ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville loses HC Robertson to page HS

I think it’s still one of the best.
The first coach after Allen Brown returned to his former school as an AD. The second just wasn’t a good fit for the system or the community. Coach Robertson is heading to a 4A school much closer to his home. I don’t think any of them were just using it to advance. But I do believe we need some stability. In my mind, that’s at least 5-10 years.

Thats why this hire is so important. The first one was not as good of a hire as it seemed. He was going to totally revamp Thomasville and had no idea of the culture. He bolted. The second hire was an absolute disaster and should have NEVER happened. The third, was a great hire. Its a shame we couldnt keep him.

All the more reason to really get this one right. We should have done whatever it took to get Benji, but we can still land a very solid guy. Needs to be someone who will embrace the Thomasville culture and family and who has no real reason to leave while also being a damn good coach. He is out there.

Thats why this hire is so important. The first one was not as good of a hire as it seemed. He was going to totally revamp Thomasville and had no idea of the culture. He bolted. The second hire was an absolute disaster and should have NEVER happened. The third, was a great hire. Its a shame we couldnt keep him.

All the more reason to really get this one right. We should have done whatever it took to get Benji, but we can still land a very solid guy. Needs to be someone who will embrace the Thomasville culture and family and who has no real reason to leave while also being a damn good coach. He is out there.
Yes, he is. I hope they hire him.

Had it not been for one school board member, Benjie could have been our superintendent five years ago. Which, obviously, pays a lot more than he’s making. We have a good one now. But that could have saved us two disasters in the interim.
Keep in mind that his wife also works in Montgomery County. It’s not as simple as coaching pay.

You would think that due to the nature of our system, we could get his wife something close to comparable and then give her something even better as soon as it opened. I dont know, it seems we could make this happen which is really sad. They still live here! Thats not the greatest commute. That one school board member should be ashamed.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Thomasville HC job seems to be a stepping stone job now,when at one time it was one of the best jobs in the state

The Browns were Thomasville natives and lived and breathed Bulldogs and this town. This job is only a stepping stone depending on who you hire. I thought Robertson would want to see this mission through but he has jumped around at jobs which stood out to me immediately. Need to get this one right for the long haul. We are at least a stable program now.

Reactions: ocdavis31
You would think that due to the nature of our system, we could get his wife something close to comparable and then give her something even better as soon as it opened. I dont know, it seems we could make this happen which is really sad. They still live here! Thats not the greatest commute. That one school board member should be ashamed.
Once upon a time, there was a small group of people who thought that a "good ole boy" network ran TCS. And that the system needed to be purged of anyone named Brown or Tobin. They failed to understand that those families dedicated their lives to doing what's right for Thomasville City Schools. And especially for the kids in the system. We have suffered mightily for their absence. But they still want what's right for those kids. And they continue to be dedicated to the effort.

Reactions: 7heels
Once upon a time, there was a small group of people who thought that a "good ole boy" network ran TCS. And that the system needed to be purged of anyone named Brown or Tobin. They failed to understand that those families dedicated their lives to doing what's right for Thomasville City Schools. And especially for the kids in the system. We have suffered mightily for their absence. But they still want what's right for those kids. And they continue to be dedicated to the effort.

I know all about that. I was hoping that sort of thinking had been flushed by now.

I know all about that. I was hoping that sort of thinking had been flushed by now.
It has, mostly. But there are still folks who don't understand the value that homegrown advocates bring to the culture. And they're not necessarily in the school system.

What we had in the bag a couple weeks ago we need to go and make right!!!!!!! All I am saying! That will bring T'ville football back like it was!

The sad thing is that I heard through the grapevine it has happened again. They had him coming and one or two people ruined it

Right on OC -- and those people ruined the entire school system! Has not been the same since!!!!

The answer is selecting the right school board members. Whoever does the selection should have their feet held to the fire.

The sad thing is that I heard through the grapevine it has happened again. They had him coming and one or two people ruined it
So what your saying is he has applied? Or is this speculation/wishful thinking? Is this fake news? Maybe CNN?
The bottom line is that nobody will know who applied except the selection committee. Unless, of course, they are selected. But there will also be those who inquired and expressed interest, but chose not to apply for whatever reason.
The school board is appointed by city council from among those who apply. Very few apply. And some who apply have an agenda that isn’t positive for the system. For those who advocate an elected board, I contend that, if you don’t apply for appointment, why would you run?

Great point! Maybe a committee to recruit school board members? You would be great to head it up.

Great point! Maybe a committee to recruit school board members? You would be great to head it up.
The city council has a committee that does just that. And all council members actively try to recruit capable people on an ongoing basis. Most of the school board members for the past fifteen years were recruited by someone on the council. Almost all of those will quickly tell you that they will serve but would never run for elected office. I hope Thomasville never resorts to the Board of Education being elected. I see what happens in other communities. There is too much politics in education already.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Fake news on the Browns
If I’ve learned nothing else in coaching searches, it’s that way more goes on behind the scenes than the public will ever know. Which is probably how it should be. The speculation on social media can be harmful to gainfully employed teachers and coaches. If all the coaches who expressed interest in this job were made public over the last five years, it would shock almost everyone on these threads.
Certainly does me.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
If I’ve learned nothing else in coaching searches, it’s that way more goes on behind the scenes than the public will ever know. Which is probably how it should be. The speculation on social media can be harmful to gainfully employed teachers and coaches. If all the coaches who expressed interest in this job were made public over the last five years, it would shock almost everyone on these threads.
Certainly does me.
I can’t wait to find out who it is by the end of this week

I can’t wait to find out who it is by the end of this week
And you may. But since the school board met tonight, it may be longer. They will need to approve any hire. I’ve said it before. Take your time and get it right.

The city council has a committee that does just that. And all council members actively try to recruit capable people on an ongoing basis. Most of the school board members for the past fifteen years were recruited by someone on the council. Almost all of those will quickly tell you that they will serve but would never run for elected office. I hope Thomasville never resorts to the Board of Education being elected. I see what happens in other communities. There is too much politics in education already.
A disaster in Lexington for sure.

2.0 GPA rule is hurting Lexington, if THS implemented that rule they would suffer in all sports. Kids need to make good grades to be qualified to play sports.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
2.0 GPA rule is hurting Lexington, if THS implemented that rule they would suffer in all sports. Kids need to make good grades to be qualified to play sports.

IMO, the way I see it is if you can't get it done in the classroom, what would lead me to believe that you can get it done on the field or gym floor. Any athlete that I have ever coached I have always stressed the importance of school over athletics. I have seen too many instances where school administrations have actually "gave" kids good grades while still allowing them to play sports. They don't understand that when you do this, the only thing you are doing is setting that kid up for failure.

If Lexington enforces that, it sure leads to some questions about at least one player on this year’s team.

IMO, the way I see it is if you can't get it done in the classroom, what would lead me to believe that you can get it done on the field or gym floor. Any athlete that I have ever coached I have always stressed the importance of school over athletics. I have seen too many instances where school administrations have actually "gave" kids good grades while still allowing them to play sports. They don't understand that when you do this, the only thing you are doing is setting that kid up for failure.
What about the kids that can't achieve 2.0 grade level s because of learning disabilities or bad home environments. Do you think we should give up on these kids. I know one thing a kid will learn alot more on a football field than he ever will in a classroom .We should do ever thing possible to encourage more kids to play football. The question he's to dumb to play football should never be asked, especially if the kid has good character and stays out of trouble . To have a good football program it takes some tough kids, and usually the toughest ones have grew up that way.
I'm not saying that you are wroung grades are important, but denying a kid the oppunity to play football on grades alone to me is failure. It's failure of the school systems and communtie..

What about the kids that can't achieve 2.0 grade level s because of learning disabilities or bad home environments. Do you think we should give up on these kids. I know one thing a kid will learn alot more on a football field than he ever will in a classroom .We should do ever thing possible to encourage more kids to play football. The question he's to dumb to play football should never be asked, especially if the kid has good character and stays out of trouble . To have a good football program it takes some tough kids, and usually the toughest ones have grew up that way.
I'm not saying that you are wroung grades are important, but denying a kid the oppunity to play football on grades alone to me is failure. It's failure of the school systems and communtie..
You make some valid points. But the flip side of that is that, unfortunately, there are kids who stay in school only to play sports. Very little academic effort. Ultimately, sports are a privilege, not a right. They’re an extension of the educational experience, not the purpose. 2.0 is not a rigorous standard. Especially now that the state makes 60 a passing grade.
The primary purpose of education is to prepare kids for adult life. If a student can’t achieve a 2.0, perhaps their time and efforts would be better spent trying to achieve that than playing sports. The days of walking into a furniture factory not even being able to read a tape measure and expecting to earn a working wage are long gone.

Absolutely. That was a calculated power move by the Lexington mayor. He won his battle and got what he wanted... while the school system ultimately lost.

Not that he cares, he sends his kid to private school.
In the interest of full disclosure, the Mayor is a good friend of mine. The Lexington council made the decision to ask the legislature to approve an elected school board. Lexington is in a drastically different situation than Thomasville. Their entire adult population is eligible to run for their school board (plus some outside the city limits).
I suspect that, if every elected official in both cities are honest, they’ll acknowledge that the answer is not elected school boards, but merger, with redistricting. Or, in Thomasville’s case, making the district lines coterminous with city limits lines, as Lexington has. But I’ll agree that Lexington’s decision to have an elected board has so far been a disaster.

You make some valid points. But the flip side of that is that, unfortunately, there are kids who stay in school only to play sports. Very little academic effort. Ultimately, sports are a privilege, not a right. They’re an extension of the educational experience, not the purpose. 2.0 is not a rigorous standard. Especially now that the state makes 60 a passing grade.
The primary purpose of education is to prepare kids for adult life. If a student can’t achieve a 2.0, perhaps their time and efforts would be better spent trying to achieve that than playing sports. The days of walking into a furniture factory not even being able to read a tape measure and expecting to earn a working wage are long gone.

Without a doubt. If you cant achieve a 2.0, you have no business on the field unless you have a learning disability. Kids need to have a bare minimum and a 2.0 is just that.

I have heard that the final two is a coach from Forsyth county and a former Randolph county coach
Let’s be careful about too much speculation. In most coaching searches, the candidates have a job. If the coach isn’t selected, it’s not beneficial for the boss to know he’s looking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT