ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton at St. Pauls Oct 12th

St Paul's not sleeper anymore
they're definitely not a sleeper; if you ain't played them yet, well let me just say, it will be a challange. I'll admit last spring when they went to the 2AA championship, I discredited them and Salisbury in comparison to the 2A bracket, but I'll take that back now. The St Pauls Bulldogs are for real. The DarkHorses still are too though!

Ashame one of these teams had to lose. These are two very good teams. Blake Smith is a very good qb and those two running backs for St Paul’s are no joke. Both teams are far better than I thought. Tough loss but St Paul’s may just be the most underrated team in the East.
believe me daagoob, they are!

Reactions: Maiden Creek
plieCongrats to St.Pauls not to be premature but looks like they just won the conference championship. For Clinton offensively loved the fight we didn’t give up but this team just doesn’t have it defensively to go against any good team. So i think we win out make the playoffs but i don’t semse anything beyond 1st or 2nd round we will be a low seed have a chance to perhaps spoil someone’s party but not in the category with Northeastern,Wallace,St Paul’s,Princeton,or Whiteville this season. Just the facts
h
Yeah it’s probably not as bad as I’m making it out to be i think about the 2 missed opportunities in the 1st half especially the fumble right at the 2 then fighting to a 38-34 lead and just can’t get that one stop that could probably win the game. Same story as the Ledford game just need to make the one or 2 plays and perhaps it’s a different outcome……by no means is this a bad team but at this point you can’t put them in with the top tier teams already mentioned….we can very well catch someone slipping tho who knows
no its not

Reactions: Maiden Creek
By no means Am I saying we’re a bad team or writing us off. We’re a good team not great but good. Maybe 5 or 6 plays from being undefeated just the key plays and stops we needed to make just didn’t make and both those games imploded from there. Tonight up 38-34 with about 9 mins left I feel like we make one freaking stop we win this game. Just couldn’t get it done. Not trying to make it sound all bad it was a lot of good out there tonight not many teams fight back like we did easily could of laid down when it was 20-8 or 34-24 but we kept on fighting we have a offense that can still give teams fits just need to find a defense in the next month lol don’t get it confused I will always root for the team and hope for the best you can still love your team and dislike their performance tonight I’m just not in love with the defense

Last edited:
what I noticed watching the highlights is how Clinton was trying to tackle Baldwin up high...and with his strength he was breaking a lot of tackles.....seems to be the way most schools try to bring runners down these days......Reidsville included....that said...the Baldwin kid looks really special......Clinton's QB looks to be a playmaker as well.........................

what I noticed watching the highlights is how Clinton was trying to tackle Baldwin up high...and with his strength he was breaking a lot of tackles.....seems to be the way most schools try to bring runners down these days......Reidsville included....that said...the Baldwin kid looks really special......Clinton's QB looks to be a playmaker as well.........................
Tackling has become a lost art, from pop warner level to NFL. Those big strong backs you have to wrap up their legs simple. These players act like it's a sumo wrestling contest when trying to tackle.

Kids are scared to lower the heads in the slightest these days in fear of penalties. Results in upright stiff tackling.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Probably the worst clinton defense I've ever seen. St pauls is not a contender, stop the run they're toast. I blame this on Clinton coaches, teach how to tackle low, helmet on knee cap all night on that big boy. Clinton is not a good team this year, 1st rd exit. St pauls will get smoked by NE simple as that.

I've watched Clinton ball for 30 years, never seen anything so bad on the defense side of the ball. Lewis days never gave up 50 pts, especially 400 to one guy, load the box and take him right outta the game, simple.

Reactions: User20.014
Probably the worst clinton defense I've ever seen. St pauls is not a contender, stop the run they're toast. I blame this on Clinton coaches, teach how to tackle low, helmet on knee cap all night on that big boy. Clinton is not a good team this year, 1st rd exit. St pauls will get smoked by NE simple as that.

I've watched Clinton ball for 30 years, never seen anything so bad on the defense side of the ball. Lewis days never gave up 50 pts, especially 400 to one guy, load the box and take him right outta the game, simple.
UNC91 wrong as usual, if you don’t think St Paul’s is a contender you’re on drugs. Was St Paul’s. not a contender this past spring? Overall I think you are and have always been a hater. Excellent observation on our defense. Things aren’t just quite that simple.

Last edited:
UNC91 wrong as usual, if you don’t think St Paul’s is a contender you’re on drugs. Was St Paul’s. not a contender this past spring? Overall I think you are and have always been a hater. Excellent observation on our defense. Things aren’t just quite that simple.

No hater.... call it like I see it. I know you bleed clinton, but come on man, 400 by one RB???? 2aa last year was as Waterdowned then ever. SP won't be a contender this year. Hope clinton see their faults and improves on stopping the run. I've never seen a clinton defense get ran on like that. Like 34 said clinton won't get outta 1 or 2 rd. Qb at Clinton is a baller wish he had a defense to support him.

Please tell me when u seen a rb go for 400 on a Lewis coached team? I'll wait......

Clinton has faced some great backs in 3p years, never seen anything like that. The rb has zero offers and won't play power 5 ball anywhere

And I know it’s late in the season but Clinton may want to consider a formation change…..never been a fan of a 3 man front too easy to run on

St. Paul’s is a contender and if you think you only have to stop the run lol guess again QB was good as well very poised……If they find a way to toughen up their run defense they will be a tough out…….and they got a lot to play for didn’t realize til reading the story they lost someone prior to the season very sad

Practicing against guys like Nick Cooper and Onyx Martin I learned very quickly why you don’t tackle high trust me it’s a humbling experience 😂😂😂

Oh and I'd take skinner over him 100 outta 100 times. Skinner was never a power 5 recuit. Come on brother you know this

Practicing against guys like Nick Cooper and Onyx Martin I learned very quickly why you don’t tackle high trust me it’s a humbling experience 😂😂😂

Very true brother, only takes one time to learn that lesson........

UNC91 you’ll eat those words about St Paul’s and Baldwin not being a power 5 back.
I’ve seen some GREAT running backs in my time. I think he is one of them and he’s just a junior. You need to go to a St Paul’s game and eyeball him.
You’re comparing coaches? Coach Lewis is a friend of mine, Hall of Fame Coach what he accomplished is in the record books but think how difficult it was for a 27 year old coach not from or have any ties to Clinton, to follow him. Johnson comes in and wins 3 consecutive ECC conference championships .in 3 1/2 seasons his teams have lost only 7 games, ECC COY.
Denfenive adjustment must and will be made. Still 3 weeks till the playoff. Plenty of time for a team to peak. I’m not saying the DarkHorses will win the state championship, but if they don’t they will damn sure have a say in who does

Skinner wasn’t a D1 recruit because the bias that exist within recruiting itself. These scouts rather go to Raleigh,Greensboro,or Charlotte rarely do they seek out players in smaller rural areas 2A and 1A kids at small schools have to go above and beyond just to get noticed. Put Skinner or even Midway’s QB at bigger schools in those cities and I willingly to bet they get way more attention. And I get it scouts probably scared of the Johnnie Fraisers of the world big fish small pond get to big college and flame out but it’s some diamonds in the rough out here at these small 2A schools and I wish they would get more opportunities like those at big metropolitan 4A and 3A schools

Lol idk about that last sentence Wiz I believe adjustments will be made I hope a switch gets flipped and we peak as a team but we will have no say in who wins or goes to state…..I just hope maybe we can spoil someone’s party maybe sneak into round 3 offense is capable

No offers, not on any recruiting site...... you just don't become power 5 outta the blue. Come on brothet I know you know this
So how was Javonte Williams at WRH recruited. He was not. He wasn’t even on the screen. He was seen by the then UNC football coach at a WRH state championship game and offered him on the spot. Heck I heard he was valedictorian if his class and going to Harvard. He’s scoring touchdowns for the Denver Broncos now. Player at small schools don’t get recruited as bug schools. There’s just a bias. Smaller schools good players have to play both ways. I guarantee you Baldwin will be recruited You can’t coach that kind of talent . It’s God given.

Lol idk about that last sentence Wiz I believe adjustments will be made I hope a switch gets flipped and we peak as a team but we will have no say in who wins or goes to state…..I just hope maybe we can spoil someone’s party maybe sneak into round 3 offense is capable
No say, I think you’re wrong, I think the Horses will have a say, winning Stste championship? Not likelhy, but the DarkHorses will be a factor

Well I rather be wrong then right. We make the playoffs we’ll be a lower seed probably have to travel maybe we ruin someone’s party similar to what Eastern Randolph did to us in the Spring

Reactions: sam and UNC91
So how was Javonte Williams at WRH recruited. He was not. He wasn’t even on the screen. He was seen by the then UNC football coach at a WRH state championship game and offered him on the spot. Heck I heard he was valedictorian if his class and going to Harvard. He’s scoring touchdowns for the Denver Broncos now. Player at small schools don’t get recruited as bug schools. There’s just a bias. Smaller schools good players have to play both ways. I guarantee you Baldwin will be recruited You can’t coach that kind of talent . It’s God given.

Yes williams was not highly recruited, yes he got offer after title game. But JW was on recruiting sites I believe number 49 player in NC. I mean the kid won four titles. To compare the two is laughable. If you think the kid from SP is going d1 and power5 you are drunk.......... I hope for the best, but more of bad clinton D then a power5 back. But I respect your observations, not many been around the game as long as you, but I just don't see it in the back from SP

Skinner wasn’t a D1 recruit because the bias that exist within recruiting itself. These scouts rather go to Raleigh,Greensboro,or Charlotte rarely do they seek out players in smaller rural areas 2A and 1A kids at small schools have to go above and beyond just to get noticed. Put Skinner or even Midway’s QB at bigger schools in those cities and I willingly to bet they get way more attention. And I get it scouts probably scared of the Johnnie Fraisers of the world big fish small pond get to big college and flame out but it’s some diamonds in the rough out here at these small 2A schools and I wish they would get more opportunities like those at big metropolitan 4A and 3A schools

Neither is this kid lol skinner was better overall then this kid period. Vision, moves, quickness, grit and abilities to take over the game. Clinton couldn't and didn't stop the run, he was running wild on clinton defense all night 400 yards..... you can't explain to me in any way that this wasn't on clinton d and coaches period.

UNC91 you’ll eat those words about St Paul’s and Baldwin not being a power 5 back.
I’ve seen some GREAT running backs in my time. I think he is one of them and he’s just a junior. You need to go to a St Paul’s game and eyeball him.
You’re comparing coaches? Coach Lewis is a friend of mine, Hall of Fame Coach what he accomplished is in the record books but think how difficult it was for a 27 year old coach not from or have any ties to Clinton, to follow him. Johnson comes in and wins 3 consecutive ECC conference championships .in 3 1/2 seasons his teams have lost only 7 games, ECC COY.
Denfenive adjustment must and will be made. Still 3 weeks till the playoff. Plenty of time for a team to peak. I’m not saying the DarkHorses will win the state championship, but if they don’t they will damn sure have a say in who does

Not comparing coaches brother, not in the same planet of each other. Just saying adjustments should have been made period, force SP to beat you another way, and don’t let the boy run for 400 yards. If you honestly think Lewis would have let this happen you're nuts my friend. Clinton coach hasn't produced in big games AT ALL. Good hire and good resume just has to make adjustments....

Neither is this kid lol skinner was better overall then this kid period. Vision, moves, quickness, grit and abilities to take over the game. Clinton couldn't and didn't stop the run, he was running wild on clinton defense all night 400 yards..... you can't explain to me in any way that this wasn't on clinton d and coaches period.
I pointed out the defense was to blame multiple times….offense did enough to win defense just needed one stop and could not deliver

I pointed out the defense was to blame multiple times….offense did enough to win defense just needed one stop and could not deliver

I know brother, you one of the most non Homer fans on here. You call it like u see it. Clinton defense was disappointing never seen anything close to that performance period. Arm tackles, guys giving up, missed assignments. A few runs, rb clears the line of scrimmage, not a man to beat, clear path to the end zone.

I see your point, but not every school has the same budget and scouts can't make it to every school/game in the country. There's a limited number of scouts for every school. They have a travel budget and probably go to these areas to kill many birds with one stone. I think the smaller schools need to try to schedule those big school games even if it requires some travel. You may have a point about metropolitan areas as 2A schools like Reidsville, Maiden, Shelby Lincolnton, East Lincoln are still in proximity to the larger cities.... then again Richmond Count and AC Reynolds are not in metropolitan areas, same with some big names in South Carolina, but they're not small schools so you have valid concerns.

Clinton isn't that far out from big name competition, they can schedule more. Only so much you can do I know.

I see your point, but not every school has the same budget and scouts can't make it to every school/game in the country. There's a limited number of scouts for every school. They have a travel budget and probably go to these areas to kill many birds with one stone. I think the smaller schools need to try to schedule those big school games even if it requires some travel. You may have a point about metropolitan areas as 2A schools like Reidsville, Maiden, Shelby Lincolnton, East Lincoln are still in proximity to the larger cities.... then again Richmond Count and AC Reynolds are not in metropolitan areas, same with some big names in South Carolina, but they're not small schools so you have valid concerns.

Clinton isn't that far out from big name competition, they can schedule more. Only so much you can do I know.

Like I say all the time, if you a once in lifetime talent, they will find you. Swo small never plays any huge schools in huge metropolitan places. Kendric Burney was a star and showed out to get his respect. 2 sport star for many years. Him getting attention, helped others at swo get looks.

With the camps these days no excuses not to get looks if you got the talent....

Reactions: daagoob
I know brother, you one of the most non Homer fans on here. You call it like u see it. Clinton defense was disappointing never seen anything close to that performance period. Arm tackles, guys giving up, missed assignments. A few runs, rb clears the line of scrimmage, not a man to beat, clear path to the end zone.
Did you go to the game or somehow get a copy of the film?

Like I say all the time, if you a once in lifetime talent, they will find you. Swo small never plays any huge schools in huge metropolitan places. Kendric Burney was a star and showed out to get his respect. 2 sport star for many years. Him getting attention, helped others at swo get looks.

With the camps these days no excuses not to get looks if you got the talent....
Good post

Reactions: buck71 and UNC91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT