ADVERTISEMENT

Tuscola Football

I think that's just a case of them being just flat out better. Like I said you're not gonna come off the mountain and beat many teams but at least the option keeps you competitive and respectable. It just takes practice it can't happen over night. Get the middle school and youth programs running it so when they get to high school it's second nature to them. That's why south point is so good at it, those kids run that from age 4 till age 18
Brother..I tried that very thing.And hit a brick wall when I suggested it.

Brother..I tried that very thing.And hit a brick wall when I suggested it.
We're starting to run into the same problem down here in Lincolnton. Being stubborn and wanting to be "flashy" when you don't have the right athletes will not get you anywhere. When you play against teams like you guys do that have better athletes the best way to negate that is to wear them down and then go for the home run. I really would like to see Tuscola be back in the mix because it's good for high school football but playing daddy ball ain't going to get you anywhere.

Reactions: 91ths
Haywood county has its little cliques.And it always has. Results be damned.And starts from the youth level and goes up from there.Its sad but no one esp. on our side of the county can get past who knows who and does what for you . It's all about their clique and what's best for them and theirs.To hell with the rest. Sorry guys but it had to be said.

Reactions: esah2212
Haywood county has its little cliques.And it always has. Results be damned.And starts from the youth level and goes up from there.Its sad but no one esp. on our side of the county can get past who knows who and does what for you . It's all about their clique and what's best for them and theirs.To hell with the rest. Sorry guys but it had to be said.
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather win 8-9 games a year and have my kid score 2-4 touchdowns than have my kid scoring every night and only getting about 4-5 wins a season. Going to the playoffs and winning a few games is what the kids remember most, not the 4 touchdowns they scored against North Henderson.

Look, take it from a Crest fan. Since 2006 South Point has been The biggest thorn in our side. Crest has more athletes easily, but after Head coaches Kirby, Barnes, freakin Clark, and now Eddins, Crest still can’t figure out how to stop that damn option, the few times Crest has stopped it is because Crest talent was out the roof, or South Point was just really young and inexperienced. Crest would whoop South Point if they ran the Spread offense. I promise that. But that damn red bone owns Crest every single year almost, and I’m sick of it.

Look, take it from a Crest fan. Since 2006 South Point has been The biggest thorn in our side. Crest has more athletes easily, but after Head coaches Kirby, Barnes, freakin Clark, and now Eddins, Crest still can’t figure out how to stop that damn option, the few times Crest has stopped it is because Crest talent was out the roof, or South Point was just really young and inexperienced. Crest would whoop South Point if they ran the Spread offense. I promise that. But that damn red bone owns Crest every single year almost, and I’m sick of it.
Same thing for us at Lincolnton. It's annoying as hell but you learn to appreciate it over time

Reactions: crest91
In 2003 Asheville high was ranked number 1 in 3A for 10 weeks. Undefeated at 13-0. Met south point in the fourth round and we got the s*** kicked out of us 57-10. If one guy on defense doesn’t play their assignment and the qb makes good decisions, you will get obliterated. Asheville matched south point athlete for athlete, but if that triple option is run right, it’s almost impossible for a high school scheme/defense to stop it.

The programs that are successful year in and year out at least tamper in youth, and run from middle school all the way through HS the same O and D. Haywood youth has always been daddy ball, half the people that coach do not even have Madden exp and half the kids that start out playing youth don't actually start playing together till they hit middle school, parents just take the kids wherever, no consistency at all.

Reactions: bears man and 91ths
just my opinion but almost everyone is hs football thinks offense. when schools hire new coach4es they almost always go for offensive coaches but it's defense that wins. tuscola is not going to outscore reynolds, asheville, or erwin. they and other athletically challenged team ala enka and north buncombe need to control clock keep the score down at least in the 20's and hope defense can get a few turnovers and a special teams play or two to win some of those games

Reactions: golfwang8
I think that's just a case of them being just flat out better. Like I said you're not gonna come off the mountain and beat many teams but at least the option keeps you competitive and respectable. It just takes practice it can't happen over night. Get the middle school and youth programs running it so when they get to high school it's second nature to them. That's why south point is so good at it, those kids run that from age 4 till age 18
I'm not sure what the middle school has ran the last several years but they are always very good and the JV team has won 15 or 16 in a row, and there isn't much respectable or competitive about 45-6 in a playoff game when you supposedly have one of the best coaches in the state and his signature offense. I really think it has hampered THS that pursley didn't try to mix it up more, I don't know if you watched many Tuscola games but we didn't have to come of the mountain to get destroyed, anyone with a decent coach and two eyeballs knew that pursley wouldn't and couldn't throw the ball and it still plagues the team now.

Reactions: THS4Me
The programs that are successful year in and year out at least tamper in youth, and run from middle school all the way through HS the same O and D. Haywood youth has always been daddy ball, half the people that coach do not even have Madden exp and half the kids that start out playing youth don't actually start playing together till they hit middle school, parents just take the kids wherever, no consistency at all.
Waynesville didn't even have a youth league this year due to poor leadership, my son had to go play for canton, but he didn't mind, it was ran much smoother than the Waynesville league has been. But, the youth league has mostly ran a version of the option anyhow, its predominantly run.

Waynesville didn't even have a youth league this year due to poor leadership, my son had to go play for canton, but he didn't mind, it was ran much smoother than the Waynesville league has been. But, the youth league has mostly ran a version of the option anyhow, its predominantly run.
Leadership problems have plagued it for years,No parental support/volunteers ,no community support,no school system support[field use] etc.,no town support [see field use] .Plenty of finger pointing and bitchin and complaining though. Until we all get on the same page on our side of the county these are the results.

This explains why Tuscola petitioned to get out of the WMAC. They just don't have the athletes to compete with the top 3 schools. They would be better off in Pisgah conference where they could compete for championships in a lot of sports. That being said you don't just get to leave the conference because it's tough. If that was the case in enka and North Buncombe would have got out a long time ago

THS was in this conference for years and won year in and year out so that's a complete cop out wanting out, nothing wrong with this conference, it forces them to be competitive and hopefully they get back there in the next year or so, I don't care if they have to bring back the Doug Brooks wishbone. We aren't winning state championships every year but there is no reason we can't still compete with AC or Asheville consistently, it was done for years at one point.

I keep seeing the term "Daddy Ball." Please explain. Are there Dad's on the staff or is it more of pressure from the boosters, big wigs in the community?

I keep seeing the term "Daddy Ball." Please explain. Are there Dad's on the staff or is it more of pressure from the boosters, big wigs in the community?
Booster and big wigs, too much outside influence that has plagued Tuscola for several years now.

THS was in this conference for years and won year in and year out so that's a complete cop out wanting out, nothing wrong with this conference, it forces them to be competitive and hopefully they get back there in the next year or so, I don't care if they have to bring back the Doug Brooks wishbone. We aren't winning state championships every year but there is no reason we can't still compete with AC or Asheville consistently, it was done for years at one point.

It's simple, you just don't have the team speed and athletes to compete with the top teams in the wmac. No amount of coaching will change that.

It's simple, you just don't have the team speed and athletes to compete with the top teams in the wmac. No amount of coaching will change that.
Thing is, we used to, we were a top team in the old mac for a long time, but the demographics have changed, and people refuse to see that.

This explains why Tuscola petitioned to get out of the WMAC. They just don't have the athletes to compete with the top 3 schools. They would be better off in Pisgah conference where they could compete for championships in a lot of sports. That being said you don't just get to leave the conference because it's tough. If that was the case in enka and North Buncombe would have got out a long time ago
Tuscola doesn’t want out because the conference is hard.. they want out cause they have 950 students and AC/TC etc. have 1400-1700 students. Plain and simple.

Tuscola doesn’t want out because the conference is hard.. they want out cause they have 950 students and AC/TC etc. have 1400-1700 students. Plain and simple.
Wellco is gone, Dayco is gone, also the days of Tuscola being even close to 4a like they used to be is gone, demographics have shifted, hopefully the mill never shuts down, Haywood as a whole would be hurting really bad.

Reactions: PBBear51
Yes that is true...our local government would rather push minimum wage tourism jobs rather than some true industry out this way, and that has definitely hurt this end of the county now that it is nothing but Floridiots out here anymore.

Yes that is true...our local government would rather push minimum wage tourism jobs rather than some true industry out this way, and that has definitely hurt this end of the county now that it is nothing but Floridiots out here anymore.

We currently have a Floridiate as Congressman.

Last edited:
So what do Tuscola fans expect from your team? Do you think that you guys could beat teams like ACR, Asheville and Erwin consistently? I guess what I'm asking is in the end how good do you think Tuscola could be every season

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
So what do Tuscola fans expect from your team? Do you think that you guys could beat teams like ACR, Asheville and Erwin consistently? I guess what I'm asking is in the end how good do you think Tuscola could be every season
Tbh I don't know anymore, the demo is so different, i honestly do not know what type of kids they have anymore, back in my day you had good ole tough, cornfed kids, this is the video game age, not so much anymore.

After reading all these comments from the fine folks in the Waynesville community, it seems evident that not everyone is on the same page. In my humble opinion, Tuscola needs to find some kind of offense like South Point or Hibriten and start installing it at the youth level and then follow that on up. I know that might be a tall task but until you get everyone gets on the same page with a system, I feel mediocrity with the occasional great year is your destiny. If they could ever get that culture changed and start working together then the future could be a lot brighter.

After reading all these comments from the fine folks in the Waynesville community, it seems evident that not everyone is on the same page. In my humble opinion, Tuscola needs to find some kind of offense like South Point or Hibriten and start installing it at the youth level and then follow that on up. I know that might be a tall task but until you get everyone gets on the same page with a system, I feel mediocrity with the occasional great year is your destiny. If they could ever get that culture changed and start working together then the future could be a lot brighter.
Well said and spot on. But as previously mentioned there are too many cliques and ego to allow it. And it is on display and starts at youth and goes all the way up. I suggested it a few years ago and pitched the idea only to be ignored .

Bro just look at the enrollment numbers pisgah has more students than tuscola, why is pisgah not in the mac?

Bro just look at the enrollment numbers pisgah has more students than tuscola, why is pisgah not in the mac?
Probly has a lot to do with the amount of Pisgah alumni on the school board.Just a thought.

Probly has a lot to do with the amount of Pisgah alumni on the school board.Just a thought.

You really reaching now. The majority of voters live in your end of the county.
You guys keep talking about daddy ball when it was you and your coach that gave us a former Tuscola player who helped us kick your ass three years in a row.It was you that never wanted Sexton, Allen or Nolard all with Pisgah ties.You are now paying for all those mistakes and it will only get worse.
You want to blame someone look in the mirror.

Reactions: WNCfballFan
Ok guys how come pisgah is not in the mac with more students than tuscola?

Waynesville dropped their youth program and I hear the Lake J numbers are down as well. Macon, Clay and Jackson numbers are down That is very concerning to me. I'm afraid that WNC is becoming a microcosm of what has been going on in other places . The drop of interest in playing, concussion scares (it pains me to say are legitimate), un-coachable kids, less tough kids, lack of commitment, etc are killing our sport. We all had played with bumps, bruises and concussions (some of us more than other (Mr. Bud) - just kidding bro), but those days are over. Just look at the videos of the recent protests. Politics aside please, do you think those parents will raise a boy that will fill the alley, block a linebacker, catch a pass over the middle in traffic? There's no way the numbers will be sustained. Then if you allow alderman, businessmen, barbers, commissioners, and others play Daddy ball, its not a good situation. Coaches hands are quickly becoming tied.

You really reaching now. The majority of voters live in your end of the county.
You guys keep talking about daddy ball when it was you and your coach that gave us a former Tuscola player who helped us kick your ass three years in a row.It was you that never wanted Sexton, Allen or Nolard all with Pisgah ties.You are now paying for all those mistakes and it will only get worse.
You want to blame someone look in the mirror.
That situation wreaked of daddy ball Jack.o_O And you couldn't be more wrong on who I wanted as coach at that time.As for getting worse I believe you are wrong. Y'all's time is coming so enjoy it.

It was you that never wanted Sexton, Allen or Nolard all with Pisgah ties.You are now paying for all those mistakes and it will only get worse.

If I were a Tuscola fan I would agree on all accounts. Caldwell, Hodgins, Brooks, Keifer and Pursley were all far superior than that crowd. Brooks was the only one from WNC. If you want a great coach, leave the mountains to get them. Local boys play Daddy ball. To be clear, Brooks didn't play Daddy ball at all and his defenses (Dennis Hefner) were bad to the bone.

Last edited:
I have an idea, shut down Tuscola and Pisgah and create Tusgah High School in the middle of the county, become a 4A team and dominate WNC then. :)

The reason Pisgah is not in the WMAC is the fact that two years ago Tuscola's enrollment was something like 30ish students more than Pisgah- conversely it placed them above the 3A/2A split thus forcing them to class as a 3A school. All jokes aside- they should be in 2A playing in the Mountain Six. Classification is based upon realignment and sadly its only done every four years.

Reactions: PBBear51
The enrollment numbers were fine for Tuscola when they had 400+ more kids than Pisgah and won 10 in a row. Now that its even and they've lost 6 straight those admins just aren't up to snuff!

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT