ADVERTISEMENT

1A 1a West Girls is strong!!!

bulldog nation2014

Feb 21, 2014
I just wanted to create a thread for the 1a west girls basketball. Noticing a lot of media etc downgrading the talent and depth of the 1a girls especially on the west side. Like last year I’m seeing a bunch of talent throughout the 1a west and can already see the gauntlet the playoffs will be. Some of the teams I have seen this far to highlight.

Bishop of course hope addy is ok all prayers to her. Returned a large part of their team. Really impressed without addy how they played and competed.

Mountain Heritage returned everybody I think from last years team. I believe they were injured a bit last year in the playoffs

Cherokee really talented players with one or two good freshmen that filled a gap for them. Not sure of names

Albemarle spencer baldwin Robinson brown as well as a group of strong role players

North Rowan goodlet twins and ellis are really good

Union Academy Sutton and Thompson with their height on that team will be tough. They didn’t have Thompson in the playoffs last year really tough guard.

Chatham Charter who could make it out of the East again

If you have seen any others that could make noise come playoffs and especially players please highlight them.

BN 2014, I hate that I didn't get a chance to speak to you. I did catch the Albemarle/ER game the other night.

You guys are going to be a team to be reckoned with come February. A nice mix of size, athleticism, and shooters. Albemarle turned that game into a chaotic affair and chaotic affairs don't usually favor ER. #10 was super impressive. When she stole the ball, she was GONE in a flash. Reminded of Marion Jones when she played for UNC. She definitely has the potential to play college ball.

Best of luck to you guys for the remainder of the season.

BN 2014, I hate that I didn't get a chance to speak to you. I did catch the Albemarle/ER game the other night.

You guys are going to be a team to be reckoned with come February. A nice mix of size, athleticism, and shooters. Albemarle turned that game into a chaotic affair and chaotic affairs don't usually favor ER. #10 was super impressive. When she stole the ball, she was GONE in a flash. Reminded of Marion Jones when she played for UNC. She definitely has the potential to play college ball.

Best of luck to you guys for the remainder of the season.
Hey we were just happy to play after 12 days with no games lol. But thank you they are a great group still growing!! This 1a west is tough as you know so just have to keep getting better

Going into 2024 my top 4 teams in the west are: Bishop, Cherokee, Mtn Heritage and Albemarle. IMO these teams are a step ahead of the others. I would add N Rowan as well, but that’s with Goodlett twins and I’m not sure if they are still on the team?

Going into 2024 my top 4 teams in the west are: Bishop, Cherokee, Mtn Heritage and Albemarle. IMO these teams are a step ahead of the others. I would add N Rowan as well, but that’s with Goodlett twins and I’m not sure if they are still on the team?
Goodletts are still on the team. I’m not sure what happened and don’t even want to guess due to I really like both of those young ladies but I have been told they will be back playing in January. They are a good team and can shoot it when we played them we had two just coming back from being sick and one out we couldn’t hold any rotation and they got smoking hot in the third quarter(hit 12 3’s on the game). A lot of that was on us not being disciplined not closing out etc but I would definitely have them in that top 5. Their ability to shoot the ball like that and their scrappy play would be dangerous for anybody to play in the playoffs.

It looks like N Rowan has done okay the last few games without them, but good to hear they’re returning.

Im still a little shocked that Bishop beat Indy without Jernigan. I would say that they’re the favorite to win the west at this point, but it’s still early and will depend on matchups come playoff time.
I haven’t had a chance to see the fresh play for Cherokee.

Also, keep an eye on Rosman and Union Academy.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
It looks like N Rowan has done okay the last few games without them, but good to hear they’re returning.

Im still a little shocked that Bishop beat Indy without Jernigan. I would say that they’re the favorite to win the west at this point, but it’s still early and will depend on matchups come playoff time.

We play Union academy on the 9th and 2/2, Bishop on the 25th and north Rowan on the 7th and Mont Central who is undefeated on 2/16.

UA has their other guard back who got hurt last year and they are really solid with good height.

Bishop and Indy that surprised me but at the time it didn’t. With how fundamental they are also without addy I’m sure Indy looked past them a bit and I could see bishop just out executing them.

My thoughts on cherokee that group from last year and adding a talented 6’1 girl who is a freshmen will be a problem.

I agree with what you said but I also think you will have some sleepers in there as well. I was talking to somebody the other day and I was telling them this 1a west is crazy deep and you add the travel that teams have to do it’s a gauntlet to go through. Like bishop and independence happened UA us cherokee bishop etc have already beat good 4a teams. Anybody who looks past this 1a west is crazy. There is loads of talented young ladies and guys.

Reactions: 97Cougar
You’re 100% on the money. The depth of quality 1A girls teams is really amazing. The last 2 years the teams Bishop had to go through from the second round on (Rosman, Bessemer City, etc.) not to mention Cherokee and Mountain Heritage has been daunting. Last year Bishop got lucky having Albemarle at home the first game of the year. Nobody rooting for bishop wanted to see Albemarle in the playoffs Great to see so many talented young ladies competing at such a high level.

You’re 100% on the money. The depth of quality 1A girls teams is really amazing. The last 2 years the teams Bishop had to go through from the second round on (Rosman, Bessemer City, etc.) not to mention Cherokee and Mountain Heritage has been daunting. Last year Bishop got lucky having Albemarle at home the first game of the year. Nobody rooting for bishop wanted to see Albemarle in the playoffs Great to see so many talented young ladies competing at such a high level.
It is awesome to see!!!! Especially the younger girls growing the game!!!! I’m not sure who is coming out of the west this year but I know the journey to that point is going to be fun to watch with the amount of talent there is!!!!!

We play Union academy on the 9th and 2/2, Bishop on the 25th and north Rowan on the 7th and Mont Central who is undefeated on 2/16.

UA has their other guard back who got hurt last year and they are really solid with good height.

Bishop and Indy that surprised me but at the time it didn’t. With how fundamental they are also without addy I’m sure Indy looked past them a bit and I could see bishop just out executing them.
You guys shouldn’t have any issue with Mont Central. Their 9-0 record is misleading. They’ve played a weak schedule and could easily finish last in their conf or next to last.
I Look forward to next weeks game against UA.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014

ER played Rosman last year in the second round. Alyssa Cheek is a very, very good player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT