ADVERTISEMENT

Top players in 1A history

Cawthorn right now represents the 11th district and Gash was planning to run against him in the 11th but Cawthorn announced he'll be running in the newly drawn 13th district. There is no 14th only 12 districts now they're adding a 13th next election.
I am sure you are correct about the districts, my district 14 comment came straight from the News and Observer article I posted.

Quote from N & O

Cawthorn announced that instead of running in the new District 14 where he lives, he would run in District 13, which includes N.C. House Speaker Tim Moore’s home in Cleveland County.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article255751151.html#storylink=cpy

I am sure you are correct about the districts, my district 14 comment came straight from the News and Observer article I posted.

Quote from N & O

Cawthorn announced that instead of running in the new District 14 where he lives, he would run in District 13, which includes N.C. House Speaker Tim Moore’s home in Cleveland County.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article255751151.html#storylink=cpy
I find it ludicrous that anyone can run for any seat without living there.

Yes Mike Chatham is a descendant of the Chathams that ran Chatham Manufacturing. Lots of things in Elkin has that name. Hugh Chatham Hospital and the Hugh Chatham Bridge (torn down).

Quote from N & O

You're correct I was looking at a wrong map that first added 13th but found the one for midterm 2022 and they've turn the now 11th district to the 14th subtracting Polk, McDowell and the half of Rutherford county and putting them in the 13th and adding Watauga county except for a small part of it looks like an area of the county that includes Boone and putting in the relocated 11th.

Last edited:
I find it ludicrous that anyone can run for any seat without living there.

Virginia Foxx has property in Watauga but she sure doesn't stay there when not in DC.

It's a farce that anyone can run in any district and not live there. It's also a farce that Madison Cawthorn is serving in Congress.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I always heard stories about Pickens and the high jump. He would pass on jumps until it was around 6'4", then he would start. Any other memories from anyone who saw him jump?

Reactions: mbdfan
Could Shawn Johnson be one or did he go to school around here?
Shawn played at Murphy, he was a grade below Carl Pickens. He was a multi year starter at NC State, freshman All ACC etc. He was probably headed for the NFL too but had major knee issues that derailed him.

Shawn played at Murphy, he was a grade below Carl Pickens. He was a multi year starter at NC State, freshman All ACC etc. He was probably headed for the NFL too but had major knee issues that derailed hi
That’s what I thought. He was my shop teacher in high school.

EJ Abrams Ward from Thomasville. Won three state championships in football at four different positions…fullback, linebacker, wide receiver and quarterback. He also punted. Team went 56-4 in his four years. Also won two state championships in basketball. His best sport was probably baseball.
NCHSAA Male Athlete of the Year for all classifications. Number one football recruit in the state in football with dozens of D1 offers. Chose Tennessee over UNC. Got caught up in the coaching change fiasco and was booted from the team. First of a long string of bad decisions. Sad, sad story for a man who could have had a tremendously bright future.
EJ was hands down the best high school athlete I ever saw in person.
Great post @ocdavis31! I believe we have discussed this before, there needs to be a documentary on EJ. I have the title. "How to lose $100,000,000!"

I know Tarboro has had Kelvin Bryant, Donald Franks, Shaun Draughn, Todd Gurley, and Tyquan Lewis all go play in the NFL - but they all played when Tarboro was 3A/2A.

Who are some of the top 1A players to make it to a big college or NFL thru th
Folks forget about C. J. Wilson out of Northside. He was a man child who played RB in HS and then went on to have a long career in NFL as a DL after ECU.

Folks forget about C. J. Wilson out of Northside. He was a man child who played RB in HS and then went on to have a long career in NFL as a DL after ECU.
Whenever I work in Belhaven I always see the sign they have honoring him as you’re going into town.

Reactions: Redhotdogs
I'm surprised this name hasn't popped up yet Jefferson boaz.
I'm not sure why he went to UNC he'd been better off at a smaller college or maybe just a different D1 were where he could play, don't know what other offers he got but I assume he could always try to transfer if he wants. Howell injured and they still have played two other QB's before him, I'd personally rather be playing somewhere then stand on the sideline my whole college career.
Just hope my WolfPack beats them tomorrow the only thing that sucks about tomorrow night is that game will be at the same time as the Mitchell/ MA game.

He was a good one. Heath shuler was better IMO.
I dont even think that's an opinion, it's a fact, unless Boaz goes on to tear it up in college and makes it to the NFL and starts. Sure Heath was a bust in the NFL but he was a 3 time state champion in high school, an All American and Heisman trophy finalist in college and the 3rd overall pick in the NFL draft, that's still a big time resume. Heath was also a much better athlete than Boaz (Heath would've thrived in a modern spread offense).

Last edited:
I dont even think that's an opinion, it's a fact, unless Boaz goes on to tear it up in college and makes it to the NFL. Heath was a Heisman trophy finalist and a 1st round draft pick, also a much better athlete than Boaz (Heath would've thrived in a modern spread offense). Sure Heath was a bust in the NFL but he was a 3 time state champion in high school and an All American in college, still a big time resume.
I think he might had a better chance I'm the NFL if he had stayed at TN one more year. He got out in a bad situation in Washington from the get go the W media was always against him. Then I believe he hurt his foot or something didn't he and never seemed to fully recover?

I'm not sure why he went to UNC he'd been better off at a smaller college or maybe just a different D1 were where he could play, don't know what other offers he got but I assume he could always try to transfer if he wants. Howell injured and they still have played two other QB's before him, I'd personally rather be playing somewhere then stand on the sideline my whole college career.
Just hope my WolfPack beats them tomorrow the only thing that sucks about tomorrow night is that game will be at the same time as the Mitchell/ MA game.

I think UNC had a pretty big QB commit this fall as well. Boaz probably would be better off at a non power 5 school or FCS school. Especially if he wants to play QB. I'd say he will eventually transfer.

I think he might had a better chance I'm the NFL if he had stayed at TN one more year. He got out in a bad situation in Washington from the get go the W media was always against him. Then I believe he hurt his foot or something didn't he and never seemed to fully recover?
He definitely should've stayed at UT another year, he wasnt refined enough as a passer. Heath somewhat got by on pure athleticism/arm talent in college, he couldn't do that once he got to the NFL and his lack of refinement showed. Washington wasn't a great situation by any means but the other QB Washington drafted the same year as Heath (Gus Frerotte 7th round) went on to have a long semi solid career in the NFL.

Heath needed to go somewhere he could sit on the bench and learn for a while and that didn't happen. Although just to be honest I'm not entirely sure Heath had the brain to make it as an NFL QB, at least not in that era. It's a lot different now with the way defense is played (or should I say isn't) and the way offense is played. Heath is a prime example of a player that would do even better in this era of football than he did his own.

Last edited:
Jefferson Boaz isn’t even in the Top 5 of players to come out of East Surry. Jefferson is at Carolina and knew going in that he would never play unless he changed positions. His family is Carolina blood and he’s happy to just be there. Most people actually think his brother is better, just doesn’t have the same supporting cast around him.

The players that have come from ES that are better than him-
Chris Griggs- one of the best running backs to ever play in NC, just couldn’t cut it academically no matter where he went.
Daniel Lynch- 4 year starter at Catawba & spent a couple years with the New England Patriots.
Trenton Love- Another ridiculous running back, just spent 3 years behind Griggs. Also couldn’t cut it academically.
Stephen Gosnell- Most of Boaz’s success is because of Gosnell. Gosnell was an elite WR at the 1A level and no one really could stop him 1 on 1.

Pretty sure Carl had the state record in the high jump
The prior year a guy jumped less than one inch higher. Same year as Pickens, 1987, the state champion from Rose went 7'1", also. That was the state meet record until 2002.

Swain had a good QB back in the 78 or 79 season. I played against him but I can’t recall his name. Getting old lol ! He went on and played at Georgia Tech where he started in the secondary. Maybe the Swain folks can help with his name

Swain had a good QB back in the 78 or 79 season. I played against him but I can’t recall his name. Getting old lol ! He went on and played at Georgia Tech where he started in the secondary. Maybe the Swain folks can help with his name !
Lol. As soon as I posted this his name came to me !! Denny Rochester. He was a very good 1A/2A athlete

Last edited:
And Ricky Lyles from Murphy...maybe the best pure athlete I've ever seen
Got to mention Tony Colbert, played some slow pitch softball around him in the late 80’s early 90’s unreal athleticism and even nicer guy. Heard he was drafted by the Pittsburgh pirates? He could get around the bases faster than anybody I’ve ever saw. Had a cannon for an arm. Wasn’t anything special for him to hit a couple 400 ft homer’s a game , at least not to him we were in awe of what he made look easy

Got to mention Tony Colbert, played some slow pitch softball around him in the late 80’s early 90’s unreal athleticism and even nicer guy. Heard he was drafted by the Pittsburgh pirates? He could get around the bases faster than anybody I’ve ever saw. Had a cannon for an arm. Wasn’t anything special for him to hit a couple 400 ft homer’s a game , at least not to him we were in awe of what he made look easy
TC is a great dude too. Tough as nails. Cant remember if it was his junior or senior year but he played much of the football season with a broken rib (or ribs) and still probably carried it 30+ times a game. I think it was the Cubs that drafted him.

For a couple of years in baseball 2/3 of Murphys outfield were Ricky and TC...imagine that..lol

I was playing 3rd base against him in softball 1 year and he smoked a 1 hopper to me and talked the whole way down the line telling me I wouldnt throw him out..he was right..lol

TC is a great dude too. Tough as nails. Cant remember if it was his junior or senior year but he played much of the football season with a broken rib (or ribs) and still probably carried it 30+ times a game. I think it was the Cubs that drafted him.

For a couple of years in baseball 2/3 of Murphys outfield were Ricky and TC...imagine that..lol

I was playing 3rd base against him in softball 1 year and he smoked a 1 hopper to me and talked the whole way down the line telling me I wouldnt throw him out..he was right..lol
That would have been some speed in the outfield . About 65% of the earth is covered by water and those guys cover the rest of it !

Reactions: therealsquid
The prior year a guy jumped less than one inch higher. Same year as Pickens, 1987, the state champion from Rose went 7'1", also. That was the state meet record until 2002.
Had state record in high jump, I was there when heath Schuyler jump 7'2 to break Carl's 7'1 record

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT