ADVERTISEMENT

2023 1A Baseabll brackets with bracket updates

Thanks. I can't remember any NCHSAA event ever taking place on a Sunday, but I don't know if that is by custom or if there is a regulation. I'll be curious to see how they resolve this.
Just got the decision on the game. It will be in Cherryville at Fraley Field today at 5:00PM. The early start time is in case that they don't get the power back on in time for a night game.

Union Academy (Monroe) at Cherryville link- After clicking the link, on the bottom of the image, slide it to the right until you see a blue arrow then click on it.

As Cherryville and Union Academy will not play until Thursday, does that mean that the fourth round game featuring the winner of that game will also be delayed? The regionals will be a series next week, so I assume they would have to play Saturday if so.
Was listening to Cherryville and Union Academy. I thought the announcer said the winner of that game would be playing Eastern Randolph, tomorrow (Friday).

If Cherryville can win, the game will be there (in Cherryville). I was told this morning that some of the town is blocked off due to damage. Here is a link from WBTV Charlotte:

Last edited:
Union Academy ties it 1-all in the sixth. Still one out.

Union Academy tacks on two more, up 3-1 in the sixth.

Union Academy leaves the bases loaded, but is now in front 3-1 over Cherryville. 6-7-8 hitters up for Ironmen in bottom of sixth.

On that WBTV link about storm damage in Cherryville, particularly where the large oak trees were down, Fraley Field (the baseball park) is just across the street. As a player for one of the Randolph County teams, none other than NC Preps poster theKidd12 played there against Cherryville Post 100 in the western regionals back when he was a young horse.

*Don, thanks for the updates on Cherryville and Union Academy.

Last edited:
Anybody have any idea if they broadcast baseball games at Union Academy?

I hope someone can answer a question I have about a play last night: Draughn had a runner on first with no outs and the batter bunts. The throw goes to first and there is a collision and the runners end up at second and third. The umpire on the bases calls interference on the batter, so he’s out but then the original base runner is sent all the way back to first. Why would he not have second on the play? With the throw to first he already had second made. When the hall is dead he can’t go to third, but why send him back to first?

Last edited:
I hope someone can answer a question I have about a play last night: Draughn gas a runner on first with no outs and the batter bunts. The throw goes to first and there is a collision and the runners end up at second and third. The umpire on the bases calls interference on the batter, so he’s out but then the original base runner is sent all the way back to first. Why would he not have second on the play? With the throw to first he already had second made. When the hall is dead he can’t go to third, but why send him back to first?
First of the call was incorrect the first baseman had already dropped the ball before the collision so therefore there can be no runner interference at that point, but since the umpire called interference it’s considered a dead call and the runners go back to the bag they had before the pitch. One of the worst umpiring crews I’ve ever seen in the 4th round something has to be done about these refs/umpires their taking games away from the kids I seen it in basketball this past year now baseball it’s a Shame

First of the call was incorrect the first baseman had already dropped the ball before the collision so therefore there can be no runner interference at that point, but since the umpire called interference it’s considered a dead call and the runners go back to the bag they had before the pitch. One of the worst umpiring crews I’ve ever seen in the 4th round something has to be done about these refs/umpires their taking games away from the kids I seen it in basketball this past year now baseball it’s a Shame
I agree that it was a bad call but what I am saying is that the ball is only dead once the interference occurs at first by which time the runner already has second. You can’t advance once the ball is dead, but the play already sent the runner to second.
For those not there, the runner eventually scored so that had no bearing on the outcome, though the runner being called out at first could have potentially been the go ahead run.

I agree that it was a bad call but what I am saying is that the ball is only dead once the interference occurs at first by which time the runner already has second. You can’t advance once the ball is dead, but the play already sent the runner to second.
For those not there, the runner eventually scored so that had no bearing on the outcome, though the runner being called out at first could have potentially been the go ahead run.
Exactly in my opinion that cost Draughn the game it should have been 1st and 3rd no outs then Trey hit the double the run from first would have scored and given Draughn the lead and the game would have been over cause Blake would have shut the door in the bottom of the 7th

By rule….Each runner must return to the last base touched at the time of interference.

I guess that player had not reached 2nd yet.

By rule….Each runner must return to the last base touched at the time of interference.

I guess that player had not reached 2nd yet.
He had second easily, but the ump calling the bases was looking at first and the plate ump was looking at second, so neither saw what the other saw (I was standing on the fence down the third base line). So they defaulted, but it doesn’t make any sense as the throw to first essentially conceded the runner going to second. The rule may be right, but it doesn’t make sense.

He had second easily, but the ump calling the bases was looking at first and the plate ump was looking at second, so neither saw what the other saw (I was standing on the fence down the third base line). So they defaulted, but it doesn’t make any sense as the throw to first essentially conceded the runner going to second. The rule may be right, but it doesn’t make sense.
Wasn’t there. Didn’t see it. Going simply on y’all’s description. No runner can ever benefit from an interference call, therefore lead runner must return to base occupied at start of play.

Wasn’t there. Didn’t see it. Going simply on y’all’s description. No runner can ever benefit from an interference call, therefore lead runner must return to base occupied at start of play.
That makes more sense, but to me the benefit of the interference would have been going to third. I wouldn’t have any questions if they would have just left the runner at second.

That makes more sense, but to me the benefit of the interference would have been going to third. I wouldn’t have any questions if they would have just left the runner at second.
Also wanted to let everyone know third round on crews are made up of neutral umpires and not from area of hosting school.
For the poster who said “something has to be done” and “they’re taking games away” find out who assigns refs/umpires and sign up for job!!!
It’s all about perspective

Also wanted to let everyone know third round on crews are made up of neutral umpires and not from area of hosting school.
For the poster who said “something has to be done” and “they’re taking games away” find out who assigns refs/umpires and sign up for job!!!
It’s all about perspective
I am umpire thanks, one bad call is ok but when you have 3 questionable calls on the same team come on man, when the other teams coach stops and talks to you after the game and he says i quote I hate to see the game get called like that they should let the kids decide who wins he goes on to say they missed 2 big calls

I am umpire thanks, one bad call is ok but when you have 3 questionable calls on the same team come on man, when the other teams coach stops and talks to you after the game and he says i quote I hate to see the game get called like that they should let the kids decide who wins he goes on to say they missed 2 big calls
Charter coach talked to you? I honestly don’t know him. Knew the one before who allegedly had to leave. If you strap it on then I apologize for my comment. Usually guys who do aren’t as critical as those that don’t. But if you say it was egregious then I will take your word for it. Again just going by y’all’s accounts

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Charter coach talked to you? I honestly don’t know him. Knew the one before who allegedly had to leave. If you strap it on then I apologize for my comment. Usually guys who do aren’t as critical as those that don’t. But if you say it was egregious then I will take your word for it. Again just going by y’all’s accounts
Yea charters coach talked to me he’s a pretty nice guy, and yea as a umpire I’m usually not to hard on some of the calls but those couple last night was just awful and the bad part was they wasn’t confident with the calls they were making as a umpire right call or wrong call at least be confident in what your calling

Reactions: thekidd12
Sorry about the controversy in Charter game. As a result however the two 1A teams from the PAC7 will face off to see who represents the west in SC…
Don’t think anyone saw that coming.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT