ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season west top 10

Not sure why everyone has North Stanly picked so high. I know they have West Stanly’s quarterback from last year but I don’t think he is anywhere close to North’s quarterback last year. The difference maker at North is Cam Davis. Take him off the team and they are average at best. The conference title should be between North Stanly and North Rowan with Albemarle third.West Montgomery will be down and the rest of the conference is weak. This could hurt North Stanly when the playoffs start but we will have to wait and see. Can’t wait for the season to start.

Not sure why everyone has North Stanly picked so high. I know they have West Stanly’s quarterback from last year but I don’t think he is anywhere close to North’s quarterback last year. The difference maker at North is Cam Davis. Take him off the team and they are average at best. The conference title should be between North Stanly and North Rowan with Albemarle third.West Montgomery will be down and the rest of the conference is weak. This could hurt North Stanly when the playoffs start but we will have to wait and see. Can’t wait for the season to start.

The kid at QB for NS this year did a pretty good job tossing for West Stanly 2A last year. Big question will be the receivers. NS Lost their starters except One i think. The Rush kid might be back. All of them could catch and weren't afraid to get ugly blocking for Davis.

Reactions: C.I.H.
Wasn't hitting on Murphy. Just saying that Albemarle & NS get accused of recruiting when it's kids transferring to be on a winning team
Just so you all will know, including BK, there have been a few studly athletes who have attempted to transfer to Murphy to play football this fall and our school administration has denied them for being out-of-district. The "Small School Funding" for rural school systems definitely makes a difference as far as the leniency given to potential transfers. A school system like Cherokee County cannot afford to lose 1.5 million dollars in state funding due to athletes from out-of-county. Of course, we know charters don't have this problem.

The kid at QB for NS this year did a pretty good job tossing for West Stanly 2A last year. Big question will be the receivers. NS Lost their starters except One i think. The Rush kid might be back. All of them could catch and weren't afraid to get ugly blocking for Davis.

He throws darts. NS is strong at skills positions. The field will be stretched as much as it was last year if not more. Will be tough to defend.

I will say this for North Stanly. They return 9 of 11 on defense from last year. The only game the defense did poor last season was Murphy. Murphy did great job at noticing North’s weak spots. This year all a year older and STRONGER. There hardly is a weak spot. Offensively North will be so hard to defend with transfers from couple places. The truth is this. Without Transfers North would still have been very hard to beat. I can’t wait to watch my comets play. Hurry up Football season. My fav time of year.

I would have in that list in particular order:

Murphy
Cherokee
Swain
Mitchell
Mountain Island
Bessemer City
Mount Airy
North Stanly
North Rowan
West Montgomery

Time will tell lake man , I see a few contenders in that list and a whole lotta pretenders

west montgomery wont be elite this season...they r def 1 pretender

Even on a down year y'all still love to talk about us lol, it's all good we've been best in the West for several years. Meaning team to beat

Is that really why yall are turning away these star players? or are yall trying to get back to small 1a?
1.5 million in small school funding is much more important than football. I don't think the Cherokee Co. School Board cares one way or another which division Murphy plays ball in.

GreyGod623 i know i was just pulling murphy's chain
Honestly, I feel like they will be 1A this year if cut off stays roughly the same. They graduated a large class and are enrolling a smaller freshman class. Last year they were 1AA by one student.

Bummer might as well size em for rings now. Nobody small 1a will beat them.

Bummer might as well size em for rings now. Nobody small 1a will beat them.

A lot of questions yet to be answered for Murphy in the upcoming season. With the line play to Qb, much to be sorted out in the upcoming season. I think Murphy could be a 2 loss team or a 4 loss team this season.

Im sure yall will put it all together especially by playoff time. Serious ? when was the last time Murphy lost to a small 1a school. Plymouth a few years ago? Murphy would have cakewalked through small 1a last year.

Im sure yall will put it all together especially by playoff time. Serious ? when was the last time Murphy lost to a small 1a school. Plymouth a few years ago? Murphy would have cakewalked through small 1a last year.

Murphy lost 4 in a row (playoffs included) to Robbinsville 2014-2015. Im not so sure about cakewalking last year either in small 1A.

I would have in that list in particular order:

Murphy
Cherokee
Swain
Mitchell
Mountain Island
Bessemer City
Mount Airy
North Stanly
North Rowan
West Montgomery

Glad to see Mitchell's name getting thrown out there. The Mountaineers will be young this year, but very talented. And at the risk of sounding like a Tennessee fan, next year could possibly be the best team Mitchell has ever fielded.

Well cherokee won it all and yall whipped cherokee so im pretty sure murphy would have had no problem with small 1a schools. Looking forward to seeing some good football this season no matter what happens.

Just can't see 4 losses MHS88, Murphy gets Swain and Cherokee at home, that's huge. Swain never beats Murphy @ Murphy without a vastly superior team (2004, 2011). The most regular season losses I could see for Murphy without injury issues is 2.

Last edited:
Just can't see 4 losses MHS88, Murphy gets Swain and Cherokee at home, that's huge. Swain never beats Murphy @ Murphy without a vastly superior team (2004, 2011). The most regular season losses I could see for Murphy without injury issues is 2.
The four potential losses on the schedule are Pisgah, Franklin, Swain, and Cherokee. I agree that 2-2 is the most reasonable scenario and 0-4 the least likely. Swain is going to be much better than people give them credit for. Cherokee is going to miss Mintz, but in a way it makes them harder to defend because they will be more balanced offensively. I have no clue about Pisgah, but we are playing in Canton, so that's enough. The Franklin game is at Murphy and like always ... "this might be the year". I'm glad these kids play these games to give us has-beens something to talk about.

The four potential losses on the schedule are Pisgah, Franklin, Swain, and Cherokee. I agree that 2-2 is the most reasonable scenario and 0-4 the least likely. Swain is going to be much better than people give them credit for. Cherokee is going to miss Mintz, but in a way it makes them harder to defend because they will be more balanced offensively. I have no clue about Pisgah, but we are playing in Canton, so that's enough. The Franklin game is at Murphy and like always ... "this might be the year". I'm glad these kids play these games to give us has-beens something to talk about.

Pisgah gets the actual home game, which definitely is a plus for them. They do return Wike at Qb. I think i would swap a Cherokee possible loss to a Robbinsville possible loss. Murphy has definitely had trouble with stopping teams with a strong ground game in seasons past. Who knows what will actually happen in all reality. Looking forward to the season opener. Only 45 more days!

Reactions: golfwang8
S
Not trying to bash Cherokee here but a lot of folks seem to be on the state champ hangover. Last year was their year. I don't understand how folks are putting them ahead of Swain. Swain should have a big solid line this year with a solid back. To me their only question will be qb.
My early picks would be
Murphy
Swain
Robbinsville
Cherokee
Rosman
Andrews
Hayesville
swain lost too much. They also keep having players quit left and right. And some transfer. They will be lucky to get past Hayesville this year. Cherokee will 45-7 Swain again.

S
swain lost too much. They also keep having players quit left and right. And some transfer. They will be lucky to get past Hayesville this year. Cherokee will 45-7 Swain again.
I'm not a Swain fan, but I would put a lot of money on the fact that Cherokee won't beat Swain 45-7. I think you Braves fans don't realize how much Ty meant to you guys.

No way that happens again. That was a once in a lifetime game. I’m not going to get into details or excuses but that will not happen again. Don’t forget Swain beat Murphy last season and Murphy beat Cherokee.

Swain beat murphy bc murphy player ran the wrong way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT