Votes: 85 63.4%
  • Hibriten

Votes: 49 36.6%

• Total voters
See!!!

The spinning has begun.

Told ya!!!

Today is just Wednesday.

Wait until he/they get fired up around Friday!!

Ha saw on the "other site" this game being labeled "Drive for 5! vs 5th Time the Charm?" -- thought that was funny.

I wasn't alive for '79 game. I was a junior in '03 and that loss was devastating -- so close, just ran into a program that was more comfortable and used to being on that stage. '10 was a brutal loss to WR in an all-time classic game. Last year ... ouch - that was the kind of loss that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

It's also what has me really concerned about Friday night. Yes, Hibriten has a unique offense that is really tough to defend. Our athletes and that scheme have yielded great results -- consistently avg. 40+ points/game for several years. The problem is, it's COMPLETELY one dimensional.

Now, it'll work all day during the regular season and even early in the playoffs when we can just "out-athlete" teams. But, when you get in this position, you can bet all the money in the world the team on the other side has a) just as much talent b) great coaching.

If I'm Shelby, it's really simple. I get my hands on the film from last years South Point game and implement the exact.same.game plan. Only blueprint you need.

I really thought after last year Coach Lewis would've had a come to jesus moment and realize he desperately needed to implement some sort of a passing game. ANYTHING. Doesn't have to be a well-oiled machine. It just has to be competent. It just has to be enough to keep the defense honest and prevent them from stacking the box. I'm extremely disappointed we haven't seen any progress in that area. AT ALL. You knew you were going to run through the conference with ease. You had all those game to work on something, get live game reps for this exact game/moment. We saw NOTHING.

BREAKING NEWS: Shelby has athletes. Shelby has seen South Point year in and year out. When they line up against us Friday night, it will be nothing new.

There is no mystery coming into this game. They will stack the box and dare our QB to beat them ... and that spells disaster for us. We often get out-coached in these moments/these big-time games...

I hope I'm wrong about how Friday night turns out, though I fear I'm not. But hey, I'm a Hibriten fan and I'm a State fan. It's Jimmy V week - "never give up" ! 5th times the charm -- show me you got something up your sleeve, Clay Lewis. Prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Very good synopsis. I have seen times where we came out and threw it early this year with little to no success. And it seems it just gets scrapped and we go back to the flexbone. I'm optimistic that we will try a few different things if need be Friday.
In 2003 Molly was a good passer and 2010 Isabel was a good passer i think that is what gave those teams the balance more so than just play calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio tarheels
Striker,

2 things I would say about your post...

1. I don’t have a bad taste in my mouth about last year because we just flat out got beat!!

2. There were numerous times during conference games that we would try to pass for a series after we got a big lead and were unsuccessful... Usually went back to running then put the backups in during 2nd half.... Not sure if it’s the o-line, the scheme or just not enough practice but with the athletes we have you think they be able to throw a little at last

This is probably better suited for a sidebar conversation, but oh well -- can you guys give me a breakdown of what things/processes/schemes changed (if any) when Lewis took over for Cannon?

I appreciate the little insight into the current passing game. Obviously, my memories are from the early and mid 2000's. Being away from Lenoir for a decade now, I've only got stat lines and write-ups from newstopic/daily record, FFN highlights, and occasional radio coverage to go off.

I said earlier this game is on Clay Lewis' shoulders and I stick by that. I am confident in Hibriten defense, but even the best defense needs offensive output in games like this. Lewis is a smart coach and I trust he has something up his sleeve for Shelby.

COACH Lewis and staff, Patriot Nation is behind you!!

This is probably better suited for a sidebar conversation, but oh well -- can you guys give me a breakdown of what things/processes/schemes changed (if any) when Lewis took over for Cannon?

I appreciate the little insight into the current passing game. Obviously, my memories are from the early and mid 2000's. Being away from Lenoir for a decade now, I've only got stat lines and write-ups from newstopic/daily record, FFN highlights, and occasional radio coverage to go off.
I can’t really help there because I’ve only seen the program in the last 4 years...

Offense hasn't changed much since 2000. We started with the wing-t and it progressed to the flexbone. Our passing game has always been the homerun ball off of play action with some screens. Defense went from a 3-3 stack to a 4-3 with Mackey.
Overall I think the program has just continued to progess. Cannon took over a program with no history. Lewis took over a program that was used to winning 10 games and used to going to the playoffs.

I said earlier this game is on Clay Lewis' shoulders and I stick by that. I am confident in Hibriten defense, but even the best defense needs offensive output in games like this. Lewis is a smart coach and I trust he has something up his sleeve for Shelby.

Right, and let's not forget, we all were saying the same things about last years defense. Hell, I think they gave up less than 7 points a game during the regular season with a handful of shutouts.

People who only saw the box score the next morning after the South Point game were mocking our defense. Wondering what the hell were talking about. But they were constantly put in short field situations all night because the offense couldn't move the ball. Fearful we might see the same thing Friday night....

Last year South Point executed the veer pass exceptionally (which was something they hadn't done all year).
Hibriten missed 2 wide open receivers that would have both went for scores and narrowed the margin.

Offense hasn't changed much since 2000. We started with the wing-t and it progressed to the flexbone. Our passing game has always been the homerun ball off of play action with some screens. Defense went from a 3-3 stack to a 4-3 with Mackey.
Overall I think the program has just continued to progess. Cannon took over a program with no history. Lewis took over a program that was used to winning 10 games and used to going to the playoffs.

Oh no question, Chuck left Lewis with a senior team in '10 (and a program that was getting used to double-digit win seasons and conf championships) and he's maintained that level of success. He deserves a lot of credit. Hoping he get us to that next level.

He obviously knows way more than me, but this year seems like a lot of the others. We've got a stable of running backs, right? If nothing else, line some of those guys up at WR. Run a bubble screen or something and allow them to get out in space? Defense will at least have to take notice and would likely pull a defender out of the box. Multiple playmakers in different spots makes the defense defend sideline to sideline.

I remember a playoff game at freedom a few years ago where the QB threw 3 ints and fumbled twice and BJ had over 400 rushing yards and the freedom fans blamed BJ lol

We let a couple of trophy years slip by. MIKE helms got pretty close, and Blair Hardin, I believe could have finished the job but jumped ship. The player/coach combo that is needed to win championships doesn't come around often here, but I believe we again have the coach and a lot of the players to make some noise the next couple of years..... if JBB doesnt jump out!

Last edited:
Freedom bball on the other hand has little to no turnover at coaching positions, boys and girls. Competitive year in and year out and are in position most every year to win it all.

Last edited:
Freedom bball on the other hand has little to no turnover rate at coaching positions, boys and girls. Competitive year in and year out and are in position most every year to win it all.
I herd they was having issues with parents this year already

Everybody thinks their son is the star QB, RB, WR, Point Guard,
shooting guard, pitcher, shortstop........

Beamer24 is wrong. '78, '79, '80 under Ted Luckadoo were some very good years.
According to go big green this is Hibritens record since the school was founded.
2017*14-0
2016*14-1
2015 8-6
2014 6-5
2013 12-2
2012 7-5
2011 6-6
2010 12-3
2009*13-1
2008*12-2
2007 8-5
2006 4-8
2005 5-7
2004*10-3
2003*13-2
2002 10-3
2001 3-7
2000 4-7
1999 2-9
1998 7-4
1997 8-4
1996 4-7
1995 8-5
1994 6-5
1993 1-9
1992 0-10
1991 0-10
1990 3-7
1989 1-9
1988 2-8
1987 2-8
1986 6-4
1985 3-7
1984 0-10
1983 7-5
1982 6-4
1981 4-5-1
1980 2-8
1979* 10-2-1
1978 7-3
1977 5-5
1976 1-9
1975 3-6-1
1974 4-6
1973 3-7
1972 7-4

Hibriten folks: Have Coach Lewis call Mike Helms and ask him what the secret to Shelby is. While at Freedom Helms was 3-0 against the Golden lions.

I think Clay Lewis is a very good coach but if he had a lot up his sleeve for Shelby he would have had it up his sleeve in some other big games previous. I think Hibriten's defense will keep them in the game but Shelby has a way of finishing and they are proving that just by the fact they are still standing. Shelby's corner could not stay with South Point's Ray Grier but he was smart enough to hold him throughout the night taking a penalty rather than giving up 6. South Point even in the second game had opportunities to put them away but when Shelby gets rolling they find a way to win. Ask Mt. Pleasant. I thought coming in when the pairing came in that Mt Pleasant might be better than most of us thought. And they were.

Orangecrush95 we appreciate the vote of confidence but ED fans know we have to play 2 very tough teams before that can happen.

Your right ND is a good team. I seen them play except on video. ED is big and physical not really fast that might be there weakness if any.
i appreciate your kind words but "not really fast"??? actually great team speed is one of our greatest traits this season! but still, one game at a time!

Reactions: Orangecrush95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT