ADVERTISEMENT

Please read this article on Charters/Magnets in 1A

And everyone needs to keep making noise throughout the year, not just right now when everything is obvious. The squeaky wheel gets more attention than the quiet one, right?

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
http://m.carolinacoastonline.com/ne...0da-e090-11e5-bb3a-8fa4524f9d99.html?mode=jqm

Any thoughts? I agree that there should not be any 1A schools in the metro areas of NC.

If Forsyth or Mecklenburg or Wake want to draw up district lines that leave some high schools with 400-500 kids, that'd be fine--as long as the only kids a school got lived in that district. Personally, I don't care about creating some urban-rural divide, I care about 1A being made up of schools rooted in a particular community--whether that be a small town or a neighborhood within a bigger place. It comes down to how many kids can you draw from, and when you are in a metro area AND can draw from that entire area, that's where the problem is for me.

Trying to go through the NCHSAA is starting at the wrong place to get something done. Everyone ,no mater where you are from needs to start calling your local newspaper papers radio & TV news and keep calling till they get the problem out there and get on our side. They move if enough people complain and when the Newspapers , Radio TV news start then the ellected people get nervious and then something may get done. Complaining as one to these people goes in one ear and out the other.But when it comes from the news outlets and each of our voices are heard as many instead of one here and there the then the NCHSAA and our elected officials will start to listen ! ! ! Ellecions are coming up this Nov. and we need to keep the phones ringing @ your local news outlets. Don't call one station call them all like every 2 or 3 days. Now is the time ,don't wait till after the elections and start again next year start today and tomorrow and the next day till we are heard ! ! ! Don't just call but email and call the sports and news departments. You want something done then stand up and be heard before the elections.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Trying to go through the NCHSAA is starting at the wrong place to get something done. Everyone ,no mater where you are from needs to start calling your local newspaper papers radio & TV news and keep calling till they get the problem out there and get on our side. They move if enough people complain and when the Newspapers , Radio TV news start then the ellected people get nervious and then something may get done. Complaining as one to these people goes in one ear and out the other.But when it comes from the news outlets and each of our voices are heard as many instead of one here and there the then the NCHSAA and our ellected officals will start to listen ! ! ! Ellecions are coming up this Nov. and we need to keep the phones ringing @ your local news outlets. Don't call one station call them all like every 2 or 3 days. Now is the time ,don't wait till after the elections and start again next year start today and tomorrow and the next day till we are heard ! ! ! Don't just call but email and call the sports and news departments. You want something done then stand up and be heard before the ellections.
Get everyone you know to do this and keep doing it and I am almost sure it will get a lot of attention in the media !

with all those out of district players you might start with taking any banners down in your gym first...lol

Reactions: mbdfan
And when you ban charters from competing, you can go back to accusing Starmount, Mt. Airy, Cherryville, etc. and others for recruiting. Its always the same....If your team doesn't do what YOU think they should do then people (grown ups) start crying about why....then start pointing fingers and making accusatory remarks about people, coaches, and players. Ridiculous to say the least...

Reactions: coach1530
And when you ban charters from competing, you can go back to accusing Starmount, Mt. Airy, Cherryville, etc. and others for recruiting. Its always the same....If your team doesn't do what YOU think they should do then people (grown ups) start crying about why....then start pointing fingers and making accusatory remarks about people, coaches, and players. Ridiculous to say the least...
There are no accusatory remarks being made about charters. We are merely stating facts. They draw kids from larger areas and by default that gives them an advantage. To your point, there have always been problems and always will be. That does not mean that they dont need to be fixed because they do. If you dont have a problem with the influx of Puerto Rican players that happened at Starmount under Kent Phillips then you were hiding in a bomb shelter. Who or what will be the next problem? Who knows, but when there are people or groups of people that are not in line with not only the rules but the spirit of the rules, there has to be a change. The existence of Charters and Magnets and magnitude of the unfairness has made it possible for other fringe issues to exist without being noticed. First we fix the Charter/Magnet problem then we tackle the others.

Put Yourself in our shoes, what would you do?

Just because there is more than one problem in 1A sports doesn't mean the biggest problem should be ignored.

Last edited:
http://m.carolinacoastonline.com/ne...0da-e090-11e5-bb3a-8fa4524f9d99.html?mode=jqm

Any thoughts? I agree that there should not be any 1A schools in the metro areas of NC.

It's really disgraceful, and there's NO other way to put it, and agree that it's been an uphill battle for 1A pubic schools for a while now, and the slope is getting steeper as was revealed by the article above!

Just makes a person wonder why this obvious advantage has been allowed to continue, and grow without the NCHSAA stepping in to make sure it's fair for ALL their 1A membership schools?

Is someone in charge of the NCHSAA on the take?

I don't know, but sure makes a person looking-in from the outside wonder about it?

For me, it's all about EQUALITY and LEADERSHIP, and right now it doesn't appear that there is any of that down at the NCHSAA offices?

Metro 1A schools?....Yeah, that's fair(insert sarcasm)!

there has never been a "level playing field" so it's comical to hear from those who always used the system to their advantage complaining about the "advantaged" schools which are a function of the State Legislature in Raleigh (all those good "R"s). Perhaps that is one small reason why the powers that be couldn't give a rats ass about your complaints.

to the initial poster....how did Starmount let their Puerto Rican pipeline dry up? Now that was a BIG small town district.

Victor Davila was officially adopted by a family living in the Starmount district.

Never said I approved of it, but all kids lived inside the boundaries.

I'm not sure not having a 1A in metro areas is the answer but some type multiplier would be better. (ex) Graystone is located in Northern Stanly county close proximity to several counties and I know at one time had students from Stanly, Cabarrus, Rowan, and Mecklenburg counties.
Victor Davila was officially adopted by a family living in the Starmount district.

Never said I approved of it, but all kids lived inside the boundaries.
I agree with 3D; and the Charter issue just exploded quicker than expected. Btango has been warning about this for years. If you look at the "Traditional Public" 1A schools with multiple championships over the past 10-15 years most have some type advantage. Most coming from transfers. Some like Whiteville and Monroe coming from playing 1A with 2A numbers; plus transfers.

I'm not sure not having a 1A in metro areas is the answer but some type multiplier would be better. (ex) Graystone is located in Northern Stanly county close proximity to several counties and I know at one time had students from Stanly, Cabarrus, Rowan, and Mecklenburg counties.

I agree with 3D; and the Charter issue just exploded quicker than expected. Btango has been warning about this for years. If you look at the "Traditional Public" 1A schools with multiple championships over the past 10-15 years most have some type advantage. Most coming from transfers. Some like Whiteville and Monroe coming from playing 1A with 2A numbers; plus transfers.
Gray Stone also has students from Davidson County.

Just one understanding to this from the "non-traditional" perspective is for us "traditional" to stop complaining. Grow up and agree they are doing everything w/i the guidelines of the system. If they are gone we are just going to complain about which juggernaut "traditional" is recruiting or cheating. Yeah we do that quite a bit from refs to school atmosphere. Just from the Smoky Mountain Co. in the heyday Robbinsville was accused from some of using Stanley (yes this was a rumor) to bring in families with great athletes...then w/ the continuous debacle of transfers w/ Swain & Cherokee even Smoky Mountain. Swain took several shots for taken Cherokees talent base and pretty much depleting their talent pool. Then there is Murphy's alleged student count. So yeah rumors will swirl And yeah we do complain no matter what but a lot of things rang true about the article linked above. How often is it seen that a traditional team can seemingly fix problems w/i a year or two...heck Cherokee's football team is just now recovering to degrees of respectability but what for. For a traditional school it is hard to be good in just one sport on a consistent basis but these non-traditional schools are doing it in varying facets. I had seen just a few of those examples that were pointed out in the article, I was there when the Prep girls won a state championship in track and they did this with maybe 6 girls. Kuddos to them that is a great accomplishment but Prep is spreading their talent everywhere. Robbinsville played Prep and easily handled them and Prep was a great character team on the field but they may not be in the same role of losing w/ the way things are going. These schools like I have stated before are getting deeper and deeper into the football playoffs. (and again these schools dont even have facilities to hold a game) And what a great piece that was wrote that highlighted some of arguments. It will come full circle soon enough and the only thing "some" of the traditional schools have to look forward to is hanging Conference Championship banners in place of the never achievable state championship. I agree to some of the posts that we need to attract media attention to get the questions answered, we need to open some of these deaf ears.

I believe you are incorrect Deana, they did not adopt him they were his legal guardian. From the Roanoke Times " In the four decades that he has been around basketball ________________ had a career defining moment". From ______________ himself "someone knew somebody and I got a call from someone who knew me" and "we had two daughters, 38 and 32 and then we had a 15 year old all of a sudden". Of course this all came out after his high school playing days were over and of course he would have ended up with ______________ at Starmount even if he was a 5'8'' regular student. Like I said, comical to hear complaints from fans whose own schools used the system.

Last edited:
gotta love this annual affair. At the end of the 2011-2012 season much complaining on this site about the "advantaged" Highland Tech, the magnet school from Gaston County, making it to the Western Regional finals. Never mind that they had a decade of losing before that, Never mind that they were 2-23 this year. They're only "advantaged" if they're winning,

I totally understand and respect some of the concerns and issues brought up, but I must admit the only one I thought was pretty laughable was that 1A schools can't be from a metro area. So only rural areas can have small schools? And you are going to convince the General Assembly to only allow charter schools in rural areas and not in the cities? And I already read this guy's article the other 6 times he wrote it. Sounds like you need a new cheerleader since he does not seem to be making any progress.

June 2014- http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/...cle_6c358264-f704-11e3-95e4-001a4bcf887a.html
May 2013- http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/...cle_10845ba0-8beb-11e2-9cf4-001a4bcf887a.html
Dec. 2013- http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/...cle_4d1c4e02-5cff-11e3-bc92-0019bb2963f4.html
July 2015- http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/...cle_341fce7a-2007-11e5-b9a4-6f29effbe744.html
April 2015-http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/sports/article_b8c62706-ddfd-11e4-96ba-0b136f21da57.html
March 2014- http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/...cle_c15b0f12-aa00-11e3-acef-0019bb2963f4.html
and the one from this week- http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/...cle_f6a3f0da-e090-11e5-bb3a-8fa4524f9d99.html

Does anyone know how many "non-traditional" high schools are in the state now that play sports? How many are in the 1A ranks?

You may or may not recall a just a couple years back when the NCHSAA came up with the new transfer rules for all schools that the multiplier was discussed at the NCHSAA Board level and soundly rejected after they consulted with other states who said it made no difference and also realized that the states with multipliers for those schools all allow those schools to be able to have transfers which the NCHSAA does not. I am not giving an opinion on it but just reminding you that they rejected it. Also, the bigger schools protested a multiplier because they didn't want to have to play charters and privates and magnets and they have more influence than the 1A's. Again, I think you realize that besides the love fest that the General Assembly has with charters and private schools who they will back at every step, they also could care less about 1A high school sports no matter how many 1A coaches and message board posters write them letters or call them or show up on their door step. I still think your best bet is for a separate playoff. Again remember that 1A traditional schools will soon enough be the minority in 1A and then it should be easy to have a separate playoff. With the exception of football, they may have enough to do it now.

Does anyone know how many "non-traditional" high schools are in the state now that play sports? How many are in the 1A ranks?
At the 1A level 16 of the 64 teams in the 1A men's basketball tournament this year were advantaged schools. 3 of the 4 schools left in the tournament are advantaged schools and it looks like it's gonna be an all advantaged school championship game. I wonder how many fans will be at that game? Maybe 100 in total?

honestly if they adopt a multiplier in the 1.5-2 range you will see a leveling in the playing field. Charters and magnets are not going anywhere in the NCHSAA but I think you could do a sliding scale based off of the total population of people within a 25 mile radius of your school. For example Graystone Day would be more in line with the 1.5 and Winston Salem prep would be more in line with the 2.

Only problem it won't work because to multiply enrollment by 1.5 or 2 is, WSP's ADM in 2015 was 257 and that X 2 is only 514 ... Mount Airy's ADM was 540 so WSP would still be playing 1A

Last edited:
Only problem with this is WSP's ADM in 2015 was 257 and that X 2 is only 514 ... Mount Airy's ADM was 540 so WSP would still be playing 1A

True but that's the only thing you can do that could have a impact. Really there is no perfect solution but that is a viable option. unless you remove the voucher system completely which won't happen.

True but that's the only thing you can do that could have a impact. Really there is no perfect solution but that is a viable option. unless you remove the voucher system completely which won't happen.
Bulldog, I don't think Charters have anything to do with the voucher system. The vouchers do go to true private schools which do not compete with public, parochial and charter.

I could be wrong, I am sure someone will correct me if I am.

Just play up a level according to your enrollment. Or if you want to be a powerhouse and win multiple state champ move up another until it's level.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
These days of these 1a teams having 3 d1 players in one school that has an enrollment of 300 year after are becoming to obvious. i don't think cherokee has ever had a D1 player and for these schools to have multiple ones year after year then tell the other schools to work harder is just dumb and I can't believe the state can't see this.

NCISAA is not an option because you can't send someone to the NCISAA. They take who they want and reject who they want. The General Assembly has no authority over them. They basically forced Gibbons out due to their size and said in the newspaper they would never accept Charlotte Catholic for the same reason and McGuinness was soon to follow due to their growth at the time after moving from Winston-Salem to Kernersville in between Winston and Greensboro. The big private schools are still very small 1A's in enrollment. More importantly, they don't take charter schools because they are public schools. Again, a separate playoff in 1A is the only option you have a legitimate shot at.

Charter schools do not receive vouchers because they do not have tuition. Public schools funded by the state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT