ADVERTISEMENT

7 Classifications

Idk that we will see "conferences" anymore with the new plan. I think it goes to region play like they do in TN or VA.

So Tennessee has 6 Classes and then separate divisions for private schools?

I do like that they realign every 2 years. In a state like NC where new schools are being built and populations shift it makes a lot more sense to realign every 2 years.

They said no more than 64 each class. Will they stay with that thinking?

So Tennessee has 6 Classes and then separate divisions for private schools?

I do like that they realign every 2 years. In a state like NC where new schools are being built and populations shift it makes a lot more sense to realign every 2 years.
Tennessee has a lot of privates playing in their association unlike NC.

I say that you go from the bottom up when creating conferences and making classifications. Your smallest and largest classifications may not have the same as the classifications in the middle. Example 1A and 7A may have fewer schools

Reactions: btango
But fewer in 1a with 7 classes would be 40 schools?
Only 15 of those would have football
You need to take out the non football or make 1a larger. Around 388 have football.

But fewer in 1a with 7 classes would be 40 schools?
Only 15 of those would have football
You need to take out the non football or make 1a larger. Around 388 have football.
Right now there are 382 teams that play football but I could be wrong lets go with 388 thats about 55 teams per classification at 7 Classifications. if you want to eliminate split conferences then NC should go to 5 classifications where each classification gets about 78 teams. If you go to 6 classifcations then each would get 64 not bad. After that you are ensuring split conferences

Reactions: btango
People do not understand that a lot of the items that are complained about will be increased with more classes although it will fix some other issues.

I think one structure that may allow for less classifications with more flexibility is to have two alignments. One for football and one for all other sports. Let the football coaches have a lot of input on their setup. Football is totally different than other sports logistically. One game a week on Friday other than JV and you play each team once so the road trip alternates years. A conference that works great for Friday Night Football may be brutal for the winter sports traveling Monday through Thursday nights.

I was adding a few because new ones are joining this yr and next.

Five would make 1a the same as now basically. Or I'm I wrong on that?

We have two teams over 700 now. One near 800.

It would move those bigger schools out or at least it should. Also I think that the realignment should happen every 2 years not 4. With the new schools being built you would have less layover with teams that are too big or too small playing out of classification

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
My question is. Take for example. Let just say there are 6 classifications for football. Will there be also 6 classifications to all the other sports as well.

I had someone mention to me about JV being it's own thing too. Ex Crest, Burns, KM, Shelby would be in the same JV con but not at Varsity level. Similar to the middle school set-up where you don't have as much travel. Not sure how that would work but I do know the transportation costs for schools are going out the roof.

@btango is right about classing football and then the other sports separately.

Reactions: loveithere
If JV is going to be it's own animal then the state would need to give it up and let the schools set it up themselves. I think most schools would not be too enthusaed with that option. A school is going to get left out by four or five others and be on an island. Sounds great in theory but do not see that working too well.

Reactions: smashmouth5
I would say 7 classes would be perfect given the circumstances. They could make 7 regions: Far Northeast, Far Southeast, Mid Northeast, Mid Southeast, Mid Northwest, Mid Southwest, and Far Southwest. That would largely solve the travel issue to an extent. Non-football sports will be just fine. As far as football is concerned, there can still be 7 classes, but 1A can either have a 16 team playoff bracket or bump up and make a split 1A/2A bracket. And yes, while charter schools are strong, they're not unbeatable. There are ways to solve the problem. They may have the solutions, just not the fancy words to put on paper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT