ADVERTISEMENT

Scotland @ Hoggard

scotswin

Sep 16, 2003
Laurinburg, NC
Fantastic week 2 matchup set to take place in Wilmington Friday night. This will be the 6th time the 2
have played since 2014 but all have been in Laurinburg since the 2014 playoff game. The greatest of these
an epic east final won by the Scots in 2017 47-46 in OT. Hoggard won at Pate Stadium 24-7 in a game they controlled
most of the way last year. Can the Scots get some quick payback for last year or will the Vikings win another. Appears
the home team will be a solid favorite here but Scotland will surely bring it Friday night as well as a big traveling crowd.
I for one will be heading toward the beach Wednesday evening making a long weekend out of this to support the
Scots and get some sand time. Both are 1-0 coming in after blowouts in week 1. Thoughts, predictions!???????
GO SCOTS

Could the two big Wilmington schools lose by 40 in consecutive weeks? 👀
Was surprised to see NB only up 13-3 on NH at the half. Thought it would be over at the half.
As for this game, Hoggard will be fortunate to score. Hoggards QB was 20-23 last week but that was all luck. The Scots will be able to do what they want against a weak front 7.

From what I can gather that weak front 7 is the strong part of the Vikings team and the 20-23 most
qbs could have done that against that competition. The Scot qb was 11-12 and 2tds against some
similar competition. So with all that aside, I do expect Scotland to have to be able to complete
the forward pass in this matchup to be successful. That can open up some lanes for that Scotland
run game that we are so accustomed to. Not a big running back for the Scots this year but 2-3
quality scat type backs. Primus #2 maybe the best of the bunch can make a big play for you.
This game has the capability to be a very good one....Lets hope the Scots can find a way to keep it
close and have a shot in the 4th.

Reactions: Grey-Green and Gold
It appears the Scots will look to throw the ball more than they have in the past. They have some quality WRs. Hoggard will bring a lot of pressure from the edges. They have two very good DEs. I see a lot of quick passes from SC and they will take some shots. Hoggard will look to force some turnovers with pressure without blitzing much. Hoggards 3 LBs are probably the best group they have had since the 07 group. I feel the defense will play well and do what they do. The big question for me is how will the offense play. SC alway has great speed and will the Vikes be about to adjust and execute. If the new QB has time he will make the throws. Should be fun and I’m looking forward to a great game.

Was surprised to see NB only up 13-3 on NH at the half. Thought it would be over at the half.
As for this game, Hoggard will be fortunate to score. Hoggards QB was 20-23 last week but that was all luck. The Scots will be able to do what they want against a weak front 7.
3 turnovers and breaking in a new full-time QB will do that to you. Good luck on Friday.

Here’s a little Hoggard-SC history.
1979 - 12-7 SC
1980 - 14-7 SC
2014 - 24-21 Hoggard
2016 - 49-27 SC
2017 - 47-46 OT SC
2019- 40-13 SC
2021 - 24-7 Hoggard

It appears the Scots will look to throw the ball more than they have in the past. They have some quality WRs. Hoggard will bring a lot of pressure from the edges. They have two very good DEs. I see a lot of quick passes from SC and they will take some shots. Hoggard will look to force some turnovers with pressure without blitzing much. Hoggards 3 LBs are probably the best group they have had since the 07 group. I feel the defense will play well and do what they do. The big question for me is how will the offense play. SC alway has great speed and will the Vikes be about to adjust and execute. If the new QB has time he will make the throws. Should be fun and I’m looking forward to a great game.
Best wr group he's ever coached at Scotland and maybe the best wr group he's ever coached period... his words, not mine

JV score
Hoggard 21
SC 16
Just my opinion, but I think the 2nd and 3rd strings that Scotland (and other teams) have on Varsity to "ride the bench" are not doing those players any good... let them play JV and hone their skills to be that much greater the coming up years. But just bringing them up so you'll have a plan "C" is not fair to the player. Not saying the outcome would be different but the players would gets some time in on some good competition.

Reactions: ncjeff
18-8 Hoggard wins.
Fun game to watch as both teams played hard. Hoggard fumbled a punt deep in their own territory was the only score the defense gave up. SC has a nice passing game and they looked impressive. Hoggard completed shut down the Scott’s running attack (-39 yards rushing) Good luck to the Scots the rest of the way.

Hoggard did indeed shut the run down , Scotland showed alot of promise in the passing game . Hoggards 2 tds came on long passes over 60 yds.One the defender fell down and the other a blown coverage and a wide open receiver deep . Hoggard kicked a fg in the final minute . Good hard nose game
Didn’t get many breaks from the stripes on the road. Starting qb for scot hurt off and on the entire second half didnt help the scots… good win for hoggard

Didn’t get many breaks from the stripes on the road.

What about the two incomplete calls on options plays that hit the ground with the RB lined up behind the QB. Or the strip sack that was called down which might have been on of the worse calls I have ever seen. Plus half a dozen PI calls some on balls that were not even close to be catchable?

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Hoggard had at least 5 PI calls against them. A few were good calls. The balls were a bit under thrown and the Hoggard CBs just weren’t turning to find the ball. The fact that Hoggard CBs did not turn and play the ball doesnt take anything away from SC completing those passes. I would say the Scots got some calls. The QB sack strip was a fumble, period. A few of those quick tosses to the RB could have been laterals.
13 was the best player on the field and in the second half he was really good. SC was holding him, they could not block him. Thats not you guys not getting calls, its holding. When you say you had 2 TD called back its not because the refs are trying to screw you. One called back TD, 13 was blocked from behind or he would have sacked the QB and then the QB was 3 yards past the LOS when he threw it. I would say those are important details and that would be a big advantage to be able to do. Hoggards completed passes were no less relevant than SC. When Hoggard guys gets turned around and misplay the pass its still good execution on SC part but when SC does it than its piss for Hoggard. I thought both teams played hard and well and there are good players making plays on both sides. Not hearing much love for Hoggards effort on any of the boards, just a bunch of coulda shouldas. Hoggard has held SC to 15 points in the last two games and that is impressive. Hoggard held SC to neg 39 yards rushing. I don’t think I have ever seen that as this is one of the best running programs in the state. Hoggards last drive is what winning programs are all about. Up 15-8 with 6 mins left they run between the tackles and pick up 4-5 first downs and kill the clock and kick the FG with 20 secs left. That’s beautiful football and SC couldnt stop them. I have always respected the SC program and still do. SC will be fine. The better team won last year and won tonight. No excuses.

Last edited:
I thought I would add this since it hasn’t been posted, Hoggard missed a FG and flat dropped a pick 6. Those would be considered by some, nice breaks.

18-8 Hoggard wins.
Fun game to watch as both teams played hard. Hoggard fumbled a punt deep in their own territory was the only score the defense gave up. SC has a nice passing game and they looked impressive. Hoggard completed shut down the Scott’s running attack (-39 yards rushing) Good luck to the Scots the rest of the way.
Was it a rough 18-8 game or are you satisfied with Hoggard's outcome?

Was it a rough 18-8 game or are you satisfied with Hoggard's outcome
Was it a rough 18-8 game or are you satisfied with Hoggard's outcome?
Hoggard needs to clean some things up. Two fumbled punt returns in two games. The young CBs and safeties need to improve. O line still figuring things out. With that being said I am thrilled with the win. SC is an elite program and any win against them is a great win.

Hoggard had at least 5 PI calls against them. A few were good calls. The balls were a bit under thrown and the Hoggard CBs just weren’t turning to find the ball. The fact that Hoggard CBs did not turn and play the ball doesnt take anything away from SC completing those passes. I would say the Scots got some calls. The QB sack strip was a fumble, period. A few of those quick tosses to the RB could have been laterals.
13 was the best player on the field and in the second half he was really good. SC was holding him, they could not block him. Thats not you guys not getting calls, its holding. When you say you had 2 TD called back its not because the refs are trying to screw you. One called back TD, 13 was blocked from behind or he would have sacked the QB and then the QB was 3 yards past the LOS when he threw it. I would say those are important details and that would be a big advantage to be able to do. Hoggards completed passes were no less relevant than SC. When Hoggard guys gets turned around and misplay the pass its still good execution on SC part but when SC does it than its piss for Hoggard. I thought both teams played hard and well and there are good players making plays on both sides. Not hearing much love for Hoggards effort on any of the boards, just a bunch of coulda shouldas. Hoggard has held SC to 15 points in the last two games and that is impressive. Hoggard held SC to neg 39 yards rushing. I don’t think I have ever seen that as this is one of the best running programs in the state. Hoggards last drive is what winning programs are all about. Up 15-8 with 6 mins left they run between the tackles and pick up 4-5 first downs and kill the clock and kick the FG with 20 secs left. That’s beautiful football and SC couldnt stop them. I have always respected the SC program and still do. SC will be fine. The better team won last year and won tonight. No excuses.
Hoggard made the plays to win the game, simple as that!!! On to Marlboro.

I thought I would add this since it hasn’t been posted, Hoggard missed a FG and flat dropped a pick 6. Those would be considered by some, nice breaks.
Congrats to Hoggard and good luck going forward... this is what I took from the game. Scotland got in their own way with yellow flags Friday night, this is a game that could have and should have been won if they would get their discipline in order. Hoggard is a good team... but I wouldn't beat my chest on that performance... you struggled with a 3a team who played a good number of its players on both sides of the ball... I honestly thought Hoggard would win this game, but by a larger margin than they did (similar to last year)...and If we wanna talk breaks... our db slipped a left the guy wide open, it happens...even in the pros... I think the Scots will do well this year... (3a state champs...i don't know.) but a Strong 3A team. Again Congrats to Hoggard.

Thoughts on New Hanover being up on Butler in the 3rd? They might be better than y’all think. 👀

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT