ADVERTISEMENT

Girls Playoff Scores

Charlotte Catholic won 51-44 over Lake Norman. From my understanding Lake Norman girls started out slow and was down 26-8 at HT

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Charlotte Cat was just plain out superior to Lake Norman. Only Sophomore Kelsey Rhyne was able to generate points and plays against the height and toughness of CC, and fouls ultimately limited her play.

Lake Norman was able to come back and got the CC lead down to 5 and had an open point blank layup which would have cut the lead to 3 but missed the shot and then Rhyne "was fouled" out and the chance LN worked so hard to get was gone.

Congrats to CC and good luck.

Of the teams left in the west regional here are their girls' basketball state championship histories as best as I can determine them from MaxPreps and the NCHSAA record books.
In 1A both Cherokee and Mountain Heritage have one state title each (though I think when MH won, they were a 2A school).
In 2A neither East Burke nor Lincoln Charter have ever made a state championship game appearance in girls' basketball. Outside of meets (track, wrestling, cross country, etc.) no East Burke team has ever played for a state title in the school's 50-year history.
In 3A W. Rowan is the defending state champion and that is their only girls' state title in hoops. AC Reynolds has won two girls basketball state titles.
in 4A neither Watauga nor Catholic has been to a girls' state championship game.

I think the girls' hoops championship is the only one in Mountain Heritage history. I know Cherokee has a football championship to go with their girl's title. I don't know what Lincoln Charter has done in other sports and obviously playing for or winning a championship would be a huge deal for East Burke.
Of the 3A and 4A schools all have multiple championships in other sports, but I think Watauga stands out a little. Aside from a football title from the 70s the Pioneers have championships in Cross Country and Track (I've been in their gym and seen their banners, but I don't remember all of their titles, so they might have won in something else). Playing for a title in basketball would be big for Boone and I think they will have a lot of support on Thursday.

Of the teams left in the west regional here are their girls' basketball state championship histories as best as I can determine them from MaxPreps and the NCHSAA record books.
In 1A both Cherokee and Mountain Heritage have one state title each (though I think when MH won, they were a 2A school).
In 2A neither East Burke nor Lincoln Charter have ever made a state championship game appearance in girls' basketball. Outside of meets (track, wrestling, cross country, etc.) no East Burke team has ever played for a state title in the school's 50-year history.
In 3A W. Rowan is the defending state champion and that is their only girls' state title in hoops. AC Reynolds has won two girls basketball state titles.
in 4A neither Watauga nor Catholic has been to a girls' state championship game.

I think the girls' hoops championship is the only one in Mountain Heritage history. I know Cherokee has a football championship to go with their girl's title. I don't know what Lincoln Charter has done in other sports and obviously playing for or winning a championship would be a huge deal for East Burke.
Of the 3A and 4A schools all have multiple championships in other sports, but I think Watauga stands out a little. Aside from a football title from the 70s the Pioneers have championships in Cross Country and Track (I've been in their gym and seen their banners, but I don't remember all of their titles, so they might have won in something else). Playing for a title in basketball would be big for Boone and I think they will have a lot of support on Thursday.
You are correct Mt Heritage girls were 2a in 2019 and it is the only team state championship in the schools history. They have had some individual sports and the football team has been to two of them but that is the only team championship.

Reactions: FreedomAlum

Good stuff what year was Cherokee's girls title?

Reactions: 97Cougar
E Columbus wins 76-66.
#11 is long and athletic for EC. Great player. Scored a lot of points off of offensive rebounds. #20 was another good player in the post.
The 1A teams from the east are just not as fundamentally sound and disciplined, as the west. Ball handling and passing will be a struggle for E Columbus against either Mtn Heritage or Cheroke.
Both teams also lacked defensive intensity.

Congrats to the Gators for moving on.

Cherokee is looking pretty good.
This game is like night and day compared to the east region game (talent wise).

Last edited:
Congrats to MH on a solid year.
E Columbus is going to really struggle with Cherokee’s defensive pressure.
Scary thing is Cherokee returns most of their players next year.

Congrats to MH on a solid year.
E Columbus is going to really struggle with Cherokee’s defensive pressure.
Scary thing is Cherokee returns most of their players next year.
Congratulations to Cherokee. Bring it home for the west. I’m being petty but guess due to three point shooting they would have beat albemarle by 30l lmao

Reactions: FreedomAlum
I thought they were going to beat mountain heritage by 30 for a Lil while. LOL Go Lady Braves!

• Wow
Braves had a lot to do with y'all playing like shit... It was apparent which team was in better shape...state championship was played last Friday at southwest Guilford. Next year I think Cherokee albemarle and union academy will be top 3 in west... Unless rosman star players are returning then they would enter top 3. Heritage north rowan and bishop will drop off IMO due to graduation. I would have liked to see north rowan play Mountaineritage this season that would have been a good game

Braves had a lot to do with y'all playing like shit... It was apparent which team was in better shape...state championship was played last Friday at southwest Guilford. Next year I think Cherokee albemarle and union academy will be top 3 in west... Unless rosman star players are returning then they would enter top 3. Heritage north rowan and bishop will drop off IMO due to graduation. I would have liked to see north rowan play Mountaineritage this season that would have been a good game
Brother I’m not bulldog I give y’all complete credit for us playing like shit don’t try to act like I wasn’t congratulations to Cherokee. I hope they bring it home for the west if you’re trying to act like I wasn’t then piss off because I gave you guys 100% credit for us playing like shit

My bad... I just think bulldog was just taking up for his team... Which is understandable... Any passionate coach would. Not usually on here but I commend him for it. He was right y'all dont usually make 12 3's but with y'all winning by 30 that wasn't much of an argument.

Brother I’m not bulldog I give y’all complete credit for us playing like shit don’t try to act like I wasn’t congratulations to Cherokee. I hope they bring it home for the west if you’re trying to act like I wasn’t then piss off because I gave you guys 100% credit for us playing like shit
You guys made us play at a pace. We were not ready to play yet. Congratulations to you guys. We miss a lot of outside shots. We missed a lot of Inside shots because of rushing shots dou yawls defense.

Reactions: KW23
Unless they get a transfer or 2 or the upcoming freshmen are just phenomenal I dont see bishop as a real contender... With 22 and 14 graduating Jernigan will have to become Caitlin Clark to carry her team against the great teams.. They will obviously win there conference and a lot of games though but I dont see them being title contenders. Jernigan is great so she could dominate some games... She almost beat Cherokee Friday.

I see what you’re saying but I disagree. Bishop is going to be competitive with Jernigan and Coach Robinson will always have a competitive team.
Cherokee should be the favorite next year.

W Rowan beats ACR 66-54. Congrats on the victory. Proud of our Rocket girls, 3’s didn’t fall for us today but they played their hearts out. Our 3 seniors will be missed next year but a very strong core returning. Good luck to WR in the finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT