ADVERTISEMENT

2023 1A Baseabll brackets with bracket updates

Well Eastern Randolph makes it to third round again after another disappointing regular season. Question is can they get any further this year?
Anyone have info on Highland Tech?
They won their first two playoff games by scores of 6-1 and 1-0. So I imagine they've got some pretty good hurlers. Only other thing I know is that they're from/around Gastonia. Which means that.........on the way back, ER has to stop at Tony's for a milkshake.

They won their first two playoff games by scores of 6-1 and 1-0. So I imagine they've got some pretty good hurlers. Only other thing I know is that they're from/around Gastonia. Which means that.........on the way back, ER has to stop at Tony's for a milkshake.
And somebody better make sure them tires are good on activity bus…
Getting closer to home though 👍

n
Well Eastern Randolph makes it to third round again after another disappointing regular season. Question is can they get any further this year?
Anyone have info on Highland Tech?
They played in the Southern Piedmont 1A/2A conference which was very strong this year at the top (Cherryville and Burns). Got destroyed by Cherryville twice (16-4, 13-3) but beat up on the other two 1A teams in the conference and lost a close game to both Burns and Shelby. In both games vs Cherryville their battery was very weak (allowed lots of walks, SBs). Their defense was pretty good otherwise. I am surprised they have advanced to round three with what appears to be a couple of good pitching performances.

n

They played in the Southern Piedmont 1A/2A conference which was very strong this year at the top (Cherryville and Burns). Got destroyed by Cherryville twice (16-4, 13-3) but beat up on the other two 1A teams in the conference and lost a close game to both Burns and Shelby. In both games vs Cherryville their battery was very weak (allowed lots of walks, SBs). Their defense was pretty good otherwise. I am surprised they have advanced to round three with what appears to be a couple of good pitching performances.
Thank you sir for the information. Might be an interesting game

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Who’s coming out of the west
The favorite has to be Cherryville…I haven’t seen them play yet; but, I’ve heard from those that follow them that they have one of the best teams that they’ve had in a very long time.

Draughn is very good as well. I’ve seen them play against Maiden. The thing that stood out to me the most about Draughn was the size of their players. Good lord! They are huge! If this was a hay bale stacking contest…I’d take them!😂… but it ain’t.

I saw Uwharrie play last year at Cherryville in the playoffs…they were young but had a great team and Coach and they gave Cherryville a tough game. I would not count them out. They’ll have their hands full on Tuesday against North Stokes…that will be a really good game.

Union Academy went deep last year too…eventually losing to Cherryville…that ought to be a great game on Tuesday….the Ironmen better be ready…anything can happen in a one game shootout.

Got a feeling that the road warriors from Eastern Randolph are gonna win another one. We’ll see.

Good luck to all the teams.

n

Pretty spot on. Their conference slate is their biggest asset. They are scrappy and well coached.

Tony's is only about 2 miles from Sims Legion Park. No reason to not get a milkshake.

I would say Draughn has the best pitching staff if they continue to hit it like they are I can seem them coming out of the west, they will be very hard to beat in a 3 game series very deep pitching

Cherryville out of the West. Chatham CHarter or North Moore out of the east.

No one will come close to beating Chatham Charter until they meet North Moore or Cherryville.

Cherryville out of the West. Chatham CHarter or North Moore out of the east.

No one will come close to beating Chatham Charter until they meet North Moore or Cherryville.
CC has the pitching I agree. Chatham Central went up on them 4-0 then they’re #2 tired. Had to resort to using a young man I haven’t seen pitch since middle school. Charter did shut them out rest of way while scoring 7 runs. I am pulling for the fighting Slaughters but time will tell.

CC has the pitching I agree. Chatham Central went up on them 4-0 then they’re #2 tired. Had to resort to using a young man I haven’t seen pitch since middle school. Charter did shut them out rest of way while scoring 7 runs. I am pulling for the fighting Slaughters but time will tell.
Hard to determine how good Chatham Charter is due to the soft schedule they have played. They have great stats including their pitching and may be really good. However, those stats have not come against tough competition. Doesn't look like they played any teams outside the 1A classification.

Hard to determine how good Chatham Charter is due to the soft schedule they have played. They have great stats including their pitching and may be really good. However, those stats have not come against tough competition. Doesn't look like they played any teams outside the 1A classification.
Central might have been the best team they have played. As I said Central had no pitching left though. Now Charter still had to hit and score to win that game.
Their HC is a really good friend of mine. I think he’s a good coach as well. Billy will get them as far as he can. Wishing them luck.

Central might have been the best team they have played. As I said Central had no pitching left though. Now Charter still had to hit and score to win that game.
Their HC is a really good friend of mine. I think he’s a good coach as well. Billy will get them as far as he can. Wishing them luck.

Ididn't git to go to the game but i heard Chatham Central made some costly errors all in one inning and outside of that stretch, they had a shot to win.

I'm thinking Cherryville was playing at home tonight against Union Academy from Monroe. If that's correct surely it was postponed. Very heavy rain along with thunder, lightning and strong winds. This is suppose to go on to midnight. Must have been the same with Burns and Lincoln Charter in 2A. Guess they play tomorrow when it dries up.

Also, CBH, Cherryville isn't but about 15 minutes from here and the weather since about 7 PM has been really bad. If Cherryville can beat out Union Academy, their game with ER will more than likely be carried on YouTube by KTC Broadcasting at no charge. I'll put it on here when I find out.

Also, CBH, Cherryville isn't but about 15 minutes from here and the weather since about 7 PM has been really bad. If Cherryville can beat out Union Academy, their game with ER will more than likely be carried on YouTube by KTC Broadcasting at no charge. I'll put it on here when I find out.
Not sure what will happen with the Cherryville game. The storm that came threw tore up the small town. Some believe a small tornado took place. It blew down a big portion of the outfield fence. Maybe they get it fixed in time, but if not, the game will be moved somewhere else.

You better sir!!!!

Hate it for Cherryville. Just thankful no one was at field itself. Pictures I was shown looks like outfield fence was chewed up and spat back out.
Wildcat baseball in fourth round…
Who woulda thunk that???

Not sure what will happen with the Cherryville game. The storm that came threw tore up the small town. Some believe a small tornado took place. It blew down a big portion of the outfield fence. Maybe they get it fixed in time, but if not, the game will be moved somewhere else.
The Cherryville/Union County game was postponed but will not be played until Thursday. As was already mentioned the storms blew down part of the LF fence and most of Cherryville is out of power today. If the fence can be repaired by Thursday night the game will be in Cherryville. If not it will be at a neutral site, yet to be determined.

I’m very sorry to hear about Fraley field, I haven’t been there in decades, but it’s always struck me as symbolic of the great baseball tradition they have there. I think it looks like an old minor league stadium (it may have been when every small NC town had a D league team, back in the 50s). I hope they get to continue to host. Shelby is probably an objectively “nicer" stadium, but Cherryville has that special something.

Edit: tried to insert images, but couldn't make it work.

Last edited:
CBH, just saw on the NCHSAA website that Eastern defeated Highland Tech 3-1

Took this one in last night and waited out the storm. Last out was made around 11:30. Big 1st inning was enough for ER. Two dribblers to the mound mishandled by the HT pitcher and two base hits afterwards put 3 across in the top half.

#7 for ER pitched well and out of trouble in a few spots to keep HT scoreless through 5.

HT put one across in the 6th and was posing a rally with one on and 3-2 count to the 9 hole batter and had seemed to lose control. Then the bottom fell out....... Players took the field to warm up at 11:10 and started around 11:20.

Changed pitchers and brought in the big lefty (Strat), I believe is his name. He assumed the 3-2 count and struck the out the 9 hole to get the first out. That turned the momentum in my opinion. HT was pumped, ER coaching staff didnt seem to want to finish the game under the conditions.

Leadoff guy hit into FC, 1-6. Two hole hit a weak ball backside and was thrown out a first. Ballgame.

Great 1A baseball game.

Took this one in last night and waited out the storm. Last out was made around 11:30. Big 1st inning was enough for ER. Two dribblers to the mound mishandled by the HT pitcher and two base hits afterwards put 3 across in the top half.

#7 for ER pitched well and out of trouble in a few spots to keep HT scoreless through 5.

HT put one across in the 6th and was posing a rally with one on and 3-2 count to the 9 hole batter and had seemed to lose control. Then the bottom fell out....... Players took the field to warm up at 11:10 and started around 11:20.

Changed pitchers and brought in the big lefty (Strat), I believe is his name. He assumed the 3-2 count and struck the out the 9 hole to get the first out. That turned the momentum in my opinion. HT was pumped, ER coaching staff didnt seem to want to finish the game under the conditions.

Leadoff guy hit into FC, 1-6. Two hole hit a weak ball backside and was thrown out a first. Ballgame.

Great 1A baseball game.
Stratton is his full name. Starter was Samuel Asbill. Samuel is a junior. Hopefully he might get a chance to play at next level.
Sounds like it was a good game

The Cherryville/Union County game was postponed but will not be played until Thursday. As was already mentioned the storms blew down part of the LF fence and most of Cherryville is out of power today. If the fence can be repaired by Thursday night the game will be in Cherryville. If not it will be at a neutral site, yet to be determined.
Thanks for the update, Linkman. I was over there around noon and the power was out. It was bad enough, here, but Cherryville must have really got slammed.

As Cherryville and Union Academy will not play until Thursday, does that mean that the fourth round game featuring the winner of that game will also be delayed? The regionals will be a series next week, so I assume they would have to play Saturday if so.

I can tell you more tomorrow…
Still no definitive decision on the logistics of the Cherryville/Union Academy game. The fence has been repaired. However, as of a few minutes ago power has not yet been restored in the area of the ball park and there are a lot of traffic lights out. It's my understanding there are still some poles that have to replaced in the area to get the power up (may take another 2-4 additonal hours). It's also my understanding the East Lincoln is the neutral site if the game is not played in Cherryville. I may have another update at 10:00 this morning.

As far as the Rd 4 game matching the winner of Cherryville/Union Academy against East Randolph there has been discussion to play that game on Saturday rather on Friday. However, with some possible rain in the forecast Saturday I don't know if that's a good idea. I will post on here as soon as I get more info.

Last edited:
Still no definitive decision on the logistics of the Cherryville/Union Academy game. The fence has been repaired. However, as of a few minutes ago power has not yet been restored in the area of the ball park and there are a lot of traffic lights out. It's my understanding there are still some poles that have to replaced in the area to get the power up (may take another 2-4 additonal hours). It's also my understanding the East Lincoln is the neutral site if the game is not played in Cherryville. I may have another update at 10:00 this morning.

As far as the Rd 4 game matching the winner of Cherryville/Union Academy against East Randolph there has been discussion to play that game on Saturday rather on Friday. However, with some possible rain in the forecast Saturday I don't know if that's a good idea. I will post on here as soon as I get more info.
Thanks. I can't remember any NCHSAA event ever taking place on a Sunday, but I don't know if that is by custom or if there is a regulation. I'll be curious to see how they resolve this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT