ADVERTISEMENT

Best Sports Counties

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
When you look across NC there are some counties that are some of the best towns/cities to be in because Sports are just that good and when I think of example of one of the best places sports wise in Western NC I would say Cleveland Co is among the best with Shelby, Crest, Burns and others.

One county that UNDER performs is Iredell CO. - Iredell CO should be better then what they are also If you look at Iredell county team history esp in football vs Outside County teams like example West Forsyth played 3 out of 6 county team and WON all 3. Not many championships are won in Iredell co but a handful in some sports like Best sport in Iredell CO is Wrestling and possibly Soccer

What county/counties do you think are among the best ?

Guilford, and Forsyth are pretty good when it comes to being good in many different sports. I think Wake county under performs due to the fact that the county does not care about sports. Plus Wake county is it's own entity. Very few times will you see teams in that county step out and play teams from (Winston, Greensboro, Charlotte, Durham, Fayetteville)

Cleveland County does pretty well across multiple sports.
State titles I know of in...
Wrestling
Football
Tennis
Volleyball
Baseball
Soccer
Softball

Not bad for a 4 high school county.
which school is the baseball powerhouse?

Craven County for football. Small county has produced 4 different schools that have played in the state title the last 15 years along with 6 state champion teams in that time period and another handful of runner-ups.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I think Wake County has made huge strides in football over the last 10 years or so and Im not a Wake County homer I'm from Fayetteville. Cardinal Gibbons has won state, Wake Forest won it 3 times. Rolesville and Leesville Road have made noise as well. There was a time when Fayetteville teams beat Raleigh teams with ease but no longer. On the other hand Fayetteville seems to have fallen off the map in football. Huge decline there in on the field results and just about all teams have dropped from 4A to 3A .

Craven County for football. Small county has produced 4 different schools that have played in the state title the last 15 years along with 6 state champion teams in that time period and another handful of runner-ups.
Havelock, New Bern, and West Craven. Who is the fourth?

Havelock, New Bern, and West Craven. Who is the fourth?
Pamlico, right over the bridge from New Bern. Technically, it’s Pamlico County but I can get to Pamlico High quicker than I can get to Havelock/West Craven. 4 area schools have made the title game in recent years from 4 different classifications.

Cleveland County does pretty well across multiple sports.
State titles I know of in...
Wrestling
Football
Tennis
Volleyball
Baseball
Soccer
Softball

Not bad for a 4 high school county.
When talking about all sports, you have to consider Lacrosse, Cross Country, Golf, Field Hockey, Swimming & Diving, Track & Field, Indoor Track, Women's Wrestling, etc. I'm not sure if Cleveland County even offers all of these sports, but I know many schools in the Triad do and are successful at a championship level.

Last edited:
I just looked up Cleveland County High school sports offerings, looks like no Lacrosse, no Field Hockey, no Indoor Track, no Diving.

When taking into consideration the counties that offer the most amount of sports. Guilford, Forsyth, Wake (also Durham Co and Orange Co), & Mecklenburg.
I'm not sure about New Hanover Co. but a lot of schools in these counties are competitive at State Championship levels in ALL of the sports offered. I know for sure schools that compete at a high level are (in no particular order) Page, Grimsley, NW Guilford, East and West Forsyth, Mt Tabor, Reagan, Charlotte Catholic, Myers Park, Weddington, Cardinal Gibbons and Wake Forest. (I know I'm missing quite a few) Of course you can argue that some of these schools don't really compete in football at a State championship level, but quite a few of them have and will continue to do so.

When talking about all sports, you have to consider Lacrosse, Cross Country, Golf, Field Hockey, Swimming & Diving, Track & Field, Indoor Track, Women's Wrestling, etc. I'm not sure if Cleveland County even offers all of these sports, but I know many schools in the Triad do and are successful at a championship level.
I believe state champs in track and field and women's wrestling. 2 Olympic runners out of Crest in Manteo Mitchell and Travis Padgett. Again, just a little rural county in Western NC trying its best.

pretty sure 90 percent of people on this forum care about the msin 3 sports...

Reactions: beamer24
yea...your right i guess...Im sure its still being discussed more than swimming,diving, lacrosse,crosscountry etc
I agree with what you are saying, but lacrosse is coming on strong. Probably better attended than a lot of baseball games. Don’t get me wrong either, I am a big baseball fan

Reactions: nwguilford007
One sport I would like to see is Rugby I know Hough and Langtree has one

AZ has more sports sanctioned then we do they like boys n girls beach volleyball n normal volleyball both girls n boys and woman wrestling is official sport (is female wrestling here a sanctioned sport?) etc

One sport I would like to see is Rugby I know Hough and Langtree has one

AZ has more sports sanctioned then we do they like boys n girls beach volleyball n normal volleyball both girls n boys and woman wrestling is official sport (is female wrestling here a sanctioned sport?) etc
A lot of schools now have beach volleyball and female wrestling will be sanctioned next year.

A lot of schools now have beach volleyball and female wrestling will be sanctioned next year.
I think in AZ there 16 total Sanctions sports in believe so But I’m glad NC is expanding and Glad to see Female Wrestling is going be sanctioned

I agree with what you are saying, but lacrosse is coming on strong. Probably better attended than a lot of baseball games. Don’t get me wrong either, I am a big baseball fa
A lot of wrestling fans would dispute that. Certainly more popular than baseball in the Thomasville area.
I hear….my Vikings had a pretty good wrestling team this year….I can live with that. But doubt many on hear follow the diving and swim teams etc

Reactions: ocdavis31
Missing out on the top two Football and Basketball recently but in the last 15 years. Only three teams really represented

State champion
Wrestling-Laney
Boys Soccer-NHHS
Girls XC-Hoggard
Softball-Hoggard
Baseball-NHHS,Laney
Football-Hoggard, NHHS
Basketball-NHHS

With Runner ups and Eastern Runner Ups in
Baseball-Ashley, Girls Soccer-Hoggard, Lacrosse-Hoggard, Volleyball-Hoggard and Mens XC-Hoggard.

Reactions: portcity FB
Regarding adding more sports, I recently found out that men's volleyball is now a club sport at several high schools here in NC (Draughn and Watauga both have teams for example). I think it could be a fairly cheap alternative sport for a lot of schools to add so that guys can play volleyball and I hope it grows.

Regarding adding more sports, I recently found out that men's volleyball is now a club sport at several high schools here in NC (Draughn and Watauga both have teams for example). I think it could be a fairly cheap alternative sport for a lot of schools to add so that guys can play volleyball and I hope it grows.
I just found out too. Saw a twitter on Watauga playing West Forsyth earlier this week. WSFCS has had MS boys volleyball for about 10 years. I officiate volleyball and the MS boys love it.

In AZ Boy Volleyball is Sanctioned its popular sport

Reactions: FreedomAlum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT