ADVERTISEMENT

Political Correctness in HS Sports

As I said earlier, what ever will be will be. There is a difference in not liking something and having your feelings hurt. I do agree with you on one point, I will continue to support South Point High School athletics regardless of the mascot name. Unless of course they choose something I consider ridiculous. But I can guarantee you my feelings won't be hurt.

Reactions: Crest is Garbage
While we're at it maybe the dallas cowboys should go.

The "Cowboys" should definitely go. It excludes men of color and all women. As silly as that sounds there was a high school team in New Jersey that used "Cowboys" as their nickname and were forced to change it for those two reasons.

Reactions: KW23
The left has lost it

This isn't a "left" or "right" issue. There are names for teams that have been offensive for quite some time that have not been changed because those asking for said names to be change voices weren't loud enough.

Take the Redskins name for instance. It's obviously a slur, but since the native population is so low and their economic reach isn't as far as other ethnicities their call for change fall on deaf ears. Now that we're finally addressing issues after years, decades, and centuries of wrongs you have to expect them to take advantage of the situation.

These are the days of righting wrongs. If you can't get down with that then you're lost.

The current logo of the franchise was proposed by Walter Wetzel, a former Blackfeet tribal chairman and past president of the National Congress of American Indians, back in 1972. It’s taken the likeness of the image used on the Buffalo Nickel. ...……..oops so much for the old white guys argument...

Ive never see a Indian that was offended by it. As I said earlier most Indians here pull for Redskins, Braves, and Chiefs. Even Cowboys.
Well, the Native Americans that’s been applying pressure to the Red Skins organization wants you to hold their beer. Who cares about the handful that you see, as if they represent the entire Native American population.

Just learned recently that some of them don’t even like to be called “Indians”, a name Christopher Columbus gave them when he thought he had actually landed in India rather than America.

Last edited:
Well, the Native Americans that’s been applying pressure to the Red Skins organization wants you to hold their beer. Who cares about the handful that you see, as if they represent the entire Native American population.

Just learned recently that some of them don’t even like to be called “Indians”, a name Christopher Columbus gave them when he thought he had actually landed in India rather than America.

Anecdotal evidence strikes again!!! Sheesh, it makes my head hurt. “Well I know a guy and he said....” o_O

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

Reactions: Lion Attack
You did, but stop using the “those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” line. The atrocities of US history, and the actions of oppressors and suffering of the oppressed being the reason why mascot names are being changed because they are linked to the oppressed, will not be repeated to that degree. Not even close. I get what you’re trying to say, but it’s not applicable here, IMO.

You can say that about every country if you study their history. Name one country that has more to offer Blacks than America?? We may not be perfect but the only thing holding blacks back in this country is themselves. The importance of an education has to be made a priority with them. It was with my parents and I had no choice but to finish high school and pass. I didn't care about college but my siblings went. I have 2 kids that finished high school in the top 10% of their class and both have gone to college. We put them first in our family and that is what they will have to do. There are many opportunities out there and programs to benefit minorities but it starts with a drive to get their kids an education. That's a parents responsibility.

You can say that about every country if you study their history. Name one country that has more to offer Blacks than America?? We may not be perfect but the only thing holding blacks back in this country is themselves. The importance of an education has to be made a priority with them. It was with my parents and I had no choice but to finish high school and pass. I didn't care about college but my siblings went. I have 2 kids that finished high school in the top 10% of their class and both have gone to college. We put them first in our family and that is what they will have to do. There are many opportunities out there and programs to benefit minorities but it starts with a drive to get their kids an education. That's a parents responsibility.

"The only thing holding blacks back is themselves".

Wow, and you're saying education is not a priority!

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
It doesn’t matter what facts are presented to a person who is locked in their beliefs. You have a preconceived notion in your head and no amount of information to the contrary is going to sway you.
im not locked into anything. It also appears no amount of information is gonna sway you either...So here we are...

Reactions: BK13T-$
I think that all families regardless of race or creed have a responsibility to work to give their children the best opportunities in life that they can. At the same time, it’s ridiculous to say that minority communities don’t want what’s best for their kids like everyone else and that they are “holding themselves back”. It’s laughable and sad that some people actually hold that belief.

It is disingenuous to pretend that our system does not have flaws that make it more difficult for some groups to reach the higher levels of success. That’s not saying it’s impossible for them to do so but, it is more difficult. As a society, we need to correct these flaws.

This is the greatest country on Earth, we should always push to be better.

The truth is there are not enough native americans or black americans in the US to force a change. The change is being forced now because many young white people have chosen to support the narrative. I'm not saying they are wrong to do so, I am saying I personally don't. Onh well as Doris Day said a long time ago, "What ever will be, will be".

I know several in the Cherokee tribe. They think changing the mascot is stupid. They told me it's not being done for us but rich white kids with an agenda to change everything.

I know several in the Cherokee tribe. They think changing the mascot is stupid. They told me it's not being done for us but rich white kids with an agenda to change everything.

The argument is always strongest when someone “knows some guys” that validate their opinions.

so whats holding them back? Let me guess,,,systemic racism..

Kids being left to older Grandparents because the parents don't take care of them. My wife is a teacher and it's painful to see kids come to school with nobody that cares for them. School is like a daycare. My wife called one to discuss problems with the child. She was told it was her problem, it's why I send them to school. You deal with it. As long as the attitude is like that these kids don't have a chance. The problem is in white and black but right now the country is focusing only on blacks which is why I only spoke of them. I know many that are really good people that have done well with their kids but they are not the majority. Sure there are racist in this country and every other country. But there are more good people in this country than racist. Do you consider the blacks goung around attacking whites as racist. I hope so because they are. They just as well have hoods on. They ain't helping anything.

Reactions: The bear guru
This isn't a "left" or "right" issue. There are names for teams that have been offensive for quite some time that have not been changed because those asking for said names to be change voices weren't loud enough.

Take the Redskins name for instance. It's obviously a slur, but since the native population is so low and their economic reach isn't as far as other ethnicities their call for change fall on deaf ears. Now that we're finally addressing issues after years, decades, and centuries of wrongs you have to expect them to take advantage of the situation.

These are the days of righting wrongs. If you can't get down with that then you're lost.

Ok... Whats the difference between saying "Black man", White man", "Red man", etc.? It's just something that people with nothing else to do to bitch about something because of "feelings". Sure, there are names out there that are offensive but it gets to the point where some of this stuff is simply stupid.

Obviously a slur?? Do you know that Indians referred to themselves as Redskins? Do you know they used plants and berries to mix and put on themselves to make them red? That is where the term Redskins comes from. It was not a slur until libs say it is. Look it up.

Obviously a slur?? Do you know that Indians referred to themselves as Redskins? Do you know they used plants and berries to mix and put on themselves to make them red? That is where the term Redskins comes from. It was not a slur until libs say it is. Look it up.
In the old cowboy shows, the cowboys with often say, “let’s get those no good “Red Skins”, or “let’s kill the Red Skins”, using it as a slur. Man, you sound ridiculous!

Last edited:
Ok... Whats the difference between saying "Black man", White man", "Red man", etc.? It's just something that people with nothing else to do to bitch about something because of "feelings". Sure, there are names out there that are offensive but it gets to the point where some of this stuff is simply stupid.
If it’s stupid, why are/were there any teams called the White Skins, Black Skins, or Yellow Skins. Native Americans have challenged Washington over the usage of that name since the 90s. Respect them!

If it’s stupid, why are/were there any teams called the White Skins, Black Skins, or Yellow Skins. Native Americans have challenged Washington over the usage of that name since the 90s. Respect them!

Good point but I believe the term "Redskins" was used as not a slur but as a way of showing the fighting spirit of the Native Americans. In my opinion, naming a team after the Native Americans was a way of showing respect. I'm willing to bet that years from now (after I'm dead and gone), there will be idiots that will decide the Panthers name is in a way showing animal abuse.

BK13T said, "These are the days of righting wrongs."

What a joke. I say, these are the days of crying idiots and appeasement. Let's just tear down statues that we don't like. Let's just take over four or five blocks for a month or so. Let's just get rid of the police. I don't know who is stupider, the idiots doing these things or the liberal moronic leaders who allow it. What a country!

Then in November we have to pick a president. Uncle Joe or Donald the jerk, what a choice.

In the old cowboy shows, the cowboys with often say, “let’s get those no good “Red Skins”, or “let’s kill the Red Skins”, using it as a slur. Man, you sound ridiculous!

You are talking about a harmless tv show and say I sound ridiculous??? Ok I'll be ridiculous. Lol

In the city of Belmont political correctness has raised it's ugly head for the second time that I'm aware. It seems that there are some in the community that feel the name "Red Raiders" is offensive. A pitetion has been started to change the name, and of course the branding. If I were to tell you exactly how I feel about this pitetion, I would be kicked off NC Preps. Let's just say, anybody who grew up in Belmont and feels that way, can; as Flo said, KISS MY GRITS.
It's all B/S

The "Cowboys" should definitely go. It excludes men of color and all women. As silly as that sounds there was a high school team in New Jersey that used "Cowboys" as their nickname and were forced to change it for those two reasons.

You are basing this on the Hollywood narrative of people like John Wayne and Gary Cooper being Cowboys? Cowboys did include persons of color. Heck, there was even a National Cowboys of Color Museum and Hall of Fame now called the National Multicultural Western Heritage Museum in Fort Worth, Texas.

Then why do they put "Indian Police" on their cop cars.
Its not only handful

BK13T said, "These are the days of righting wrongs."

What a joke. I say, these are the days of crying idiots and appeasement. Let's just tear down statues that we don't like. Let's just take over four or five blocks for a month or so. Let's just get rid of the police. I don't know who is stupider, the idiots doing these things or the liberal moronic leaders who allow it. What a country!

Then in November we have to pick a president. Uncle Joe or Donald the jerk, what a choice.

I didnt say that

You did not sir. Please accept my apologies. This quote should have been attributed to ForsythCo. This is what happens when an old man trys to do things based on memory.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Cop cars in Cherokee say Indian police.

Who do you think pick that for the patrol cars?

I just saw this on WITN's website. I'm not familiar with this tribe but they are in NC and they did oppose the name Redskin. They claim it came from bounties on Indians and the bloody scalp led to the name Redskin. I don't agree with that I think they are rewriting history. I'm 61 and in the last few years is the only time I have heard this. What I posted several post up is what you would find if you searched Redskin years ago. But if people are offend my goodness let's not hurt feelings. I quit watching when they started kneeling. I have a feeling college and high school ball may go the same route for me. If they kneel I will have more time for my family.

All that and I forgot the link. I'm getting senile.

https://www.witn.com/2020/07/13/enc...tribe-reacts-to-news-of-redskins-name-change/

Honest question, looking for an educated response since this board has turned into politico... Why was society, statues, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, monuments, team names, buildings, food, drinks, vehicles, viruses, wind, rain, air and everything else not racist whenever we had a black president for 8 years but it's the end of the world now if it's not changed immediately? Why did he not use his platform as the most powerful man in the world for not one, but two terms to rectify those things for African Americans? I guess it's just easier to blame the mean ol' orange man...

Last edited:
Honest question, looking for an honest and educated response since this board has turned into politico... Why was society, statues, aunt jemima, uncle ben, monuments, team names, buildings, food, drinks, vehicles, viruses, wind, rain, air and everything else not racist whenever we had a black president for 8 years but it's the end of the world now if it's not changed immediately?
Not only a honest question but a good question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT