ADVERTISEMENT

North Davidson players

BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
Not sure how many of you will see this, but here goes. You gentlemen are a fine unit and one of the best North Davidson has ever produced. You have an amazing set of coaches and should appreciate the time and effort they put out to improve your skills and teach the game. That said, you must be smart on the field, make good decisions, and wipe out the stupid, unnecessary penalties. There is nothing wrong with playing hard and hitting hard. But the excessive stuff and attitude needs to stop. Stay focused and you are a team capable of winning a state title. You are winners. Act like you've been there before. Good luck and stay safe with injuries. Do your homework, set an example as leaders for others to follow in school. Go get it boys, we believe in you and what you can accomplish.

- Nathan Brent Coltrane, class of 2007, #64 left tackle and 3 technique, proud Black Knight and US Marine

Not sure how many of you will see this, but here goes. You gentlemen are a fine unit and one of the best North Davidson has ever produced. You have an amazing set of coaches and should appreciate the time and effort they put out to improve your skills and teach the game. That said, you must be smart on the field, make good decisions, and wipe out the stupid, unnecessary penalties. There is nothing wrong with playing hard and hitting hard. But the excessive stuff and attitude needs to stop. Stay focused and you are a team capable of winning a state title. You are winners. Act like you've been there before. Good luck and stay safe with injuries. Do your homework, set an example as leaders for others to follow in school. Go get it boys, we believe in you and what you can accomplish.

- Nathan Brent Coltrane, class of 2007, #64 left tackle and 3 technique, proud Black Knight and US Marine
Well said, BKN. Solid advice most of which could apply to a lot of high school teams. It would be a shame if failure to heed it prevented the Black Knights from achieving their ultimate goal.

Good post. In the later rounds of the playoffs, composure is often the difference between winning and losing. A few poor decisions over a five minute span cost the 2012 team a shot at a 4A title that it was definitely talented enough to win.
In the later rounds, all of the teams are good. The ones that keep their heads usually win.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BLACKKNIGHTNUT!!

My Sophomore year I was thrown out of a game for a retaliation of something that I had made the Refs aware of two plays earlier. One of my coaches told me something I'll never forget. He said "you may be able to justify this to yourself, but you cant to your team that has to play without you for most of the 2nd half. Its a team game so always know that its way bigger than you." That coach was Mike Lambros.

2005 Ledford vs North Davidson... Thadd Williams and Ben Cope sack the Ledford quarterback. A Ledford lineman runs up and shoves Thadd to the ground from the back. Cope goes after that guy, Thadd comes back and gets into it with another guy and they both get ejected.

Ledford will cheap shot and try to bait you. Just saying.

Since Coach Brown left,Thomasville has had major disapline issues,that was always,always a Thomasville staple
In all fairness, the issues existed during the last few years of Coach Brown’s tenure too. What has changed is that they now appear to be tolerated, both by the staff, and especially by the administration. It seems that the end (graduation) justifies the means (lack of accountability or consequences).
I believe that a coach needs to establish a zero tolerance policy from day one for behavior detrimental to the team. An occasional personal foul may be the result of too much exuberance. There is, however, no excuse for unsportsmanlike conduct. And off field behavior should be regulated in the same way. The perception of a team, a school, and even a system is often determined by the actions of players on a field or court, or out in the community.
Where Coach Brown excelled was in finding ways to motivate players to succeed...both positive and negative motivation. The administration stopped supporting his duty to do that when Keith Tobin retired.

Agreed. Coaches can't really hold kids accountable anymore for fear of backlash from parents, administration etc. When I played coaches had ways of motivation that maybe was borderline. I guess it was a "what happens at practice stays at practice" thing. I feel like some of it made me a stronger person. Today I see these very athletic, well gifted, strong athletes that can't be coached. Maybe it's the ME generation in them. I have stories of things that were said or done at practice that didn't make it home to Mommy and Daddy that I laugh about know.

I like the “ what happens at practice stays at practice”. Of course then you get some nut coach who runs the kids 300 time up the hill in 100 degrees weather with no water then makes them hit the sled for 2 hours and threatens to get him and everybody else to blackball the kid if he tells on him. Ruins it for the good coach’s.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut

Oorah, Marine!!!

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT