ADVERTISEMENT

Western Regional Championship Robbinsville vs Mitchell

I
Quick question: why do yall claim to be the underdog, but then explain in detail on why the SMC is Mitchell's daddy, and give 100 reasons why Robbinsville will win friday?
1. Mitchell is the higher seeded team
2. Mitchell is a larger school
3. Mitchell has home field advantage
4. Mitchell has a better record
5. Mitchell has better stats
6 Mitchell is picked to win

How could Robbinsville not be classified as the underdog? Im not certain Robbinsville will win, but I do know we have a handful of boys that play both sides of the ball with heart, grit, and tradition that will give it everything they got trying!

Titletown is never an underdog. Lots of higher seeds aren't the better teams. Based on whatever b.s. rule the playoff seeding r determined by each year. MIC would have been seeded higher than most teams if it wasn't for a fight and they would have been huge underdogs vs like 5 teams seeded lower than them. Better records don't make u favorite either Thomas Jefferson was like 9 and 1 every season and they weren't the favorites in there playoff games in years past.

Titletown is never an underdog. Lots of higher seeds aren't the better teams. Based on whatever b.s. rule the playoff seeding r determined by each year. MIC would have been seeded higher than most teams if it wasn't for a fight and they would have been huge underdogs vs like 5 teams seeded lower than them. Better records don't make u favorite either Thomas Jefferson was like 9 and 1 every season and they weren't the favorites in there playoff games in years past.
Then what does classify a team as an underdog? If you cant go by rank, seed, record, stats, and projections……

It's all opinion based on who the underdog is when u get this late in the playoffs. I think it's funny how everyone wants to be the underdog though. Id prefer to be the favorite but that's just me. Lol

As far as the underdog thing, first when the picks come out people keep saying Mitchell is picked maybe some algorithms like calprep but ones like the newspapers Ashville citizens etc or someone like Simmons haven't picked yet my guess they might pick Mitchell just because of playing at home they'll probably give the by 2 points or something when they think it's a toss-up.
But the underdog thing is usually something that maybe a coach can use before the gàme to fire up the team but Mitchell coach won't need that he can if he wants just bring up that this team beat you just 7 months ago of course I'm sure the boys already think about that.
But I don't believe ether team will need any extra stuff to get fired up for this game.

The one that hurt the most was 2018 against Murphy, Mitchell had a pick 6 the would have won the game called back for roughing in the passer then after the game a local newspaper photographer's photo confirmed what I saw the QB getting tackled with the ball still in his hand.
I was there Yes that was a terrible call. If I’m not mistaken though didn’t you guys have a kickoff for TD in that game where the returner stepped out of bounds down the Mitchell sidelines but the ref missed it. One of the biggest play in that game was going for it on 4th down and giving Murphy the short field. Should of punted.

Reactions: mbdfan and MHS-88
I was there Yes that was a terrible call. If I’m not mistaken though didn’t you guys have a kickoff for TD in that game where the returner stepped out of bounds down the Mitchell sidelines but the ref missed it. One of the biggest play in that game was going for it on 4th down and giving Murphy the short field. Should of punted.
It was close. I can't say for certain that he stepped out of bounds. Likely did, but it wasn't by a yard or anything, possibly a toe lol.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
It's all opinion based on who the underdog is when u get this late in the playoffs. I think it's funny how everyone wants to be the underdog though. Id prefer to be the favorite but that's just me. Lol
I don't think Mitchell being a higher seed, with a better record, home field advantage, and a few other things mentioned is "all opinion" more like all facts. Have no idea what will happen Friday but going in Mitchell is the favorite. What happened in the spring or historically has nothing to do with now.

Congratulations to the Mountaineers and Black Knights! Been awhile since I have been to Ledger (1986 to be exact) but me and the son are planning on being there Friday night to witness this brawl.
Somebody mentioned the size of kids now days, they don't get any smaller in college either. My son plays at Western now as a d-lineman and one thing you'll notice about college ball is the size difference between the O-line and the D-line. Biggest guy on the team is a redshirt sophomore that is 6'8 and over 300# and nothing but a lean, mean , blocking machine. The D-line averages around 6'4 and less than 300#. My son is 6'0 and weighs 285. Colleges like their D-lineman lean and quick and their O-Lineman big and bad.
Good luck to both teams! And I'll see y'all there.

P.S Where is the Western Sizzlin? I promised the boy I would feed him good if he went with me.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the Mountaineers and Black Knights! Been awhile since I have been to Ledger (1986 to be exact) but me and the son are planning on being there Friday night to witness this brawl.
Somebody mentioned the size of kids now days, they don't get any smaller in college either. My son plays at Western now as a d-lineman and one thing you'll notice about college ball is the size difference between the O-line and the D-line. Biggest guy on the team is a redshirt sophomore that is 6'8 and over 300# and nothing but a lean, mean , blocking machine. The D-line averages around 6'4 and less than 300#. My son is 6'0 and weighs 285. Colleges like their D-lineman lean and quick and their O-Lineman big and bad.

P.S Where is the Western Sizzlin? I promised the boy I would feed him good if he went with me.
11961 S 226 Highway, Spruce Pine, NC 28777

If you stay on 40 thru black mountain and go up 226 (the "Marion Mountain") you will pass right by it.

Thanks. Lord my kin would blackball me if I shund Yancey County. I turn left at the hospital to go to the school, I'm guessing I turn right off 19E to get to Sizzling, right?
You will turn left at the first redlight to get to the highschool which is hwy 226, the third redlight you take a right to get to the steakhouse.

Last edited:
If you’ve won as many championships as robbinsville why the inferiority complex? Y’all are clearly the favorites and our daddy. You gotta whip your daddy to be a man

Either exit 72 (Thru Old Fort, two lane roads) or 81 will bring you through Marion, mostly 4 lane.
I’d avoid exit 81 if possible. Lot of construction through there right now and traffic is tough to navigate especially in afternoons with school traffic and shopping center right there.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I think this is a toss up. No favorite. Whoever makes the fewest mistakes wins. I think if you asked 100 knowledgeable wnc fans you will about split 50/50 who they think wins. Mitchell doesn’t seem to beat themselves with mistakes. That being said I think they win 35-34

Would it be good to go down 26 and through Burnsville?
If you’re coming from TN or Weaverville/Mars Hill area that’s what I’d recommend especially with it now 4 lane from 26 to spruce pine. I go that way anytime I’m going to Asheville. Just be mindful of the speed trap through Burnsville, it goes from 55 to 35 in about 10 seconds.

Would it be good to go down 26 and through Burnsville?
Yes it's not by much but shortest route from Asheville but since they finished the four lane from 26 thru Burnsville to Spruce Pine the quickest route especially if you're going straight to the game the first traffic light you hit coming into the Spruce Pine bypass just turn left towards Bakerville and about halfway you come to ledger and the school.
Now if you really want to go to the steak house then you can just stay on 40 then take the Old Fort exit you'll get on a two lane road 70 that will take you to 221 to 226 ( I take Lake Tahoma Rd to Toms Creek Rd to hit 221 but I don't want to get anyone lost to just go into Marion) but that way when you come into Spruce Pine you'll drive by the steak house on your right.

Reactions: PBBear51
Mitchell is the clear favorite.
If we win it will be an upset.
I agree
Mitchell is the clear favorite.
If we win it will be an upset.
I agree, poor ole Robbinsville be lucky to stay in the game.....LOL come on man everyone knows these are 2 evenly matched teams, no need to promote the David vs Goliath narrative.

Thanks. Lord my kin would blackball me if I shund Yancey County. I turn left at the hospital to go to the school, I'm guessing I turn right off 19E to get to Sizzling, right?
Coming in from Burnsville once you live Burnsville on 19e you'll go through 1 traffic light the about 8 miles later coming into Spruce Pine the next traffic light is where you turn left to the high school, if you go straight thru the second traffic light from there you'll turn right and about a mile on that road you'll see the steak house on your left.

Reactions: PBBear51
Calpreps, Simmons, Massey, ACT and BK are full of it

Ok the Mitchell robbinsville line is even.

Wow. Whatever.
Funny coming from Mountie.
Short memory I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT