ADVERTISEMENT

Way too Early 2019 Pre-Season 1A Top 10

Biggest factor off all is which level Mitchell and Murphy will be in. Both 1A, both 1AA, one in each. That will likely decide the state champions of 1A.

What all players come to North other than 2 players? North may be down some no question they are losing a lot of talent and boys that have played together a long time. But JV was good and the middle school was undefeated in 2017.

Cold biscuit its been a long time since you've beaten swain county in bryson city.

1. Tarboro (until proven otherwise)
2. Murphy (See note above)
3. Holmes

4-10 pick your order of:
Mt. Airy (What kind of effect will losing Green have?)
Mitchell (Big losses on the line and defense but return alot)
Robbinsville ( will the two headed monster at rb be enough)
ES (lost of Gosnell will sting)
Starmount (Can they build off this season)
Swain (will the line get more physical)
Pamlico? Rosewood? Northampton? apologies to the eastern teams I dont know as much about them.

Transfers and murphy.you would have to turn back hands of time and bring back Carl Pickens and Jake Smith if you plan on winning in bryson city next year.gentry might retire Thursday night before that trip.swain got embarrassed in murphy this year and they'll be ready for this one.they were young and hadn't really felt what swain and murphy means and the hardware that was at stake when they play each other.its hard to find many other rivalries that have had the success of swain and murphy.been some great high school football games between these two.next year will be no different

Gosnell will go to Carroll county and they are moving to Cana VA just north of MA. Father has a church their! And it's funny how y'all saying few kids not playing how bad it will make yall......hmmmm same thing we said about our 2 kids that were hurt when we played y'all 3rd.rd. Dam right it makes a difference in 1A football. GoBears!!!!!

I don’t think Tarboro will be as dominant next year just because this team set the bar so high. But given their margin of victory versus 1A teams, they could drop off a lot and still be the favorites to repeat as state champions.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Gosnell will go to Carroll county and they are moving to Cana VA just north of MA. Father has a church their! And it's funny how y'all saying few kids not playing how bad it will make yall......hmmmm same thing we said about our 2 kids that were hurt when we played y'all 3rd.rd. Dam right it makes a difference in 1A football. GoBears!!!!!

Good point. Very good point.

Isn’t that only like 30 minutes from Pilot Mountain?

I don’t think Tarboro will be as dominant next year just because this team set the bar so high. But given their margin of victory versus 1A teams, they could drop off a lot and still be the favorites to repeat as state champions.

So much truth to this statement. Big gap between #1 and whoever claims #2.

East will still be the favorite for the NW1A and will stomp MA yes it makes a difference but not 40 points no single player is 40 points. BTW that QB at MA that everyone raves about won’t have 3,000 yards the rest of his career most overrated player I’ve ever seen all because he had the Greene brothers to throw to

East will still be the favorite for the NW1A and will stomp MA yes it makes a difference but not 40 points no single player is 40 points. BTW that QB at MA that everyone raves about won’t have 3,000 yards the rest of his career most overrated player I’ve ever seen all because he had the Greene brothers to throw to

Way to put down a kid esod. That kid is a sophomore and dam good kid and player. Think y'all will stomp ma just bring it bc uk at end of day MA rules ES. More conference titles more State Titles. Ur a prick to put a kid down like u just did.....classless.

I’ll say this ,ma #6 is a hell of a rb ,better than east has ,so maybe y’all should have persuaded my Airy news to highlight him cause he is very deserving.

Donovan green is a super athlete ,very fast and aware.He went and got a a lot of those passes this year.Next season when he’s throwing to a average receiver ,lets see how good that accuracy is ,and especially when you play a team that actually rushes the qb.

U folks putting North Stanly or MIC in top 10 are absolutely clueless. Yes clueless. Please explain if u do, because I want a good laugh. It’s Tarboro then everyone else. And the red birds won’t even see Tarboro much less beat them.

North Stanly has lived through having a Div 1 runningback for the last 7 years with only 3 playoff wins. There are no more coming down the pipeline. We all play in such a terrible 1a conference that we are always guaranteed 4-5 wins per year, but that is about all that NS will win next year. Get over yourself and enjoy your return back to reality.

Reactions: DeadpoolX
No offense but I think Murphy people know what's coming back more than a fan of another team, the drop off next year won't be nearly as steep as some outsiders may think. Murphy has some big shoes to fill at certain positions but I don't see a lot of big question marks going into next year at too many places besides free safety (depending on whether Isra plays), outside linebacker and maybe tight end. They'll be a few spots where Murphy is young: QB, WR, CB but they won't lack for talent in those places.

Yes, Murphy loses Nelson at QB and that's a loss but Robbinsville also loses Orr at QB. Murphy has their answer at QB on the roster in Rumfelt, he's going to be young and he'll experience the typical growing pains a young QB does but whoever Robbinsville starts at QB will have the same learning curve.

Murphy does lose McTaggart and Allen in the backfield, both super talented players and their losses will be felt. But the kids replacing them are talented in their own right. Murray will take over at RB, Rathburn at FB and probably Dorsey at WB, they'll be more than fine at those spots. And those backs are going to be running behind what Murphy's o-line coach has said will be the best o-line he's had at Murphy.

As far as replacing McTaggart and Roberts on defense, that's a big concern but Murphy does return two starters at linebacker in Ray Rathburn and Parker Posey. Robbinsville on the other hand is losing Orr, Ornelas and Lovin at linebacker, so I could ask how's Robbinsville going to replace those three? Those are huge losses for your defense as well.

Murphy loses Nelson at free safety and to me this is a bigger blow than his loss at QB, Nelson was a very very good safety. They do have a potential talented answer there in Isra Smith (who was Murphy's starting FS and RB on their undefeated 2017 JV team) if he comes out to play again next season, which I feel confident that he will. Isra is Murphy's most talented skill player in the sophomore class. Another kid that will probably start in the secondary if he comes back out is Mikey Crowder, who was the fastest kid on the team before he quit. He like Isra was a starter in the secondary on Murphy's undefeated 2017 JV team. Robbinsville loses Jase Phillips at safety as well, that's a big loss for the Black Knights too. I know some Robbinsville people who considered Phillips your best all around player.

Shope and Bodine are big losses on the d-line but Murphy will definitely not be counting on JV players to fill those spots. Rashad Davis will take Hunter Shope's spot on both sides of the line and he's going to be a beast, kid would've started anywhere else in the conference this year. The other likely replacement on the d-line is Slade's younger brother Bailey McTaggart, who will be a senior next year and got plenty of reps this year. Murphy's d-line will be fine, maybe not quite as good next year but it won't be too far off, especially with Rayburn and Stalcup returning.

You're putting a lot of stock in moving Murray to tailback. I went back and watched the video of our two games against Murphy, just to watch him run. At Robbinsville, he was terrible. Caught a nice pass from Nelson for a chunk, but ran soft. He doesn't hit the hole hard at all and doesn't look like a Murphy tailback. He had a little better game at Murphy, but my overall impression was that he just glides, looks for a hole, and if he doesn't see one, goes down. I like our D's chance of stopping him. Who knows, maybe MBD, you'll get a stud running back transfer come in. Meanwhile, here in Title Town, we'll play with our kids. I'll stand by my stance that we are the favorites. We'll settle it on the field next fall.

Reactions: BK13T-$
North Stanly has lived through having a Div 1 runningback for the last 7 years with only 3 playoff wins. There are no more coming down the pipeline. We all play in such a terrible 1a conference that we are always guaranteed 4-5 wins per year, but that is about all that NS will win next year. Get over yourself and enjoy your return back to reality.
Don’t sleep on there rising junior running back Barber, kid can definitely play in college and uncle played d1 so he’s got the bloodlines. He runs hard and will surprise many people.

Don’t sleep on there rising junior running back Barber, kid can definitely play in college and uncle played d1 so he’s got the bloodlines. He runs hard and will surprise many people.

I think North Stanly has proven that it isn't the talent on the team it's the leadership. No team in the YVC or the West has had as much D1 talent on one roster in the last 4-5 years as North Stanly. Three playoff wins, recruits from multiple counties, arguments on the sidelines and on the field with the players and zero on field discipline. Sooner or later the Comet fans have to come to grips with the fact that North Stanly isn't and hasn't ever been a program. Collecting players for one or two seasons only to win a watered down YVC is about the best you are going to get.

come on man , they practically got screwed . 28 to 0 with tarboro . we know what would’ve happened if they were in the west , possibly made the title game and if not definitely the western regional .

Reactions: KW23
Biggest factor off all is which level Mitchell and Murphy will be in. Both 1A, both 1AA, one in each. That will likely decide the state champions of 1A.
I doubt very much that Mitchell will be in the 1AA in the foreseeable future. As I have mentioned in another tread my daughters graduated in 2013 & 14 when they were at Bowman middle school there were four middle schools now they are going close the last two Harris & Bowman and are going build one below the high school and this past year they already played football as Mitchell middle school. So obviously the student population is down.

When has North had a "shot" at a State Title? You don't win State in losing in the 3rd Round. And if you don't think the coaches are out actively trying to get kids to come to North Stanly then you are more delusional that you sound. You can call it what you want but if I'm a decent player I'd like to play for a coaching staff that can coach.

Why are you so one sided about North Stanly? Why are you on here all the time talking crap? You sound like a middle-aged man trying to relive his high school football days. You speak on making it to the play-offs but your "team" didn't even appear in them this year. In a previous post you talked about how North will be the new homecoming games, I'd love to see a West Mont and North Stanly homecoming match up knowing that the outcome will be a North win. DJ left West Mont because HE WANTED a shot at the title, DJ's a smart guy, he moved because West couldn't provide what North can.

Reactions: KW23
West played North Stanly several times for Homecoming. Guess what? North got smacked around. North Stanly has had two or three good years out of 57. Rhone left West Montgomery for several reasons. He should graduate this year so what did North provide him that West Montgomery couldn't? Well, he went to the 3rd round last year and was beaten by Tarboro just like this year. Two years ago they made it to State. West Montgomery is closed for athletics after this year. You sound like somebody that watched several Homecoming games while getting drug up and down the football field. So what exactly did North provide Rhone that West Montgomery didn't? LMAO....so pathetic of a fan base.

I'll stand by my stance that we are the favorites. We'll settle it on the field next fall.
That's fine, we're all entitled to our opinion. Like you said it will be settled on the field, I like Murphy's chances.

I'd give Robbinsville a lot better chance of beating Murphy next year if it was at Big Oaks but it isn't. Robbinsville played Murphy somewhat close at at Big Oaks this year but got destroyed at the Hill. I don't see the Knights beating Murphy at the Hill next year. Robbinsville still has a good shot at a shared conference title because Murphy will have their hands full like always in Bryson City.

As far as Murray at RB goes, I disagree, I think you're selling him short. Murray was a RB before he was a WB and he never looked out of place at RB on JV at all. I think he'll be good there and Murphy will have other options if for some reason they decide to keep him at WB. Either way Murphy backs will have plenty of running room behind a big and super talented o-line next season.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="mbdfan, hey can you private message up here and if so how do you do it. Mbdfan you seem pretty knowledgeable about Murphy football, was trying to find out some info about a past player and thought maybe you would know, message if you get a min

Mbdfan you seem pretty knowledgeable about Murphy football, was trying to find out some info about a past player and thought maybe you would know, message if you get a min
I don't think you can private message on here unless you have a premium account. You're welcome to e-mail me though, my e-mail is: stpdaf1@yahoo.com

Bears will have a stable of running backs next year, johnathon Smith will be the feature back running behind a very experienced offensive line. The backfield in Mt Airy will be very good for the next few years. Qb is good , having another year under his belt will help, he looses the Greene’s but picks up penn and a couple more . Kaulin Smith will have a great year. Bears will move to a run based offense and you will see poindexter look like a more typical bear qb in extending the pocket and running it abit. Reminiscent of Araon Wheeler and Austin Taylor. Wouldn’t count on gosnells moving to Carroll county , same rumor circulated last year . If he does Mt Airy is closer than heading up the mountain every day to Hillsville, as a parent I would send my kids 15 minutes to Ma, not for athletics but because it’s a safer drive than heading the mountain every day. With or without gosnell east will be very good. But doesn’t matter either way , Bears are gonna still be good enuff to beat them with what they have and the offense I for see them running . I wouldn’t count my chickens before they hatch. If gosnell ends up at Ma, that addition wins a state championship, a couple with the younger gosnell in the mix

Last edited:
Bears will have a stable of running backs next year, johnathon Smith will be the feature back running behind a very experienced offensive line. The backfield in Mt Airy will be very good for the next few years. Qb is good , having another year under his belt will help, he looses the Greene’s but picks up penn and a couple more . Kaulin Smith will have a great year. Bears will move to a run based offense and you will see poindexter look like a more typical bear qb in extending the pocket and running it abit. Reminiscent of Araon Wheeler and Austin Taylor. Wouldn’t count on gosnells moving to Carroll county , same rumor circulated last year . If he does Mt Airy is closer than heading up the mountain every day to Hillsville, as a parent I would send my kids 15 minutes to Ma, not for athletics but because it’s a safer drive than heading the mountain every day. With or without gosnell east will be very good. But doesn’t matter either way , Bears are gonna still be good enuff to beat them with what they have and the offense I for see them running . I wouldn’t count my chickens before they hatch. If gosnell ends up at Ma, that addition wins a state championship, a couple with the younger gosnell in the mix
lol Mount Airy ain't winning nothing next year with or without that kid or anytime in the future wit Wallace Rose Hill and Reidsville moving down in 2021 and the Vikings of Tarboro will always be right there. Mount Airy don't have the athletes to match up wit those 3 now or ever.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT