ADVERTISEMENT

Top players in 1A history

TarVikes

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2017
I know Tarboro has had Kelvin Bryant, Donald Franks, Shaun Draughn, Todd Gurley, and Tyquan Lewis all go play in the NFL - but they all played when Tarboro was 3A/2A.

Who are some of the top 1A players to make it to a big college or NFL thru the years?

Carl Pickens - Murphy

Parade All American and Gatorade National Player of Year at Murphy, freshman All American at Univ of Tennessee at safety and then later All SEC and All American honors at WR, NFL Rookie of the Year and All Pro WR with the Cincinnati Bengals.

His high school to NFL resume is unsurpassed as far as 1A players go and one of the finest resumes of any player from any class in the state of North Carolina. Also a big time basketball player and track athlete (elite high jumper), could've went D1 in both of those sports too. Still ranks very high in top high jump 1A-4A in North Carolina, held the state record when he graduated I believe.

Murphy has had several other power 5 D1 football players in their history, John Snow got drafted by the New Orleans Saints, but it pales in comparison to Pickens.

Last edited:
I know Tarboro has had Kelvin Bryant, Donald Franks, Shaun Draughn, Todd Gurley, and Tyquan Lewis all go play in the NFL - but they all played when Tarboro was 3A/2A.

Who are some of the top 1A players to make it to a big college or NFL thru the years?
Did not know Shaun Draughn was a product of Tarboro. Wow. I guess a down year for you guys is to not have anyone being considered for the Heisman or a 1st round draft pick. All a joke. Nothing but respect for Tarboro and their program. I've worked in that area several times and very nice hard working people. great program , great people and good luck Friday night.

Reactions: TarVikes
Landon Walker - East Wilkes

Clemson University then drafted by the Bengals. Not sure what happened but he is now part of the pit crew for Hendrick Motorsports.

Reactions: BigRedFan27
Was Hendersonville 1A when the Gash brothers were playing ? They were fun to watch and even better people off the field ( that's what i've been told ) .
Hendersonville was 1A when the Gash brothers were Bearcats. Eric is an elementary school principal and a minister in Hendersonville. He is running for Congress in the 14th district. Sam has been an NFL assistant with several teams but not sure if he is currently

Landon Walker - East Wilkes

Clemson University then drafted by the Bengals. Not sure what happened but he is now part of the pit crew for Hendrick Motorsports.

Walker was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Bengals. Never made if off the practice squad if I remember correctly.

Michael Calloway gets lost in the fold for some reason. He played at East in the 80s. Went on to play at App, playing OL and blocking for the great John Settle. He had a short stint with the Seattle Seahawks.

Luke Samples was another that had a great career at Catawba as a QB.

Reactions: UNC91
Walker was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Bengals. Never made if off the practice squad if I remember correctly.

Michael Calloway gets lost in the fold for some reason. He played at East in the 80s. Went on to play at App, playing OL and blocking for the great John Settle. He had a short stint with the Seattle Seahawks.

Luke Samples was another that had a great career at Catawba as a QB.
Yeah Calloway was before my time lol. I do remember Samples however I didn't mention him being he never made it to the NFL, what a stud though. But thanks for refreshing my memory and following up with the story behind Walker. Thanks!

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Bit of Triva,
Can anyone name a 1a player with 3 (I think), Super Bowl rings?

Carl Pickens - Murphy

Parade All American and Gatorade National Player of Year at Murphy, freshman All American at Univ of Tennessee at safety and then later All SEC and All American honors at WR, NFL Rookie of the Year and All Pro WR with the Cincinnati Bengals.

His high school to NFL resume is unsurpassed as far as 1A players go and one of the finest resumes of any player from any class in the state of North Carolina. Also a big time basketball player and track athlete (elite high jumper), could've went D1 in both of those sports too. Still ranks very high in top high jump 1A-4A in North Carolina, held the state record when he graduated I believe.

Murphy has had several other power 5 D1 football players in their history, John Snow got drafted by the New Orleans Saints, but it pales in comparison to Pickens.
My brothers and I went to Murphy/Swain playoff game I believe in 1987 which I guess was his JR year ( it was a very cold night) but we were standing a the fence and he caught a pass in front us and we were like this kid will be going far.

OK, one more

Can you name a 1a player who made All Conference at Carolina as a walk-on?

Using Google is cheating...

EJ Abrams Ward from Thomasville. Won three state championships in football at four different positions…fullback, linebacker, wide receiver and quarterback. He also punted. Team went 56-4 in his four years. Also won two state championships in basketball. His best sport was probably baseball.
NCHSAA Male Athlete of the Year for all classifications. Number one football recruit in the state in football with dozens of D1 offers. Chose Tennessee over UNC. Got caught up in the coaching change fiasco and was booted from the team. First of a long string of bad decisions. Sad, sad story for a man who could have had a tremendously bright future.
EJ was hands down the best high school athlete I ever saw in person.

EJ Abrams Ward from Thomasville. Won three state championships in football at four different positions…fullback, linebacker, wide receiver and quarterback. He also punted. Team went 56-4 in his four years. Also won two state championships in basketball. His best sport was probably baseball.
NCHSAA Male Athlete of the Year for all classifications. Number one football recruit in the state in football with dozens of D1 offers. Chose Tennessee over UNC. Got caught up in the coaching change fiasco and was booted from the team. First of a long string of bad decisions. Sad, sad story for a man who could have had a tremendously bright future.
EJ was hands down the best high school athlete I ever saw in person.
Really good player, those Thomasville teams were loaded, Quan Warley was a special player too. The '05 Thomasville team that Murphy played is probably the most talented 1A team Murphy has ever went up against and in the conversation of all time greatest 1A teams in general along with the '86 and '87 Murphy squads, '01 and '02 Albemarle squads and '06 Thomasville team, etc.

Reactions: Swain97 and Mhsneer
Best ever 1A player has to either be Pickens or McClendon. But to answer the part of the question asking generally for names that went on to big time ball from 1A ball, Here’s a few I can think of that I haven’t seen mentioned

Kentwan Balmer from Weldon played at UNC and was a 1st round pick in 08.

Jamison Crowder from the Jets (and Duke) played at Monroe during their brief dip into 1A.

Donovan Greene from Mount Airy was hurt this year but has been great at Wake.

Denico Autry from the Titans has had a good long career in the NFL out of Albemarle (and Mississippi State).

Georgia had a pretty good wide receiver out of Cherryville 10-15 years ago. Kenneth Harris.

Wallace-Rose Hill was 1A until Javonte Williams’ senior year. He was on several 1AA title teams. Was great at UNC and is having a good rookie year for the Broncos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swain97
Got to throw this out there... Please correct me if the dates are a little off. The 1980 or 81 Robbinsville team went 13-0 and along the way beat Sylva Webster 12-7 , Sylva finished the year 12-1 and won the 2A title. They were coached by Babe Howell and the Streeter brothers were on the team. Robbinsville was the 1A - 2A champs so to speak. Scott Odom, older brother to Todd Odom ( wrestling coach ) hung a orange sign in the outfield during baseball season for the Sylva Webster team to look at that said " Welcome to RHS home of the 1A-2A state football Champions" needless to say Sylva didn't like it much. This was before mercy rules, running clocks, so on. We had to take our medicine . Final score Sylva 34 - Robbinsville 3 , in baseball. Scott Odom is on my all-time list of Robbinsville greats. He went on to start at Western as a freshman beating out all American Eddy McGill who went on to the NFL. IMO Scott could have played in the NFL if he had wanted to. A tight end 6'4 about 250 lbs with huge hands and around 4.5 or 4.6 in the 40. The real deal. Sorry to blow-up your thread.

Nate Irving out of WRH played at NC State and was All American in 2006. Drafted by Denver and played for 4/5 years there and finished up with the Colts for a year. Watched TA McClendon his freshman year at State and thought---WOW----I know the knock on playing 1A ball but as has been noted by all the post above I think our "small" schools can hold their chest out!

Reactions: mbdfan and ITJ

Don't forget Takoby Cofield. Four year starter for Duke at tackle. He played during the 2A title run. Wound up at the Redskins.

No it was Mike Chatham. The reason he was a walk on was his family could afford to pay and didn’t need the scholairship.
Wait a bell just went off in my head, Chatham, was he part of the Chatham textile family since he didn’t need a scholarship?

Carl Pickens - Murphy

Heath Schuyler could jump higher,
Willie Brown rb for Murphy
Yes oh Willie,. Can't forget Tony Colbert,. Or jimmy streeter, the silver streak, but he may of been 2a

Hendersonville was 1A when the Gash brothers were Bearcats. Eric is an elementary school principal and a minister in Hendersonville. He is running for Congress in the 14th district. Sam has been an NFL assistant with several teams but not sure if he is currently
Do you happen to know if Gash is running as a Republican or Democrat? Just curious to know is all....

Got to throw this out there... Please correct me if the dates are a little off. The 1980 or 81 Robbinsville team went 13-0 and along the way beat Sylva Webster 12-7 , Sylva finished the year 12-1 and won the 2A title. They were coached by Babe Howell and the Streeter brothers were on the team. Robbinsville was the 1A - 2A champs so to speak. Scott Odom, older brother to Todd Odom ( wrestling coach ) hung a orange sign in the outfield during baseball season for the Sylva Webster team to look at that said " Welcome to RHS home of the 1A-2A state football Champions" needless to say Sylva didn't like it much. This was before mercy rules, running clocks, so on. We had to take our medicine . Final score Sylva 34 - Robbinsville 3 , in baseball. Scott Odom is on my all-time list of Robbinsville greats. He went on to start at Western as a freshman beating out all American Eddy McGill who went on to the NFL. IMO Scott could have played in the NFL if he had wanted to. A tight end 6'4 about 250 lbs with huge hands and around 4.5 or 4.6 in the 40. The real deal. Sorry to blow-up your thread.
We can't forget about rod Cooper from Cherokee, he would knock ya head, heck of a runner, I just wanted to mention him in memory of rod Cooper, he was a great player

Reactions: Swain97
Heath Schuyler could jump higher
Heath participated in track too, if he was a better high jumper than Carl there would proof of it, there isn't because he wasn't. Carl's high school personal best in the high jump was 7'1, Heath's was 6'9.

Last edited:
Reactions: btango and Swain97
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT