ADVERTISEMENT

Things Become Clearer

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
I wrote this on another thread but thought it might deserve its own thread.

From the comments posted about not just last nights games but also last week, it think a lot is becoming clear.

1. SMC has a lot of parity but not necessarily great teams.
2. Swain is the unknown. How good are they? Mostly likely very good. Next Friday night is even bigger now.

3. Draughn is better than anticipated, maybe much better.
4. Eastern Randolph faces undefeated 2A Randleman next Friday. This game may determine if ER is just very very good or great.

5. North Rowan and Thomasville are sleepers. Not doubt they are good, sometimes really good. Can they play with the best. NR plays Salisbury next Friday and might answer some of that question.
6. Starmount has shown they are getting better each game and has found a way to score lots of points on weaker teams. Have they gotten good enough to play with the top 3 or 4 top 1A teams?

7. At least in my view, Mt Airy is still the clear top 1A team in the West until somebody proves otherwise. With two MIP (Most Important Players) out for at least the next 3 weeks, can THE BEARS adjust and keep on marching in step?
8. The RPI system is tremendously flawed if the intent is to identify the best teams and rank them in a reasonable order.

From the comments posted about not just last nights games but also last week, it think a lot is becoming clear.

2. Swain is the unknown. How good are they? Mostly likely very good. Next Friday night is even bigger now.

4. Eastern Randolph faces undefeated 2A Randleman next Friday. This game may determine if ER is just very very good or great.

5. North Rowan and Thomasville are sleepers. Not doubt they are good, sometimes really good. Can they play with the best. NR plays Salisbury next Friday and might answer some of that question.
6. Starmount has shown they are getting better each game and has found a way to score lots of points on weaker teams. Have they gotten good enough to play with the top 3 or 4 top 1A teams?

7. At least in my view, Mt Airy is still the clear top 1A team in the West until somebody proves otherwise. With two MIP (Most Important Players) out for at least the next 3 weeks, can THE BEARS adjust and keep on marching in step?
8. The RPI system is tremendously flawed if the intent is to identify the best teams and rank them in a reasonable order.
Are you for sure on the three weeks for the Mount Airy players?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight

I agree with 7/8 ths of this. I have to disagree about RPI but everything else seems very astute.

Yes, we all hope they recover quickly. But a great coaching staff (and Mt Airy has that) has been preparing for something like this for a couple of weeks. While we will and are missing Ian and Caleb, both are college level talents, Mt Airy's goal is still ahead of it.

And Da Bears have the depth to continue on the path full force and full speed, I have no doubt.

Just like in the college game. Conference Champions are not equal. Conference champs shouldn’t be an automatic qualification I believe. Given it is a great achievement. In theory I get it.

I would be okay just to seed based on RPI. It gives your team credit for scheduling a tougher game win or lose. And still looks at Total win/loss record.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and btango
"8. The RPI system is tremendously flawed if the intent is to identify the best teams and rank them in a reasonable order."

What is your proposal/solution?
Remove the one factor no team can control…..oowp. Recalibrate the percentages of the other rpi factors. Everybody talks about all the methods of calculating seeding, but nobody ever seems to consider that one change.

Reactions: ITJ and loveithere
Scheduling a tougher game schedule does not always help. East Surry, Mitchell, Mount Airy & Tarboro all had weaker schedules the last 7 years but all won the state championship or played and finished #1 or #2 in the state 1A. So play who you have to play and you still can win the SHIP. In my opinion, a weak schedule gives you 6 or 8 practice games to make changes and get the right people trained for the right positions. Most have always said Mount Airy was in a weak conference but they go deep almost every year.

Last edited:
I know Mt. Airy has a great team not debating that. What I’m saying, No one has control on how good the teams in your conference are. But if the non conference is as weak as your conference then you should not be rewarded for blowing through a bunch of weak teams.

We’ve got possible 8 and 9 seeds that are ranked 22-24 in RPI

Take away Rabun Gap there isn't a bit of difference in Mayberry and Robbinsville non conference schedule.

I feel Robbinsville is being rewarded and will be rewarded further for toting a thumping from Rabun Gap.
I give Robbinsville credit for scheduling Rabun Gap. That loss should very little negative consequences against them if any.

I’d take maxpreps ratings over RPI as an improvement. But the biggest thing that needs to change is raising the bar for getting a champions seed from the split conferences. A 5-5 record should not get you a champions seed and two home games when Starmount, Thomasville, WHC #2, and SMC #2 are all going to be on the road in round 2.

Best solution for that is stop putting 1 or 2 schools from same division in a confrence with schools from other divisons if there gonna do split confrences there needs to be at least three from each division in it so you have to win more than one game to be champ you got schools like polk that's never gonna play another 1a school until they reach the playoffs

I understand the split but I would say if a 2A team won the conference and a 1A team finished 2nd then give them a No. 1 seed but finishing in top 3 and/or 5-5 is not deserving in my opinion.
I get that and I would agree but you have confrences like the one shelby and Burns are in those small 1a schools have no business in that confrence burns and shelby will finish 1 2 every year the state has to do a better job with confrence alignment it seems every time they majorly screw up at least one confrence that one being probably the most broken confrence I have ever seen there no way somebody didn't look at that and say wait that's a terrible idea but somehow that's what got approved

I get that and I would agree but you have confrences like the one shelby and Burns are in those small 1a schools have no business in that confrence burns and shelby will finish 1 2 every year the state has to do a better job with confrence alignment it seems every time they majorly screw up at least one confrence that one being probably the most broken confrence I have ever seen there no way somebody didn't look at that and say wait that's a terrible idea but somehow that's what got approved
I hate that they even change the names of many of the Conference's all the time. Hard for a solid tradition to form.

That's got to be the worse mismatches I've seen in a conference.

Reactions: Bearmod1
The last projection I saw had a potential Draughn/Thomasville rematch from the third round last year, but in the second round in Connelly Springs this time. I was at the game last year and it could have gone either way except for a couple of plays, so I want to see that rematch if it all shakes out that way.

If a conference champion is from the smaller classification of a split conference I am ok with them getting a one seed if they are in the top half of the RPI for playoff teams. If the conference champion from the larger classification is not the overall champion I do not think they should get a number one seed but the seed they finished.

After the conference champion it should be strictly RPI.

Reactions: thekidd12
Why not just go by rpi only.
After ten games put every one together and go by rpi.
The better teams would be in better seeds.
Why should Bessemer bishop and Stokes get a high seed for conference champs that would finish bottom of other conferences?

My only guess would be giving meaning to a confrence title especially when u consider schools have no choice whose in their confrence you could schedule all the good teams u want to out of confrence but if your confrence is trash it's gonna bring your rpi down artificially anyways and if confrence titles mean nothing then do away with them all together and require every school to play so many games within there own division then rank by rpi doing it like this gives schools chance to schedule whomever they like as long as it's within the same division giving schools an equal opportunity at strength of schedule outside of this let's face it the smc teams are gonna have a stronger strength of schedule most years purely because of the consistently solid teams in there confrence.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Why not just go by rpi only.
After ten games put every one together and go by rpi.
The better teams would be in better seeds.
Why should Bessemer bishop and Stokes get a high seed for conference champs that would finish bottom of other conferences?
BK this is one of the differences between us. Champions, in my opinion, should always be seeded first. Wildcards are just that and should ALWAYS be below champions. I’m old enough to remember when conferences only were represented by champions in playoffs. Then they added wildcards, for more money I’m assuming. Truth is you don’t know for sure those other champions would finish at bottom of any conference. You think they would but you don’t KNOW.
Thought you hated RPI anyway? 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT