ADVERTISEMENT

This was started in September & I did not see it ! Belongs to BUZZ

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
All Deer that are killed and put in the freezer and eaten in 2023 & 2024.
I am a city slicker and have never had deer meat. But I hear it is very good ! 😓😓☹️☹️🙁🙁

Last edited:
I’ll bring you some bear meat next Friday😀
Old guy so of course this post made me think of a story.
Young man, ok he was in his thirties then but I remember when he was born so young, went bow hunting black bear down on the coast I believe. First who hunts a bear with a bow? Had a sow and three cubs come out of cornfield right beside me while deer hunting at Pungo once. Only time I've ever been afraid with a 12 gauge Browning full of buckshot in my hands. Anyway my young friend harvested, Weird word but have to use it nowadays, the bear. Sent me a pound of sausage to try. Was the greasiest sausage ever ate. Smelled gamey while cooking and truthfully my dogs wouldn't eat leftovers. But like my daddy and momma taught me, when he asked me how it was, I said thanks and it was an interesting take on sausage...
I'm sure I probably didn't prepare it right or cooked to fast or something. Haven;t eaten bear meat since...

Man telling hunting stories is fun. These Mt Airy supporters might be onto something? Plus it seems like mostly me and mountain fellers end up talking about it...

Young man, ok he was in his thirties then but I remember when he was born so young, went bow hunting black bear down on the coast I believe. First who hunts a bear with a bow? Had a sow and three cubs come out of cornfield right beside me while deer hunting at Pungo once. Only time I've ever been afraid with a 12 gauge Browning full of buckshot in my hands. Anyway my young friend harvested, Weird word but have to use it nowadays, the bear. Sent me a pound of sausage to try. Was the greasiest sausage ever ate. Smelled gamey while cooking and truthfully my dogs wouldn't eat leftovers. But like my daddy and momma taught me, when he asked me how it was, I said thanks and it was an interesting take on sausage...
I'm sure I probably didn't prepare it right or cooked to fast or something. Haven;t eaten bear meat since...

Man telling hunting stories is fun. These Mt Airy supporters might be onto something? Plus it seems like mostly me and mountain fellers end up talking about it...
“Harvested” one about five years ago with a bow. Had it worked up by the finest processor. Tried to eat it, then threw the rest away. I’ll never “harvest” another unless it’s named Buzz

Don't have to be country to eat deer meat TD. Some of them fancy restaurants have venison on menus I hear. Course fanciest one I've ever been to is probably Buffalo Wild Wings o Chili's...
I don't think any restaurants in or around Mount Airy has deer meat or I have never in my long life seen it in my hometown. I would have tried it if I had seen it locally.

“Harvested” one about five years ago with a bow. Had it worked up by the finest processor. Tried to eat it, then threw the rest away. I’ll never “harvest” another unless it’s named Buzz
Cooked some up last year and fixed it like country style steak,cube steak, with gravy and potatoes. Was good. Got another this year and going to try some more.

We have land in Ashe County and spend a lot of time there. My neighbor from Lenoir has a large parcel beside me and told me that he was letting a friend hunt bear on it this past weekend. I knew he usually only hunted deer and turkey, but didn’t think much about it.
We had just returned from the Appalachian game Saturday night when he called to say that he was coming up to help his friend bring a bear out that he had shot. Not having heard any shots, I asked when he shot it, thinking it was while we were gone. He said he shot it with a bow. Who knew? Now that’s a brave (or foolish) man!

I just killed a small 6 pointer Tuesday at Latta plantation during the meck co. parks and recreation hunt. Spent yesterday cleaning up the meat for the processor.. going to have deer sticks made of most of the meat. Ate some blackstrap and heart for supper.
Side note I’m used to hunting mountain deer that are 200 lb range and those deer in meck co. look like our yotes walking around 😂 tiny deer but big bucks live in there they just hard to see and kill.

I just killed a small 6 pointer Tuesday at Latta plantation during the meck co. parks and recreation hunt. Spent yesterday cleaning up the meat for the processor.. going to have deer sticks made of most of the meat. Ate some blackstrap and heart for supper.
Side note I’m used to hunting mountain deer that are 200 lb range and those deer in meck co. look like our yotes walking around 😂 tiny deer but big bucks live in there they just hard to see and kill.
Down this away we very seldom have a 200 pound deer. The biggest one I’ve ever harvested was 176. But that was on December 6th and his backbone was showing through skin almost. He had been chasing all the does I guess. In a tree posting this so hopefully his great great great grandson walks by.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
For everyone that doesn’t know Mr. Kidd is the BIG BUCK SLYAER around here… one day I hope to be as good a hunter as Mr. Kidd

Good luck brother I’m on a mini vacation with my girls and we just drove bye Cherokee high school and seen a couple elk cross the road.. just cows but still awesome to see

• Haha
Reactions: thekidd12
For everyone that doesn’t know Mr. Kidd is the BIG BUCK SLYAER around here… one day I hope to be as good a hunter as Mr. Kidd

Good luck brother I’m on a mini vacation with my girls and we just drove bye Cherokee high school and seen a couple elk cross the road.. just cows but still awesome to see
Just once a young man with two babies dressed in Army surplus camo who climbed a tree after dropping boy off at kindergarten.
Right place right time.
But thank you.
Enjoy your girls sir. Before you know it you’ll be an old man who gets in ladder stands just to watch the nature wake up and sun go down. I still enjoy it but not the same without little ones around.

Man I would love to see some wild elk!!!

Last edited:
Just once a young man with two babies dressed in Army surplus camo who climbed a tree after dropping boy off at kindergarten.
Right place right time.
But thank you.
Enjoy your girls sir. Before you know it you’ll be an old man who gets in ladder stands just to watch the nature wake up and sun go down. I still enjoy it but not the same without little ones around.

Man I would love to see some wild elk!!!
Tetons in September. Elk bugling one of life’s best experiences, even if you don’t hunt.

Boys I know y’all got football on your minds but if you hunt deer with a muzzleloader you should think about getting in the woods. Got in stand around 4:45 and had a basket six point already meandering around. About twenty minutes later spike comes by. Then around twenty minutes before dark three does stroll around until a grunt stops all three. A high eight point walks to about 100 yards and stands broadside for next ten minutes.
I let him walk but afternoons like today makes it fun. Enjoy your games but if you get a chance get in the woods!!

Our muzzy don’t start until Saturday.. but on my gamelands I have to wait till nov. 20 for gun season
Used to read the game books every year and knew everybody’s dates. Talked to guys from Cherryville tonight and they said tomorrow was beginning of muzzleloader. We get a week head start on y’all. This cold snap got the bucks a little antsy looks like. Maybe in morning I can put a stop to at least one of those pesterers…

Used to read the game books every year and knew everybody’s dates. Talked to guys from Cherryville tonight and they said tomorrow was beginning of muzzleloader. We get a week head start on y’all. This cold snap got the bucks a little antsy looks like. Maybe in morning I can put a stop to at least one of those pesterers…
Lol. I am getting tired of all these deer eating food that I put out for squirrels.

Boys I know y’all got football on your minds but if you hunt deer with a muzzleloader you should think about getting in the woods. Got in stand around 4:45 and had a basket six point already meandering around. About twenty minutes later spike comes by. Then around twenty minutes before dark three does stroll around until a grunt stops all three. A high eight point walks to about 100 yards and stands broadside for next ten minutes.
I let him walk but afternoons like today makes it fun. Enjoy your games but if you get a chance get in the woods!!
Man our Muzzleloader has done and past but still after them with the ol stick and string. Favorite time of the year.

Go kill a biggun….

Reactions: thekidd12
Ok gentlemen, y’all know I’m not an I told you so kind of guy but…
Only saw one deer this morning around 8AM. Came into 30 yards. Ten minutes later taking pictures with a 20 inch wide seven pointer. Tines are fairly nice with G3s around 9 inches. But he’s wide!
Told you so 😂

Congratulations. So far 6 does one lonely spike. Someone has to have a boyfriend lol.
Thank you sir. Hope the big boyfriend strolls by for you. I actually got a little excited when I put hands on him. And smoke cleared 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT