ADVERTISEMENT

What team in the East should have the number one seed for the 2A or 2AA state playoffs

Brooklyn bridge Fulton street

Sep 20, 2017
On my opinion there's a lot of great schools out there schools like North Davidson and Northeastern that I haven't seen play yet they record speaks for themselves both teams top of there division East duplin should get the number one seed of number two because for one I don't see anybody stopping them and for the second all the other team people are talking about like Shelby and reidsville will be in the West just a thought

Remember opinion has nothing to do with it; it will be a computer ranking doing the seeding....also remember Reidsville is always right on the bubble for going East or West, and going 2A vs. 2AA

So what you are saying is I guess any team could go anyway depending on there record during the season
sort of.....not so much their own record, but it depends on what 64 teams makes the playoffs, then they're split into 2A & 2AA, then each subdivision is split into East & West, then the maxpreps rankings will dictate the seeds by tier of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, place autobids, then wild cards....it's all following a formula, not a selection committee like NCAA basketball

Reactions: 96panther
A lot of small west 3a teams dropped down to 2a so I see Reidsville going east....I believe Duplin and Reidsville will represent the East...

I will take the bait......what makes the ED team so special? I don't mean that as a rhetorical or even sarcastic question. As a North Davidson guy, we are "having to learn" some of the schools/programs that we normally don't see or play. What's you guys story? You a power running, huge O line, keep possession all game team or a spread you out and score every 1:30 seconds air attack team? Didn't know if you guys were a Shelby strong D (that was a compliment, not a slap for those Shelby fans) or a bend til we break group. You guys definitely score a lot and are blowing people out, just curious as a high school football fan from the other side of the state (we do bbq a little different this way too) what makes you tick?

I will take the bait......what makes the ED team so special? I don't mean that as a rhetorical or even sarcastic question. As a North Davidson guy, we are "having to learn" some of the schools/programs that we normally don't see or play. What's you guys story? You a power running, huge O line, keep possession all game team or a spread you out and score every 1:30 seconds air attack team? Didn't know if you guys were a Shelby strong D (that was a compliment, not a slap for those Shelby fans) or a bend til we break group. You guys definitely score a lot and are blowing people out, just curious as a high school football fan from the other side of the state (we do bbq a little different this way too) what makes you tick?
i wouldnt call us "special", but we are a very good team. im sure your North Davidson team is too! imo they could give the overall number 1 seed to "any" undefeated team. its all a matter of opinion based on whatever formula they use.

i wouldnt call us "special", but we are a very good team. im sure your North Davidson team is too! imo they could give the overall number 1 seed to "any" undefeated team. its all a matter of opinion based on whatever formula they use.

You still didn't answer his question. He was not debating the ranking, but wants to know what distinguishes East Duplin from other teams. What do they bring to the field? What will an opposing team see?

Reactions: bkknights93
You still didn't answer his question. He was not debating the ranking, but wants to know what distinguishes East Duplin from other teams. What do they bring to the field? What will an opposing team see?
You need torrad the seeding rules. They oick all the conference champions and place them by record, then all the conference runnerups. And so forth

You need torrad the seeding rules. They oick all the conference champions and place them by record, then all the conference runnerups. And so forth

The seeding rules won't tell me anything about East Duplin as far as who their players are, their offense, what makes them different from other good teams.

The seeding rules won't tell me anything about East Duplin as far as who their players are, their offense, what makes them different from other good teams.
They're very fast, on both sides of the ball. Good size on the line, some of which go both ways. Defense very good and they will hit ya hard. They throw some, but are primarily a running wing t based offense. They are good in the special teams Dept also. Well coached by battle Holley, son of legend, the late jack Holley. Probably most important, they're hungry, having never won a championship. They can be beat, but it'll take a good all around effort to do it. East duplin and Wallace rose hill very similar. Both should do well in playoffs

Reactions: sasha_nc
I can tell you about ED....first thing is you will more then likely be seeing one of the overall fastest 2 A teams in the state. Very athletic skilled guys who are cat quick. RB run extremely hard and can and will take it to house. QB great athlete...one miss tackle see you later. Offensive line pretty decent size for 2A..very well coached they are pretty nasty and will finish their blocks. Now defensively you had better be a awful special football team to score allot of points on this squad. They are extremely fast all over and they get to the ball with really bad intentions. Your backs had better be able to take contact and I do mean allot of contact because this group will smack you. Defensive line big agile they will punish you. If you think your going to come in and pass the ball quess again. Athletic ball hawks who will go up and take it away. Your receivers will not run away from any of them because they are extremely fast. Catch anything across the middle and you pay the price. Special teams well they are special as well. Go ahead and kick to them all game if you want to. I promise one will get taken to the house either kickoff or a punt return definitely. Bottom line is this. ED is no shit legit. Its will take one hell of a football team to beat them. So I know all you guys only think that football is played out West I don't care who you have out there. It will take your teams best overall game of the season to beat these Panthers. I will say it... they are that good. Barring injuries the rest of the season and throughout the playoffs I don't see anyone beating them.

I can tell you about ED....first thing is you will more then likely be seeing one of the overall fastest 2 A teams in the state. Very athletic skilled guys who are cat quick. RB run extremely hard and can and will take it to house. QB great athlete...one miss tackle see you later. Offensive line pretty decent size for 2A..very well coached they are pretty nasty and will finish their blocks. Now defensively you had better be a awful special football team to score allot of points on this squad. They are extremely fast all over and they get to the ball with really bad intentions. Your backs had better be able to take contact and I do mean allot of contact because this group will smack you. Defensive line big agile they will punish you. If you think your going to come in and pass the ball quess again. Athletic ball hawks who will go up and take it away. Your receivers will not run away from any of them because they are extremely fast. Catch anything across the middle and you pay the price. Special teams well they are special as well. Go ahead and kick to them all game if you want to. I promise one will get taken to the house either kickoff or a punt return definitely. Bottom line is this. ED is no shit legit. Its will take one hell of a football team to beat them. So I know all you guys only think that football is played out West I don't care who you have out there. It will take your teams best overall game of the season to beat these Panthers. I will say it... they are that good. Barring injuries the rest of the season and throughout the playoffs I don't see anyone beating them.
In case you guys didn’t know, this is a Jacksonville fan. He’s not even a ED guy. We played his team earlier this season in a nail biter. Great game by both teams.

Only a few things I will add to his evaluation.
#1. He stressed it a lot, but I’ll say it again...this group is FAST all over the field. Both sides of the ball.
#2. In my opinion, we are much better defensively than offensively. Our defense returned 8 starters from a group that had 6 or 7 shutouts last year. They are lights out.
#3. And this may be the biggest. This group of young men play well together. They have a go get it attitude. The awareness on both sides of the ball is definitely above par.

Like I’ve said before, I’ll put them up against anyone in 2A. Not saying we are unbeatable AT ALL, but I believe they are capable of giving anyone a good game.

Last edited:
In case you guys didn’t know, this is a Jacksonville fan. He’s not even a ED guy. We played his team earlier this season in a nail biter. Great game by both teams.

#1. He stressed it a lot, but I’ll say it again...this group is FAST all over the field. Both sides of the ball.
#2. In my opinion, we are much better defensively than offensively. Our defense returned 8 starters from a group that had 6 or 7 shutouts last year. They are lights out.
#3. And this may be the biggest. This group of young men play well together. They have a go get it attitude. The awareness on ball sides of the ball is definitely above par.

Like I’ve said before, I’ll put them up against anyone in 2A. Not saying we are unbeatable AT ALL, but I believe they are capable of giving anyone a good game.

#3. And this may be the biggest. This group of young men play well together. They have a go get it attitude. The awareness on ball sides of the ball is definitely above par.

Good post. I agree with all that and feel the same way about wrh. I'll say it again. Both should do well in the playoffs.

Duplin County football fan here.....I have seen ED on five different occasions this season and will only add a few things to the accurate posts above.

*Keep in mind their offense has been without their leading rusher from the past two seasons since the second half of the second game (Jacksonville) and have not missed a beat. From what I understand he has had an ankle issue and though he did play in the Goldsboro game, he did not play the last game at Midway (or so I was told). He has averaged 1500 yards and 30 TD the last two seasons. If he comes back healthy.....watch out. They will just be more dangerous.

*They have only trailed in one game this season (Jacksonville) but had game winning drive for FG.

*I do not think their pass defense is that good. Teams around here simply do not pass a lot and it is hard to simulate what passing teams might do in practice. However, their pass rush is excellent from their front seven so it masks any issues they might have on the back end.

*They have played a very good schedule. Check the records on Richlands, Southwest Onslow, Ayden-Grifton, Jacksonville and Wallace-Rose Hill. They destroyed Richlands, Southwest, and AG and won at both Jville and WRH.

*If they win out, they will be the #1 seed in 2-AA East by virtue of their Maxpreps ratings. Any team that has to go there will find it is a very tough place to play. Like all Duplin County schools, ED has limited facilities, (no track around field, small venues....etc). They are very, very good at home and the environment will be incredible. The previous trips to regional finals, they have lost each time to fellow conference members (Clinton twice, Northside) ED has played in the shadows of WRH and James Kenan the past few seasons, but make no mistake, they have a very good program and they feel this group of seniors is very special. As sophomores, they lost to state finalist Bunn in the third round and last year lost to Northside in the Eastern Championship. That team and that area are really poised for a special season and so far are having one.

*With their offense, they need to play ahead, Passing game is average at best, so if they get behind it could be an issue. Special teams are very good with the only real issue I have seen is the kickoff coverage team. Defense is outstanding. Only Jacksonville has had any real success and that was because they could mix it up. They have shut down everyone's running game (although WRH did score on two long TD runs in 3rd Quarter). In games I have gone to, they did go through stretches on offense where they sputtered due to untimely penalties and turnovers but then all of a sudden they break a long run or defense get a pick six and things start clicking.

*Can they be beat.....yes. But it will take a very good team with a diverse offense to do it. Get in front of them and you can take them out of what they like to do but they wont quit and will keep coming. All that being said, they are the best team I have seen this year.

Great info guys. Thanks.

I am sure the N. Davidson fans will appreciate the info. And N. Davidson could wind up being the #1 seed in the 2AA East, so don't start counting those chickens just yet.

Unfortunately Reidsville will be 2A so the only way we could possibly see them would be if both teams make the state championship game in Chapel Hill.

A lot has been made about the difference between teams in the East vs. West but I think the passing game most teams in the West have is what makes the difference. If you can't throw it or defend the passing game it gets awfully tough to win a state championship.

Great info guys. Thanks.

I am sure the N. Davidson fans will appreciate the info. And N. Davidson could wind up being the #1 seed in the 2AA East, so don't start counting those chickens just yet.

Unfortunately Reidsville will be 2A so the only way we could possibly see them would be if both teams make the state championship game in Chapel Hill.

A lot has been made about the difference between teams in the East vs. West but I think the passing game most teams in the West have is what makes the difference. If you can't throw it or defend the passing game it gets awfully tough to win a state championship.
I agree unless a team has several good backs and a good offensive line. I witnessed West Stokes intercept 6 passes Friday night so if the DB are faster than your receivers it can be bad.

Great info guys. Thanks.

If ED is not used to see true balanced offenses or teams that can pass. They may have a serious issue with Shelby,Reidsville. I actually would favor them over ND because of ED overall team speed.

Question is there anyway we can just do 1-32? No more east west nonsense. Its hurting the hs game in nc.

Just checked Maxpreps rankings that were updated this morning.

Going into their bye week, ED has a rating of 37.6 and ND has a rating of 29.9. I am no expert of the formula Maxpreps uses, but it would be hard for me to believe that if ED wins their last two games (open this week) vs James Kenan (Maxpreps #68 in 2A and at Clinton #28 in 2A) that ND would overtake them by defeating winless Central Davidson (#113 out of 113 in 2A), Salisbury (#41 in 2A), and Ledford (#19 in 2A).

Again, based on Maxpreps, ED has a better strength of schedule compared to ND (6.2 vs. 1.8) and has two signature wins (at Jacksonville, at Wallace-Rose Hill). Now does this mean ED is better than ND? Nope. It simply says that if ND goes 2-AA East, they seem to be headed to the #2 seed at best behind ED IF both teams win out.

Everyone needs to understand that like it or not, Maxpreps is the ratings system that will be used to seed the conference champs, second/third place teams and then the at large teams.

Once again I'm here to tell you East Duplin is it serious dangerous football team do you know what it's like to be hungry and never won a State title find out in the playoffs against this team and you'll see what hungry really is playoffs are coming in 3 weeks so get ready

Reactions: 96panther
Good feedback from those in or around the ED program. It's one of the reasons this forum is one of my favorite places to talk NC high school football.

You guys (ED) have anybody being seriously recruited at this time? Sounds like you have some serious size and speed, have to assume somebody has taken notice at this point. We (ND) are more of a strength in numbers type team. Great chemistry, some speed and skill at the skill positions and some guyswho are either being recruited somewhere between D-1 and small college. Good group of guys, good coaching staff and good football (most nights anyway ).

So ED is a wing-T team? How would you compare their offense in terms of effectiveness as it relates to the other contenders from the East? Any offenses to take note of in particular?

i didnt intend on answering his question. i didnt have enough time to list our many attributes.

If ED is not used to see true balanced offenses or teams that can pass. They may have a serious issue with Shelby,Reidsville. I actually would favor them over ND because of ED overall team speed.

Question is there anyway we can just do 1-32? No more east west nonsense. Its hurting the hs game in nc.
i know the East is usually run oriented, both offensively and defensively, and thats no different this year. that being said, this ED team is still pretty good against the pass. if a team is able to move the ball much at all against us it will more than likely have to be through the air, because i dont see many teams being able to consistently run on our defense.

i know the East is usually run oriented, both offensively and defensively, and thats no different this year. that being said, this ED team is still pretty good against the pass. if a team is able to move the ball much at all against us it will more than likely have to be through the air, because i dont see many teams being able to consistently run on our defense.
96 Panther... I've had a chance to see WRH, ED, Northeastern and Jacksonville this year. All are very good teams this year. ED will be big so I'll focus on the WRH-NE clash that should happen. Please don't live in the past when it comes to NE..they may get beat but it won't be a slaughter. NE met WRH at the FCA camp and had their way with them (ask anyone who saw it. They used to get outmatched physically but the Coach at NE has gotten their weight program improved every year. 2 top 5 2019 recruits plus a 6'5 qb and 6'5 WR transfer from Texas makes them a real contender, should be fun.

Reactions: BigBird12
96 Panther... I've had a chance to see WRH, ED, Northeastern and Jacksonville this year. All are very good teams this year. ED will be big so I'll focus on the WRH-NE clash that should happen. Please don't live in the past when it comes to NE..they may get beat but it won't be a slaughter. NE met WRH at the FCA camp and had their way with them (ask anyone who saw it. They used to get outmatched physically but the Coach at NE has gotten their weight program improved every year. 2 top 5 2019 recruits plus a 6'5 qb and 6'5 WR transfer from Texas makes them a real contender, should be fun.
oh i dont live in the past. i know NE usually doesnt play the toughest schedule but i still respect them like i do any other team. they play who they can, but who you play doesnt determine how good "you" are. any team that makes it deep in the playoffs has to be a good team. i dont care who you are.

Reactions: BigBird12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT