ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Durham forfeits 2015 season

Shelby Lion

Oct 3, 2002
Dirty Ankle, NC
Just came across several stories stating Southern Durham has forfeited all games for this past season due to an illegal player

Dang that's tough ! Especially for those teams they beat in playoffs and the kids on the SD team ...

Just came across several stories stating Southern Durham has forfeited all games for this past season due to an illegal player

Dang that's tough ! Especially for those teams they beat in playoffs and the kids on the SD team ...

That is rough for Northern Guilford and the team they beat in 3rd round. Hate it for those programs they beat in the playoffs.

'Motownmo' looked at his guitar and his spindly legs and he remembered the SDHS fan who was leaning over the railing at county stadium after Oranges last game yelling at Orange to 'go home ya got beat'. 'Motown' put on his cowboy hat and boots and cut on the microphone atop Eno Mountain and sang unto 'Death Valley' a Hank cheatin' song.

Your cheatin' team
Now makes you weep
You'd try and sly
To get Orange beat
The wins will come
But now your through
Your cheatin' ways have caught on to you...

Now wins come down
Like falling rain
You'll stomp the ground
Until your lame
You're shown the door
And say 'BOO HOO'
The NCSHAA has caught on to you...

Your cheatin' ways
To win a game
And crave the honor
You threw away
The time has come
Now you'll be blue
Your cheatin' heart will tell on you...

When tears come down
Like ADM's and fame
You'll call around
Recruiting Orange's players by name
Don't call no more
They'll not talk to you
Your cheatin' ways aint what country folks do ...

Last edited:
I agree with oldschoolbulldog. It is stupid, I've heard nothing but great things about the Southern Durham coaching staff. Sad to hear this.

Yea, I agree with some sort of fine or even a probation of some sort. Just the NCHSAA trying to flex their muscles.

Simple paperwork, probably easier to review than eight quarter participation.

I do not like all the forfeits. I think taking away X amount of playoff games the next season in addition to a fine would be more on target. The thing with physicals and the eight quarter rule is potential litigation. Player gets hurt and his physical was out of date it will be nasty if it was something a physical may have uncovered or even not uncovered in our current world of lawsuit madness.

Last edited:
If they beat your team in the playoffs with an ineligible player on Friday would you let it go.

Well they beat my team in the playoffs with an ineligible player on Friday and we competed without a main player that was suspended (skipping one class) for one game that day.

Well they beat my team in the playoffs with an ineligible player on Friday and we competed without a main player that was suspended (skipping one class) for one game that day.

That does stink and I wish there was something that could be done to fix that. This is the real bummer of teams that break rules. There are going to be teams left behind that played by the rules and get an unfinished feeling.

Imagine the coaching staff having to explain it to about 90 plus teenagers full of high test hormones. Many of whom played their last football game.

Imagine the coaching staff having to explain it to about 90 plus teenagers full of high test hormones. Many of whom played their last football game.
I mean to those kids those games were still W's. They won't think of them as L's. Now if this was mid-season/in the playoffs then that is a different story.

I do not see this as big a difference maker as having a player on the team that should not be on the team due to not living in the district. This is a player that should have been on the field except he did not have his physical updated.

I would never let him suit up for the first game if he did not have a physical that would take him through the season to include the state title weekend.

I do not see this as big a difference maker as having a player on the team that should not be on the team due to not living in the district. This is a player that should have been on the field except he did not have his physical updated.

I would never let him suit up for the first game if he did not have a physical that would take him through the season to include the state title weekend.
That I believe is how Catholic does it. Most if not all of their players have their physicals over the summer so they're valid through the entire school year.

What do you say to a student athlete who played by the rules and was beaten by a team that was dropped down into their conference after some dubious ADM count and gets to openly recruit by calling itself a magnate school and now gets caught using ineligible player (s).

What do you say to a student athlete who played by the rules and was beaten by a team that was dropped down into their conference after some dubious ADM count and gets to openly recruit by calling itself a magnate school and now gets caught using ineligible player (s).

One player didn't beat us and we would have lost anyway. They had more points than us. Now give me 5 more Hills! :)

SDHS is refusing to release the identity of the ineligible player to the media. What If that player did beat your team. Take any teams main offensive or defensive threat out and it changes the dynamics of the game. By refusing to release the players identity it gives rise to the possibility of the coaching staff knowing more than they are saying about when they knew the physical expired. If the staff knew during the season that the physical had expired and they allowed the player to play then they are complicit in a violation which ups the ante of punishment. The aggrieved are just asking for some transparency from a public education institution. The paradox of secrecy is that it breeds suspicion and erodes trust in the information that the discloser releases. Are we going to demand 'coaching cams' from now on?

There are several lawyers in Hillsborough who graduated from Orange High that would take the case pro bono. The issue is how much money OHS and the other schools lost and does SDHS or the Durham School Board owe them money. While the amount of money may not be great the subpoena to a deposition in front of lawyer could be interesting. There is no 5th amendment right in a civil case.

There are several lawyers in Hillsborough who graduated from Orange High that would take the case pro bono. The issue is how much money OHS and the other schools lost and does SDHS or the Durham School Board owe them money. While the amount of money may not be great the subpoena to a deposition in front of lawyer could be interesting. There is no 5th amendment right in a civil case.

What exactly would you litigate?? What would the end game be?? You think Crest is gonna put the uni's on and play the title game again.??

It was a expired physical. Punish them, vacate the wins. Nobody is gonna care much past Monday. Title was won. Crest is the winner. Let's avoid making this some massive conspiracy. FYI..there probably lucky they didn't have to play Crest. Saved them the embarrasment.

Lol you want money I guess? Nothing I see to litigate....just play better next time.

What exactly would you litigate?? What would the end game be?? You think Crest is gonna put the uni's on and play the title game again.??

It was a expired physical. Punish them, vacate the wins. Nobody is gonna care much past Monday. Title was won. Crest is the winner. Let's avoid making this some massive conspiracy. FYI..there probably lucky they didn't have to play Crest. Saved them the embarrasment.
What is Orange even going to argue? 1052 is an Orange fan and they didn't even get to the regional final.

If SDHS would have beat Crest in 2015 like they did in 2013 and used an ineligible player Crest Nation would have hired 'The Wizard of Oz' to litigate the case. Its relative to if you won or lost.

If SDHS would have beat Crest in 2015 like they did in 2013 and used an ineligible player Crest Nation would have hired 'The Wizard of Oz' to litigate the case. Its relative to if you won or lost.

They would have lost on the field and that would be all that mattered.

Don't think so. I like to have a go at the Crest fans but they like to play it on the field. Win , lose or draw. Hire a lawyer and play it out in court?? Sounds weak to me...Doubt Crest would roll like that.

It was a expired physical. Your making it sound like they dressed Adrian Peterson for the game.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
I have enjoyed these blogs and how stuff is kicked around. To the winners go the spoils but the next time it may be your ox that gets gored by the ineligible player and H-ll hath no fury like Crest Nation scorned.

SDHS says if their quarterback had played they would have beat Crest and that's the only thing that kept them from being 2-0 in state championship games. They are convinced that their throwing game was faster than Crest's running game. If that would have happened with the ineligible player would Crest Nation have left it on the field.

SDHS says if their quarterback had played they would have beat Crest and that's the only thing that kept them from being 2-0 in state championship games. They are convinced that their throwing game was faster than Crest's running game. If that would have happened with the ineligible player would Crest Nation have left it on the field.

Unless their quarterback is named Cam Newton they are wrong and frankly even that is questionable. I forget how many yards Harbison had rushing but lets just say it was a big number. SD had a good team, maybe a title winner in 8 out of 10 years. They weren't beating Crest this year...There may not have been 5 guys that SD had that would have started for Crest.

I have enjoyed these blogs and how stuff is kicked around. To the winners go the spoils but the next time it may be your ox that gets gored by the ineligible player and H-ll hath no fury like Crest Nation scorned.

I understand the frustration and I am not saying it wouldn't piss me off but you can play what if scenarios all day and all night and in the end it comes out exactly the same. If they would have dressed multiple kids that had residency issues or that were 19 maybe I have a different opinion but a kid who didn't pay $15 for a physical??? Come on...its just silly.

Orange had a nice year, not quite good enough.

SDHS is refusing to release the identity of the ineligible player to the media. What If that player did beat your team. Take any teams main offensive or defensive threat out and it changes the dynamics of the game. By refusing to release the players identity it gives rise to the possibility of the coaching staff knowing more than they are saying about when they knew the physical expired. If the staff knew during the season that the physical had expired and they allowed the player to play then they are complicit in a violation which ups the ante of punishment. The aggrieved are just asking for some transparency from a public education institution. The paradox of secrecy is that it breeds suspicion and erodes trust in the information that the discloser releases. Are we going to demand 'coaching cams' from now on?

With it involving a players physical would HIPPA laws not come into play? It doesn't matter who the child is anyway and let us not forget, it is a child that did nothing wrong. It was the responsibility of the adults around this child to make sure all the "i" 's were dotted and the "t" 's were crossed. Sounds like to me somebody just got lazy with paper work or just flat out missed it. Why risk a season over expired paperwork, esp a physical? That would be easily remedied. I know I'm not from the area but I have read the comments on this board about some of their concerns about how Southen finds players but I don't see a big coverup here, just a big screwup.

Southern forfeits all gate receipts from the playoffs in addition to the forfeits.

If there were some type of chicken shlt civil lawsuit what would be the relevance of whichvplayer has been ruled ineligible?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT