ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville loses HC Robertson to page HS

We also lost offensive coordinator coach bagamary
Probably won't be the last one. Gotta get the next hire right if we don't want to go significantly backwards.

Football is not the most important thing at Thomasville High School. But it sets the tone. Keeping kids in school and engaged in academics. Maintaining discipline on and off the field. Helping to pay for other sports. Keeping the momentum in community support. Offsetting all the negative publicity.

The search committee needs to look past just the dollars. It's an investment in the school and in the community. Some shortsighted personnel decisions this past summer got us to this point. Learn from the mistake and conduct a wide search. This can still be a top job in NC. Screw it up again like a few years ago, and it may doom us to mediocrity for a long time.

I wonder what the possibility would be of Thomasville hiring a former assistant or a former player? Do you think Thomasville would be inclined to give Kienus Boulware an interview? I think it would be great to see Boulware on the sidelines at Cushwa Stadium. Any thoughts.

I wonder what the possibility would be of Thomasville hiring a former assistant or a former player? Do you think Thomasville would be inclined to give Kienus Boulware an interview? I think it would be great to see Boulware on the sidelines at Cushwa Stadium. Any thoughts.
It would be a pretty big step backward for Coach Boulware, but I would hope he would be interviewed if he applied. I believe that success as a head coach is an absolute must. I wouldn’t consider applicants without it. But then, I don’t get a vote.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Sorry for Tville but happy for Coach and his family. Hope you guys hire a good one, maybe go for Tripp Huneycutt at North. He is young but a great coach with lots of potential. His father is the greatest coach in Davidson County rec ball history and it's not even close...

Reactions: Murpheel54
Boulware would remain in the state system where he has over ten years of employment. That’s a positive. Going from college head Coach is humbling but not sure what he has available due to the WSSU situation.

Curious if there was a final outcome / settlement of his appeal with WSSU??

Know what you are going through because at Albemarle we probably hold the record with 6 head coaches in 6 years.We finally have some stability in the program with our head coach finishing up his third year this past season. Good luck with the right hire.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Sorry for Tville but happy for Coach and his family. Hope you guys hire a good one, maybe go for Tripp Huneycutt at North. He is young but a great coach with lots of potential. His father is the greatest coach in Davidson County rec ball history and it's not even close...
I really hope we don't hire anyone without proven head coaching experience. Thomasville has been on it's way back with Coach Robertson, and it's still too good a job to be a training ground for an assistant. I believe we have one chance to get this right.
Coach Gillespie would be a good fit, but we may not be able to afford him. I find it ironic that Coach Robertson cited that sense of community as one reason that he is going to Page. Reportedly, a lack of community is one reason Coach Gillespie left Page. In the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

Gillespie is from Asheboro right? Or do I have that mistaken?
Was recently at Asheboro, but won a state championship at Page.
I believe he still lives in Archdale and has several Thomasville connections. His wife is a Thomasville grad and, in the past, has been a supporter of Bulldog athletics.

Congrats to Robertson and whomever goes with him to Page on the promotion to 4A ball. The program is not struggling right now to win and has many key players returning. Biggest issues facing the new coach will be football numbers and staffing. The Principal and AD have their work to do.

Probably won't be the last one. Gotta get the next hire right if we don't want to go significantly backwards.

Football is not the most important thing at Thomasville High School. But it sets the tone. Keeping kids in school and engaged in academics. Maintaining discipline on and off the field. Helping to pay for other sports. Keeping the momentum in community support. Offsetting all the negative publicity.

The search committee needs to look past just the dollars. It's an investment in the school and in the community. Some shortsighted personnel decisions this past summer got us to this point. Learn from the mistake and conduct a wide search. This can still be a top job in NC. Screw it up again like a few years ago, and it may doom us to mediocrity for a long time.
And our defensive coordinator is going with them as well

And our defensive coordinator is going with them as well
All the more reason for the search committee to take a comprehensive approach to the hire. Much like was done when Robertson was brought aboard. Ensure that there are enough quality faculty assistants to allow them to be competitive. Obviously, academic integrity must be maintained in the hires. But you can do both.

THS should quickly offer the job to the offence coordinator. He is a clone of Robertson and very good with the kids and a very good math teacher. He will be missed.

Yes they were both math teachers.
There was a lot of effort put into fitting the assistants Coach Robertson wanted into appropriate teaching positions. I understand both were good educators.
There is a small window of opportunity to hire a really good coach. But the decision makers need to think holistically and not get caught up in small minded logic.
An Allen or Benjie Brown or a Doug Robertson have a positive influence way beyond the football field. Our whole system needs a shot in the arm and Coach Robertson was helping us get there. If we go backward, we’ll become Lexington.
Get the right coach, hire good assistants who are also good educators. The rest will work out. And that includes the money.

Don’t have to be a big-time coach to have a positive influence on the kids and community.
True, but mediocrity will certainly have the opposite effect. We've seen both. Thomasville City Schools has two strikes against it for a variety of reasons. But an athletic program that represents character, hard work and integrity can galvanize a community in a positive way. Coaches who are unable or unwilling to reach out to the community and involve them have very little chance of success on or off the field. It's part coach, part mentor, part father figure and part public relations expert. This program deserves someone who can be all of that. The coaches I mentioned did. There are others out there who can. That's who needs to be hired, whoever that is.

OC, do you think there’s any chance Benjie could be talked into coming home?
Shhhh!
Seriously, I think there would be a slight chance, but the stars would have to align. I’ll just go ahead and say it. If something like that were to occur, there are resources in this community to help make it possible. There were a few posters on here who raised $7500 to buy those play clocks in about 24 hours. The school system didn’t contribute a dime. Nor to the $50,000 renovation of the field house.
Much of the support for the school system and the athletic program still exists. And when the program operates with integrity, it will always be there. But nobody wants to watch players being dragged off the field, while throwing a helmet at an official. Or reading in the paper that twenty plus players had been arrested in the past six months.
If Benjie ever expresses interest, the decision makers should jump at it. Forget wins and losses. He and his father are people who can restore the community pride in the school system, simply by being who they are....genuine, Christian leaders and men of character. I also suspect that some pretty good educators and assistant coaches would be quick to apply.
Not to mention that his wife is a former CIS employee at TCS and is currently the director of CIS in Montgomery County. Thomasville is in the process of hiring a director. They still live in Thomasville.
I haven’t talked to Benjie, and that’s not my role. But we have a very capable athletic director, principal and superintendent.
Having said all that, I don’t believe in jeopardizing anyone’s job by speculating on the internet. But your question is a logical one, and that is my opinion.

Shhhh!
Seriously, I think there would be a slight chance, but the stars would have to align. I’ll just go ahead and say it. If something like that were to occur, there are resources in this community to help make it possible. There were a few posters on here who raised $7500 to buy those play clocks in about 24 hours. The school system didn’t contribute a dime. Nor to the $50,000 renovation of the field house.
Much of the support for the school system and the athletic program still exists. And when the program operates with integrity, it will always be there. But nobody wants to watch players being dragged off the field, while throwing a helmet at an official. Or reading in the paper that twenty plus players had been arrested in the past six months.
If Benjie ever expresses interest, the decision makers should jump at it. Forget wins and losses. He and his father are people who can restore the community pride in the school system, simply by being who they are....genuine, Christian leaders and men of character. I also suspect that some pretty good educators and assistant coaches would be quick to apply.
Not to mention that his wife is a former CIS employee at TCS and is currently the director of CIS in Montgomery County. Thomasville is in the process of hiring a director. They still live in Thomasville.
I haven’t talked to Benjie, and that’s not my role. But we have a very capable athletic director, principal and superintendent.
Having said all that, I don’t believe in jeopardizing anyone’s job by speculating on the internet. But your question is a logical one, and that is my opinion.

Fantastic post OC. This is a no brainer.

Dear God, Please Bring Benjie home! I feel like we were just getting our footing back under Robertson. He is a fantastic coach and I am actually very surprised he left for Page. He seems to thrive on rebuilding programs like Tville. That said, we know Benjie would be here for the long haul. I hope it happens. We are a bad hire away from being irrelevant and becoming Lexington.

With Coach Benjie might come his dad and coach Switzer! That would be awesome!!!!

Let’s don’t all get our hopes up. As far as I know, he hasn’t applied. All speculation at this point.

Let’s don’t all get our hopes up. As far as I know, he hasn’t applied. All speculation at this point.

It just seems like a complete no brainer. Especially since he still lives in Thomasville and is commuting every day. Timing just seems right.

It just seems like a complete no brainer. Especially since he still lives in Thomasville and is commuting every day. Timing just seems right.
I have no idea if he’s even considering applying. But I can’t imagine he would and his wife continue to work in Montgomery County.

I have no idea if he’s even considering applying. But I can’t imagine he would and his wife continue to work in Montgomery County.

I just think why would you want to coach at Montgomery over Thomasville. I know there are some things in the past but it seems that enough time has elapsed and we have decent leadership in place. He loves Thomasville and if he is going to be coaching, it just seems like it would be here. If not, I truly hope we can land a quality coach and community leader. We cant afford to go backwards.

I just think why would you want to coach at Montgomery over Thomasville. I know there are some things in the past but it seems that enough time has elapsed and we have decent leadership in place. He loves Thomasville and if he is going to be coaching, it just seems like it would be here. If not, I truly hope we can land a quality coach and community leader. We cant afford to go backwards.
Benjie has multiple roles at Montgomery Central. More responsibility, but I’m sure more money. And his wife is there with a responsible position.
CIS is associated with TCS, but has a separate board and is funded differently. So, both groups would need to feel they’re getting the best candidate. And that’s me assuming they would both entertain the idea.
Again, all of this is speculation based on somebody asking the question.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT