ADVERTISEMENT

New ADM numbers

6 cant happen I dont think. The way I understand it, there can't be more than 64 schools per classification. To satisfy that by law there will have to be at least 7 classes.
That is the most ridiculous rule. Can only have 64 schools but open enrollment schools dominate small classifications. Fix the main problem then deal with the number of classifications.

That is the most ridiculous rule. Can only have 64 schools but open enrollment schools dominate small classifications. Fix the main problem then deal with the number of classifications.
There is a bill sitting in the state house that will allow open enrollment in the whole state

• Angry
Reactions: BK13T-$
There is a bill sitting in the state house that will allow open enrollment in the whole state
Open enrollment specifically is not the issue but in 1A it is. Look at the state finalist for the last decade in 1A. Charters, magnets, and Parochials. WS prep dominated 1A basketball with a team that competed equally against top 4A teams. Open enrollment bi-annually in Forsyth County. Bishop McGuiness was even stronger in girls basketball with non Catholic players from several counties.

Open enrollment specifically is not the issue but in 1A it is. Look at the state finalist for the last decade in 1A. Charters, magnets, and Parochials. WS prep dominated 1A basketball with a team that competed equally against top 4A teams. Open enrollment bi-annually in Forsyth County. Bishop McGuiness was even stronger in girls basketball with non Catholic players from several counties.
It can be an issue in 2a also look at Reidsville this last off season at least this way everyone can be on level playing field

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tarheel fan1
I have no idea why the NCHSAA is so fixated with 64 teams max per class. Heck, anything less than 80 would work!!! Beats the 100+ in each classification we have now. Would like to see different scenarios put together with six, seven, and eight classes, then see which would work best.

Wait till the legislature takes over and put it under DPI and tHEY will, they’ve voted on it. The nchsaa is on the way out. I mean if you’re going to get political, admit it and do it!

I have no idea why the NCHSAA is so fixated with 64 teams max per class. Heck, anything less than 80 would work!!! Beats the 100+ in each classification we have now. Would like to see different scenarios put together with six, seven, and eight classes, then see which would work best.
I would imagine 64 cap so they can say 32 make playoffs. That way no less than 50% teams get in.

Reactions: amaidendevil
Looks like if you take the 64 lowest schools, by adm, only 23 of those schools have a football team. That's the 1A field.

If only 32 get in...that's 16 east and 16 west...looks like all 23 schools get in and if the split works out 11 west and 12 east...you'd have 5 and 4 1st round byes

I don't think it is the NCHSAA necessarily. This was the proposal that the/some coaches submitted and they approved, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: RD28327
Will realignment happen for 24/25 or 25/26? I made the not so bold prediction that 2A would have 4 different champions in this four year rotation. I’d hate to see I was wrong because of politicians.

Not a dig LOL honestly I'm envious. I wish Catawba County didn't have strict enrollment standards.

We do have strict enrollment standards. Them kids moved here legally. Just like your qb did last year, when everyone was taking digs at you guys. It’s nothing wrong with it

Reactions: Maiden Creek
First let me say I have always supported 6 classifications - but that's not happening so it's a moot point.

The reason for going to 8 is that if you divide the current number of schools by 7 we are already at 62 or so and the bylaws say that you can have no more than 64. If we go to 8 you are looking at about 54 per classification so there is room for growth.

I still think it would have made more sense to just stay at 4 and subdivide the playoffs because making conferences is a lot easier with 4, but again, it's not happening so it's a moot point.

As for the 1A/2A situation, I think you could see them reduce 1A to 16 teams qualifying (just eliminate a round of playoffs). Or they may combine with 2A in football - also a possibility.

First let me say I have always supported 6 classifications - but that's not happening so it's a moot point.

The reason for going to 8 is that if you divide the current number of schools by 7 we are already at 62 or so and the bylaws say that you can have no more than 64. If we go to 8 you are looking at about 54 per classification so there is room for growth.

I still think it would have made more sense to just stay at 4 and subdivide the playoffs because making conferences is a lot easier with 4, but again, it's not happening so it's a moot point.

As for the 1A/2A situation, I think you could see them reduce 1A to 16 teams qualifying (just eliminate a round of playoffs). Or they may combine with 2A in football - also a possibility.
Yes they mentioned that in the bylaws...but I didn't remember the percentage of teams...it's 50% or less...so yeah they would reduce a round or join with 2A

Reactions: beamer24
Combining 1a with 2a defeats the point in more classes. Which is to make there less of an enrollment difference between teams in classifications competing for a state championship
Those of us in 1A tend to get fixated on our circumstance. Decisions will likely be more holistic. The folks in 3A and 4A generally don’t give a rat’s patootie about the relatively small numerical differences on our end of the spectrum.
Stay tuned.

Seven would work if 1a was allowed 80 schools.
2a-7a would be at 54 in each classes.

Is these the numbers nchssa will use in 2025 for classifications?
I remember last time ppl getting confused and going by the wrong numbers (highschoolot)

Last edited:
6 cant happen I dont think. The way I understand it, there can't be more than 64 schools per classification. To satisfy that by law there will have to be at least 7 classes.
Yes that's how it looks.....I wish there would be a class just for non-traditional public schools (including charter schools, statewide schools, private schools) but I believe the wording says only ADM will be taken into account for dividing the classes.....wish they would give us more parameters....not only how many classes but where the divisions will be.....I've got a feeling we're going to have almost all split conferences except for in the large cities where right now there is a large concentration of 4A schools

Yes that's how it looks.....I wish there would be a class just for non-traditional public schools (including charter schools, statewide schools, private schools) but I believe the wording says only ADM will be taken into account for dividing the classes.....wish they would give us more parameters....not only how many classes but where the divisions will be.....I've got a feeling we're going to have almost all split conferences except for in the large cities where right now there is a large concentration of 4A schools
I see there possibly being split conferences with 3 classes too like the HSOT mentioned. Almost have to with the edge schools (far east and far west)

Conferences are going to be a confusing mess. I agree you will probably see 3-class split conferences. Would have been simpler to leave it as is, and then just sub-divide like we used to do in football.
I would rather see only 3 classes for realignment into conferences, NO SPLIT CONFERENCES, then subdivide the three classes into 6 divisions for playoffs (maybe even 7 with the charter/statewide having their own bracket)

I would rather see only 3 classes for realignment into conferences, NO SPLIT CONFERENCES, then subdivide the three classes into 6 divisions for playoffs (maybe even 7 with the charter/statewide having their own bracket)
Probably still too big of a gap between smallest and biggest schools in the subdivision

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Probably still too big of a gap between smallest and biggest schools in the subdivision
yea, I suppose the schools with 180 kids wouldn't want to be a "1A conference" where they're matched up against schools with 800 or and still in the bottom 33%....so for my plan, instead of doing a 33/34/33 split (like we used to 25/25/25/25.....or that one cycle when it was 20/30/30/20) set a cutoff line around 600 or so for 1A, then set a cut a cutoff line around 1200-1300 for 2A, and everybody above that is 3A....could even have more than two subdivisions of a classification (especially 3A) if needed to avoid too many, in essence having 7 (or 8) classes for playoff brackets....and/or take enrollment into consideration (just as much, if not more than travel distance) when aligning conferences....there are all kinds of ways they could tinker with it, but nothing's going to be perfect, nothing's going to satisfy everybody, and even when they take a certain action to avoid something from happening, then something different that's a bigger headache will happen.....I'm sure many remember the pod system that we used for football playoffs (on top of subdivisions) around 2011 & 2012....designed to reduce travel....great idea in 1A...because many years we had teams in the West bracket like North Duplin, Lakewood, Hobbton, West Columbus, Granville Central, Graham, Cummings, Jordan-Matthews, Chatham Central, North Moore, East Bladen.....and for these it's not but so bad if you get South Davidson or South Stanly or Thomasville or Albemarle.....but Robbinsville, Swain, Cherokee, Murphy, Mitchell you have to leave school before lunch time for a playoff game.....so the pod system was supposed to make sure that the teams that were definitely in the eastern part of the state who got put in the west bracket would be in the "Midwest" pod while the "West" pod turned into a Smoky Mountain conference tournament with maybe Mt. Airy and/or Elkin & Starmount thrown in.....but they might be Midwest too, and it's still quite a drive from East Bladen to Mount Airy....the pod system somewhat theoretically reduced east-west travel but did not take into account north-south.....I've been the stat guy for South Granville for 19 years....our longest playoff road trip during that time came in one of those pod system years in 2012 when we had to go South Columbus for a 2nd Rd playoff game in the Mideast pod (just a few miles further than going to Whiteville here in 2023)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT