ADVERTISEMENT

Score Updates

Yeah he does!! Garret Vernon (East Wilkes) WR for Wofford needs to transfer as well, if he's still there.

I talked to a buddy that works over that way (He got these details from someone at the school). Said it was 20 - 14 with NS leading at half. Then 20 - 28 in favor of WC in the beginning of the fourth. They didn't stay for the whole game so that's all the details he had. Seems like a 4th quarter melt down. @Slasher Killer any details you can give?

Main thing that happened was #77 the NC State commit with the supposed broken foot came back and played D line. He was "80 percent." He changed our gameplan on the fly; and we had to pass it way more than usual. We succeeded and it's why the game was close for a good while. It's the most balanced we've been all year. He didn't do much in the first half but he came alive in the 3rd quarter. Take him away and it woulda been a high scoring tossup. They had no answer for us on defense besides him. We had no answer for their QB on defense it evened out. If he gets fully healthy he changes that team for the better on the line. That was their weakpoint last year, he wasn't there and the lineplay stunk. I wouldn't be surprised if they get 2nd place with him there.

It wouldn't really call it a meltdown for us. It was a lot like the MA game but with a better 2nd half offensive performance. Our defense is super young with a lot of 11th and 10th graders, and they aren't used to the grind yet. We had it to 8 points in the 4th with momentum but we got cursed like it always happens with WC at home and they took off. I look forward to the matchup next year down there. They won't have #77 and the rest of those seniors.

But honestly it was the best played game we've had, even better than the Elkin one (we were solidly beat up there.) Offense was consistent all night and we scored twice in the final 3 minutes when we coulda folded. I love their stubbornness.

I look forward to the last 5 weeks. If we keep playing this stubborn and hard fighting we will be very competitive. Gotta make it through Cardinal land next week.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
I drove 4.5 hours yesterday to see Lenoir Rhyne play Eskrine College (42 to 20 LR win). Eskrine is in its 3rd year of football play and had something like half its team made up of portal transfers from D1 and FCS. Kids, parents and high school coaches, imo, make great mistake and disservice thinking MY KID IS GOING D1. Yea right.

Mt Airy has one, yes count it, one true D1 prospect with a chance of playing at that level. Yes, D1 gets all the attention but the majority of our kids, the vast majority of our kids, should consider the LR's, Catawba's, Wingate's, Barton's, Mars Hill's, Chowan's, Winston Salem State's, University of Va-Wise's (Mt Airy's last year running back) etc.
Great educations. Much higher chance of playing.

I take friends and young men to LR and one of the things I try to get them to do is stand with me up close and within reach of the players as they come out of the locker room and I ask them to tell me what they see.
They see MEN Walk OUT. 2 to 4 years in the weight room with professional trainers, eating proper diets and real on field practice. Then I ask them to compare themselves to these MEN. You think you are ready to complete with those guys? And this is upper level D2. Not D1. It is a real eye opener for most.

This post is not to discourage but rather an attempt to instill an element of realism, of truth.
Another truth, almost every high schooler gets "letters" from colleges. DOES NOT MEAN A THING!

Telephone calls are what mean something.
If you are a parent and want to do something good for you son that wants to play at the next level, send him to 2 to 4 camps in the summer and take him to some games. Go early, watch the warm ups, call ahead and talk with the recruiter (they will probably give you tickets and welcome you).

There are more options and opportunities than you think. But remember, the Donavon Greene's and the Steven Gossenll's don't come along often.

I have two sons that were college athletes. One football (4 years but ripped apart PCL) and one wrestling (4 year starter and 3 year Captain of team). I have been there, had the experience, helped quite a few others.

People have no idea of what it takes to play d1 sports and the fact that d1 athletes are for the most part natural athletes that just have it. I appreciate how hard some kids work to get places but sometimes you can work as hard as you want, but it just isn't happening.
People have no idea how great D2 football athletes are or what it takes to be a D2 athlete. Those guys are studs the same as the majority of kids that go D1. So many people say they are to good for D2 ball and let their ego drive them to go to a D1 and stand on the sideline for four years. I blame society (people in social media and message boards), unrealistic parents/players, and recruiting “guru’s” like rivals and 24/7, because all you ever see talked about it pushed is stars and D1. Furthermore, we as adults need to shut up about what kids should or shouldn’t do. It’s not our journey or our right to question or judge. Let the kids and parents go where they are happy.

People have no idea how great D2 football athletes are or what it takes to be a D2 athlete. Those guys are studs the same as the majority of kids that go D1. So many people say they are to good for D2 ball and let their ego drive them to go to a D1 and stand on the sideline for four years. I blame society (people in social media and message boards), unrealistic parents/players, and recruiting “guru’s” like rivals and 24/7, because all you ever see talked about it pushed is stars and D1. Furthermore, we as adults need to shut up about what kids should or shouldn’t do. It’s not our journey or our right to question or judge. Let the kids and parents go where they are happy.

Well said

Reactions: Mhsneer
Well said
Very very well said. Sounds like the one poster is Right for the most part. I work in a business that deals with college sports quite a bit. And as someone who played in college I can tell you it is a different ball game. Everybody was the best player on their high school team. I will say this from what I'm hearing. Mount airy has two legitimate D1 recruits. No preferred walk-on offers is what's his name said. Probably just being a dumbass. Boaz can go play anywhere I hope he does try to play football somewhere because I think he has a special talent. But he's also one heck of a baseball player and we're glad to have him. The Mason kid and the dandy kid will probably the two most D1 ready prospects. I don't know if the read kid can get ready in time. But he has the size speed and strength to do it although he'll probably go somewhere in the realm of a Catawba or Elon or Western. Maybe Lenoir rhymne. The other kid that intrigues me is the defensive back receiver in kicker. I think his brother plays a Presbyterian maybe. He kicks the ball in the end zone almost every time. You don't even see them do that in college very much. So he may have a shot. And he's a very good athlete. Not sure how that works with kickers but if college guys could put it in the end zone every time they would. He does. We have a kid I think that can punt in major college. Brantley. He is exceptional. But most of the time the recruiters aren't going to steer the kids wrong.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Very very well said. Sounds like the one poster is Right for the most part. I work in a business that deals with college sports quite a bit. And as someone who played in college I can tell you it is a different ball game. Everybody was the best player on their high school team. I will say this from what I'm hearing. Mount airy has two legitimate D1 recruits. No preferred walk-on offers is what's his name said. Probably just being a dumbass. Boaz can go play anywhere I hope he does try to play football somewhere because I think he has a special talent. But he's also one heck of a baseball player and we're glad to have him. The Mason kid and the dandy kid will probably the two most D1 ready prospects. I don't know if the read kid can get ready in time. But he has the size speed and strength to do it although he'll probably go somewhere in the realm of a Catawba or Elon or Western. Maybe Lenoir rhymne. The other kid that intrigues me is the defensive back receiver in kicker. I think his brother plays a Presbyterian maybe. He kicks the ball in the end zone almost every time. You don't even see them do that in college very much. So he may have a shot. And he's a very good athlete. Not sure how that works with kickers but if college guys could put it in the end zone every time they would. He does. We have a kid I think that can punt in major college. Brantley. He is exceptional. But most of the time the recruiters aren't going to steer the kids wrong.
And MA returns everyone next year. They are just JRs.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
And MA returns everyone next year. They are just JRs.

Every year since the dawn of time..MA fans be like.

6tuvix.jpg

Let’s change this Thread’s name from
Score Updates to MA Updates !!! That way they can talk about the win all the way till the next game. I think next Friday I will start a thread that is SMC SCORES. That way we don’t have to read through 50 comments about MA just to see how other teams games turned out !!

Last edited:
Who would have ever thought we'd be talking about Andrews being a title contender? If things were still split I'd say they'd be about a guarantee.
I am sure that Mitchell in their wildest dreams never thought A Drew's would improve that much when they signed that deal. Happy for Andrews. They have been in the shadows of the big three for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT