ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season west top 10

gdawg74

Nov 4, 2006
Whats everybody’s thoughts out there. Who are the top teams in the west, who are some sleepers to lookout for?

North Stanley, Mount Airy, Murphy, Cherokee, the usual suspects. MICS has some very talented players. I hate to say it but they should be very good this season.

Cherokee isn't a usual suspects.
The last time they was good was in 07 i think. But I do think they will be ok this yr.

Dang bk stop being mad cause you aren’t in the big 3 any more . You don’t have to hate us

In no order-
Mount Airy
East Surry
Murphy
N Stanly
MICS
Cherokee
Polk

I don’t think East Wilkes will be as good as they have been the past few years. The first game of the season might tell quite a bit about East Wilkes & East Surry.

1. North Stanly
2. Mt. Airy
3. Murphy
4. East Surry
5. Cherokee
6. Polk
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. Swain
9. MICS
10. Polk

Play maker wise, North Stanly and Mt. Airy are the cream of the crop. They will have a huge knockout punch in most games. Teams like Murphy and East Surry will compete with their ability to grind it out and wear them down. Cherokee will be solid with their skill players ... have to see about their new linemen.

East Surry is loaded. They gonna break some hearts in the post season this year. Not gonna be a typical east squad , they will be in the spread. Wouldn’t surprise me to see them in regional final. That’s coming from a bear fan. Greene from Mt Airy will put up record book numbers this season. Sad northwest is a two horse race. They both need more than each other in conference. Gonna be a fun year with new coaches at the helm for both schools

To be fair that wasn’t East Wilkes as in East Wilkes high schools. It’s a travel team filled with athletes from the area. I don’t know the people involved in the scuffle but it not certain that they were from East Wilkes.

1. North Stanly
2. Mt. Airy
3. Murphy
4. East Surry
5. Cherokee
6. Polk
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. Swain
9. MICS
10. Polk

Play maker wise, North Stanly and Mt. Airy are the cream of the crop. They will have a huge knockout punch in most games. Teams like Murphy and East Surry will compete with their ability to grind it out and wear them down. Cherokee will be solid with their skill players ... have to see about their new linemen.
Don't know enough about North Stanly. If they picked up some of West Mongomery's then they can be in the top 5

Last edited:
In no order-
Mount Airy
East Surry
Murphy
N Stanly
MICS
Cherokee
Polk

I don’t think East Wilkes will be as good as they have been the past few years. The first game of the season might tell quite a bit about East Wilkes & East Surry.
Losing their coach could they not lose a player or 2 to Elkin just down the road..

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Murphy's success this season will be totally dependent on the development of their line. I will say this, I've been watching them in summer workouts and they are working hard and getting strong. There are several sophomore linemen that have a bright, bright future ... one of which is around 6' 6" and 290 pounds (he may be the hardest working one of them all). The skill positions are loaded and deep. The addition of the transfer from Woodstock, GA is going to help tremendously, more than likely at QB/LB. It's business as usual in Cherokee County, the coaches keep coaching and the players keep on playing. Looking forward to the season.

Murphy's success this season will be totally dependent on the development of their line. I will say this, I've been watching them in summer workouts and they are working hard and getting strong. There are several sophomore linemen that have a bright, bright future ... one of which is around 6' 6" and 290 pounds (he may be the hardest working one of them all). The skill positions are loaded and deep. The addition of the transfer from Woodstock, GA is going to help tremendously, more than likely at QB/LB. It's business as usual in Cherokee County, the coaches keep coaching and the players keep on playing. Looking forward to the season.

Is the transfer from woodstock the vinings kid that left several years ago????

Yeah its Vining but he came back from Macon not Woodstock, lived in Woodstock prior to that though. Down in Macon he played FB and LB. I would guess if the season started today he would be a starter at QB and one of the LB positions. If he does end up starting at QB his size/speed blend will be a problem for a lot of opponents. He is the fastest player on the team from what Ive heard.

Last edited:
Yeah its Vining but he came back from Macon not Woodstock, lived in Woodstock prior to that though. Down in Macon he played FB and LB. I would guess if the season started today he would be a starter at QB and one of the LB positions. If he does end up starting at QB his size/speed blend will be a problem for a lot of opponents. He is the fastest player on the team from what Ive heard.

Will be interesting to see who takes the snaps beginning @ Pisgah

Funny how North Stanly has to go out of town and county to compete. They definitely know where to come to get talent, give em that. Karma is a bitch

Funny how North Stanly has to go out of town and county to compete. They definitely know where to come to get talent, give em that. Karma is a bitch

Why nobody talking about all the Murphy "transfers" but everybody wants to bash NS for "recruiting"??? Just like when Albemarle was winning. Kids, parents & winning do all the "recruiting" not the coaches. That's why the kids are called "transfers".

Reactions: atucker2
Old-a-dog I'm from Troy not Murphy. Could care less what was going on over yonder way.

Why nobody talking about all the Murphy "transfers" but everybody wants to bash NS for "recruiting"??? Just like when Albemarle was winning. Kids, parents & winning do all the "recruiting" not the coaches. That's why the kids are called "transfers".

Not really much to talk about with Vining coming back to Murphy. He was already involved in Murphy athletics before his family moved out of the area a few years ago. They have moved back to the area, so hes back at MHS.

And North has beat WM once in 2 decades, let's not just crown them Champs quite yet. But getting Warriors will help their cause, must say that.

Dogs so is Vining coming back as Qb or another running back? I can't remember that kid. I think you guys said he was your former jv qb. Is that the last time he took snaps at QB his 9th grade year?

Old - Dog , no offense but comparing a team or program to a dynasty like Albemarle is a little premature don’t you think? Let’s see North Stanly make it out of the second round , win a regional championship , win something before we start crowing.

Last edited:
Old - Dog , no offense but comparing a team or program to a dynasty like Albemarle was is a little premature don’t you think? Let’s see North Stanly make it out of the second round , win a regional championship , win something before we start crowing.

Read the post - said that NS is not as magical as the Albemarle teams of past. Not jumping on their wagon

And North has beat WM once in 2 decades, let's not just crown them Champs quite yet. But getting Warriors will help their cause, must say that.

NS Would have beaten WM this year without the player transferring.

Not really much to talk about with Vining coming back to Murphy. He was already involved in Murphy athletics before his family moved out of the area a few years ago. They have moved back to the area, so hes back at MHS.

Wasn't hitting on Murphy. Just saying that Albemarle & NS get accused of recruiting when it's kids transferring to be on a winning team

Oh well maybe twice in 2 decades. My bad. WM is gonna have a couple of down years to finish the history of WM, but it's ok because we have handled any team from Montgomery or Stanly counties the last 10 years. Hopefully North will have the guts in couple years to schedule Montgomery Central.

Reactions: Old-A-Dog
Oh well maybe twice in 2 decades. My bad. WM is gonna have a couple of down years to finish the history of WM, but it's ok because we have handled any team from Montgomery or Stanly counties the last 10 years. Hopefully North will have the guts in couple years to schedule Montgomery Central.

North Stanly posted wins over WM in 2003, 2004, & 2017. Shouldn't have happened in any of those years...

Not trying to bash Cherokee here but a lot of folks seem to be on the state champ hangover. Last year was their year. I don't understand how folks are putting them ahead of Swain. Swain should have a big solid line this year with a solid back. To me their only question will be qb.
My early picks would be
Murphy
Swain
Robbinsville
Cherokee
Rosman
Andrews
Hayesville

Reactions: Swaindad40
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT