ADVERTISEMENT

South Point @ Dudley

Between the refs and the chain gang, that was one of the worst group of goobers I’ve ever seen. Refs missed calls all night both ways. The chain gang didn’t know their butts from their elbows. But I really liked the way the game ended.
Boy are you right about that! They acted like they had never called a game before. They did blow calls both ways and just didn't seem to know what to do next. That 10 yards for a first down thingy was just too much for these geniuses to figure out.

Dudley made the mistake of thinking SP was scared due to last years outcome. You can pull from the entire county, get special treatment and get every slanted call by the refs….but we ain’t scared to show up for the fight. That scenario ain’t the first time we saw it this year, and probably won’t be the last.
I do respect the kids effort and skill though.
I think SP was a little nervous after going down 21-6 early in the game. But the rain started and it slowed Dudley up just enough for SP to get their swagger back and figure they could play with those guys after all. When they got the lead back at halftime, I knew the second half would be all Red Raiders. That's the pattern they play every week. Wear down the defense and just pound them in the second half. The formula worked to perfection again last night.

I’m about as surprised as one could be. A lot of factors last night. I did and still do think Dudley was a good football team, no doubt about it. They just let the QB get going and it snowballed. Blee played an awfully impressive game. I thought the key was the willingness and ability to pass in an attacking way. If you can have the threat of the pass then the option can work on anyone. It’s a balance that SP can’t afford to loose if they plan on winning more games this season.

I sure wish those Dudley Boyyzzzzzz would come back and provide their take on the game.
I sure do too. I am sure they blame it on the rain and they would be right about that. Dudley was not prepared for the rain and SP was. When the rain started, it was like a switch turned off over there. However, I am not sure Dudley would have won even if no rain. They had no answer for SP's offense all night long, especially in the 2nd half when their big boys got tired. I will say it would have been a heck of shootout if it had not rained.

I sure do too. I am sure they blame it on the rain and they would be right about that. Dudley was not prepared for the rain and SP was. When the rain started, it was like a switch turned off over there. However, I am not sure Dudley would have won even if no rain. They had no answer for SP's offense all night long, especially in the 2nd half when their big boys got tired. I will say it would have been a heck of shootout if it had not rained.
Still was a shootout, just one-sided.

Target practice.

I have to give a big shout out to all the Dudley staff and fans that I encountered. I went to both Dudley games and both times the folks there have been very friendly and welcoming. Everyone enters the same gate so there is a big possibility of something getting out of line but it doesn't happen. Even leaving last night, everyone was super friendly. That's the way all high school football games should be. Dudley is a fun place to go even though you know you might leave with your tail tucked between your legs. Fortunately, last night was our night. Thank you again Dudley for all your hospitality.

I have to give a big shout out to all the Dudley staff and fans that I encountered. I went to both Dudley games and both times the folks there have been very friendly and welcoming. Everyone enters the same gate so there is a big possibility of something getting out of line but it doesn't happen. Even leaving last night, everyone was super friendly. That's the way all high school football games should be. Dudley is a fun place to go even though you know you might leave with your tail tucked between your legs. Fortunately, last night was our night. Thank you again Dudley for all your hospitality.
I agree 73. i spoke to some Dudley personnel as I was leaving and he said we had a great team and was very kind about it. It was my third trip to their stadium (first time was visiting when Charlotte Catholic played) Always felt safe while in the stadium even though they are located in a rougher part of town and never worried that the game might turn either set of fans ugly.

The hard thing was passing by the fielld house right when the Dudley team was returning. You could see the loss, a big one at home, had really hit them hard. One guy had been crying as his face had that full feature look with the wet dampness around the eyes. I wondered if it was a senior and remembered how we felt last year...so please take it easy on the players as they are the sons of a family and have their dreams as well. They could have given up when we went up 48 -29 or at 55-35 but they continued to play and get what points they could.

Reactions: redraider73
I watched the whole SP/Dudley game from start to end. First let me say that Dudley definitely looks the part across the board. This teams has studs everywhere that will eventually play on the next level. Big linemen on both sides of ball, tall fast receivers, a qb with a rocket for a arm and speed everywhere. The sophomore receiver #1 is special. He will be a National recruit by the end of his junior year.
Hats off to South Point. The Raiders hung in there as Dudley hit them with hey makers early. SP could not move the ball and Dudley was getting whatever it wanted on offense early especially in the passing game. The kickoff return for a td was huge for SP’s confidence that cut the score to 21-13. Also I think it was huge in the way the officials called the game the rest of the way. Officials are human and I thought the officials were believing that Dudley was going to just run away with the game as they have probably observed them do all year. I think once the officials realized that SP was coming to compete in this game, the officiating leveled out. Also Dudley who hasn’t played a competitive game in weeks had some doubt creep into their young guys heads.
Once the rain started it seemed that SP was way more comfortable playing in those conditions. Dudley pretty much abandoned the passing game for awhile which really helped SP’s defense dial in on their running game.
Defensively Dudley played with five d-linemen and let the rest of the defense run to the ball. This strategy backfired spectacularly on them. This strategy is effective against a Charlotte Catholic type of running offense but not against the Red bone. You have to assign someone to each option and play assignment football every play. Dudley appeared to never assign anyone to the SP quarterback and it paid dearly for this mistake. The SP qb kept it over and over again with much success. Once the Dudley secondary begin to over compensate by trying to come up in the quarterback alley and take that away, SP begin sprinkling in passes with great success. Dudley was officially done at that point because they had no defensive answers. SP gained confidence and really begin rolling. The only question was how many td’s would SP score after that.

Rain helped SP a lot…no question about it.
It slowed down some of Dudley’s speed. With that said…conditions are what they are. SP doesn’t have an OL that avgs over 300 like Dudley. They could’ve gotten in more of a conventional run formation and used those sprinters to their advantage. SP defense scored twice, and I agree that KO return was (along with the pick six) the biggest momentum swings of the game. The # 11 kid is a good athlete.

I watched the whole SP/Dudley game from start to end. First let me say that Dudley definitely looks the part across the board. This teams has studs everywhere that will eventually play on the next level. Big linemen on both sides of ball, tall fast receivers, a qb with a rocket for a arm and speed everywhere. The sophomore receiver #1 is special. He will be a National recruit by the end of his junior year.
Hats off to South Point. The Raiders hung in there as Dudley hit them with hey makers early. SP could not move the ball and Dudley was getting whatever it wanted on offense early especially in the passing game. The kickoff return for a td was huge for SP’s confidence that cut the score to 21-13. Also I think it was huge in the way the officials called the game the rest of the way. Officials are human and I thought the officials were believing that Dudley was going to just run away with the game as they have probably observed them do all year. I think once the officials realized that SP was coming to compete in this game, the officiating leveled out. Also Dudley who hasn’t played a competitive game in weeks had some doubt creep into their young guys heads.
Once the rain started it seemed that SP was way more comfortable playing in those conditions. Dudley pretty much abandoned the passing game for awhile which really helped SP’s defense dial in on their running game.
Defensively Dudley played with five d-linemen and let the rest of the defense run to the ball. This strategy backfired spectacularly on them. This strategy is effective against a Charlotte Catholic type of running offense but not against the Red bone. You have to assign someone to each option and play assignment football every play. Dudley appeared to never assign anyone to the SP quarterback and it paid dearly for this mistake. The SP qb kept it over and over again with much success. Once the Dudley secondary begin to over compensate by trying to come up in the quarterback alley and take that away, SP begin sprinkling in passes with great success. Dudley was officially done at that point because they had no defensive answers. SP gained confidence and really begin rolling. The only question was how many td’s would SP score after that.
This!!!

The SP QB should have gotten hit every single play. Even when he didn't have the ball. The fact that Dudley didn't notice this after the first couple times is just astounding to me. You don't get a score like this against this type of talent without a complete failure by the coaches. SP isn't Charlotte Catholic. Their QB is run first, their offense is run first. They literally ran the ball all night. It's just astonishing how they never made any adjustments lol.

This!!!

The SP QB should have gotten hit every single play. Even when he didn't have the ball. The fact that Dudley didn't notice this after the first couple times is just astounding to me. You don't get a score like this against this type of talent without a complete failure by the coaches. SP isn't Charlotte Catholic. Their QB is run first, their offense is run first. They literally ran the ball all night. It's just astonishing how they never made any adjustments lol.
I thought it was more so a sign of arrogance on the Dudley side of coaching from someone. I read it as “we have better athletes so we are just gonna out athlete SP with our defensive speed.” The issue with defending SP is that they will use their opponents speed and ball chasing against you. It’s all about assignment defensive football. Also those big boys on Dudley’s d-line were done about 2mins into the 4th qtr. This is why I say that a lack of a competitive conference schedule can be detrimental come playoff time.

I thought it was more so a sign of arrogance on the Dudley side of coaching from someone. I read it as “we have better athletes so we are just gonna out athlete SP with our defensive speed.” The issue with defending SP is that they will use their opponents speed and ball chasing against you. It’s all about assignment defensive football. Also those big boys on Dudley’s d-line were done about 2mins into the 4th qtr. This is why I say that a lack of a competitive conference schedule can be detrimental come playoff time.
I was thinking arrogance as well. But that's hard to judge. What's not hard to judge is incompetence. And last night it was thoroughly on display. I hate talking like this because I feel like it takes away from the victor, but there's no way with the talent that Dudley had that SP should score 60 points on them running the exact same plays.

I was thinking arrogance as well. But that's hard to judge. What's not hard to judge is incompetence. And last night it was thoroughly on display. I hate talking like this because I feel like it takes away from the victor, but there's no way with the talent that Dudley had that SP should score 60 points on them running the exact same plays.
That film breakdown for the coaches on the defensive side of the ball is going to be painful to watch lol.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
It’s true…no 4a teams offense should score 53 points on their defense…much less a 3a teams
Likewise, No defense should hold their offense below 50…but both happened.
From what I’m told- Their offense avgd nearly 475 yards and 40 points coming into the game basically playing 3 quarters most of the year.

I think some can be contributed to the players being gassed and in shock. They aren't use to or did they expect to get hosed like that.

There are still crickets this morning in GB asking quietly to themselves how last night happened.

• Haha
Reactions: LC3III
I think some can be contributed to the players being gassed and in shock. They aren't use to or did they expect to get hosed like that.

There are still crickets this morning in GB asking quietly to themselves how last night happened.
Shock was definitely a big factor during the initial SP run. But after halftime, I think it was a lack of adjustment. The players were rested after the break, but no adjustments were made. They continued to do the same thing expecting different results. It's why @shutdownD24 thinks arrogance could be at play. I think it's incompetence. But overall, a lot of people are just bewildered at what happened. SP seen what was working and continued down the path of success. Some teams would deviate from that and shoot themselves in the foot. SP didn't.

Wonder where the Dudley fan is who posted last week We can't wait for Kings Mountain?
It's part of that arrogance others have spoke about. That's what rubbed me the wrong way last year and what makes last night so sweet. I KNEW they didnt see the real SP last year and they convinced themselves SP as a program was below them.

Wake up kids, we've been whooping asses with 180 linemen for years.

I agree 73. i spoke to some Dudley personnel as I was leaving and he said we had a great team and was very kind about it. It was my third trip to their stadium (first time was visiting when Charlotte Catholic played) Always felt safe while in the stadium even though they are located in a rougher part of town and never worried that the game might turn either set of fans ugly.

The hard thing was passing by the fielld house right when the Dudley team was returning. You could see the loss, a big one at home, had really hit them hard. One guy had been crying as his face had that full feature look with the wet dampness around the eyes. I wondered if it was a senior and remembered how we felt last year...so please take it easy on the players as they are the sons of a family and have their dreams as well. They could have given up when we went up 48 -29 or at 55-35 but they continued to play and get what points they could.
Dudley players, coaches and fans are always first class!

Keep up with the game on twitter but didn’t get to watch it. How was the size of Dudley on the D-line
I watched it while listening to the Crest game and midway thru the second Dudley lines on both sides of the ball where tired and out of shape..and Sp imposed there will

SP did what they do. Pound, pound, pound until Dudley lost their will to compete. FB dive, QB keeper, plus throw in a couple passes for TD’s and poor ole Dudley didn’t know what to do. Crest gonna have the same problems next week. Hard to stop SP when clicking on all cylinders.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
After seeing this score my first thought was I'm glad you guys are 3a now .

Dudley had only given up 61pts threw 11 games then boom 74 on a rainy night 😂that’s why I love HS football..

Lookin like it might be a bit chilly Friday night. You pony boys better bring your coats. Low 40’s maybe upper 30’s at kickoff.

Hats off to your Red Raiders, Ms. Sasha, and hoping the ride back to Gastonia was filled with pleasantries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT