ADVERTISEMENT

6A Proposal

Now if the General assembly would stay out of the classifications of football.
Have it from two individuals that know the inner workings there that the classification section can and will be changed. To me that shows they do not know as much as they should if that was put in to start with.

OK, Mr, Grizz, since seven classes is eventually coming, what do you think seven classses ought to look like???
Lotta split conferences lol. But some interesting ones...I've piddled with it. Really only looked at the West.

Here's a teaser:

3A/4A (Rutherford/Cleveland/Gaston)
3A Mountain Island Charter
3A Shelby
3A RS Central
4A East Gaston
4A Burns
4A South Point
4A Stuart Cramer

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I think that the definition of "split conference" could change somewhat. Usually, it has been schools in two adjoinging classes (i.e. 1A/2A) forming a conference. Now, with the advent of seven classes, a conference could be made up of teams consisting of three or more classes (i.e. 1A/2A/3A). This has only happened once with the old Northeastern-Albemarle Conference being a 1A/2A/3A conference (1997-2000). That league consisted of 1A teams Northside, Perquimans, and Williamston; 2A teams, Currituck, Holmes, and Plymouth; and 3A Manteo (First Flight hadn't been built yet).

Last edited:
I think that the definition of "split conference" could change somewhat. Usually, it has been schools in two adjoinging classes (i.e. 1A/2A) forming a conference. Now, with the advent of seven classes, a conference could be made up of teams consisting of three or more classes (i.e. 1A/2A/3A). This has only happened once with the old Northeastern-Albemarle Conference being a 1A/2A/3A conference (1997-2000). That league consisted of 1A teams Northside, Perquimans, and Williamston; 2A teams, Currituck, Holmes, and Plymouth; and 3A Manteo (First Flight hadn't been built yet).
And that's about the only area of the state where it would need to happen

Hard to figure anything out until we know if charters move up a class or not.
Also depends if charters have there own class out of the seven.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
Hard to figure anything out until we know if charters move up a class or not.
Also depends if charters have there own class out of the seven.
I think the legislature will mandate that they move up. But they love charters too much to force creation of their own class. More likely to have the scenario one poster suggested where half of 2A are charters.

That's the worse possibility.
2a will suck. 1a will be loaded with schools that would've been 2a.

Reactions: Mbulld
From HSOT version...32 teams in 2A West but only about 17 of them have football teams

Gotta have a multiplier for charters, parochials, and other non-zoned schools. Some of those schools would bounce up more than one class if a 2x multiplier was used. I would set the multiplier somewhere betwen 1.5 x and 3x.

Last edited:
The biggest problem I see is if they don’t designate football only schools for their own classifications then 2A is going to be so uneven. In 2A West there are only 18 teams that have a football team...16 will make the playoffs and 2 won't. In 2A east there are only 15 football playing schools...they would all make it and the 1 seed will get a 1st round bye.

This has to be addressed.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Lotta split conferences lol. But some interesting ones...I've piddled with it. Really only looked at the West.

Here's a teaser:

3A/4A (Rutherford/Cleveland/Gaston)
3A Mountain Island Charter
3A Shelby
3A RS Central
4A East Gaston
4A Burns
4A South Point
4A Stuart Cramer
How about this with no split 3A?
Shelby
Maiden
Bandys
Bunker Hill
Lincolnton
West Lincoln
Mountain Island Charter

straight up 3a conference would be maiden, Bunker Hill, Bandy's, Lincolnton, west Lincoln and Patton. Just my opinion

Reactions: flyrod5518
3a/4a split conference would be maiden,Bunker Hill, Bandy's, Newton Conover, Fred t Foard, Lincolnton, west Lincoln
Lincolnton and West Lincoln they get in because they're our neighbors. So we got to give them a free pass to come along with us 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Now, I am wondering about North Moore and Union Pines. I can see UP in a 5A league. But, I have no clue about North Moore. NM will most likely wind up in some kind of split conference (1A/2A, 2A/3A, or even 1A/2A/3A).

Can't wait to see your entire list of conferences for seven classes in NC,

Now, I am wondering about North Moore and Union Pines. I can see UP in a 5A league. But, I have no clue about North Moore. NM will most likely wind up in some kind of split conference (1A/2A, 2A/3A, or even 1A/2A/3A).

4AEJordan-Matthews
4AENorthwood
4AESeaforth
5AESouthern Lee
5AETriton
5AEWestern Harnett
5AEUnion Pines
5AEHarnett Central

1AEChatham Central
1AEUnion
1AERosewood
1AELakewood
1AEHobbton
2AENorth Moore
2AEPrinceton

This one was kinda stretched out...but it was worse with no split

4AEJordan-Matthews
4AENorthwood
4AESeaforth
5AESouthern Lee
5AETriton
5AEWestern Harnett
5AEUnion Pines
5AEHarnett Central

This comes pretty close ... However, I did have this in mind though ...

5A East - Union Pines, Southern Lee, Western Harnett, Harnett Central, Triton, and South Johnston.

All these schools played together in the Cape Fear Valley 3A Conference from 2005-2009.

Last edited:
1AEChatham Central
1AEUnion
1AERosewood
1AELakewood
1AEHobbton
2AENorth Moore
2AEPrinceton

This one was kinda stretched out...but it was worse with no split

I thnk you may need to put Chatham Central and North Moore in the West.

Though a five-team conference may not be too favorable, there has been a few of them in recent years. And, with that being said ...

1A West - Chatham Central, South Davidson, North Rowan, Albemarle, and South Stanly.

Throw in North Moore and North Stanly for a 1A/2A split.

I could also see North Moore in this league ...

2A West - North Moore, Wheatmore, Trinity, Thomasville, Providence Grove, and Eastern Randolph.

Throw in Southwestern Randolph, East Davidson, and West Davidson for a 2A/3A split.

Last edited:
The 6A/7A split involving 6A Scotland, Purnell Swett Lumberton as well as 7A teams Pinecrest, Hoke County, Richmond, and JackBritt does bear resemblance to the original 4A Sandhills Athletic Conference (minus 71st).

I can see the following 6A East league happening:

6A East - Lee County, Overhills 71st, Cape FearSouth View and Pine Forest.

I can see this 4A/5A split league taking place:

4A/5A East - (4A) Douglas Byrd,Red Springs and Fairmont. (5A) Gray's Creek, Westover, Terry Sanford, E.E. Smith, and St. Pauls.

We may not completely agree on conferences, but it is fun to compare notes with other folks.

Now, I am just curious where Montgomery Central could wind up going. I think they'll stay in the West. Can't see them going East.

Grizz, since you earlier mentioned Jordan-Matthews, Northwood, and Seaforth playing in a split 4A/5A league, I thought of this idea ....

4A East - Wesern Alamance, Seaforth, Southeast Alamance, Cummings, Northwood, Graham, and Jordan-Matthews.

Last edited:
It's easy to look at pieces in certain parts of the puzzle...but when doing this you really got to look at the puzzle as a whole...all the pieces at once.

There are several outcomes that would work...but it really only works out if you start on the outsides and work your way in.

would they go conference or region for the next realignment in 2025 because if you look at south carolina conference lineup you have regions with 5-6 teams in those seperate regions/conference

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT