ADVERTISEMENT

Please read this article on Charters/Magnets in 1A

That is certainly true that they are public schools funded by state dollars. But the bigger issue is "where should they play among the league for the public schools?" We have an outdated system that just goes by enrollment--which was for the most part equitable when all schools had districts, but isn't any more. The landscape of public education as changed in this state and now it's time for the NCHSAA to respond with changes of its own.

1A administrators should vote to leave the NCHSAA. Then they would not have to depend on voting of schools who could care less about issues that have yet to affect them. Its that simple.

I understand that Forsyth and Rowan counties have open enrollment. Are there other school systems in North Carolina that do as well?

Stanly County has a limited one that they instituted last year. Not sure if that was a one time thing. I do believe it was institued more to let people move their children from Albemarle to the county schools.

I think a lot of counties have allow some movement but it may not be set policy. Some schools are allowed to take in transfers for various reasons while other schools in the county are not.

Pitt County just went open enrollment based from what I understand. It was only Rose that was open to transfers but it went county wide.

I do not think Rowan is a complete "open enrollment" county.

I understand that Forsyth and Rowan counties have open enrollment. Are there other school systems in North Carolina that do as well?
I understand that Pitt county will be starting open enrollment next year.

tango, it looks as if you're right about Rowan County. According to their website, only North Rowan has open enrollment.

tango, it looks as if you're right about Rowan County. According to their website, only North Rowan has open enrollment.

Yes, but we have found over the years that a couple of schools seem to get students from the North Rowan district and that a couple of schools that won state titles seemed to get a few players from outside their district.

Reactions: Champ_24
2.0 would put WSP in 1AA which would be a better fit. They don't need to b playing schools with 300 kids.

There ADM for 2015 was 257 ... Even if they do it times 2 that is 514 and still in 1A

Last edited:
I agree bareman. They will simply take the steps required to keep enrollment down enough where they would still be in 1a. Now that is the case with Prep. With most of the charters, the multiplier would work.

It would help. CSOD would be2a and WSP would be borderline 1aa. That helps.

One reason it is tough to vote against the non traditional (EDIT: change from charters) is because 2A schools do not want to compete with them either. It may not be the competition in many cases but what it can do to conference alignments, gates, and football scheduling.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I really don't think most 2A schools are worried about charters (just to clarify...Bishop McGuinness is a private Catholic School and Winston Salem is a Magnet school run by the same school district - Forsyth County...they are not charter schools). If you look back at the last 5 years of all 1A state championships (20 different sports sanctioned by NCHSAA), charter schools have only won four state titles (yes, four out of 100 potential titles) with one in men's soccer and three in women's soccer. Once again, there are only 15 charters in the state that even go up to the 12th grade level and most don't even offer football because they cannot afford it. I'm sure the numbers will increase in time but it is way too early to be talking about multipliers, separate conferences or separate championships for charter schools.

I really don't think most 2A schools are worried about charters (just to clarify...Bishop McGuinness is a private Catholic School and Winston Salem is a Magnet school run by the same school district - Forsyth County...they are not charter schools). If you look back at the last 5 years of all 1A state championships (20 different sports sanctioned by NCHSAA), charter schools have only won four state titles (yes, four out of a 100 potential titles) with one in men's soccer and three in women's soccer. Once again, there are only 15 charters in the state that even go up to the 12th grade level and most don't even offer football because they cannot afford it. I'm sure the numbers will increase in time but it is way too early to be talking about multipliers, separate conferences or separate championships for charter schools.

You are correct. I should havev written "non traditional" schoools. I base this statement on my conversations with coaches and ADs from across the state that I have discussed this with.

I also agree that it is not time to do a separate conference although I do think multipliers or playing up needs to have an indepth review. One thing I am against is more championships or brackets.

Definitely agree on being against more championships!!! My last point is that I don't see a reason to apply multipliers to charter schools at this time (or separate conferences/championships). Multipliers or playing up may make sense for WSP or Bishop but I could really care less if they win 10 straight state championships in a particular sport. I just want my children to get a great public education, have the opportunity to compete in high school athletics (whether they win or lose) and have a great high school experience.

Reactions: coach1530
scot4boys, several years ago Bishop was actually working with the NCHSAA on a plan whereby if schools won a number of championships in one sport over a certain period of time then they would be moved up a classification for a period of time. It never went to a vote as some schools who had been successful in sports like softball and tennis objected. People need to quit taking cheap shots at the NCHSAA folks.They are hardly incompetent or "on the take" as some morons have suggested.

3daughters...I agree with your comments on the NCHSAA folks...they have a very difficult job dealing with a wide variety of constituents! Just curious, for the "moving up a classification" concept, was this only for the particular sport? It sounds good but I admit any school that has worked hard to establish a tradition, regardless of the sport, probably would not commit to this rule and it must be a bit cumbersome to manage from a scheduling standpoint.

There was such an outcry against Bishop women's basketball so Bishop was actively involved with formulating the plan. Originally it was only for non-traditional schools but then other schools wanted it to be across the board, ie soccer, softball, tennis etc and that is when it all fell apart.

That is not quite true. I remember reading on here and in the newspapers that it was proposed but then it was actually voted down by the NCHSAA Board. The schools that helped put it together were surprised because it got voted down by public school members of the NCHSAA Board who thought it was unfair to the non-traditional schools and non-traditional schools representatives helped propose it. It was very strange.

That's because of the pressure they were getting from traditional schools that the rule would be extended once it was on the books so they nipped it in the bud from the get go. I was in several meeting about the drafting and yes it was very strange indeed.

I think the issue was that the NCHSAA felt it should count for all schools if one it was going to be instituted for one school and that was not deemed to be fair. At the time charters were not really excelling in sports. It was Prep, Bishop, and to some extent Catholic but they were moving to 4A so that was seen as a leveling of the field for them.

Last edited:
The NCHSAA has done everything their members have wanted. Blame the board which is comprised of public schools.

The NCHSAA has done everything their members have wanted. Blame the board which is comprised of public schools.
When we blame the NCHSAA we are not only blaming the leadership but the board as well after all they do respresent the same organization right. 3D I do agree with part of your post above, I do not think that they are on the take. I will leave it at that.

Knights I know this and you know this, but this argument will fall on def ears here. While some will agree that they have an advantage. They will recruit, load the floor and bench with talent and when you point out that they have an unfair advantage, some will get puffed up. Praise their coach and call you a "lazy, rural folk, moron, and tell you to get better". Personally I think that the ones who result to these tactics feels that if they can insult us we will keep our mouth shut, so things won't change and then they can dominate 1A for years to come. The only way things will change is for all the REAL (TRADITIONAL) 1A schools stand up show they have a back bone ban together and tell the NCHSAA they have a certain amount of time (no more than 2 seasons) to get this matter straightened out, give 1A back to the REAL (TRADITIONAL) 1A schools or we will all walk and form our own organization. Let them choose 80 of us or the 20 of them.

I agree Viking Strong ... for the NCHSAA to make a change we will need all 1A schools to ban together and ultimately whatever is proposed will have to have a financial impact on the NCHSAA. I understand that this topic has been discussed for years and years and has been brushed aside. They apparently have no interest in making fair and just decisions for all schools - 1A has been the ugly stepchild for decades. A new organization may very well be the solution.

Lol. Again Prep is in Forsyth co. Open enrollment in all Forsyth co schools. Some of you ppl. Smh. Lord bless your heart. Just because you apply to go to a charter school doesn't mean you're automatically accepted. Lol trust me if Prep was getting the best playersbin Forsyth Co. Nobody in 1a would within 20-30 of them. So continue to use the recruiting word if it makes you sleep better at night. :)

Lol. Again Prep is in Forsyth co. Open enrollment in all Forsyth co schools. Some of you ppl. Smh. Lord bless your heart. Just because you apply to go to a charter school doesn't mean you're automatically accepted. Lol trust me if Prep was getting the best playersbin Forsyth Co. Nobody in 1a would within 20-30 of them. So continue to use the recruiting word if it makes you sleep better at night. :)
Prep has had the most talent over the last ten years on average in forsyth county. The county has not been that strong. The prep teams back in 2009 and 2010 were their best teams and they didn't win championships. West Stokes won 2 or 3 games against them in 2010 with a well coached and talented team but how often will that happen. In basketball prep should be in the 2a playoffs and most years could really compete and possibly still win states. You must not live in the forsyth county area to think 1a's in this area have a shot against these guys. Some games are laughable

But players can be persuaded to go to that school by team members and staff. That's the problem with open enrollment.

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
If there is going to be open enrollment in the county require a 365 day set out for sports from day of enrollment after first day of freshman year if the new school is not the home district school for his residence.

Oh champ thanks for bringing up those 2 points. Should the public be paying taxes to a school who can turn down a student that lives in the immediate area that wants to attend the school? The answer is no. No state dollars should go to a school that hand picks there students. That's why they should be a private school and make their funds with tuition instead of tax payer dollars. Now on to your 2nd point. WS Prep does have a 20+ point ADVANTAGE against most traditional 1A schools. What 1A has WS PREP not beat by 20+ (except Mount Airy) come on this is not rocket science. WS PREP is a 20+ point favorite against the majority of traditional 1A and it has everything to do with their ability to RECRIUT! I can see the light bulb in your smiley face trying to come on! You almost understand.

All they need is 5 to 7 of the top BB players in a county of 361,000 people of which around 23% are high school age. Also WSP is not a charter school it is a magnet school meaning anyone that choses to go there can if great in sports... We will be more than happy to let them enter your conference .....Check your facts WS Prep & Bishop have a huge advantage . ;) LOL

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT