ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville loses HC Robertson to page HS

Just don’t see him leaving Montgomery Central. Remember he kept his pay when he transitioned to HC/AD. But if he did, MC would definitely be a job that would attract a top HC. Maybe even bring back someone....

Just don’t see him leaving Montgomery Central. Remember he kept his pay when he transitioned to HC/AD. But if he did, MC would definitely be a job that would attract a top HC. Maybe even bring back someone....
I hope Benjie Brown becomes my coach after hearing all the great things him and his father have done for our football program.

Probably won't be the last one. Gotta get the next hire right if we don't want to go significantly backwards.

Football is not the most important thing at Thomasville High School. But it sets the tone. Keeping kids in school and engaged in academics. Maintaining discipline on and off the field. Helping to pay for other sports. Keeping the momentum in community support. Offsetting all the negative publicity.

The search committee needs to look past just the dollars. It's an investment in the school and in the community. Some shortsighted personnel decisions this past summer got us to this point. Learn from the mistake and conduct a wide search. This can still be a top job in NC. Screw it up again like a few years ago, and it may doom us to mediocrity for a long time.
Just don't make the mistakes Lexington made. 3 really qualified candidates and chose a coach on the downside of his career.instead.

Reactions: Steelers71
Just don't make the mistakes Lexington made. 3 really qualified candidates and chose a coach on the downside of his career.instead.
I'm gonna trust that the folks in charge will make the right decision. Obviously, it would be great to hire someone who would stay for ten or twenty years. But that's very difficult these days.
My ideal scenario would be to hire a veteran coach and for them to develop a talented assistant as a succession plan. Worked pretty well for Cushwa and for Allen Brown and it can work again.

Reactions: THSochocinco
Oh my... Can you imagine the roar that would come out of Troy, NC and the surrounding Montgomery County communities. They’ve already printed state championship banners to hang up for upcoming years. (sarcasm)
Oh I’m sure.lol It’s only natural Benjie’s name would come up. I posed the question here on the board but certainly other people were already thinking about it. I called Benjie in conjunction with doing my story. I didn’t hear back from him. I’m sure he knew why I was calling.

Two other coaches I spoke to said they weren’t applying. Since TCS pays more money (12 month contract) they’ll get plenty of interest. I have to think if Benjie wants it, it’s his. But that’s just speculation.

Sorry for Tville but happy for Coach and his family. Hope you guys hire a good one, maybe go for Tripp Huneycutt at North. He is young but a great coach with lots of potential. His father is the greatest coach in Davidson County rec ball history and it's not even close...
Tripp will be an excellent coach when given the opportunity, another North grad Anthony Timmons has done a good job at Knightdale.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Oh I’m sure.lol It’s only natural Benjie’s name would come up. I posed the question here on the board but certainly other people were already thinking about it. I called Benjie in conjunction with doing my story. I didn’t hear back from him. I’m sure he knew why I was calling.

Two other coaches I spoke to said they weren’t applying. Since TCS pays more money (12 month contract) they’ll get plenty of interest. I have to think if Benjie wants it, it’s his. But that’s just speculation.
If you don’t mind me asking but who were the two coaches you asked?

Don’t know anything about Coach Tripp, so nothing against him at all. But Thomasville is not an entry level job. At least, not yet.

what do you think we should look for in a new head coach?
Obviously, a track record of winning as a head coach. But, just as, or more important, integrity, discipline, ability to relate to players, not as a friend but coach and father figure. Someone who can administer some tough love and hold players accountable. Who can maximize the number of players and revive that feeling of wanting to play for a winner. Who can emphasize academic integrity as well as personal integrity.
Someone who can, like Coach Robertson, get effort, hustle and teamwork out of the players. Someone who will go into the community and speak to boosters, civic clubs, churches, to continue the revitalization of community support....both financial and as a fan base.
Not every head coach can do those things. But there are several. The Thomasville community has come to expect it, and deserve to have a coach who embodies those traits. I’m confident that the AD, principal and superintendent will make it happen.

Obviously, a track record of winning as a head coach. But, just as, or more important, integrity, discipline, ability to relate to players, not as a friend but coach and father figure. Someone who can administer some tough love and hold players accountable. Who can maximize the number of players and revive that feeling of wanting to play for a winner. Who can emphasize academic integrity as well as personal integrity.
Someone who can, like Coach Robertson, get effort, hustle and teamwork out of the players. Someone who will go into the community and speak to boosters, civic clubs, churches, to continue the revitalization of community support....both financial and as a fan base.
Not every head coach can do those things. But there are several. The Thomasville community has come to expect it, and deserve to have a coach who embodies those traits. I’m confident that the AD, principal and superintendent will make it happen.
it seems like you have a lot of knowledge on tville football, why are you not on the search committee?

Reactions: ITJ
it seems like you have a lot of knowledge on tville football, why are you not on the search committee?
Not my place, but thanks for the compliment. I’m not really sure if there is a search committee, or if there should be. The primary decision makers should be the AD, principal and superintendent....in that order. Obviously, the board of education has to approve the selection. I think those folks know that I’ll help in any way they need me. I was offered that opportunity last time and turned it down, because I wasn’t sure the AD was being supported in the selection process. Turned out fine, though.

Reactions: PrepFanNC and ITJ
Just make the full court press on Benjie. There isn't even a close runner up. He would stay and build something. As good as Robertson was, he left before he even started.

Lots of kids to choose from at Montgomery Central with brand new facilities. Even with Robertson winning, the football numbers were still in the 40’-50’s. With an ADM of about 650 in the school the new HC needs to ask the question of where admin and central office plan to put THS next realignment. Opportunity to win conference titles and state playoff games would greatly increase with a drop to 1A or a change to a smaller 2A league with like size schools. THS is getting a new multipurpose building that is going to be big for all sports, football and soccer would have a place to go indoors in the fall on bad weather days.

Lots of kids to choose from at Montgomery Central with brand new facilities. Even with Robertson winning, the football numbers were still in the 40’-50’s. With an ADM of about 650 in the school the new HC needs to ask the question of where admin and central office plan to put THS next realignment. Opportunity to win conference titles and state playoff games would greatly increase with a drop to 1A or a change to a smaller 2A league with like size schools. THS is getting a new multipurpose building that is going to be big for all sports, football and soccer would have a place to go indoors in the fall on bad weather days.

I doubt any of that enters Benjie's mind as a deciding factor. He either wants to continue a Brown Thomasville legacy or he doesnt.

Reactions: ITJ and Wow71
I doubt any of that enters Benjie's mind as a deciding factor. He either wants to continue a Brown Thomasville legacy or he doesnt.

Agree and I hope he comes back. Still don’t think anyone would go into the situation without knowing about roster, scheduling, assistants, possible teaching jobs coming open and admin support plans. We all know Thomasville can find the money to pay him with a few of the community members getting involved. Question is will he come back as you stated?

This is what Page needed, so glad we are able to call Coach Robertson the ball coach at Page! We let him slip away 3 years ago

I don’t think anybody can predict where Thomasville will go next realignment. It hasn’t even been determined how many classifications there will be. Going to 1A would make the Bulldogs more competitive in most sports, but would likely hurt the financial bottom line. Travel distance would certainly increase, probably dramatically. Catch 22.
I’d love to see Benjie return, but I believe the chances are extremely small. Too many moving parts.

Reactions: Wow71
I think Thomasville would have a chance of winning a conference championship every year if we were in the Yadkin Valley 1A conference.

As long as you beat North Rowan. But the travel is rough, especially in the other sports on a school night.

Would rather have to try and beat NR and Albemarle for a title in sports than schools 300-400 kids bigger. We will see what happens, but realignment is going to be a huge part of how the Dogs do going forward.

Would rather have to try and beat NR and Albemarle for a title in sports than schools 300-400 kids bigger. We will see what happens, but realignment is going to be a huge part of how the Dogs do going forward.
I don’t disagree in terms of wins and losses. But we may win the battle and lose the war. Hard to fund an athletic department on matches against Chatham Central and South Davidson.

Why would it be such a long shot for Benjie to return? Its his opportunity. If you really want it, you take it and make the rest of it work. Hate to hear that it is a long shot.

Why would it be such a long shot for Benjie to return? Its his opportunity. If you really want it, you take it and make the rest of it work. Hate to hear that it is a long shot.
Anything I say is purely speculation. As I said before, I haven’t talked to Benjie, and don’t know if he is even considering it. But, I also respect that he is tremendously devoted to his family. And providing for them is certainly a priority.
He has an excellent compensation package where he is.....commensurate with his responsibility. As does his wife. To expect them to give that up is unfair, and frankly selfish on our part. As someone who has great respect for the Brown family, I hope he does what is best for them. I’d love to see it work out for the Bulldog family and the Brown family. We’ll see.

I just can’t imagine Thomasville matching his compensation that he receives from MC. Remember he kept his pay as Principal. This County has takin well care of him. New facility, bright future, and cement a legacy at a brand new school before retirement, I don’t see him leaving that behind. Don’t let last couple years of Montgomery County football fool u, it will get back on its feet.

I just can’t imagine Thomasville matching his compensation that he receives from MC. Remember he kept his pay as Principal. This County has takin well care of him. New facility, bright future, and cement a legacy at a brand new school before retirement, I don’t see him leaving that behind. Don’t let last couple years of Montgomery County football fool u, it will get back on its feet.
You make good points, and I tend to agree with you. But the Jayhawks thought they were safe the first time Roy turned UNC down.

Roy may be calling Kansas when unc fires him lol. Yeah but I don’t see Benjie leaving, just don’t. But it’s wishful thinking I don’t blame the folks in Thomasville.

Frankly, I never thought he’d return to coaching. Nor did I think his dad would. So what do I know?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT