ADVERTISEMENT

7 Classifications

It wasn't that long ago that Virginia only went up to 3A (until 2012) and now they have up to 6-A. North Carolina should follow that model. Whatever they did works.

VA had a 2-9 team make the playoffs. They had teams in the second round with one win against an opponent with a winning record. There were a lot of games that weren't even close. Anyone that paid attention could tell you who the heavy favorites were to win 5A and 6A early in the season. Their lower classes were more competitive, but 5A and 6A, maybe a couple teams. I'd bet most of them would tell you 6 classes is too many.

Last edited:
NC 686 high schools 1A-4A
SC 329 high schools 1A-5A
VA 386 high schools 1A-6A
TN 485 high schools 1A-6A
GA 525 high schools 1A-7A

Most high schools with the fewest divisions.

That number does not include private schools. NC has 981 high schools all together.
Your numbers are not correct for NC! Not sure about the other states.

There are just shy of 400 football members in the NCHSAA. Less than 450 schools total in the NCHSAA.

Less get that corrected so people are not pushing for ten classifications.

Was Looking at New Jersey because their student population numbers are similar to NC. They are set up...
Group V North
Group V South
Group IV North
Group IV South
Group III North
Group III South
Group II North
Group II South
Group I North
Group I South
NJ is one of the most screwed up structure of all the states. Not interested in following their plan.

Reactions: smashmouth5
About twelve years ago the NCHSAA went to the schools with different proposals. The one I thought was best for the state was to have a football only alignment and then one for all other sports. The schools were against it as they felt it could hurt overall rivalries and would be too confusing. Total Nonsense.

Football plays on Friday nights 99% of the games. JV on Thursday but they have four or five away games a year. Football team may have forty or more players and a dozen or more total staff (including support).

A basketball team playing a long distance from home on a Tuesday night is tough. Throw in the winter roads, got to remember some teams are in tougher conditions, and a boys game may be not starting until 8:30 or later.

When the classifications increase and the number of teams decrease you go to split conferences and possibly more travel.

It is not an easy solution but I think five is the max they should look at for next alignment. See how that goes and then look at other options four years later.

The site should not be used for athletic purposes. Take a look at some of the schools listed. Example: Olympic High School in Charlotte is listed six times because it has six separate curriculums within the school. For sports there is one Olympic High School. Not to mention some of the schools that have a very limited enrollment and no sports teams. Chapel Hill has Phoenix Academy HS with 29 students.

Click on your town or towns in your area and you will see schools that you may not be aware of.

The site should not be used for athletic purposes. Take a look at some of the schools listed. Example: Olympic High School in Charlotte is listed six times because it has six separate curriculums within the school. For sports there is one Olympic High School. Not to mention some of the schools that have a very limited enrollment and no sports teams. Chapel Hill has Phoenix Academy HS with 29 students.

Click on your town or towns in your area and you will see schools that you may not be aware of.
I understand that but does the NCHSAA have a link to look at. The TSSAA does and shows the breakdown for sports. Here the link.

Reactions: smashmouth5

Reactions: Appvol
About twelve years ago the NCHSAA went to the schools with different proposals. The one I thought was best for the state was to have a football only alignment and then one for all other sports. The schools were against it as they felt it could hurt overall rivalries and would be too confusing. Total Nonsense.

Football plays on Friday nights 99% of the games. JV on Thursday but they have four or five away games a year. Football team may have forty or more players and a dozen or more total staff (including support).

A basketball team playing a long distance from home on a Tuesday night is tough. Throw in the winter roads, got to remember some teams are in tougher conditions, and a boys game may be not starting until 8:30 or later.

When the classifications increase and the number of teams decrease you go to split conferences and possibly more travel.

It is not an easy solution but I think five is the max they should look at for next alignment. See how that goes and then look at other options four years later.
The best thing is football being it's own thing. That would be the first thing for me if I had a choice.

Reactions: btango
On the 1A board, there is a link to the High School OT article, where Que references 432 schools, but that some sports have less schools. btango, doesn’t that 600+ link also include virtual charters, early colleges, etc, that don’t field sports teams?
Yes. Stanly County has four football playing public schools plus the charter school with no football. Add the early college at the community college, early college at Albemarle HS, virtual school, and the high school for students with discplinary issues. That would count as nine instead of 4/5 as the NCHSAA membership would be.

Charlotte has loads of schools listd that do not play in the NCHSAA.

Reactions: ocdavis31
If you go to Maxpreps and look at their rankings for each class it shows
1a 67 schools
2a 101 schools
3a 105 schools
4a 107 schools
380 schools total does that sound right.

That is football and non football would be about 430ish I expect.
So there is now way every sport can be 6 or 7 classes. You can take 6 and 7 divide it into 380 to get a idea of how many schools in each class in football if they divide evenly

So there is now way every sport can be 6 or 7 classes. You can take 6 and 7 divide it into 380 to get a idea of how many schools in each class in football if they divide evenly
Some sports maybe different classification

That’s the part that concerns me. So, you may be in one conference or region for basketball and another for golf or volleyball. Maybe a third for girl’s track.
But more schools get a state title. Isn't that the whole premise. As one multi time state championship coach wrote in his biography, "qualified for state playoffs x times when making the playoffs meant something."

But more schools get a state title. Isn't that the whole premise. As one multi time state championship coach wrote in his biography, "qualified for state playoffs x times when making the playoffs meant something."
That’s true. I’m a traditionalist. Regular rivals that build interest through competition throughout multiple sports. Yeah, you got us in football, but we kicked your butt in every other sport. Believe me, we hear that a lot in Thomasville.
I’d rather have thirty conference championships in six sports than one state championship in one. But I’m probably the exception.

Reactions: btango
That’s the part that concerns me. So, you may be in one conference or region for basketball and another for golf or volleyball. Maybe a third for girl’s track.
Well in AZ Football can be 5A but all other sports
Maybe 3A I doubt if they go 7A here I doubt all sport all different classifications I bet it would football n basketball maybe 5A n all other 6A or whatever so

What’s wrong with letting the little schools play each other
Nothing but calling a school a state champion when there are 25 teams to compete against is a big of a reach especially when the other schools are competing about 60 plus which I think is good solid number.

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
Nothing but calling a school a state champion when there are 25 teams to compete against is a big of a reach especially when the other schools are competing about 60 plus which I think is good solid number.
More of the little schools may start a football program if they don’t have to compete with schools 2 or 3 times their size

Reactions: BK13T-$
I thought that private schools had their own organization (NCISAA) and would be in a different "mix" altogether. Charter schools included in the NCHSAA, right?
Thinking again, maybe you are saying the same thing but in a different way from me?
could be, NC confused me when I came back and there were 2 subclasses in each class. but in any sense the charters and smalls would likely have their own classification or just absorbed in the 1A and then got up to 6A. Who knows our state is backwards when it comes to high school sports anyhow. I don't trust anything the higher ups do.

These 7 have nothing to do with private schools
Sorry folks, in Indiana private schools played as part of the regular hsaa. Been away a while and it seems just about everywhere I've been does it better than we do.

Can we make a Sweet 16 classification? 8 of the largest Wake County or neighboring county schools. 8 of the largest Mecklenburg or neighboring county schools and let them play each other. Then after 2 years use the adm numbers to reorganize the class. That would give them 7 conference games and a 5 round playoff. With Wake vs Mech. "east vs west".

Can we make a Sweet 16 classification? 8 of the largest Wake County or neighboring county schools. 8 of the largest Mecklenburg or neighboring county schools and let them play each other. Then after 2 years use the adm numbers to reorganize the class. That would give them 7 conference games and a 5 round playoff. With Wake vs Mech. "east vs west".
Larger ADM does not equal best teams. SC had the Sweet 16. They played one additional regular season game than the other four classifications but one less playoff game if I remember correctly. Been a long time. SC then went to a straight four classes later subdividing 1A and 4A because of the disparity in numbers from largest to smallest schools. 2A then voted to do the same and 3A did so initially but the 3A schools eventually voted against it.

Reactions: nepsy7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT