ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville is unbeatable!

Eden has only been Eden since 1967.....before that it was 3 small towns located on top of each other....Leaksville, Spray and Draper....merged in 1967 and some old timers have never gotten over the result....lots of hard feelings..........................Wentworth is the county seat of Rockingham Co....the towns are Eden, Reidsville, Madison-Mayodan and Stoneville.....population around 94,000......................
M y Mother was from Leaksville, my Father was from Spray and I was born in Leaksville Hospital.

Gaston, NC is in Northampton County, and not Gaston County; Cleveland, NC is in Rowan County, not Cleveland County; Mooresville is in Iredell County, not Moore County; Clayton, NC is in Johnston County, not Clay County, NC., and if it hasn’t been mentioned, Madison, NC is in Rockingham County, not Madison County, NC and Thomasville, Kannapolis and Rocky Mount are in more than one County.
My favorite aunt and uncle lived in Madison. One of their best friends coached football in Madison, may have coached Madison in your day rambbq, his name just came I believe it was Kure or Cure. I remember he was quite a coach.
https://www.greensboro.com/obituaries/article_12649413-2bc6-5b23-acb7-a5411a9be151.html

North Carolina is strange about county and city names not matching, Lenoir and Lenoir County, Rockingham and Rockingham County, Greensboro and Greene County, Asheboro and Ashe County, etc.

Stokesdale is in Guilford County, not Stokes. Stokes is in Pitt County, not Stokes. Beaufort is in Carteret County, not Beaufort. Washington is in Beaufort County, not Washington. Waynesville is in Haywood County, not Wayne.

North Carolina is strange about county and city names not matching, Lenoir and Lenoir County, Rockingham and Rockingham County, Greensboro and Greene County, Asheboro and Ashe County, etc.

My favorite aunt and uncle lived in Madison. One of their best friends coached football in Madison, may have coached Madison in your day rambbq, his name just came I believe it was Kure or Cure. I remember he was quite a coach.
https://www.greensboro.com/obituaries/article_12649413-2bc6-5b23-acb7-a5411a9be151.html
I believe you are talking about Raymond Cure...coached at either Madison or Mayodan and later at Madison-Mayodan when they consolidated in early 60's.....he had retired before my playing days (RSH grad of 1968)...................

Reactions: UNC91
Columbus, NC is in Polk County, not Columbus County; Stanley is in Gaston County not Stanly County, NC; Beaufort, NC is in Carterett County, not Beaufort County.
Lincolnton, Thomasville, Reidsville and Clinton all have towns with the same name in neighboring Georgia.
Here is one for Wizard of the East: the combined populations of Mecklenburg and Gaston County is one million, two hundred and ninetty seven thousand, one hundred and eighty two, and the land area of both counties combined (910) square miles is less than Sampson County alone with 962 square miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogJacket85
I've been to Lincolnton.....nice town....and that's as close as I would wish to be to Charlotte or even Gastonia....................

Rambbq, as for this Lincolnton person you are welcome here, anytime.
Good luck, tomorrow, against Northeastern.

Reactions: rambbq
I've been to Lincolnton.....nice town....and that's as close as I would wish to be to Charlotte or even Gastonia....................
I turn down free golf in the Charlotte area because of the traffic !

The middle school (which used to be the high school) stadium is named after him. *** sorry, guess if read the whole obituary it stated that....

Reactions: Wizard of the East
Columbus, NC is in Polk County, not Columbus County; Stanley is in Gaston County not Stanly County, NC; Beaufort, NC is in Carterett County, not Beaufort County.
Lincolnton, Thomasville, Reidsville and Clinton all have towns with the same name in neighboring Georgia.
Here is one for Wizard of the East: the combined populations of Mecklenburg and Gaston County is one million, two hundred and ninetty seven thousand, one hundred and eighty two, and the land area of both counties combined (910) square miles is less than Sampson County alone with 962 square miles.
The Lincolnton Red Devils in Georgia! Perennial 1a powerhouse. I’ve seen them play several times. We leased 180 acres for hunting in Lincolnton, Ga. for 10 years. Best Turkey population in Georgia!

Ah yes, Thomasville Georgia. Same mascot and colors too except they have red and gold. They also have a good football tradition from what I know. Believe both of our schools were running for state titles at the same time and would pull for each other. Bulldogs gotta stick together.

Thomasville, Georgia was home to the Thomasville Tigers , an affiliate of the Detroit Tigers, of the now defunked Georgia-Florida League in the mid sixties, before that being a farm team of the Brooklyn slash Los Angeles Dodgers.
Good luck to the Reidsville Rams.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Sampson County is the largest county a big rural county that grows a lot of crops in huge fields and raises a lot of hogs and turkeys. It 75 miles across points from northwest to southeast. The population is on 63,636. The roads are good though being only an hour from Raleigh, 1 1/4 hr to Wilmington and 30 min to either Fayetteville or Goldsboro. We can get out of the country fast down here!

Thomasville, Georgia was home to the Thomasville Tigers , an affiliate of the Detroit Tigers, of the now defunked Georgia-Florida League in the mid sixties, before that being a farm team of the Brooklyn slash Los Angeles Dodgers.
Good luck to the Reidsville Rams.

Interesting, learn something new everyday :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT