ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Basketball

Crazy game in swain bunch of fans for swain got thrown out, Swains Groenewold got 2 T's and got ejected, hayesville boys beat swain for the third time this year 80-55
Hayesville starting to look like a legit title contender if they keep playing at this level.
I think pretty much since the Christmas tournament--when they beat the WHC's current first place team by 40--you could tell that potential is there. But most years there are a handful of teams that are all good enough to win a title and it also takes a lot of good bounces--drawing good matchups, people staying healthy, not getting in foul trouble, etc. They do have a lot going for them, though-- they're going to play hard, they're going to be well-coached, they're going to be able handling pressure D like they don't see in the mountains because they have an elite high school point guard (usually the biggest problem for SMC teams come playoff time), they've got a big man that is going to be a problem for most teams.

Don't know what happened with the braves this year, just very inconsistent, didn't think they would finish last

Reactions: BK13T-$
I would've like to see Franklin boys and Hayesville play.
Me too. Franklin must have got a wake up call losing twice at Cherokee's tournament...they've been killing people ever since. But I understand not wanting to take chances with buses on that mountain on a cold day where it had snowed earlier.

I would've like to see Franklin boys and Hayesville play.
I’ve watched both. Can’t honestly say who would win, but if both teams played their A game, I think Franklin wins by 20. Franklin has size, shooters, and very athletic. Hayesville has the big 2 and some decent role players. I watched Franklin and Bishop in the tournament. Bishop has a solid team. Very surprised at the little guard(not sure the name), doesn’t look like a basketball player but was knocking down 3’s and attacking the paint. Franklin was in it without the Green kid, but just went cold in the fourth. That being said, not sure either have what it takes to bring home some hardware.

Hayesville beat them in a scrimmage early in the year. Franklin doesn't play defense which makes it hard for them to match up with Hayesville. Plus hayesville's two best are much better than Franklin's duo. Hayesvilles Center wins the matchup with Franklin's kid which is a huge advantage.

I think Franklin center has a better overall game. Mid range is very good and can knock down the three. Both good players no doubt, but I think you are a little biased.

Biased yes for sure but mctaggart has dominated him the throughout their careers they have played plenty. Sure miles shoots it a little better but isn't near the athlete, defender or rebounder mctaggart is.

I guess we’ll never know about this year, but i still stand by my assumption. Franklin wins big if both bring their A game. Too much depth, more athletic, more experienced, and have the size to neutralize Jake. I’m pulling for both to do well, but neither will bring home any hardware.

I think it’s hard to say Franklin doesn’t play defense defense when they just closed out by holding the 3 next best teams in their league to 38, 58, and 41. And those weren’t low scoring, hold the ball games—Franklin scored 85, 89, and 75 in those games. I do think, like most teams where the strength is the front court, they can be vulnerable to pressure, which is how Swain got them the first time and I’m assuming how things got out of hand against Lincoln Charter. Hayesville can turn on the pressure with some pretty good guards, too. But you may be right BlackCat about if they both played their A game—Franklin when they’re clicking destroys people. It would be fun to watch and I’m not so sure they would shut down McTaggart—he scored 30 or so on the same guys at Franklin when he was a sophomore. I think the more important question for who has better playoff hopes is who wins when neither is on their A game. I think that’s Hayesville.

I think it’s hard to say Franklin doesn’t play defense defense when they just closed out by holding the 3 next best teams in their league to 38, 58, and 41. And those weren’t low scoring, hold the ball games—Franklin scored 85, 89, and 75 in those games. I do think, like most teams where the strength is the front court, they can be vulnerable to pressure, which is how Swain got them the first time and I’m assuming how things got out of hand against Lincoln Charter. Hayesville can turn on the pressure with some pretty good guards, too. But you may be right BlackCat about if they both played their A game—Franklin when they’re clicking destroys people. It would be fun to watch and I’m not so sure they would shut down McTaggart—he scored 30 or so on the same guys at Franklin when he was a sophomore. I think the more important question for who has better playoff hopes is who wins when neither is on their A game. I think that’s Hayesville.
I honestly think Franklin is better than how they played vs. Lincoln Charter. I think, only from an outsider, they weren't expecting LCS to be as athletic, quick, and better than they were. It wasn't much of a game after the 4-5 minute mark in 1st quarter I watched Franklin before the LCS game and thought they could compete with LCS or even Richmond because they play tough and smart. They have skilled players but they do struggle with pressure. I haven't seen Hayesville, the same holds true with them when they meet athletic teams in playoffs, so I'm not sure who would have the advantage. I would have liked to have watched that game as I'm assuming the two best mountain teams this year. Good luck to both teams going into the playoffs.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I honestly think Franklin is better than how they played vs. Lincoln Charter...They have skilled players but they do struggle with pressure. I haven't seen Hayesville, the same holds true with them when they meet athletic teams in playoffs, so I'm not sure who would have the advantage. I would have liked to have watched that game as I'm assuming the two best mountain teams this year. Good luck to both teams going into the playoffs.
I think AC Reynolds and Hendersonville would probably argue with saying Hayesville and Franklin are the two best mountain teams, but they're definitely both in the conversation. I think Hayesville will be OK when they start seeing more athletic teams--for one I don't know that Hayesville will run into a more athletic big in the 1A playofss than what they have. He's a 6-6 Charlotte tight end commit who attacks the rim pretty hard and was 1A basketball player of the year in Georgia last year. They also run a lot of four-guard stuff with a point guard who turned down offers from some D1 service academies and signed with a D2 school in Florida, which will make them harder to speed up/turn over with pressure than your typical SMC team. Against Mountain Island Charter in the playoffs last year, they didn't struggle as much against their pressure as their length--MIC was able to extend their half court 1-3-1 really far and take away the 3 because Hayesville didn't have much interior scoring to get to the heart of it and keep it more honest. I think with the 6-6 kid moving back home that won't be as much of an issue this year. And they still had the ball with a chance to send that game to OT. I'm looking forward to the playoffs to see what they can do against teams from farther east. For what it's worth, I believe they beat Carolina International--who looks like they're going to go undefeated in conference play and be the #1 seed from one of Charlotte charter conferences--at the NCBCA Live Period event last summer.

Last edited:
I think AC Reynolds and Hendersonville would probably argue with saying Hayesville and Franklin are the two best mountain teams, but they're definitely both in the conversation. I think Hayesville will be OK when they start seeing more athletic teams--for one I don't know that Hayesville will run into a more athletic big in the 1A playofss than what they have. He's a 6-6 Charlotte tight end commit who attacks the rim pretty hard and was 1A basketball player of the year in Georgia last year. They also run a lot of four-guard stuff with a point guard who turned down offers from some D1 service academies and signed with a D2 school in Florida, which will make them harder to speed up/turn over with pressure than your typical SMC team. Against Mountain Island Charter in the playoffs last year, they didn't struggle as much against their pressure as their length--MIC was able to extend their half court 1-3-1 really far and take away the 3 because Hayesville didn't have much interior scoring to get to the heart of it and keep it more honest. I think with the 6-6 kid moving back home that won't be as much of an issue this year. And they still had the ball with a chance to send that game to OT. I'm looking forward to the playoffs to see what they can do against teams from farther east. For what it's worth, I believe they beat Carolina International--who looks like they're going to go undefeated in conference play and be the #1 seed from one of Charlotte charter conferences--at the NCBCA Live Period event last summer.
When I think of the western mountains I think of SMC teams. Sorry! For sure NONE of the teams in that area could play with AC Reynolds or Hendersonville. Mountain Island Charter was not as strong as their record (conference was down) and beat them in playoffs. Also, I saw where Hayesville struggled with Murphy, Swain and Robbinsville this year. If they are allowing those teams to play against them, well, they may struggle with athletic teams.(my opinion). The 1A west is not as strong this year as Mount Airy, Winston-Salem Prep, North Rowan, Thomasville , Uwharrie Charter will be the only threat. But that is why they play the game. Best of luck to Hayesville and personally hoping they get out of the early playoffs this round and make a run.

Those three games where they struggled they were missing anywhere from 1-3 players and I know the murphy game not only were they missing 2 players several played sick.

As well I genuinely think that while Hayesville may not win against a Reynolds or a Hendersonville I don't think they would get run out of the gym. Hayesville is very rare especially in the smc in that they have two legitimate college level players.

Against Robbinsville they had everyone both games. Not that it matters. Both games were competitive somewhat. At home we a had a real chance. Tuesday @ Hayesville was a 7 point game late in the third then they pulled away. Best of luck going forward, would love to see a SMC team represent!

Same starting lineup both games. We were missing players both games as well, if we’re talking full roster. Neither were missing any significant bodies is all I was saying. But nice try

#20 plays as much if not more than other starters for Hayesville. Starting lineups don't mean much, ending five lineups do.

#20 plays as much if not more than other starters for Hayesville. Starting lineups don't mean much, ending five lineups do.
That’s good to know! Thanks for the enlightenment...You didn’t like my opinion and that’s fine, you don’t have too. I stand by it. Wish I was wrong and will gladly eat crow, just don’t see it happening. More importantly, I don’t want to hear excuses on why you’ve had some close games in conference.

Not excuses just factual things that have happened when at full strength hayesville has only had one game within 20 points. You say if you were wrong you would gladly eat crow. Fact is you are wrong hayesville was missing a key player the first time they played at robbinsville.

When I think of the western mountains I think of SMC teams. Sorry! For sure NONE of the teams in that area could play with AC Reynolds or Hendersonville. Mountain Island Charter was not as strong as their record (conference was down) and beat them in playoffs. Also, I saw where Hayesville struggled with Murphy, Swain and Robbinsville this year. If they are allowing those teams to play against them, well, they may struggle with athletic teams.(my opinion). The 1A west is not as strong this year as Mount Airy, Winston-Salem Prep, North Rowan, Thomasville , Uwharrie Charter will be the only threat. But that is why they play the game. Best of luck to Hayesville and personally hoping they get out of the early playoffs this round and make a run.
I get that. Although for the record, Hendersonville was an SMC team in the late 90s and early 2000s. They also had some really good playoff battles with SMC teams after they left the SMC but before they went 2A. (had a thriller with Murphy in 2009 sectional final and hit a last minute 3 to beat Nantahala in regionals in 2010). My hot take is that, after watching the R-S Central/Hendersonville game on NFHS the other night, I do think Hayesville could play with Hendersonville (although I think they would struggle with R-S Central). But I guess we will never know.

As far as who the threats are, I think people are sleeping on Bessemer City. Good size and quickness, and knocked off Shelby (consistent 2A contender and projected 3-seed in 2A west) the other night to share that conference title.

Not excuses just factual things that have happened when at full strength hayesville has only had one game within 20 points. You say if you were wrong you would gladly eat crow. Fact is you are wrong hayesville was missing a key player the first time they played at robbinsville.
Look, whatever makes you feel better I guess. Most people make excuses after a loss, but you took it to a new level lol! Robbinsville played you tough, doesn’t matter if TM was out or not. You were not winning that game by 20+ with him! That’s a FACT! And I’ll only eat crow if you win it all. Which I don’t think will happen.

Reactions: therealsquid
Y'all did play us tough that is fair the Adams boys are both great players. Rville should compete for a conference title next year. People around the state will never understand how tough smc road games are. Other conferences around the state switch up teams every reclassification. The SMC have currently had the same six teams in the conference since before I was born haha. There have been some like Rosman and others that have came in and out over the years but the core has remained the same. With that said smc road games in football and basketball are always gonna be tough as all the teams have so much history against one another. Yet I will keep saying it until they lose to a team they shouldn't the Hayesville boys when they have there top 8 or 9 guys available and healthy are 20 points better than every team in the conference A game against A game.

No Hayesville fan here at all, but every team has a bad night. Fact is, those extremely few SMC teams that played Hayesville close if the game was played ten times they would still lose ten times, and several games would indeed be blowouts. Hayesville is going to have a hard time winning the whole thing, but anyone who doesn't see they are heads and shoulders above the rest of us in the conference at this point is just willfully ignorant. It is possible that someone in conference beats them, but it would take a flawless and perfect game on both sides of the ball to do so
Yeah, I know of two we had 😜 I’m just going on. But really, an excuse for why you didn’t win by 20? I just don’t see them as who he says they are. Nothing more, nothing less. And I’m definitely not ignorant, a team with the 2 best players should be better than everyone else. Head and shoulders....not so much!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT