ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton at Goldsboro WK1

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
Game week is finally here after what seemed like the longest offseason ever probably because last year we got spoil with off-season being shorten due to Spring football but it’s finally here. Clinton takes the short drive up 403 into Wayne County to take on Goldsboro in the opener. Two teams extremely familiar with each other met in the opener last season and were foes in conference play from 2017-2021(Spring). Clinton has won all 5 of those meetings with last years match a 41-6 victory.

For Goldsboro a little different look on the sideline as Coach Tim Ray departed for Red Springs so now Cougars are being led by alumni and former Southern Wayne Coach Ronnie McClary Jr. Always special when a former player can comeback and take over his alma mater, McClary was a member of the last Goldsboro team to play for a regional title back in 2003 a close lose to Wilson Fike. I know it’s always a number of cons when a new coach takes over but focusing on the positive new life and excitement in a program and a school where their is no shortage of athletes. In the past Goldsboro has shown they have some gems but coaching decisions at time were left something to desire. Hopefully the Cougars have found their guy in McClary reading a little of his intro interview sounds fully invested in building a culture and instilling discipline in his players. I believe they got a good one sounds like a solid guy.

For Clinton we enter year 5 of the Cory Johnson tenure with a lot of optimism and excitement around the program. This bunch has been at it hard this off-season it seems like most them since the Monday after the playoff lost. Seen a lot of team building things from their renovations of the field house and locker room to the summer camps they put on for the youth in the county. It’s really been fantastic to see and read about. And I dont think I remember ever seen so many of our guys at these camps and combines too many to name but they really been busy this spring/summer. We looked good in our scrimmages a couple hiccups technical things you expect this time of the year but I see why the coaches and those around the team are excited bout this group.

Far as this game goes I don’t see Clinton having much of a problem with Goldsboro. This one of those games you want to get the early season miscues out the way,get some good reps,get that 42 early and get the heck outta there lol. Of course you want to see those mistakes from the scrimmages cleaned up. Good rhythm from your young QB I believe we will see both. Continue build that chemistry with the oline and skill guys and right now I’m willing to bet #2 runs a punt or KO back any takers lol. Defense just continue to execute with so much experience returning didn’t surprise me they looked solid in preseason play. And this may sound silly cause we didn’t get to see him in the scrimmages cause he was away at another scouting camp but this freshman kicker I want to see him in live action hopefully Johnson let’s him test that leg a bit. But not often your excited bout a kicker but it’s one of those things when you have a good one it’s really nice to have in your back pocket oppose to not having one. CJ probably still gonna go for two if we score first lol that’s his thing. And having that touchback ability is nice to one less thing to worry about coverage.

anyway I don’t expect this to breed much discussion but anyone wants to chime in a prediction feel free. I’ll say Clinton 55 Goldsboro 6

And not many posters from SAC-7 schools besides us Clinton folk but here’s a list of our fellow conference members games week 1

Wallace vs East Bladen
Hobbton vs Midway
Fairmont vs Lumberton
Red Springs vs Douglas Bryd
St Paul’s vs Metrolina Christian Academy
West Bladen vs South Columbus

And not many posters from SAC-7 schools besides us Clinton folk but here’s a list of our fellow conference members games week 1

Wallace vs East Bladen
Hobbton vs Midway
Fairmont vs Lumberton

uh oh…..Hobbton vs Midway. Could it be another 80-73 final score type game? My bet, Hobbton hangs right there with Midway.

I don't see Clinton having any trouble in this game. They looked really good in scrimmage even though they gave so many different looks and played so many different kids. That depth is an added bonus. 48-0
We took our lumps last year playing so many young kids the next two years beyond going to be special I’m hearing. A lot of reasons to be optimistic in Darkhorse country.

uh oh…..Hobbton vs Midway. Could it be another 80-73 final score type game? My bet, Hobbton hangs right there with Midway.
Yeah I believe it will be another shootout but Hobbton seems to have found some defense atleast in that scrimmage. That air raid is hard to stop if they really get some athletes on the defensive side of the ball they could be a wildcard in the 1A east not many teams can handle that offense

No good deed goes unpunished for the Dark Horse radio team who had a free Friday on their hands last year. May have been on the air longer than last weeks jamboree, lol. At least they’ll never forget it.😬

No good deed goes unpunished for the Dark Horse radio team who had a free Friday on their hands last year. May have been on the air longer than last weeks jamboree, lol. At least they’ll never forget it.😬
Dude, that was a long Monday night. Weather I think moved this game to Monday. It was at Hobbton and their pressbox is so small we had to broadcast from the bleachers which if you’ve never been to a game at Hobbton, the home side stands are concrete hog slats. I remember we had a wasp issue throughout the night. But like you said we saw history that night, but darn was it a long game, whew!

Suppose to be some bad weather in the area again this week y’all may get another chance to do a Midway/Hobbton Monday nighter lol hopefully not as long

Reactions: Maiden Creek
How’s the weather out their in Missouri? Get any fishing/camping in recently? You know Ron and I are always looking for a good camping story haha.
Its been hot and dry for a long time. Last night finally got a cold front and right now at 1200 its 66 deg and rainy. We need a break. Been to hot to go camping, in upper 90s for July and most of August. Have a camping/fishing trip cumming up end of Sept. for 5 days and 5 days last week of Oct for end of trout season.

Its been hot and dry for a long time. Last night finally got a cold front and right now at 1200 its 66 deg and rainy. We need a break. Been to hot to go camping, in upper 90s for July and most of August. Have a camping/fishing trip cumming up end of Sept. for 5 days and 5 days last week of Oct for end of trout season.
Sweet. Well if you ever come back our way, let me know would love to say hello again. It was pleasure meeting you last year. Good luck to your stallions this year.

Wallace vs East Bladen
Hobbton vs Midway
Fairmont vs Lumberton
Only poster for Fairmont .Just trying to break even this yr.

Wallace vs East Bladen
Hobbton vs Midway
Fairmont vs Lumberton
St Paul’s better be focused. Upset alert.

Reactions: dogs79 and UNC_91
Wallace vs East Bladen----------Wallace by 2td's
Hobbton vs Midway--------------Midwat bt 21
Fairmont vs Lumberton---------Fairmont over Lumberton
Red Springs vs Douglas Bryd. ----Red Springs over Douhlas Byrd
A
cada
ntExpand signature
Clinton Dark Horse Football=------

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91
Wallace vs East Bladen----------Wallace by 2td's