ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Ashe Co at MA

The Bears have become this area’s version of a black hole.. They suck up the team they are playing on offense by running the ball down their throats and their defense sucks the life out of them in return. I’ve rarely seen a team like this but it’s oddly interesting to watch. The past 3 teams have tried but not figured it out. Up this week is a young and rusty Ashe team who is fresh out of lockup. Expect that to continue.. Ashe has to shake the rust off and find ways to grow in experience in a short time. This isn’t the easiest way but I’m sure they will make the most of it. MA is just much older and athletic than them; and I see that taking the day. But props to Ashe for taking the challenge on.

East Surry at South Stokes

The Cards rolled over EW last week after a rough start and are jamming at the right time. Instead of playing a harder opponent they decided to keep South on the schedule which honestly doesn’t make sense to me. I know they did due to Dave but honestly neither team benefits here besides South getting gate money. East needs more tests and South needs more winnable games.

Starmount vs ?

Despite their loss Starmount honestly came out on pretty good footings vs Forbush. The Rams did a lot of good things: they ran the ball okay vs a tough D line, they exposed Forbush’s lack of a solid passing game (Bush went 1/11 with 2 QB’s,) which forced everything onto the Matthews kid, and they showed some poise and not let the stage get to them. Grinton has something with these kids he hasn’t in a while; he needs to do a great coaching job and work with them the next year to get them where they can be. They were set to play PL Prep but I guess Covid locked the pride up and they are in need of another game. When that comes I’ll update this with the pick.

Forbush at Thomasville

The Falcons managed to win a game they haven’t had in a long time last week: a rather close affair. Starmount shut their pass down to the point that they had no choice to run and that’s not good for their offense. They use the short pass to give the run breaks and without it everything was put onto the Matthews kid’s shoulders and he used it to his advantage. However they face a much better squad this week in a very explosive Thomasville team who’s coming off a rest week as HP Andrews got locked down over Covid. The ‘Dogs are on the up under their new coach and feature a sold run game with a stud of an RB who loves to run over people, and a line that will match the Bush in size pretty evenly. Their QB isn’t the best in the world but he’s athletic and can chunk it which is what Bush struggles with. They better be ready to play or else it might be a night they aren’t expecting. My heart says Tville in the upset but my brain says go neutral here and I will. Tonight will show what the East Bend boys are made of and if they have anything for East.

East Wilkes at WIlkes Central

The Cards started off hot before falling off last week but they played ES really hard despite everything. This team has more of a heart than the last few East teams have had so I expect a turnaround soon. Up this week is one of their biggest rivals in Wilkes Central who is coming off lockdown with I’m sure are full of vinegar ready to play. Central lost that athlete to East and I’m sure the kids have a lot of anger about it so East better be ready to thud it up. A lot is at stake here for both teams and either one can use this game as a springboard into conference play. Central badly needs a spark as they could use it to a nice conference run but a loss would leave them more lost. East meanwhile needs this win to show that they can fully take the pressure and can handle the pressure while playing for the high conference spot they can take. East ultimately has both more playing experience and they look to have more desire on tape vs Central’s scrimmages and first game so I’ll pick East. If Central can overcome the rust early I expect a barn burner. If not then who knows.

Alleghany at North Wilkes

Alleghany got an extra week of rest off their good win over Grayson; NW’s been locked up for 2 weeks after a disappointing loss and they badly need momentum for a tough season ahead. To make it even more random it’s North’s homecoming this week as they are the last home game they have for quite a bit of time. The Vikings have a ton of pressure on them here; they badly need this win or else it will be a long haul for them. I just don’t see it.. Alleghany’s always had these kids’s number since day 1 and up and they have more playing time and have won a game so they know how to do so. The Trojans defense needs to stay consistent and make life tough for Wyatt.. If he can’t go like he needs to that offense falls apart. They do have that new RB who is legitly pretty decent but his running wasn’t enough in the opener. They have 2 weeks of rust to work off and vs a stout defense like Alleghany’s it won’t be easy. Plus Alleghany I’m sure will be wanting revenge after letting the game slip vs these guys in the spring. That might be enough and too much to overcome.

North Stokes at Patrick Co VA

The Vikes managed to have both of their stars come back last Friday but it didn’t save them from an absolutely ugly showing vs Chatham Central last Friday. N Stokes shot theirselves in the foot multiple times when they coulda scored some more and put it away early; and Central was still trying to score at the end to make it closer. These kids needs to do a better job of making the most of their opportunities.. They are too good for North Stokes’s level to let the wins slip. This week’s game is big for the Vikings as they face one of their longest rivals Patrick County who they haven’t been able to shake off. In fact the last time the Vikings beat them was all the way back when I was a youngin’ in 2012 when they dropped 62 on them and had 600 yards of offense when they ran the Air Raid under Lippard.. Feels like forever ago. That was one of the last wins they had before that long losing streak and their last real statement win. It’s time for another one to come.. I think they have a good shot to do so the next two weeks. But in order to do it they got to make the most of their chances. I’m going with NS in the upset here. Wasn’t that impressed with Patrick on film.

NR Christian at Bishop

Bishop pulled one of the most random upsets I’ve seen in a while last week as they shut down a very athletic Graham team from 40+ points in their opener to six, and ran an old school Wing style ball control clinic to a win. Their offense looked way more competent especially the pass which was deadly for them exactly when they needed it (Graham looked badly coached when Bishop passed,) and their defense handled a very athletic skill core well. Bishop looks to have turned the corner perhaps after that awful opener. This week will say a lot of as North Raleigh Christian is one of their longest rivals. These two used to play in the late 2000’s when I played Bishop and they were always a fun series. NRC has played 2 awful private schools so it’s really hard to judge. I lean Bishop here due to their momentum though.

WS Prep at Walkertown

The Pack played more inspired ball last week despite the shutout. They showed they might have something for 2nd place after all in the mid state. The Pack’s going to be back to being bullies this week as they host WS Prep who lost to a very inept Parkland team last week. Prep is definitely a work in progress especially on offense as they can move anything consistently. Once Davis left their potential dropped to the bottom. Defensively they aren’t that bad it’s the team’s strength but I just don’t see them stopping the Pack. It might be a low scoring game however.

Carver at McMichael?

This game is supposedly still on the best I could find (couldn’t find a definitive answer from either school on social media so your guess is as good as mine,) so I’m gonna act like it is and if it isn’t oh well! Carver won over Highland Tech in a very ugly game down in Gastonia.. Not sure what fully happened as I haven’t seen much film but I guess their defense musta had an off night because I sure didn’t see it. Blackburn I heard had a good night running the ball so I’m sure that was enough to get them over the hump. This game if played means a lot to Carver as it’s a big school and a win here would bring them a lot of momentum and a longer win streak. This is uncharted waters for the Jackets who haven’t done this in quite a while. Haven’t been impressed by McMichael on film so I’ll take a risk and pick Carver here if it does get played. If not then oh well.

Elkin,North Forsyth, Surry Central off

North Surry/West Stokes/West Wilkes still quarantined

Reactions: Sportsnut17
6-3 last week (No idea why I named last week's thread week 4 lol, oops.) Bishop and North Forsyth bit me hard but those were fun upsets.

20-5 so far this year! (not too shabby.) Covid's been a pest so I don't count the cancelled games.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT