ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville Attempts Their First Unified State Championship

But since you brought that up….

During the first decade of the original NCHSAA, there were no classes and the playoffs were “all in” for all NC high schools.
After 5 playoff wins, including some over much larger schools, Shelby qualified for the 1924 Championship Title Game.
The Golden Lions lost in a close game, 7-0, to Rockingham of Richmond County.
Ah, the memories of 1924 ... glad you brought it up. That was the year Reidsville won the unified state basketball championship over Wilmington New Hanover in a 19-18 thriller at the UNC Chapel Hill gym, aka the Tin Can. Mule remembers it well (the Tin Can maybe).

Reidsville High School goes for its first ever unified state title next Saturday. Despite their naming of themselves as the “Capitol (sic)” of North Carolina high school football, Reidsville has never won a Championship title where they participated in a playoff that included ALL similar size (classification) NC public high school programs. All their Championships came during the period of the rival WNCHSAA existence (1929-1976) or during the subdivision of classes (2002-2020). Reidsville did not appear in a Championship game from 1971 through 2001, 31 consecutive years.
In the period of one winner per classification and after the 1977 merger of the NCHSAA with the WNCHSAA, Robbinsville led the state with 7 Championship titles and Richmond Senior won 6.

The overall leader in NC Championship Titles since the merger in 1977 is Shelby with 12.

The purpose of this thread, despite comments that will follow, is not to diminish the accomplishments of the Reidsville program and its 22 recognized titles. They won all they could win. It is to clarify that the entirety of those championship runs included the avoidance of up to 42 of some of the top programs smack in the middle of the state. Or by avoiding 50% of the other similar class programs during subdivided playoffs.

Reidsville finally has an opportunity to win a unified Championship Title, and it will be their first attempt.
🤡🤡🤡💯

Ah, the memories of 1924 ... glad you brought it up. That was the year Reidsville won the unified state basketball championship over Wilmington New Hanover in a 19-18 thriller at the UNC Chapel Hill gym, aka the Tin Can. Mule remembers it well (the Tin Can maybe).
Mule is nowhere near that age! LOL, I know you're picking with him. Good luck to your Rams this weekend.

Reactions: Lincolnton
he probably drank a lot of beer out of a "tin can".....in the days before the aluminum cans....now that shows his age....lol.....................

Mule probably frequented the Tin Can back in the day.
Actually my Winston Dorm basketball intramurals team won a campus trophy in the Tin Can "back in the day". We had 3 former UNC freshmen basketball players on the team I "recruited", including David Aeminy from Raeford and Jimmy Schloiff from Mt Airy.

My mother, who will be 101 years old next month, may remember something about the 1924 team. I will ask her! The 1924 team banner is proudly looking at me from the wall in my office right now!!!

We usually drank our beer from glass mugs at the Rat. ;) :cool: ;)

Reidsville High School goes for its first ever unified state title next Saturday. Despite their naming of themselves as the “Capitol (sic)” of North Carolina high school football, Reidsville has never won a Championship title where they participated in a playoff that included ALL similar size (classification) NC public high school programs. All their Championships came during the period of the rival WNCHSAA existence (1929-1976) or during the subdivision of classes (2002-2020). Reidsville did not appear in a Championship game from 1971 through 2001, 31 consecutive years.
In the period of one winner per classification and after the 1977 merger of the NCHSAA with the WNCHSAA, Robbinsville led the state with 7 Championship titles and Richmond Senior won 6.

The overall leader in NC Championship Titles since the merger in 1977 is Shelby with 12.

The purpose of this thread, despite comments that will follow, is not to diminish the accomplishments of the Reidsville program and its 22 recognized titles. They won all they could win. It is to clarify that the entirety of those championship runs included the avoidance of up to 42 of some of the top programs smack in the middle of the state. Or by avoiding 50% of the other similar class programs during subdivided playoffs.

Reidsville finally has an opportunity to win a unified Championship Title, and it will be their first attempt.
wow this post is eye opening....i doubt reidsviullle would have any state championships before that time if everyone was together

wow this post is eye opening....i doubt reidsviullle would have any state championships before that time if everyone was together
And a worthwhile exercise.
We doubt the Reidsville faithful will support this, but what are they afraid of? Unless there is something to hide…..or to lose.
They should embrace confirmation. Plus this will take a group effort. Wake up Mule, dhaag, and the others.
We have already established that the 1963 Reidsville title would not have held up against WNCHSAA competition. We also established the 2002 Reidsville title would qualify as the unified winner with Cummings involvement.
So you lost one, but confirmed another.
We have also established that Shelby would have owned a 2016 2A unified title with the 3A champ South Point falling earlier to the Golden Lions. Unfortunately, that eliminates the 2016 Reidsville title. That 2016 Shelby team never trailed in all 16 games against a hellacious schedule. It is a shame those two teams did not meet, but this is only one of a few years where both won Titles.
This is not about Shelby vs Reidsville.
It is about would either program have won a “unified title” in the years where one or both won in the subclass or rival association in which they participated.
Shelby won the 1972 title in the WNCHSSA, but was subsequently voted by the AP Writers of NC as the # 1 team over all classes of the NCHSAA as well. We will view that as a unified Title. Hickory won similar AP voting, some of which may affect Reidsville titles.
Shelby can also claim the following as they were “ unified titles” already;
Reidsville has none of those. Thus the subject of this thread.
So, make your case for a Reidsville Title that could be considered unified for this exercise.

Perhaps we can devise an algorithm to assign worth to each claimed championship. Then add up totals. Make repeats and three-peats worth more. Perhaps third to fourth can “nascar” the algorithm so that Shelby has a higher number. Whatever makes him sleep better at night.

More championships and if there was better record keeping, more wins.

We doubt the Reidsville faithful will support this, but what are they afraid of? Unless there is something to hide…..or to lose.
They should embrace confirmation. Plus this will take a group effort. Wake up Mule, dhaag, and the others.
We have already established that the 1963 Reidsville title would not have held up against WNCHSAA competition. We also established the 2002 Reidsville title would qualify as the unified winner with Cummings involvement.
We have also established that Shelby would have owned a 2016 2A unified title with the 3A champ South Point falling earlier to the Golden Lions. Unfortunately, that eliminates the 2016 Reidsville title. That 2016 Shelby team never trailed in all 16 games against a hellacious schedule. It is a shame those two teams did not meet, but this is only one of a few years where both won Titles.
It is about would either program have won a “unified title” in the years where one or both won in the subclass or rival association in which they participated.
Shelby won the 1972 title in the WNCHSSA, but was subsequently voted by the AP Writers of NC as the # 1 team over all classes of the NCHSAA as well. We will view that as a unified Title. Hickory won similar AP voting, some of which may affect Reidsville titles.
So, make your case for a Reidsville Title that could be considered unified for this exercise.
I do believe Reidsville is on verge of a 3 peat....rams are young. If they can win this one
It will start a avalanche

How about these streaks from the NCHSAA:
Games scoring in Double figures: Reidsville 102, Shelby 0
Games since last shutout: Reidsville 362, Shelby 0
Games since last running clock: Reidsville (??), Shelby 0

Last edited:
How about this streak: Years since Shelby hasn't started or continued a thread about Shelby after an early playoff exit 0
Lame!!! Who doesn’t do that? Every passionate program’s fan base does that, even if it’s just some early discussion looking ahead to next season, or college commitments, transfers, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
My mother, who will be 101 years old next month, may remember something about the 1924 team. I will ask her! The 1924 team banner is proudly looking at me from the wall in my office right now!!!

You got the banner ... I got the photo:
Lame!!! Who doesn’t do that? Every passionate program’s fan base does that, even it’s just some early discussion looking ahead to next season, or college commitments, transfers, etc.
I think we're just trying to get under the skin of the guy who started this meaningless thread .. LOLLL

You make the case for a non-existent, imagined title, thought up by you and you alone. You make your argument using the most illogical reasoning which I will address later.

You are quite ignorant. I will post about this after the season. We have other things going on currently. We will be in Chapel Hill playing for a NCHSAA State Championship in 2A football. This is the same tournament in which Shelby won a UNIFIED RUNNING CLOCK (the only one granted in your game) from the team which Reidsville defeated in the Western Regional Final. Maybe you and some of the members of Cocky Club Cleveland can get together and pat each other’s rears about all the success you have had this year. You, however, may dwell on this issue by yourself. It will be another thing you can do by yourself.

How do you establish outcomes of games not held. I have noticed you don't answer questions. Give me your definition of a Unified State Championship. Chopper said don’t be wordy. Just a short paragraph. Thank you.

I will be waiting.

Lame!!! Who doesn’t do that? Every passionate program’s fan base does that, even it’s just some early discussion looking ahead to next season, or college commitments, transfers, etc.
So who starts a thread like this to throw shade on a team playing for a state championship, because they just steam rolled the team that put a running clock on their team ! Y'all must be proud of him and his son . Shelby's finest right there bro. You haven't said one word about this thread until now.... But it's all good, sorry I rubbed you the wrong way...All the brag about 4-1... All the talk about unified champs. Question, do y'all really think if we'd played every year , the series would get that lopsided ? If your answer is yes, then I understand how y'all think. But that bs is all y'all got to thump your chest about. If you dish it, you should be able to take it

So who starts a thread like this to throw shade on a team playing for a state championship, because they just steam rolled the team that put a running clock on their team ! Y'all must be proud of him and his son . Shelby's finest right there bro. You haven't said one word about this thread until now.... But it's all good, sorry I rubbed you the wrong way...All the brag about 4-1... All the talk about unified champs. Question, do y'all really think if we'd played every year , the series would get that lopsided ? If your answer is yes, then I understand how y'all think. But that bs is all y'all got to thump your chest about. If you dish it, you should be able to take it
It could be at least 4-3. From this season and Shelby really should've made it to states that covid year and played us.

How about these streaks from the NCHSAA:
Games scoring in Double figures: Reidsville 102, Shelby 0
Games since last shutout: Reidsville 362, Shelby 0
Games since last running clock: Reidsville (??), Shelby 0
Streaks are as much about competition as it is team excellence.
Historically.
By your own admission, your schedule is weak, and your county opponents are a joke.
You don’t even have a quality opponent in Cummings anymore.
Your streaks wouldn’t last long at all if you played in Cleveland County. Nobody’s do.
Crest, Kings Mountain, Burns every year.
Throw in Belmont South Point, AC Reynolds both on a regular basis. Tough to win such gauntlets and land top seeds based on records.
Another built in advantage Reidsville has that has greatly contributed to your success.
Weak schedule, keep starters healthy, play a lot of backups for solid experience.
Shelby is in just such a weak conference as you now…..and we hate it. Great to ride to tons of wins and # 1 seeding and home field, as you guys are well aware of that strategy.

We didn’t plan to go the “streaks” route here, but since you brought it up…..

You make the case for a non-existent, imagined title, thought up by you and you alone. You make your argument using the most illogical reasoning which I will address later.

You are quite ignorant. I will post about this after the season. We have other things going on currently. We will be in Chapel Hill playing for a NCHSAA State Championship in 2A football. This is the same tournament in which Shelby won a UNIFIED RUNNING CLOCK (the only one granted in your game) from the team which Reidsville defeated in the Western Regional Final. Maybe you and some of the members of Cocky Club Cleveland can get together and pat each other’s rears about all the success you have had this year. You, however, may dwell on this issue by yourself. It will be another thing you can do by yourself.

How do you establish outcomes of games not held. I have noticed you don't answer questions. Give me your definition of a Unified State Championship. Chopper said don’t be wordy. Just a short paragraph. Thank you.

I will be waiting.
Remember this is the same guy that was taking pride a few weeks ago saying their only losses were from potential state champs. Burns, KM and somebody else I forgot. Don’t see him talking about Cleveland county now and how they played so great against these state champion teams.

Historically.
By your own admission, your schedule is weak, and your county opponents are a joke.
Your streaks wouldn’t last long at all if you played in Cleveland County. Nobody’s do.
Throw in Belmont South Point, AC Reynolds both on a regular basis. Tough to win such gauntlets and land top seeds based on records.
Another built in advantage Reidsville has that has greatly contributed to your success.
Weak schedule, keep starters healthy, play a lot of backups for solid experience.
Shelby is in just such a weak conference as you now…..and we hate it. Great to ride to tons of wins and # 1 seeding and home field, as you guys are well aware of that strategy.

Shelby had the 1 seed last season. So I guess they had a weak schedule

Remember this is the same guy that was taking pride a few weeks ago saying their only losses were from potential state champs. Burns, KM and somebody else I forgot. Don’t see him talking about Cleveland county now and how they played so great against these state champion teams.
See above.
Reidsville plays nothing even close to Shelby’s schedule.
Never has.

Shelby had the 1 seed last season. So I guess they had a weak schedule
We said that above.
Can you read?
We hate our current joke of a conference.
But many in our surrounding counties petitioned not to have to play us.
And the NCHSAA complied.
True story.

See above.
Never has.
Don’t need to. We play teams on the schedule. And I believe our schedule in early 2000s was harder and still won titles. We also don’t brag about losing to teams that also lose in playoffs . Just would make us losers. We were pissed about losing in playoffs last year. Didn’t see us bragging oh we lost to the state champs. A loss is a loss. Reg season just preps you for playoffs. Don’t seem that battle tested schedule did Cleveland county any good this year to battle the un tested rams as you would say.

• Haha
Reactions: Chopper747
Sorry rams fans. I shouldn’t let it get to me
I wasn't referring to you Fact, It was directed at the jerk that started this rediculous thread 😂. He's got some pressure built up I think.

I wasn't referring to you Fact, It was directed at the jerk that started this rediculous thread 😂. He's got some pressure built up I think.
Haha yea I know. I’ve said some out of line things I’ve had to apologize for in the past on here. But defending something that shouldn’t need defending I won’t apologize for. Quest for 23.

Reactions: ramit02
You know it is very interesting and telling that all during the playoffs Cocky Club Cleveland members, as their teams fell to the wayside, was more than eager to support the survivor. In this case the survivor was Burns. It was all about who Reidsville was going to play and what they was going to do to Reidsville. Reidsville, now from the Western Regional, is the representative, they turn their back and wish us no goodwill or very little.

That’s ok. I let him know I am ready to end this crap. I will answer his stupidity. All this he says, has a record behind it and I will present that record and he will not be able to refute it. I will drop a little note on the thread “Question for Rams and West Fans”. I think, down east, they should know about CCC. They probably already know. I will humor them.

Is Reidsville head coach retiring after this season ??
Hope not ... needs 20 more wins for 400 in career.
Fourth in state history behind David Gentry (426), Jack Holley (412) and Bob Paroli (403).

Last edited:
Reactions: ramit02
Hope not ... needs 20 more wins for 400 in career.
Fourth in state history behind David Gentry (426), Jack Holley (412) and Bob Paroli (403).
Well I did ask him to stay head coach for another 11-14 years to coach my boy lol he said no chance.

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
See above.
Never has.

We do pretty good on the Schedule we are on now. Shelby dropped out of that Schedule. More like shown the exit. They didn't even deserve to be there. Kind of like holding on to a top ten with a 7-5 record. You know they keep records of these games. 42-0, will be there almost forever. 2ndtoeverybody just quoted a score about a game Shelby lost in 1924. Imagine someone looking at that Burns 42-0 drubbing of Shelby 98 years from now. They will be reading about the Shelby Running Clock Conundrum, SRCC. This is new statistical category for teams that put at least 50% of their schedule on a running clock while having a running clock put on them. The conundrum? How in the world could that happen?

We do pretty good on the Schedule we are on now. Shelby dropped out of that Schedule. More like shown the exit. They didn't even deserve to be there. Kind of like holding on to a top ten with a 7-5 record. You know they keep records of these games. 42-0, will be there almost forever. 2ndtoeverybody just quoted a score about a game Shelby lost in 1924. Imagine someone looking at that Burns 42-0 drubbing of Shelby 98 years from now. They will be reading about the Shelby Running Clock Conundrum, SRCC. This is new statistical category for teams that put at least 50% of their schedule on a running clock while having a running clock put on them. The conundrum? How in the world could that happen?
Wish you would shut the hell up about that running clock shit. Shelby over Reidsville, 49-3 , in 2013 should have been a “running clock”. Really didn’t score but 7 last season. Shyheim scored that last td in garbage time, Shelby already celebrating. Humble yourselves!

Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
Historically.

That ole SRCC, Got you this year. You really dropped off. I doubt you will recover from that for a couple of years. Burns got your number looks like. Wish we could have played you this year. You would had a running clock on you first quarter. Burns is telling everybody how you helped them keep that no. 1 for so long. You know if you put a running clock on 6 teams and Burns put one on you, what a conference. You don't have anything to do but look back at history. I mean a running clock. 42-0. Whew.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT