ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby and Reidsville in this Century

rambbq

Nov 13, 2002
Reidsville, NC
Just waiting for True Dynasty and Lion Attack to pounce...but to me this shows how both teams have dominated 2A football in this century so far......Since 2000:

Reidsville 255 Wins.....39 Losses.....8 state titles and 2 state runner-ups......

Shelby 239 Wins.....60 Losses......8 state titles and 2 state runner-ups..

Now awaiting the slings and arrows from the 2 posters above who will tell me how useless and misguided this info is......the floor is yours....lol................

Reactions: seadog28
Also interesting to note that in the time frame Shelby Defense has pitched 32 Shutouts...Reidsville Defense 74.......will admit that overall Shelby has faced stiffer comp at times more than the Rams................

Lincolnton is a combined 3-3 against these two great programs in playoff matchups, all since 2000. 1-1 vs Shelby and 2-2 vs Reidsville. All six games were on the road. My senior year (2001) we beat both of you guys before losing at Cummings in round 4. Just throwing this info out there.

Two historic programs that I respect greatly. Wish we’d get away from the split classes so you two could meet more often. Congrats on your success.

yeah that was a very good Lincolnton team in 2001....after L'ton beat Reidsville myself and The Mule went to Burlington when the Wolves played Cummings...was pulling for L'ton but Cavs pulled it out with a late FG if I remember right...

yeah that was a very good Lincolnton team in 2001....after L'ton beat Reidsville myself and The Mule went to Burlington when the Wolves played Cummings...was pulling for L'ton but Cavs pulled it out with a late FG if I remember right...

I’m afraid you are correct. Last second field goal after a blown coverage. Heartbreaker.

Just waiting for True Dynasty and Lion Attack to pounce...but to me this shows how both teams have dominated 2A football in this century so far......Since 2000:

Reidsville 255 Wins.....39 Losses.....8 state titles and 2 state runner-ups......

Now awaiting the slings and arrows from the 2 posters above who will tell me how useless and misguided this info is......the floor is yours....lol................
JUST SCHEDULE A HOME AND HOME ALREADY!! GEEZ

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMule
I'll take it LA.

Interesting thead....I decided to dig a little deeper and went back about 50 years....about half a century. Since 1971...

Reidsville 8 state titles and 2 state runner-ups......
(That's funny....added 30 years but no change...no additions?)

Shelby 15 state titles and 6 state runner-ups
(7 additional state championships and 4 additional runner ups.)

Man, the 70's, 80's and 90's weren't good to Reidsville. What happened?

Analytics ain’t my thing. The only thing that matters to me is that Reidsville and Shelby met three times in this time span, and we are 3-1 vs the Rams, and the team with the most shutouts, albeit against lesser comp, was almost shutout themselves in our last two meetings, never scoring any touchdowns, offensively, and that wasn’t an aberration.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that was the point of this thread.
Nah, he just genuinely wanted to point out how great Reidsville and Shelby both were/are.:rolleyes: All of these type of threads have an agenda favoring the thread starter’s program.

Call me, “The Trigger Man” from here on out, though.
BBQ Man, seemingly a good dude, I might add, quoted my post, wished everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and said he was done until the New Year, if I am remembering correctly, only to create this thread minutes later, a thread that has been previously created 235678990 times already.

Last edited:
But boy they are BRIGHT now
Another one who wished everyone Happy Holidays, and said he was logging out.
Log out duration time = Never. You’re the type of person who announces he’s leaving Facebook, only to post a selfie two hours later. You’re alright with me, though, Ramfan.

Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
At my guy @tarheel fan1 , no more Reidsville vs Shelby football talk for me. This will be the first time in awhile that I will follow SHS Basketball, which we are expecting to be good this year. I understand Reidsville, with Strange and Edwards added to the lineup with Pass, should be very good. Should be an interesting year in hoops.

At my guy @tarheel fan1 , no more Reidsville vs Shelby football talk for me. This will be the first time in awhile that I will follow SHS Basketball, which we are expecting to be good this year. I understand Reidsville, with Strange and Edwards added to the lineup with Pass, should be very good. Should be an interesting year in hoops.

Yeah, I'll follow rams hoops. The basketball board is boring though.

Both teams have a lot to be excited about next year in football.

Reactions: Lion Attack
I'll take it LA.

Interesting thead....I decided to dig a little deeper and went back about 50 years....about half a century. Since 1971...

Reidsville 8 state titles and 2 state runner-ups......
(That's funny....added 30 years but no change...no additions?)

Shelby 15 state titles and 6 state runner-ups
(7 additional state championships and 4 additional runner ups.)

Man, the 70's, 80's and 90's weren't good to Reidsville. What happened?

We gave you guys 30 years to catch up. What happened?

We gave you guys 30 years to catch up. What happened?

You didn't give us anything. You just had a sorry program for 3 straight decades....30 straight years. I wonder if in 1970 when Reidsville won their last one and started the STREAK....if fans thought to themselves...."We're not gonna win another one for over 30 years because a single unified champion is gonna be crowned for many years to come. We aren't gonna win another one until there is subdivision within the classifications to make it easier."

You guys are all about streaks...wonder where the Reidsville 30 year absence from championship play STREAK ranks in NC.

Reidsville's overall record from 1971 thru 2001 season was 222 wins 124 losses.........10 of those seasons Reidsville was in 4A as one of, if not the smallest 4A school in the state...........again we don't apologize for our success....We respect Shelby....it would be nice if the respect went both ways....you are one of the few that can't do it for some reason....Peace out.............................................

You didn't give us anything. You just had a sorry program for 3 straight decades....30 straight years. I wonder if in 1970 when Reidsville won their last one and started the STREAK....if fans thought to themselves...."We're not gonna win another one for over 30 years because a single unified champion is gonna be crowned for many years to come. We aren't gonna win another one until there is subdivision within the classifications to make it easier."

You guys are all about streaks...wonder where the Reidsville 30 year absence from championship play STREAK ranks in NC.

Yawn. Id make excuses, too, if I had 30 years to catch up to Reidsville and couldnt.

Hell, Robbinsville did a better job of playing catch up in that span of time.

Yawn. Id make excuses, too, if I had 30 years to catch up to Reidsville and couldnt.

Hell, Robbinsville did a better job of playing catch up in that span of time.

THIRTY YEARS....that's like 2 generations. 1990...so we haven't made it in 20 years...think we got a shot this year...na....not till they subdivide again....like 10 more years? Yeah....maybe.

Thirty years....a championship 10 years before I was born and two years before my dad played in one then not another until after I had personally played in two, graduated high school and was halfway through college.....that is LOOOOONNNNGGG time.

THIRTY YEARS....that's like 2 generations. 1990...so we haven't made it in 20 years...think we got a shot this year...na....not till they subdivide again....like 10 more years? Yeah....maybe.

Thirty years....a championship 10 years before I was born and two years before my dad played in one then not another until after I had personally played in two, graduated high school and was halfway through college.....that is LOOOOONNNNGGG time.

The fact it takes 3 of you jabronis to come up with this broken record response says a lot about the quality of a Shelby High education. That must be why such a die hard Lion sends his kids to Crest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shelby plays way better non con games .

Reactions: Lion Attack
Yes, but I remember the schedule. Plus ram bbq said starting in 2000. My point was I doubt he knew anything about Reidsville schedule back then.
16 win difference since 2000. Hell, y’all held that pathetic conference you guys play in scoreless for two years in a row, ‘18 and ‘19. That’s 14 wins alone.

Last edited:
16 win difference since 2000. Hell, y’all held that pathetic conference you guys play in scoreless for two years in a row, that’s 14 wins alone.

Lol this is true. I'm not debating that the stats would be closer. Obviously its skewed in Reidsville favor.The conference has been bad for at least 5 years or more.I don't expect anyone to score next season either. Then you have the county foes that won't be good either next year. I'm hoping Hpc is gone off the schedule. Eastern Guilford will be a lot better next season and East Surry will still be a contender in 1a, but we def need to add another hard hitter in that bunch.

At least in one point in time Reidsville had the toughest conference in 2a.

Cleveland county football is a different animal. Can we incorporate Reidsville into the part of cleveland county near Gaffney?

Reactions: seadog28
If a rival Association had not existed from 1930 to 1976 it is very doubtful Reidsville would have 1/2 of their titles.
For example, the 1963 Reidsville title team lost to Thomasville who failed to make the Western Association four team playoff at that time. Think about that.
Reidsville had 47 Years to duck competition against many of the best same size public schools in the state.

Look how many former western association programs have dominated playoff and championship runs since 1977.
Reidsville only started winning titles again when subdivision occurred in 2001 and cut the competition in half within Reidsville's classification.

That is no coincidence.

The case could be made that winning the rival Association was much more difficult than winning the state association across those 47 years.
And speaking of competition, it remains harder to win Cleveland county then it is to win the state title. And we play each other every year regardless of classification.

If a rival Association had not existed from 1930 to 1976 it is very doubtful Reidsville would have 1/2 of their titles.
For example, the 1963 Reidsville title team lost to Thomasville who failed to make the Western Association four team playoff at that time. Think about that.
Reidsville had 47 Years to duck competition against many of the best same size public schools in the state.

Look how many former western association programs have dominated playoff and championship runs since 1977.
Reidsville only started winning titles again when subdivision occurred in 2001 and cut the competition in half within Reidsville's classification.

That is no coincidence.

The case could be made that winning the rival Association was much more difficult than winning the state association across those 47 years.
And speaking of competition, it remains harder to win Cleveland county then it is to win the state title. And we play each other every year regardless of classification.

Champion, what you say is true. However, being the New England Patriots of North Carolina must be uncomfortable!

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Two great 2A programs - my only wish is that the 2 could've met up a few more times when they both had great teams...

I think all 4 match-ups have occurred while one team was "up" and the other was in "rebuilding" mode so to speak.

Maybe 2005 featured both great teams, but in 2007 Shelby made it to the championship on sure effort and will and Reidsville was a powerhouse that year...in 2013 and 2014 Shelby was very good and Reidsville was in rebuilding mode.

Any other year, when they didn't play each other, it's an unknown...

It would be neat to look up the SOS each year, and the combined opponents records each season...but the conference each plays in and the level of talent in the conference isn't either team's fault.

Two great 2A programs - my only wish is that the 2 could've met up a few more times when they both had great teams...

I think all 4 match-ups have occurred while one team was "up" and the other was in "rebuilding" mode so to speak.

Maybe 2005 featured both great teams, but in 2007 Shelby made it to the championship on sure effort and will and Reidsville was a powerhouse that year...in 2013 and 2014 Shelby was very good and Reidsville was in rebuilding mode.

Any other year, when they didn't play each other, it's an unknown...

It would be neat to look up the SOS each year, and the combined opponents records each season...but the conference each plays in and the level of talent in the conference isn't either team's fault.
The loser of this game will always say, “but, that wasn’t one of our better teams”, which is a bullshit excuse. Believe you me, in those 13 and 14 years, Reidsville posters were in those threads talking with confidence, and we had to travel there for a reason, because they were the higher seed. When the stars aligned, and we played each other, we got the better of them in all but one game, period.

No need to give them a “cop out”. You think they’d say what you said for us? No! They would gloat about those victories till this day, just as we do. They never lose a game as is according to them, there’s always an excuse that follows, “wasn’t one of our better teams”, the refs, injuries, wrong defensive scheme, which is what they used as an excuse for East Surry this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT