ADVERTISEMENT

2022 1A Girls Basketball Thread

The Smoky Mtn and Western Highlands conferences are fairly tough and have a few good teams.
It’s good to see teams like Bishop and Albemarle step out this year and play decent competition since they most likely won’t be challenged in their weaker conferences.

I think Bishop is the top team with some teams close behind. Having seen quite a few games, I will say there is a big gap between Bishop/Cherokee/Rosman/Robbinsville and everyone else. This includes Mt. Heritage.

Reactions: cimsies
Okay i will start it. Open enrollment / charter / parochial etc. If anything is a great example, Covid year Wilson Prep girls could not score 10 points a game. Won maybe 1 or 2 games. Last year they "enroll" five or six new girls, win 26 games and make the Eastern Finals. Had two or three girls average 20 plus. Most of those girls have now "transfer portaled" to other options and guess what. Currently 0-5, held under twenty points several times. Man i feel so sorry for them,

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
Bishop
mtn heritage
cherokee
rosman

in that order. I’ve seen Bishop play Cherokee, Cherokee play Rosman. Right now I think Cherokee and Mtn Heritage (only by record and other opinions) can beat Bishop.
even though the bishop albemarle game was early, I still Don’t think bishop would lose a rematch.

Bishop
mtn heritage
cherokee
rosman

in that order. I’ve seen Bishop play Cherokee, Cherokee play Rosman. Right now I think Cherokee and Mtn Heritage (only by record and other opinions) can beat Bishop.
even though the bishop albemarle game was early, I still Don’t think bishop would lose a rematch.
Loved how scrappy cherokee was. Off current rpi rankings you would have bishop cherokee and I believe rosman on the same side with Mtn heritage and Albemarle on the other side. More interesting at current rpi you would have Albemarle with home court through the third round and mtn heritage home court through the 4th round. Albemarle has the size to compete with mtn heritage and the guard play. So you wouldn’t see a Albemarle rematch with bishop or a mtn heritage matchup with bishop until the regional finals on a neutral court. At the current rpi I believe all roads pending matchups hold would go through bishop and Cherokee on one side and Albemarle Mtn heritage on the other side. (I think)

Reactions: cimsies
Current RPI in the west

1) Bishop (I don’t think they move out of this spot before playoffs)

2) Mtn Heritage ( games with rosman on the schedule)

3) Albemarle (games upcoming with north at a neutral court)

4) Cherokee (tough conf)

Bulldog whats your toughest team left on the schedule? I might come watch a game but don't want to go watch a blowout

Reactions: 97Cougar
Haven't u already beat them by 30? Is union academy any good I saw where they barely lost to Lincoln charter

Haven't u already beat them by 30? Is union academy any good I saw where they barely lost to Lincoln charter
Union academy is young but they have two players that can play. They have a freshman who came from Forrest hills who I think will be one of the better players in the state by the time she is a senior. 5’10 lefty guard who can shoot and handle the ball. So UA is a team that I think is up and down with their youth right now but I watched them play CSD and get hot and beat them by 27. So haven’t played them yet but I don’t think they are a team you can look past. Regarding North yeah we beat them by 30 but they were missing players as well out sick plus you’re talking on a neutral floor. North still has their bigs who are really good as well so you can’t look past them.

Reactions: KW23 and 97Cougar
Will Draughn give Mtn Heritage/Rosman competition? They do have a wins over 3A Ashe and Freedom
I think that Draughn will depend on the health of Aubrey Snyder. She’s a pretty good post, but her shoulder has been bothering her. They’ve got some shooters but without Snyder pulling down boards and dominating the middle they are not the same team.

I figured north won since bulldog nation wasn't on here posting the score
Just got home. It was a tough one tonight. Lots of whistles, 3 of the top 6 in foul trouble early still had a chance at the end and didn’t finish. Play Union on Monday

No you’re right football is all there is in Mitchell county. We used to be competitive in all sports except soccer. Now we stink in every thing but football. Not sure if powers that be care

No you’re right football is all there is in Mitchell county. We used to be competitive in all sports except soccer. Now we stink in every thing but football. Not sure if powers that be care
That’s a shame for all the other sports and athletes. I understand football and basketball are the two big money makers but same effort and energy should be put I to all the sports.

Mountain Heritage over Mitchell 63-29
As I say this please don’t think it is an excuse. Outcome would have been the same. But this game should not have taken place on Friday as one of Mitchell’s players mother passed away earlier in the day on Friday. I am not placing blame on either school, just think they should have waited. Please keep the family in your prayers.

But while the overall talent level is down in Ledger they still have some pieces. Just well they are having a hard time getting a coach. Nothing personal against Travise but we’ll he is a football coach. While Heritage has one of if not the best women’s coach in WNC and one of the best in the state.

Go Mountaineers

Last edited:
As I say this please don’t think it is an excuse. Outcome would have been the same. But this game should not have taken place on Friday as one of Mitchell’s players mother passed away earlier in the day on Friday. I am not placing blame on either school, just think they should have waited. Please keep the family in your prayers.

But while the overall talent level is down in Ledger they still have some pieces. Just well they are having a hard time getting a coach. Nothing personal against Travise but we’ll he is a football coach. While Heritage has one of if not the best women’s coach in WNC and one of the best in the state.

Go Mountaineers
I agree 💯 I didn’t t know until the moment of silence before the game that had happened. I did realize the player was missing during warmups just thought she was sick. Thoughts and prayers to her and her family much as we have this rivalry we are all friends and family.

Another truth about Mitchell basketball is they don’t have a bj or Shelton to coach them. Those two are old school and they win. We would rather make all the parents happy

Albemarle WBB 72
Union Academy 55 final

UA is not bad at all can shoot the ball and really scrappy. Depending on matchup they could be a sleeper come playoffs. 2 very good guards

Reactions: 97Cougar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT