ADVERTISEMENT

3AA Games to Watch

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Thoughts and opinions...keep it civil!!

Southern Durham (7-4) @ Western Alamance (9-2) - Two historically strong programs meeting in the first round. I look for a very exciting game here with lots of playmakers on each team.

Erwin (6-5) @ Sun Valley (8-3) - The scoreboard operator will be busy here with 2 of the best passing QBs in the state battling it out. This game also has a chance to be the longest game played because of both team's passing attack. It may come down to the last possession.

Erwin's QB has been dealing with a injury for 4 weeks. Hopefully he is healed and ready to play. If he is okay I expect a tight high scoring game and if not we could be in for a long night. How is the SV running game? How is SV secondary?

Erwin/SV final may be 58-56, seriously! I've seen both and both defenses aren't very strong, and both offenses can score on anyone! QB's are both very good, both teams can run the ball very effectively, it's going to be fun to see how this one turns out. IF ACR can get by CC, we will have our hands full with either one.

Erwin/SV final may be 58-56, seriously! I've seen both and both defenses aren't very strong, and both offenses can score on anyone! QB's are both very good, both teams can run the ball very effectively, it's going to be fun to see how this one turns out. IF ACR can get by CC, we will have our hands full with either one.

Depending on which Central Cabarrus team shows up that night that game could be a very interesting game although I do see A.C. ultimately taking care of business.

Erwin @ Sun Valley: This will be an offensive game all the way, I agree with you there. I hope the scoreboard operator is ready for a busy night!

Concord @ Marvin Ridge: This should be an interesting game. Concord hasn't played very many playoff games away from Bailey Stadium so it will be interesting to see how they handle themselves on the road.

Asheville @ Hickory Ridge: HR is one of the hottest teams in the area right now but Asheville's 6-5 record seems to be very deceiving, they are much better than that. This should be a very competitive game.

All of the other games in the 3AA West: I believe the home teams will be victorious.

Ledford @ Kings Mtn....both 8-3, 2nd place in respective conferences. More like a 2nd round game in the 1st round.

Yes, I totally agree, SV and Erwin will be a great game for the fans to watch. Just like the San Diego Chargers of the 1980's, this will be a 52-49 kinda game, probably going SV's way. If they face AC Reynolds the next week, it's over. They have the horses to shut down the SV offense.

Yep, Southern Durham and Western Alamance has the potential to be an outstanding game. Be interesting to see how WA does with SD's size on the lines.

Reactions: tarheel fan1
Thoughts and opinions...keep it civil!!

Southern Durham (7-4) @ Western Alamance (9-2) - Two historically strong programs meeting in the first round. I look for a very exciting game here with lots of playmakers on each team.

Erwin (6-5) @ Sun Valley (8-3) - The scoreboard operator will be busy here with 2 of the best passing QBs in the state battling it out. This game also has a chance to be the longest game played because of both team's passing attack. It may come down to the last possession.

The S. Durham and W. Alamance is very interesting to me as well. Southern Durham came into the season with tons of pre-season hype, however struggled early on trying to solidify an identity on offense. Last year the identity ran through the Tar Heel Jordan Brown. He's now gone and It's been a while since S.Durham hasn't had at least 1 D-1 FBS offensive player, maybe 6 or 7 years. That state title team had 4 offensive D-1 FBS players, along with 2 more D-1 FCS players. However, this years team is plenty talented and capable of making it back to the title game. The QB holds 7 D-1 FCS offers, and possibly on the verge of picking up his first FBS offer from Conference USA. They have a 6'4 S/WR that holds FCS offers, a 6'6 TE that holds D-2 offers, another 6'3 WR that holds D-2 offers, and lastly another 6'3 185 WR that holds D-2 offers. The key to their improved offensive explosiveness over the past 5 games have been a personnel decision made by the coaches that probably should have taken place in August. After the Orange debacle, which was squarely on the coaches,t hey made the decision to move their most explosive player, a young 10th grader, who hails from the state of Florida exclusively to offense. His insertion on offense has been huge. Since doing so S. Durham has averaged 52 points a game over the 5 game winning streak. The 10th grader could be the next FBS prospect to come out of Southern Durham. But as I mentioned on other boards, S. Durham 5 game winning streak, and 52 point average has only included 1 playoff team. Western Alamance is the real deal, and based on the film I've seen, they're probably one of the best coached defenses in 3AA east. This game will definitely provide the answer to whether or not we are finally seeing the Southern Durham team that alot of the media in the Raleigh/Durham area predicted to return to the state title game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT