ADVERTISEMENT

Things Become Clearer

Why penalize the VERY GOOD Team in a otherwise parity conference? A lot say the Northwest Conference is weak. Would it be a "weak" conference if Mt Airy or Tarboro or Eastern Randolph were only winning games by 7 to 10 points?
Why punish a team that has a running clock in 9 out of 10 games? Most of those games by half time and played 2nd and 3rd team thereafter.
In college the team that stream rolls everyone is Ranked #1.

The biggest flaw is the OOWP. Now the truly superior team is being penalized not because of their scheduling but their opponents scheduling.

We might as well put the conference champions names in a hat and pull them out. Then put everybody else in a hat and just draw them out. At least it would be random.

Why penalize the VERY GOOD Team in a otherwise parity conference? A lot say the Northwest Conference is weak. Would it be a "weak" conference if Mt Airy or Tarboro or Eastern Randolph were only winning games by 7 to 10 points?
Why punish a team that has a running clock in 9 out of 10 games? Most of those games by half time and played 2nd and 3rd team thereafter.

The biggest flaw is the OOWP. Now the truly superior team is being penalized not because of their scheduling but their opponents scheduling.

We might as well put the conference champions names in a hat and pull them out. Then put everybody else in a hat and just draw them out. At least it would be random.
For that flaw I can see changes in the way they do this in the next realignment and maybe go back to MaxPreps or who knows what the state will do when they take over. We may not recognize high school as it has been for many, many years now. Could it get better or worse ? Only time will tell ! It will be interesting when it starts.

• Wow
Reactions: buzzcoach

Don’t know how ER would do in your conference. Really no idea.
In the 2A PAC7 conference so far ER has won 48-0, 47-0 and 43-0. Two of those teams should make 2A playoffs. Don’t see that 0 happening this Friday though.
I understand you are upset with RPI but Mt Airy will probably prove their worth on the field no matter where game is played.

In the 2A PAC7 conference so far ER has won 48-0, 47-0 and 43-0. Two of those teams should make 2A playoffs. Don’t see that 0 happening this Friday though.
I understand you are upset with RPI but Mt Airy will probably prove their worth on the field no matter where game is played.
I really appreciate your thoughts and feelings. Know that I am not really upset, I enjoy the drive and visiting other communities, but I do get a little bent out of shape when people say that the current RPI system is so good. It is alright, not great. I simply wanted to demostrate how it is flawed.

MA and ER and Tarboro will win or lose on the field and I am ok with that. But home field advantage is a benefit, then it should be declared as fairly as possible.

And ER would do great in our conference. A three way race some years, two way race others.

I think you are right. No matter where Mt Airy plays this year doesn’t matter. I don’t think anyone can compete with them. In my opinion

Absolutely and I believe anyone in Top 8 would go in believing and that’s the way it should be. One would have to assume that a lot of things would have to go wrong for Mr Airy to lose this year
I totally agree with you…

Edit: and your phone like mine changed it to Mr Airy for some reason 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I think if Mount Airy loses in the west it will be because they were not thinking and listening to the coaches and beat their selves like 2021 but the coaches helped lose to Mitchell that year. They just had not gotten to know the coach well enough nor did he know what he had yet. But they are like father and sons now. I am waiting for this from a child 🤣 lol

I wrote this on another thread but thought it might deserve its own thread.

From the comments posted about not just last nights games but also last week, it think a lot is becoming clear.

1. SMC has a lot of parity but not necessarily great teams.
2. Swain is the unknown. How good are they? Mostly likely very good. Next Friday night is even bigger now.

3. Draughn is better than anticipated, maybe much better.
4. Eastern Randolph faces undefeated 2A Randleman next Friday. This game may determine if ER is just very very good or great.

5. North Rowan and Thomasville are sleepers. Not doubt they are good, sometimes really good. Can they play with the best. NR plays Salisbury next Friday and might answer some of that question.
6. Starmount has shown they are getting better each game and has found a way to score lots of points on weaker teams. Have they gotten good enough to play with the top 3 or 4 top 1A teams?

7. At least in my view, Mt Airy is still the clear top 1A team in the West until somebody proves otherwise. With two MIP (Most Important Players) out for at least the next 3 weeks, can THE BEARS adjust and keep on marching in step?
8. The RPI system is tremendously flawed if the intent is to identify the best teams and rank them in a reasonable order
I've got time. I'll address these points....

1) SMC might not have any "great" teams, but they have TOUGH teams.

2) I think Swain's pretty good. We'll know a little bit more after Friday night.

3) Agree. Not sure if they're much better.....but agree.

4) Agree. Should be interesting.

5)I think both NR and T'ville can play with the best. Not sure if they'll win. I worry about depth with NR and the offensive side of the ball with the Bulldogs.

6) I think the jury is still out on Starmount. If they get to the third round, I think that second question will be answered.

7) The Bears will adjust and won't miss a beat. Now, if those guys are still out come round four, it could be interesting.

8) I don't know. I just don't know.

I've got time. I'll address these points....

1) SMC might not have any "great" teams, but they have TOUGH teams.

2) I think Swain's pretty good. We'll know a little bit more after Friday night.

3) Agree. Not sure if they're much better.....but agree.

4) Agree. Should be interesting.

5)I think both NR and T'ville can play with the best. Not sure if they'll win. I worry about depth with NR and the offensive side of the ball with the Bulldogs.

6) I think the jury is still out on Starmount. If they get to the third round, I think that second question will be answered.

7) The Bears will adjust and won't miss a beat. Now, if those guys are still out come round four, it could be interesting.

8) I don't know. I just don't know.
I have an absolutely gut wrenching need to see Starmount vs Hayesville

This would not be the year to play them. They have a very good team and much improved line which has usually been the issue. They have always had plenty of athletes and the coaching staff is excellent. Like any other team this time of year they are banged up. Just my opinion
Friday night should be a very good football game.

I wrote this on another thread but thought it might deserve its own thread.

From the comments posted about not just last nights games but also last week, it think a lot is becoming clear.

1. SMC has a lot of parity but not necessarily great teams.
2. Swain is the unknown. How good are they? Mostly likely very good. Next Friday night is even bigger now.

3. Draughn is better than anticipated, maybe much better.
4. Eastern Randolph faces undefeated 2A Randleman next Friday. This game may determine if ER is just very very good or great.

5. North Rowan and Thomasville are sleepers. Not doubt they are good, sometimes really good. Can they play with the best. NR plays Salisbury next Friday and might answer some of that question.
6. Starmount has shown they are getting better each game and has found a way to score lots of points on weaker teams. Have they gotten good enough to play with the top 3 or 4 top 1A teams?

7. At least in my view, Mt Airy is still the clear top 1A team in the West until somebody proves otherwise. With two MIP (Most Important Players) out for at least the next 3 weeks, can THE BEARS adjust and keep on marching in step?
8. The RPI system is tremendously flawed if the intent is to identify the best teams and rank them in a reasonable order.
Well that Draughn thought didn’t age well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT