ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville loses HC Robertson to page HS

I would have loved to see Thomasville bring back Benji and Allen Brown. I don't understand how or why the school administration would not be able to make this happen. Those two gentlemen are and always will be the heart and soul of Thomasville football.
Most of us would like to see it. There are a lot of things to blame the school system for, but this isn’t one of them. Out of their control this time.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Most of us would like to see it. There are a lot of things to blame the school system for, but this isn’t one of them. Out of their control this time.

I understand. I assumed it was part of the school administration's job but wasn't sure. Thank you for correcting me. It would still be nice to see Benji and Allen on the sideline again :).

I understand. I assumed it was part of the school administration's job but wasn't sure. Thank you for correcting me. It would still be nice to see Benji and Allen on the sideline again :).
There would have to be multiple things happen and some of it is beyond the school’s control. And that’s assuming he would be interested.

Its a massive failure to not be able to bring them back. Im afraid we will land a good coach who will just move on like Robertson. We really need a Thomasville guy. There are some good options out there with Thomasville roots that could provide the stability and community awareness that is needed.

Obviously, you want to hire the best candidate but there is also a fit issue with this job. The first coach was not a good fit with Eastern NC roots and a more offensive minded coach. The second hire was a disaster of epic proportions. Robertson seemed like a great hire but then you see how many schools he has been at and thats a red flag. He was one hell of a coach but we cant keep trading out coaches.

Last edited:
Special called meeting of the Thomasville City Schools Board of Education on Wednesday morning, February 19th. Only item of business is a closed session for consideration of personnel recommendations. Understand there are several personnel decisions to approve.

The Browns were Thomasville natives and lived and breathed Bulldogs and this town. This job is only a stepping stone depending on who you hire. I thought Robertson would want to see this mission through but he has jumped around at jobs which stood out to me immediately. Need to get this one right for the long haul. We are at least a stable program now.

Talk to your ADMIN, it is a reason Robertson is leaving. He wasn't job hunting. You can't promise certain things and all of sudden start making changes. He was there to see it through believe me. And Your ADMIN is also running off potential candidates. Do you want a program or you trying to find a teacher? Benji makes too much where he is at, not about his wife. Thomasville can't afford that.

Reactions: btango
Talk to your ADMIN, it is a reason Robertson is leaving. He wasn't job hunting. You can't promise certain things and all of sudden start making changes. He was there to see it through believe me. And Your ADMIN is also running off potential candidates. Do you want a program or you trying to find a teacher? Benji makes too much where he is at, not about his wife. Thomasville can't afford that.
It is true that things changed after Coach Robertson came to Thomasville. Different school board, different superintendent, different principal. And yes, some priorities and commitments changed. It’s unfortunate, but it’s reality.

As far as Benjie, I would love to see him back in Thomasville. But I also recognize that he’s unlikely to coach more than a couple more years. And, as much as I’d like to see him here, we need stability. I won’t get into details, but money isn’t a reason for Benjie not to come home. That part is doable. But ultimately, he’s not coming. I do believe we’ll end up with a really good football coach....soon. Then, it’s time to support him and make continuing to build a program a community priority.

It is true that things changed after Coach Robertson came to Thomasville. Different school board, different superintendent, different principal. And yes, some priorities and commitments changed. It’s unfortunate, but it’s reality.

As far as Benjie, I would love to see him back in Thomasville. But I also recognize that he’s unlikely to coach more than a couple more years. And, as much as I’d like to see him here, we need stability. I won’t get into details, but money isn’t a reason for Benjie not to come home. That part is doable. But ultimately, he’s not coming. I do believe we’ll end up with a really good football coach....soon. Then, it’s time to support him and make continuing to build a program a community priority.

Thanks for your input. I was speaking with someone close to the Browns over the weekend, and he told me the same. Money was not the issue. I too think we will end up with a really good coach but I hope we get the stability we need to truly build us back. Hate to hear Robertson was not getting what he was originally promised. No matter who the folks are in charge, they need to realize how important this program is and need to do everything they can to hire the "right" guy and get this thing back with 100 percent support. Too bad it cant be Benji because there is no better hire that we could make.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Asheboro had it's worst three year stretch ever with him, and he was not consistently good at Page had a 4 win season deep into his tenure. Years he won big there hard to mess up the talent that was there.

Previous coach did just fine, but maybe benjie doesn't look like a elite coach without the elite talent he had at thomasville playing 1A teams

Mike Dubas, Gary Whitman, Bennie Brown, Kevin Gillespie and probably more have been run out of town in Asheboro. All great proven and most with multiple championships. Sounds like someone has sour grapes for some reason. This is a great hire. Congratulations to the Bulldogs.

Wow, what a list. Asheboro is a strange place for sure. I think Gillespie is a great hire. Before he took the Page job, he turned around a horrible Trinity program. I wish him the best of luck.

Let’s see....
Coached on the staff of a state championship at Thomasville in 1991. Check.
Took Trinity to four straight playoff berths and the only playoff win the school ever had. Check.
Coached Page to three state championship games, with a 4A state championship. Check.
Took Page to six conference championships in ten years. Check.
Named conference coach of the year six times at Page. Check.
Has numerous coaching and family ties to the Thomasville program and overwhelming support from many community leaders. Check.

Looks to me like Coach Gillespie can coach and is a great hire. I won’t even dignify the question of whether Benjie Brown is a good coach by responding.

Let’s see....
Took Trinity to four straight playoff berths and the only playoff win the school ever had. Check.
Coached Page to three state championship games, with a 4A state championship. Check.
Has numerous coaching and family ties to the Thomasville program and overwhelming support from many community leaders. Check.

Looks to me like Coach Gillespie can coach and is a great hire. I won’t even dignify the question of whether Benjie Brown is a good coach by responding.

Out of all those accomplishments, honestly the one that sticks out to me the most is taking Trinity to four straight playoff berths. It isn’t easy to win over there.

I think that this is a good hire.

Let’s see....

THIS

Out of all those accomplishments, honestly the one that sticks out to me the most is taking Trinity to four straight playoff berths. It isn’t easy to win over there.

I think that this is a good hire.

You can win at Trinity. Wheatmore has proven that area is not as bad as it usually shows. When a terrible program gets split it usually creates two terrible programs, not a terrible one and an average to good one.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
You can win at Trinity. Wheatmore has proven that area is not as bad as it usually shows. When a terrible program gets split it usually creates two terrible programs, not a terrible one and an average to good one.

Oh, absolutely you can win there. Just no one currently is. I wouldn’t have bet you a plug nickel when Trinity split, that Wheatmore could have a successful football program. In 2014, Wheatmore had about 40 players. That’s TEN per grade in a school with an enrollment of 750+ kids.

But they have a young, energetic and effective coach. The players like him and they are off to the races! I’m glad for them. I was at a game at Trinity last year and the atmosphere was absolutely terrible. Not an exciting place to play football at this time. It could change...

Let’s see....

4AA State Championship not 4A

Last edited:
Great hire, veteran winning coach that knows how to win championships and has contacts to build a veteran staff and continue winning. Biggest task is getting more kids out of the hallways to compete with the larger schools more consistently. Excited to see what happens with the Dogs.

He’s not gonna stick around,that’s just my feeling about it,3 years tops then he’ll leave for a bigger school,just waiting for the opportunity

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
He’s not gonna stick around,that’s just my feeling about it,3 years tops then he’ll leave for a bigger school,just waiting for the opportunity
It’s certainly possible. But, other than Benjie, he has more ties to our community than most any coach who would apply. He’s maintained those ties throughout his career, including where he lives.
Coach Gillespie had a 4AA job at Page and left it, partly because he wanted to be part of a community. There’s a dynamic in city school systems that you can’t find in larger systems. And there are only a dozen or so of those left. I really believe he’ll finish his career as a Bulldog.

Reactions: ITJ
It’s certainly possible. But, other than Benjie, he has more ties to our community than most any coach who would apply. He’s maintained those ties throughout his career, including where he lives.
Coach Gillespie had a 4AA job at Page and left it, partly because he wanted to be part of a community. There’s a dynamic in city school systems that you can’t find in larger systems. And there are only a dozen or so of those left. I really believe he’ll finish his career as a Bulldog.

I completely agree. Besides Benji, we probably could not have made a better hire. He has not only won at the highest level but he also has lots of long standing ties to this program. I think we picked wisely. Hoping it works out!

Shocked. Was underwhelming to say the least at Asheboro which had a lot of talent especially this past season

Let’s see....

I was hoping we would possibly get Kienus Boulware but this looks like a great hire. Interesting to see he coached on the 91 team.

I was hoping we would possibly get Kienus Boulware but this looks like a great hire. Interesting to see he coached on the 91 team.
Coach Boulware is a great coach. The pay may have been problematic and the baggage from his dismissal at WSSU may follow him for a while.

Reactions: ITJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT