ADVERTISEMENT

WHATS HAPPENED TO ALBEMARLE?

Eastcoastman1957

Aug 1, 2018
Since Baxter left things gone south. I've been reading some about this last 2 years. Used to have a lot of talent.

Large ADM drop over the years. They dropped below 400 students in the school a few years ago. School system did an Early College on campus plus a couple of magnet programs but do not think that has helped the athletic programs. Got back up to over 500. Have not fielded varsity teams in some sports.

About six or seven years ago something like 36 students requested a non residential move transfer out of Albemarle. Only one was granted by the school system. The school board approved the other 35 on appeal. One request was based on the parent would have to make a right turn, go 1/4 make a left and another 1/4 to get to AHS but would make a left and drop the student off at North Stanly on the way to work.

Thomasville took their soul in the mid-late 2000s…they ain’t been right since lol
Let's not get carried away. :)

The series was dead even from 2001 (first of AHS' three straight titles in the early 2000s) through the end of Akins' tenure in 2012. Tville has had their number since, but even during that stretch, one of the worst in AHS history (five different HCs from 2013 to 2017), Tville lost in 2017. And besides the blowouts in 2016 and 2021 the games have been close.

Tville has eight state titles to Albemarle's six, so not much difference there.

It's a good rivalry between two schools with a lot of pride. No surprise that Tville has the edge lately given the many ups and downs with enrollment, districting, etc. at Albemarle.

The last time I watched Albemarle, they didn’t have the coaches… The coach at South Stanly has more wins in his first year than albemarle coach who’s been there forever… Before that coach came to albemarle, they were dealing with discipline issues amongst the athletes and probably still are. Seth destroyed Albemarle’s program etc… if I was a student, I would’ve transferred too..

South Stanly beat South Rowan and South Davidson. I think Albemarle would have possibly won those games, also.

I've known Baxter for a long time. I was talking with him last week at Clinton -Whiteville game. Class act he is. He still has good things to say about the program.

Reactions: steady99
The problems at Albemarle go back years.....and they are Deeeeeep. Not a case of poor coaches or just low numbers, the school was gutted by several factors, most seriously by the then board of education. So very sad to see what has become of it, but at least they're still open. The board tried their dangdest to close it and consolidate the population into North and West Stanly. Oh, and what was done with attendance lines was nothing else but ille............well, I'll stop there.

Hey all been busy first time able to get back on in awhile. Lines are the biggest issue with Albemarle. Albemarle and the west part of the county are growing 13-15% in Albemarle and above 20% on the western part of the county. Football wise this year we have a bunch of talent and have been right there every game starting QB got hurt and hasn’t played yet this season backup qb avg 2 int a game. Transfer wise we have an Aau football org here and some of their staff is on the north coaching staff from varsity to JV to middle school. I think our numbers a couple of years ago we were at 380ish and now over 500.

Varsity sports wise state champs in track for women’s and men’s, varsity girls basketball one of the better teams in the state (returned everybody but 3), boys basketball coming back coach is doing an excellent job there. I think softball and cross country are the two where numbers are down and but cross country looks good so far and I hear softball is going to have a good turnout.

Back to football, they beat SWR this past Friday and looked good even with the turnovers. Against asheboro, Trinity, west stanly they were right there but again turnovers. Next game up is Lake Norman Charter hopefully we can minimize the turnovers and give ourselves a chance.

To discipline issues…. To be honest Albemarle hasn’t had nearly the discipline the issues the last couple of years as other county schools. I know what people say and have said but a lot of times those issues are not made public like they are with Albemarle mostly in my opinion to the agendas at hand.

Varsity sports wise state champs in track for women’s and men’s, varsity girls basketball one of the better teams in the state (returned everybody but 3), boys basketball coming back coach is doing an excellent job there. I think softball and cross country are the two where numbers are down and but cross country looks good so far and I hear softball is going to have a good turnout.

To discipline issues…. To be honest Albemarle hasn’t had nearly the discipline the issues the last couple of years as other county schools. I know what people say and have said but a lot of times those issues are not made public like they are with Albemarle mostly in my opinion to the agendas at hand.
I think any time something negatibve happens at AHS it gets more public attention but does not seem like much is publicized about any of the schools recently other than the test scores which I am sure is getting attention.

Albemarle won a state team championship in track? I know the nationally elite female transfer from Harding was dominant and won four state titles.

I think any time something negatibve happens at AHS it gets more public attention but does not seem like much is publicized about any of the schools recently other than the test scores which I am sure is getting attention.

Albemarle won a state team championship in track? I know the nationally elite female transfer from Harding was dominant and won four state titles.
Yeah the 4x200 team I believe won the state ship and then she won her individual event and I believe another couple as did as well. Team wise girls were state runner ups and guys finished 3rd I believe. Wrestling also had a strong showing can’t remember if one of them finished runner up or won state.

But yeah our track team both boys and girls are really good

They need to change the district lines and use the facilities wisely. I am sure some parents and students would not like that idea.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
They need to change the district lines and use the facilities wisely. I am sure some parents and students would not like that idea.
There are four high districted high schools in Stanly County, two 1A and two 2A. There is an early college high school on the AHS campus and the community college, an on line high school, and a high school for troubled youth. May be incorrect terminology on the last one. On the Pfeiffer University campus is Graystone Day a public charter schools. County population is 65,000.

The districting needs a complete overhaul and three of the schools have phyiscal building issues that require immediate attention with North Stanly being the most in need.

South’s new coach has done a wonderful job with this year’s team. Lots of improvement as the season goes along.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT