ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville loses HC Robertson to page HS

Considering the Browns still love and live in Thomasville, I could see Benjie returning home if we could come close to matching what he makes and dont count out some in this community from making that happen. If you know you want to be in Thomasville, why make that drive every day if we could come close to matching which is not out of the realm of possibility. Id say its a 50-50 shot.

So still no coach?? What’s happening in Thomasville? Getting to be crunch time

Interview committee needs to represent well respected coach, former administrator, and knowledgeable community member with bulldog ties.

Interview committee needs to represent well respected coach, former administrator, and knowledgeable community member with bulldog ties.
Heard that someone had suggested a student on the search committee. Now, that’s nuts.

Picture yourself at seventeen. I rest my case.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Heard we had the perfect hire -- everything in place -- and that somebody ruined it! We can't ever get it right

Heard that someone had suggested a student on the search committee. Now, that’s nuts.

Picture yourself at seventeen. I rest my case.
Lol our principal wants us to help our AD find a good coach, I’m pretty sure he has it under control and that’s what he was hired to do

Lol our principal wants us to help our AD find a good coach, I’m pretty sure he has it under control and that’s what he was hired to do
When the principal was hired, we had a good coach. But I agree that he probably has it under control, along with the AD. As long as they don’t get too hung up on hire by committee.

The committee is the key. I may take some courage to make the right decision.
The makeup of the committee is likely the key. If their goal is to hire a knowledgeable coach who is a leader, a disciplinarian, and can maintain the Cushwa/Brown/Brown/Robertson culture, they'll have the support of the community and the players. If their goal is to cut costs and create change for change's sake, they'll fail miserably. We've been down both paths recently, with coaches, principals and administrators.

I confess, I don't really understand the need for a search committee. It is the job of the AD and the principal. But if a committee is desired, keep it small and populated with people who understand how important the culture of athletics is to the whole school system. How it sets the tone for pride, or lack thereof in the schools and the community. Not a win at all cost mentality. Not one that views sports as a right, but as a privilege. One where boys can learn to be young men while playing a game they love. And maybe win a few games along the way.

Reactions: Ooooner
Like I said earlier OC, I heard they had the perfect hire in the bag (all the characteristics that you mentioned above), only to be ruined by a small majority. Not at liberty to say who, but I was very excited till it was ruined. Not official, just hearsay.

Like I said earlier OC, I heard they had the perfect hire in the bag (all the characteristics that you mentioned above), only to be ruined by a small majority. Not at liberty to say who, but I was very excited till it was ruined. Not official, just hearsay.
I hear you. But the school system didn't control the variables.

OC your very right in what you say. I think we will know which way the wind is blowing when we learn who the committee is made of.

Bottom line is welcome to new people in our system but please educate yourself to our traditions.

I have a friend that works in the building and she said that the morale is very low over there under the new principal. Word on the street is they have lost 12 teachers before the new semester which one would think that would be a lot. Hopefully this new principal knows what he is doing.

Reactions: THSochocinco
I have a friend that works in the building and she said that the morale is very low over there under the new principal. Word on the street is they have lost 12 teachers before the new semester which one would think that would be a lot. Hopefully this new principal knows what he is doing.
Doubt that it’s twelve but losing Coach Robertson and some assistants is at least three. There were others. Just not sure about twelve.

Doubt that it’s twelve but losing Coach Robertson and some assistants is at least three. There were others. Just not sure about twelve.

They Lost 3 English teachers, 2 Maths, 1 PE, 2 History, 2 science teachers, an EC Assistant. Sorry 11

So, although I really enjoy the banter concerning the coaching search and the ideas about what/who might come... Has anyone else considered that this kind of discussion, which is easily searchable, might be very detrimental to a coach who might be considering making a change?

Any coach worth having is paying attention to this stuff.

- Low Morale
- High Turnover
- Need for a committee to make decisions that others are hired to do
Etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m rooting for a good hire. When teams in the CCC get better, it makes everyone better. I don’t want Thomasville to stink. Heck, I even want Lexington to quit stinking.

If the rumors are true about the principal wanted to be on the forefront of the search, that is issue. Leave it to the AD. Coach Bare did an excellent job

So, although I really enjoy the banter concerning the coaching search and the ideas about what/who might come... Has anyone else considered that this kind of discussion, which is easily searchable, might be very detrimental to a coach who might be considering making a change?

Any coach worth having is paying attention to this stuff.

- Low Morale
- High Turnover
- Need for a committee to make decisions that others are hired to do
Etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m rooting for a good hire. When teams in the CCC get better, it makes everyone better. I don’t want Thomasville to stink. Heck, I even want Lexington to quit stinking.
I agree.
But, on the other side of that point is a need for the next coach to go into the situation with an awareness of the challenges as well as the advantages. Numbers are a challenge. The culture is a challenge.
The potential support for the program and the system is a huge advantage. The tradition is an advantage.
My hope is for a coach who will dedicate at least 5-10 years in advancing the program. It’s not a stepping stone to the next job. A commitment will reap rewards. Anything less is not acceptable.

What about Todd McCombs. Was DC at WSSU and now an analyst on Carolina's staff. I understand he had interest in our past openings. Someone who understands the culture and would stay a long time if it worked perhaps.

Wish there was someway to get Benji. I hope we get someone that will stay and dig in their heels.

What about Todd McCombs. Was DC at WSSU and now an analyst on Carolina's staff. I understand he had interest in our past openings. Someone who understands the culture and would stay a long time if it worked perhaps.

Wish there was someway to get Benji. I hope we get someone that will stay and dig in their heels.
Have a lot of respect for Todd. But I believe that proven head coaching experience is a must.

At least 30 applicants, including some pretty big names. Some of which, I’m sure, will never be made public. Nobody thought Coach Robertson would leave until he did.
Do you think these pretty big names have a chance to keep the program on its feet.

Do you think these pretty big names have a chance to keep the program on its feet.
I think that a couple would do very well. By no means, do I know who they all are. Heard there were a few community folks who apparently didn’t understand that the coach will also need to be a teacher.

I think someone like Coach Trivett from Central Davidson would do well. He is a former bulldog, and has head coaching experience form Trinity and CD. Not to mention he had done a heck of a job at turning around Central and leading them to where they are now.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
I hope they get this right. We really need someone who understands Thomasville football and the culture or they are gong to bolt. Just look at Robertson. He was on track to get us back and he left. We need someone who doesnt want to leave even if its for more money, etc.

The interviews have begun, so barring some late arriving superstar, a decision shouldn’t be far away. I think the number being interviewed is in the single digits. Sounds as if the search committee is capable. At the end, the AD and principal are the primary decision makers, as it should be. Hope they make a great choice.

Thomasville HC job seems to be a stepping stone job now,when at one time it was one of the best jobs in the state
I think it’s still one of the best.
The first coach after Allen Brown returned to his former school as an AD. The second just wasn’t a good fit for the system or the community. Coach Robertson is heading to a 4A school much closer to his home. I don’t think any of them were just using it to advance. But I do believe we need some stability. In my mind, that’s at least 5-10 years.

Well from what I’ve read from the last 5 or so post, it’s pretty safe to say Benjie is not in on this. If so what’s the hold up? I think he came back to coach at one place and that’s where he is. I’m curious to see who they hire though

And in this day in time, money talks. I don’t care what the coaches say.
Had it not been for one school board member, Benjie could have been our superintendent five years ago. Which, obviously, pays a lot more than he’s making. We have a good one now. But that could have saved us two disasters in the interim.
Keep in mind that his wife also works in Montgomery County. It’s not as simple as coaching pay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT