ADVERTISEMENT

Rabun Gap @ Robbinsville

murphydawg4life

Aug 14, 2001
It seems no-one is saying much about this anticipated matchup. Either everyone thinks its going to be a blowout or not everyone wants to talk about it much. But this seems to be the best contest this week in the SMC since the others looks to be given blowouts. Will Robbinsville line be a factor or does Rabun Gap have to much talent. Thoughts anyone?

I thought it was interesting watching MBA and McCallie play on ESPN Friday night, since Baylor beat them both last year and Rabun Gap beat Baylor a few weeks ago. Robbinsville is 9-0 all time against them, though.

Games like this are hard to predict probably even more than out of state games between two public schools. The way everyone been talking that Rville didn't stand a chance looking up Rabun's pass record I was expecting a juggernaut but what I see has been an average team. They have good 8-4 seasons but a few years back you see 3 & 4 win seasons.
These private schools are difficult to figure out since they play everywhere like Baylor mentioned in Chattanooga TN not only play all over TN but NY ,NJ. Christ school in Arden played home against a team from Tampa FL 625 miles 10 hrs away. How they do that? These private schools have private planes?lol
I can only assume people know more about Rabun that I can see on maxpreps though it does look like they have several players coming back from a 8-4 team including a QB who had good stats last year.

Rabun Gap is ranked 2nd overall in the whole state in NC according to MaxPreps so it shall be interesting especially it being at Big oaks. Big oaks is a hard place to play at and it will be rocking Friday night. I think if Robbinsville keep it close or even win it will be huge. The last thing Robbinsville need it to be a shootout. They need to make a slow Grinding game. Keep there Offence off the field and pound the rock. Robbinsville got the backs to do it. I think Robbinsville should be pretty health to this week hopefully the Bye week couldn't have came at a better time for them should be interesting

Games like this are hard to predict probably even more than out of state games between two public schools. The way everyone been talking that Rville didn't stand a chance looking up Rabun's pass record I was expecting a juggernaut but what I see has been an average team. They have good 8-4 seasons but a few years back you see 3 & 4 win seasons.
These private schools are difficult to figure out since they play everywhere like Baylor mentioned in Chattanooga TN not only play all over TN but NY ,NJ. Christ school in Arden played home against a team from Tampa FL 625 miles 10 hrs away. How they do that? These private schools have private planes?lol
I can only assume people know more about Rabun that I can see on maxpreps though it does look like they have several players coming back from a 8-4 team including a QB who had good stats last year.

I wouldn't judge Rabun Gap by going back more than a few years. Their program has really taken off about the last four years. They didn't even play football until about 15 years ago, and for the first 10 years or so after that they would have some good athletes, but a lot of them were boarding students from other countries and were just learning football. They brought in a coach with ties to IMG (sports-centered boarding school in FL) a few years back and started getting some high-profile transfers. That coach moved on to go back to his alma mater (Atlanta Parkview) but they brought in a state championship coach from out of state to replace him.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I think the closest game they had was back in 2014 Robbinsville had to a goal line stand to win. That was the year Robbinsville went undefeated and Rabun went to play for the state title that year too besides that games haven't been really close

I wouldn't judge Rabun Gap by going back more than a few years. Their program has really taken off about the last four years. They didn't even play football until about 15 years ago, and for the first 10 years or so after that they would have some good athletes, but a lot of them were boarding students from other countries and were just learning football. They brought in a coach with ties to IMG (sports-centered boarding school in FL) a few years back and started getting some high-profile transfers. That coach moved on to go back to his alma mater (Atlanta Parkview) but they brought in a state championship coach from out of state to replace him.
This is the kind of information I was referring to that I wouldn't be able to find online.

They are the real deal folks! This is the best team they've ever had and its loaded with 3 and 4 stars and soon to be a 5 star who right now is the 11th ranked player in the nation as a sophomore. They average 6'4 300 across the front and are very, very athletic! This will be the best team to ever step foot on the hallowed ground at Big Oaks.

RG plays Charlotte Providence Day next to last game of the season. P Day is loaded.

Rabun Gap is a tall task at hand for Robbinsville, but I feel Robbinsville will keep it a 2 score game, Rabun Gap is loaded at every position and will sling the strips of the ball Friday night with their QB. This will be the best team Robbinsville will face all year no matter how far they go into the playoffs.

They are the real deal folks! This is the best team they've ever had and its loaded with 3 and 4 stars and soon to be a 5 star who right now is the 11th ranked player in the nation as a sophomore. They average 6'4 300 across the front and are very, very athletic! This will be the best team to ever step foot on the hallowed ground at Big Oaks.
Sometimes these all-star teams don't have the chemistry to be great team. Robbinsville may surprise them and make a game out of it

I was gonna pick Robbinsville until I read this! But now….ahh wth….I’ll go with Robbinsville anyway! If y’all can run it on them (I think you can, too many excellent backs on your roster not to, and your OL always seems to be good enough), I think you can chew up the clock and keep their offense off the field. Good luck. Hope you guys pull it off.

Knights 28
Rabun Gap 27

Will this be along the lines of the first season Albemarle played Davidson Day in 2013. Albemarle was starting the downward slide but the fans were still believing after the narrow loss to Murphy in the regional final the prior season. Remember stopping off at the game as I was in that area and I knew a few folks at AHS plus the coaches on both sides. Some AHS fans told me they had watched warmups and there was no way DD could handle the running game or the D Front. I knew what they were getting into. Final 60 something to 6. Do not expect anything like that Friday. If I were not already heading to a game in Union County I would go west instead of east and take this one in.

Is there any video of Rabun Gap? I’m interested to see what this super team looks like
Look them up on Maxpreps and there are videos of some of their games. Their QB is legit and has offers from over 30 D1 schools. Their RB is a 4 star RB and transferred in from a 3A power school 71st High School and was an All-State RB there in NC. There is a lot of talent across the board on this team... Tall task ahead for Robbinsville to pull out this victory.

Rabun Gap has 680 students 7th-12th grade. Considered CLASS 1A. Private College Prep school. Tuition is 59,200 boarding or 22,500 day students. Have players on roster from NC, SC, GA GERMANY, UK, CHINA, KOREA, TURKEY, BELGIUM, FRANCE, MEXICO, MISSISSIPPI, PORTUGAL, GHANA AND CANADA! 90 miles from Atlanta in Blue Ridge Mountains.

Last edited:
Robinsville is one of if not the best public 1A programs in the state. I expect them to compete or maybe win it again this year. That said this isn’t the RG program of old. I think Robinsville will play hard but the main thing for them imo in this game is to stay healthy for the bigger picture. That said I think RG wins this one by a decent margin and they should, they are picking players from everywhere. No shame in it for Robinsville, and to be clear I’m not knocking Robinsville I think they have a great team and it says a lot they were even willing to schedule this game. I think RG program of today beats every public school in WNC. That said I hope I’m wrong and Robinsville gets the win for imo what would be a big upset

Just curious who is the player ranked #11?

From the Rabun website...
Yearly Tuition
$24,900
Tuition is for the highest grade offered and may have changed for the current school year. For more information, please contact the school.
Boarding (Tuition + Boarding)
$60,950 ( thats around $45k or more per year than the tuition + boarding ran when my daughter's went to UNC-Charlotte and NC State. This year NCSU tuition, housing, food, books etc is around $27k)
Received Financial Aid
75%
Average Financial Aid
$25,000
40% of the students are international.
65% of students are boarding students

If you kid wants to play sports there unless you're loaded yourself you'd better hope they're good enough to get a college scholarship. They do have scholarships or grants where some don't have to pay anything but looks like a lot of people are going into debt even just 9-12 they offer
K-12 before they even get to college with an average of $25K per year still leaves $30,950 for boarding students.

Last edited:
Received Financial Aid
75%
Average Financial Aid
$25,000

40% of the students are international.
65% of students are boarding students

If you kid wants to play sports there unless you're loaded yourself you'd better hope they're good enough to get a college scholarship. They do have scholarships or grants where some don't have to pay anything but looks like a lot of people are going into debt even just 9-12 they offer
The financial aid is the "scholarship."

The wealthy students and most likely all (or the vast majority of) the international students are paying full whack.

Robbinsville should be just fine in this one after all yall have 26 State Championship's.....that counts for something.
GIF by Golden State Warriors

Last edited:
Will there be a way to view the game? I do hope Robbinsville does well. It would be a huge confidence builder. The quarterback I seen seems to have a lot of talent for Rabun Gap. It will take a lot of pressure on him and keep him in the pocket to be successful and come out with the win. Anyhow, good luck......

Oh ye of little faith !!
I’ve seen many a top team come into Big Oaks and leave disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT