ADVERTISEMENT

7 Classifications

I like it… North Carolina 4A High Schools with Attendance of (2500 Students plus) is equal to Georgia 6-A. The overall perception around the country is “4-A“ in some States seems “smalltime” when evaluating talent to the next level. Most College Coaches know better and factor this in; but national media loves to say 7-A or 6-A especially at these ALLSTAR games over the next few weeks. They won’t say the others like (midtier) unless it’s a recruit like Hershel Walker from a 1-A school.

I don’t mind 5 but for conference purposes a 5a northwest guilford for example would have to travel all the way to Raleigh or Charlotte just for conference games because I doubt Grimsley or page enrollment would qualify 5a depending on the cutoffs...that would be a logistic nightmare and expensive

I don’t mind 5 but for conference purposes a 5a northwest guilford for example would have to travel all the way to Raleigh or Charlotte just for conference games because I doubt Grimsley or page enrollment would qualify 5a depending on the cutoffs...that would be a logistic nightmare and expensive
Pretty sure they would make 5A something where the conference would be like NW, Nothern, Grimsley, E Forsyth, West Fors. and Davie or something like that. They will likely make it like 1500 plus for 5A. Then massage the lower classes

Y'all are forgetting that private schools are factored in there somewhere so they would maybe have 1 or 2 classifications and then there would be the other 5 classifications most likely.

• Wow
Reactions: BK13T-$
I’m okay with it, but doesn’t come without its questions. We gonna go back to split conferences everywhere? Or are we going to increase travel for schools to make conferences all the same class?

Y'all are forgetting that private schools are factored in there somewhere so they would maybe have 1 or 2 classifications and then there would be the other 5 classifications most likely.
These 7 have nothing to do with private schools

Reactions: ocdavis31
Morning everyone,
IMO we have to stop thinking about realignment and classes from a football-only standpoint. We have to take into consideration all the sports across the board. Geography and population density play a huge factor in NC. The more equality that we can create across the board FOR ALL SPORTS is what's best for all the student-athletes across NC. We all love football, Lord knows I do, but it's time for basketball, baseball, softball, and every other sport to get the same number of champions. I can speak from experience, you will be just as happy if your respective school wins a title in any sport whether it's called 1a, 2a, Division 3, or the Big 7. A title at any level is something for every community and school to be proud of. Lastly, if we will remember to do what's best for kids and care less about what the adults want, athletics as a whole in NC will be a lot better.

I thought that private schools had their own organization (NCISAA) and would be in a different "mix" altogether. Charter schools included in the NCHSAA, right?
Thinking again, maybe you are saying the same thing but in a different way from me?

Pretty sure they would make 5A something where the conference would be like NW, Nothern, Grimsley, E Forsyth, West Fors. and Davie or something like that. They will likely make it like 1500 plus for 5A. Then massage the lower classes
but 1500 for 5a compared to a audrey kell or providence in charlotte with 2,600 kids is a huge gap

Reactions: OptionFreak
How will one county schools be level with everyone else having open enrollment?

Morning everyone,
IMO we have to stop thinking about realignment and classes from a football-only standpoint. We have to take into consideration all the sports across the board. Geography and population density play a huge factor in NC. The more equality that we can create across the board FOR ALL SPORTS is what's best for all the student-athletes across NC. We all love football, Lord knows I do, but it's time for basketball, baseball, softball, and every other sport to get the same number of champions. I can speak from experience, you will be just as happy if your respective school wins a title in any sport whether it's called 1a, 2a, Division 3, or the Big 7. A title at any level is something for every community and school to be proud of. Lastly, if we will remember to do what's best for kids and care less about what the adults want, athletics as a whole in NC will be a lot better.
We need to classify football on it's on

Reactions: btango and Appvol
Using this as an example. Tennessee just had new cycle for sports. TN goes to 6a and is a lot smaller than NC. They have no split conferences. Here is what is done for all sports. Football is the only sport with 6 classes. North Carolina needs at least go to 6 classes.

Region play will come into affect with the new 7A just like Tennessee has. It could make for some big travel nights at times. Some schools travel 2+ hours for a region game. Will make JV football nights long and those Tuesday Night basketball and baseball games hard to.

Region play will come into affect with the new 7A just like Tennessee has. It could make for some big travel nights at times. Some schools travel 2+ hours for a region game. Will make JV football nights long and those Tuesday Night basketball and baseball games hard to.
Is what it is though. Better than split conferences. My son played in TN. Had a region game 180 miles away 3hr trip. You could play JV games with schools close by.

Reactions: WESTERNOC44
Is what it is though. Better than split conferences. My son played in TN. Had a region game 180 miles away 3hr trip. You could play JV games with schools close by.
I am not a fan of split conferences either. I do like the way TN does playoffs with Regions idk if NC would do that though.

In AZ they use Region instead conference and they go up 6A but they only do a 1-16 for playoff tho so - IF NC goes to Region play instead of Conferences Travel time would be crazy bc in AZ they travel up to 3-4 Hrs for all sports and also Football in own entity so Football can be 3A n all other sports can be 5A so which seem could be happening here as well bc if they go 7 classifications some sports would be in different classifications

I just didn’t think this would work in NC in AZ u have more land n rural places so that’s why travel so much farther so In NC 5 or 6 maybe best but Looks like Coaches thought this is a good idea from the article so

NC 686 high schools 1A-4A
SC 329 high schools 1A-5A
VA 386 high schools 1A-6A
TN 485 high schools 1A-6A
GA 525 high schools 1A-7A

Most high schools with the fewest divisions.

That number does not include private schools. NC has 981 high schools all together.

Morning everyone,
Spoken by someone who knows. Good points. Hope you and your family are well.

Reactions: basehittin2
NC 686 high schools 1A-4A
SC 329 high schools 1A-5A
VA 386 high schools 1A-6A
TN 485 high schools 1A-6A
GA 525 high schools 1A-7A

Most high schools with the fewest divisions.

That number does not include private schools. NC has 981 high schools all together.
I disagree I think it’s actually better when football is it own entity and other sport is control on its own entity so then u don’t have a issue with football controlling the narrative and such that’s how it is in AZ but AIA control everything in AZ so Officals go thru AIA- Scheduling- Etc they like 1A-3A has its own board the. 4A-6A own board etc so

GA classes are smaller than ours.
Tennessee is about 350 for 1a

GA
47 schools 7A
56 schools 6A
56 schools 5A
57 schools 4A
56 schools 3A
57 schools 2A
85 schools 1A

It’s enlightening to read that the “out of zone” students count three times an in zone student in Georgia. Wonder how they define “zones”? Do they have magnet schools? Open enrollment districts? Seems that could get very complicated. What about charter schools that draw from a whole county, or more?
Others might be able to offer more insight. I believe they have restricted open enrollment. Privates get a district assigned service area that's used to determine enrollment/classification.

Was Looking at New Jersey because their student population numbers are similar to NC. They are set up...
Group V North
Group V South
Group IV North
Group IV South
Group III North
Group III South
Group II North
Group II South
Group I North
Group I South

Using this as an example. Tennessee just had new cycle for sports. TN goes to 6a and is a lot smaller than NC. They have no split conferences. Here is what is done for all sports. Football is the only sport with 6 classes. North Carolina needs at least go to 6 classes.

I didn’t know schools in this state has bowling as a sport. That’s interesting. I will add. Would be neat if schools had shooting pool as a sport. If I was still in school. I would be all for that. Lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT