ADVERTISEMENT

Way too Early 2019 Pre-Season 1A Top 10

The Gosnell’s have moved and they will be attending Carroll County not East and definitely not MA it’s a done deal no more need for all this speculation you MA diehards were hopeful for someone to revive your what will be a dead team. East will beat MA by as much as they want running lanes won’t be open for Smith without the Greene brothers spreading the field and that overhyped QB will be below average this season as well MA has nothing for the upcoming cards even without Gosnell
We will see ESODcards you know you didn't only lose Gosnell if this is true I think Mt Airy may be pretty good next year that big ole QB loves the pocket he's not a runner i think Mt Airy developed well as season goes on and I wouldn't as far as me took Gosnell if I'd had to because we would have heard you all cry and complain about transfers if he's in Virginia then he should play there

MA is not even,in the mix for years to come,guess you guys probably will be walking out on your kids a lot this year .You spoiled city people have one loss this year and you clear the stands after half, major support for your kids up there.

Mt. Airy has made a "program" out of being the big fish in a small pond. For decades everyone knew they pulled from Surry County and wherever they needed to in order to win. I applaud them for taking advantage of the system. Once the split came they figured out how to stay below the line and win. What have they ever won in 1AA. But, just ask them, they'll tell you how many titles they have and just how great they are. Got to be the most obnoxious fan base in the state.

Reactions: bless_em
Mt. Airy has made a "program" out of being the big fish in a small pond. For decades everyone knew they pulled from Surry County and wherever they needed to in order to win. I applaud them for taking advantage of the system. Once the split came they figured out how to stay below the line and win. What have they ever won in 1AA. But, just ask them, they'll tell you how many titles they have and just how great they are. Got to be the most obnoxious fan base in the state.
Fact , East Surry has always pulled from Stokes Co .for many years.The Surry,Stokes County line is only 5 or 6 miles away in 2 directions. HWY 268 going to 1A North Stokes & HWY 52 going to 2A West Stokes. Best kept secret and never mentioned. But what Mount Airy and East Surry have got is from families moving into their district and now the new transfer rule . There have always been Families that paid tuition to send kids to Mount Airy that did not even play sports but because Mount Airy is where all the jobs are. Families are going to send their kids where they get playing time and go deep into the playoffs. They may only get 1 or2 player in sports if that unlike the 1A schools in Forsyth Co that can build a whole team from the whole county and 2 counties in some cases. This is done all over the state and legal in most cases and legal but unfair in many cases. Best example Forsyth Co. in our area.

Last edited:
I would say Mitchell would be the team to beat next year but they will PROBALLY figure out a way to lose in the regional finals to Robinsiville or Murphy I do believe Mitchell will win a state title one day I was thinking if Mitchell had not had lost a few players to transfer to Heritage they might have won at least two champion's in the last 4 years Zeb Vernerson has been one of the best players in the mountains over the last 4years plus Trey Robinson he's from Mitchell who else besides the Burleson boys that have transferred to Heritage over the last 4 years I'm hoping we can entice a few more Mountaineers to slip across the hill Mitchell has had some talent last 4 years I count amagine how good Mitchell could have been with Vernerson and Robinson that's a scary though

East Surry had kid from MA that was suspended from sports for a year for something he did wrong. He started for ES. Good player. Funny how he would wind up playing for Cards this year. MA loses players all the time like this. Lost 3 starters this year bc they moved. One to Charlotte other to Whitthville VA and.one to ES.

Last edited:
MA is not even,in the mix for years to come,guess you guys probably will be walking out on your kids a lot this year .You spoiled city people have one loss this year and you clear the stands after half, major support for your kids up there.
You sound like you know it all Big Red Bird I guess East wins year end year out from here on out oh my oh smart one you know it all We Will See

Looking forward to what the Bulldogs put on the field this year. Lost several 3/4 year starters, that were two time State Championship starters and 3 time western regional starters. So I'm curious as to who will fill those BIG shoes. Not as familiar with this new squad as I have been. I know they all had an overall great record on JV the last several years. I've gotten to watch a few JV games over the last few years so I know they look good as a group on JV. The sophomores and the freshman that started this year did a great job along with a talented junior group. If they all play together as well as a group on Varsity as they did on JV, then it should be very fun to watch the next few years.

Reactions: Gps62
Not as familiar with this new squad as I have been. I know they all had an overall great record on JV the last several years. I've gotten to watch a few JV games over the last few years so I know they look good as a group on JV.
How good they are next year will depend on some new faces. Like I've said already they're going to need at least one or two of the sophomore skill kids that didn't play this year to come back out next season. If they don't play there's going to be a few holes in the starting lineup without obvious answers as well as depth issues in the secondary, unless a few transfers come in.

Last edited:
Would have been interesting to see what Murphy would have been like with a few who didn't play. Vining, Cruse, Clapsaddle, Blalock. They could have been even better

Would have been interesting to see what Murphy would have been like with a few who didn't play. Vining, Cruse, Clapsaddle, Blalock. They could have been even better
I agree but it's hard to include Clapsaddle and Blalock when they were out of the sport for over 2 years.

I don't think Clapsaddle was ever going to play again regardless after tearing his ACL first game of JV in '16. Not with him being a potential D1 baseball prospect, just too much risk. But even if he hadn't transferred and had he decided play I don't think he would've started on this year's team as a 10th grader, at least not with Vining playing.

As for your son, he had a lot of natural talent but he missed out on a lot of developmental time and seemed to lose some of his athleticism with the added weight after freshman year. How he would've factored in comes down to what kind of shape he was in and what kind of mindset he had. If those things were in order then Roberts, McTaggart, Cruse and him could've been an awesome quartet of linebackers.

The other two players you mentioned are less hypothetical, had Vining's dad not pulled him and had Cruse been academically eligible, they would've helped on offense certainly but where they really would've impacted the team was on defense. Those two would've made what turned out to be a really good defense just flat out nasty.

East Surry had kid from MA that was suspended from sports for a year for something he did wrong. He started for ES. Good player. Funny how he would wind up playing for Cards this year. MA loses players all the time like this. Lost 3 starters this year bc they moved. One to Charlotte other to Whitthville VA and.one to ES.
Buzzcoach, Did the East Surry transfer from Mount Airy play in the championship for Mount Airy in 2017 & again in 2018 for East Surry?

I agree but it's hard to include Clapsaddle and Blalock when they were out of the sport for over 2 years.

I don't think Clapsaddle was ever going to play again regardless after tearing his ACL first game of JV in '16. Not with him being a potential D1 baseball prospect, just too much risk. But even if he hadn't transferred and had he decided play I don't think he would've started on this year's team as a 10th grader, at least not with Vining playing.

As for your son, he had a lot of natural talent but he missed out on a lot of developmental time and seemed to lose some of his athleticism with the added weight after freshman year. How he would've factored in comes down to what kind of shape he was in and what kind of mindset he had. If those things were in order then Roberts, McTaggart, Cruse and him could've been an awesome quartet of linebackers.

The other two players you mentioned are less hypothetical, had Vining's dad not pulled him and had Cruse been academically eligible, they would've helped on offense certainly but where they really would've impacted the team was on defense. Those two would've made what turned out to be a really good defense just flat out nasty.
I agree a lot of what ifs with them all. My son definitely would have been in another role. Probably DL and TE. He is as big and strong as any he just lost any desire to play and was at peace with it. He really turned things around academically and personally Proud of him.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and mbdfan
I agree a lot of what ifs with them all. My son definitely would have been in another role. Probably DL and TE. He is as big and strong as any he just lost any desire to play and was at peace with it. He really turned things around academically and personally Proud of him.
He's going to win a shotput championship this year!! Kid has worked hard all year.

I cant speak with who will come out of the West next year with MA losing Greene and Smith and East Surry losing Gosnell and others and North Stanly losing Rhone, Davis, Rush, C Clark and E Clark but i know who is coming out of the East and thats Tarboro.

I cant speak with who will come out of the West next year with MA losing Greene and Smith and East Surry losing Gosnell and others and North Stanly losing Rhone, Davis, Rush, C Clark and E Clark but i know who is coming out of the East and thats Tarboro.
You know I love my Vikings, Finish. I know that this Tarboro team was at minimum 28 points better than anyone in 1A this year, but they have a ton of seniors leaving on offense and it appears those spots will be filled by rising juniors. We will know early on where the Vikings stand in 2019 because the first game of the season is against 3A power Rocky Mount. It's hard for even me to just write the Vikings into the championship game this early. A strong favorite, but not automatic by any means.

You know I love my Vikings, Finish. I know that this Tarboro team was at minimum 28 points better than anyone in 1A this year, but they have a ton of seniors leaving on offense and it appears those spots will be filled by rising juniors. We will know early on where the Vikings stand in 2019 because the first game of the season is against 3A power Rocky Mount. It's hard for even me to just write the Vikings into the championship game this early. A strong favorite, but not automatic by any means.
No disrespect to tarboro, I know they had a really good team this year. But I just dont see them beating this years Murphy team by 28. We will never know so I'm not going to argue. I think a Murphy vs Tarboro game this year would have been a good game. I do not believe they were 4 TDs better.

No disrespect to tarboro, I know they had a really good team this year. But I just dont see them beating this years Murphy team by 28. We will never know so I'm not going to argue. I think a Murphy vs Tarboro game this year would have been a good game. I do not believe they were 4 TDs better.
I did not feel my comment was in any way disrespectful of Murphy either. I factored 28 points two ways. The first is the obvious...Tarboro 28, North Stanly 0. The second was the differential between Murphy and Tarboro using the only metric available...common opponent. Tarboro beat Pamlico by 61. Murphy beat Pamlico by 33. That is a differential of 28 points.

In reality, 28 points is pretty generous. The most points Tarboro gave up to any 1A team this year was 10. I'll theoretically spot Murphy 14 points against the Viking defense and that may be generous. I just can't see Tarboro scoring less than 42 points on a team that gave up 27 to Pamlico. As you say, we will never truly know...but surely you can give me a better case than your personal belief. There are people that still believe the earth is flat and we faked the lunar landings. You can do better.

Reactions: Crimson jacket 1991

Wouldn't have been close.

Calculations like that mean nothing in sports. I believe that has been well proven over the years. That's why they play the games. I don't believe they would beat Murphy by 4tds. I do believe it would have been a good game. Happy New Year!

Hey great idea we should all forfeit ,cause ma will be so great next season lol! MA will beat the 98 percent in our sorry division ,but will have their ass handed to them again by east and Starmount this year!

Wouldn't have been close.
Would have been very physical upfront both lines big and good. Tarboros team speed would be the difference. The score comparison doesn't work because of different circumstances. Mctaggart being out made a difference primarily defensively. Tarboro wins a good game. I'd say a couple scores

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I did not feel my comment was in any way disrespectful of Murphy either. I factored 28 points two ways. The first is the obvious...Tarboro 28, North Stanly 0. The second was the differential between Murphy and Tarboro using the only metric available...common opponent. Tarboro beat Pamlico by 61. Murphy beat Pamlico by 33. That is a differential of 28 points.

In reality, 28 points is pretty generous. The most points Tarboro gave up to any 1A team this year was 10. I'll theoretically spot Murphy 14 points against the Viking defense and that may be generous. I just can't see Tarboro scoring less than 42 points on a team that gave up 27 to Pamlico. As you say, we will never truly know...but surely you can give me a better case than your personal belief. There are people that still believe the earth is flat and we faked the lunar landings. You can do better.
No doubt it would be a good game and I believe that Tarboro would win. To say a team that gave up 27 points to Pamlico doesn’t stand a chance doesn’t hold much water! 20 of those points came when the game was well in hand and 13 came with most of the starters on the sidelines! Again I say I still believe Tarboro would be victorious, but closer than most people would think.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
No doubt it would be a good game and I believe that Tarboro would win. To say a team that gave up 27 points to Pamlico doesn’t stand a chance doesn’t hold much water! 20 of those points came when the game was well in hand and 13 came with most of the starters on the sidelines! Again I say I still believe Tarboro would be victorious, but closer than most people would think.
All gentry has to do is play 1AA next year then we will all know.

Why does rville want another kiddie pool (as you call it) title!!! He plays wherever they are put! Do u ever stop and think before you type?
We belong in the kiddie pool. Why do you want another kiddie pool title?

I think it would be similar to the East Surry game,depending on turnovers.

Reactions: Gps62 and HowerinJr
I am not from Murphy nor do I pull for them! I am just smart enough to know how the system works. They play where they are put! Quit crying on here and start calling nchsaa if you think something is wrong.
Agree^

I am not from Murphy nor do I pull for them! I am just smart enough to know how the system works. They play where they are put! Quit crying on here and start calling nchsaa if you think something is wrong.
Yes please call them so maybe they can let you in on the facts and rules that no matter how many times people try to tell you on here you never seem to get it !

The problem is he/she doesn’t have enough minutes to call Raleigh. They have to save those minutes for grandma to order take out. They go use the Mcd’s WiFi to post on here while waiting to pick up the food.

Reactions: GreyGod623
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT