ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIALS

buzzcoach

Apr 26, 2004
winston salem nc
https://www.qcnews.com/news/u-s/nor...als-for-high-school-sports-commissioner-says/ I have herd a lot of complaining at playoff games about officiating either on here or in the stands. I will be honest its not been good. I had a guy ask me why is the officiating not good after he was yelling at the officials and said bc of people yelling at them. Was funny if you were their. Anyway I reminded him NC has still a official's shortage as the older guys are retiring the younger guys coming in just stay two years and quit. Just remember when you are yelling at the officials Friday night and i'm including my self just tell yourself there is a shortage bc of fans and coaches bad behaviors and this is what you get. If it keeps going in this direction there will be no games. You want the best of the best in these playoff games and we are just not getting it anymore. These guys are working there butts off and have the effort it's just they may not have the experience to work the playoffs yet with two good teams where the action is quicker but are having to be used due to shortages of experienced refs.

Reactions: thekidd12
Will probably get the more experience ones with less games to play. Some of the same guys may do basketball. It's up to the players and the coaches to adjust as all refs call little different at every level.

I'd say we are getting close to basketball and soccer dropping to 2 officials. Football may be close behind to dropping 1. Baseball and softball have games played with 1.

People are going to reap what they sow but sadly they'll never take accountability.

Football was discussed going to seven officials in the earlier rounds, but I am sure that wasn’t possible because of lack of officials. I know our association had 26 games opening round. That’s 130 officials on the field with have half or more of those schools asking for ECO also. A normal night for us is around 35 games. At 35 games some were moved to Thursday night if a team didn’t have a JV team.

It is not just a NC problem or just a football problem. It is all sports and all states.

Last edited:
I'd say we are getting close to basketball and soccer dropping to 2 officials. Football may be close behind to dropping 1. Baseball and softball have games played with 1.

People are going to reap what they sow but sadly they'll never take accountability.
I have officiated high school basketball with two person crews and with three. Frankly, I think the officiating is better with two.

We had a very good crew at the Sout West Edgecombe & Whiteville game. They were top notch and only missed one call that I saw. I don't know where they were from, but I would like to see them at NE game. Best I have seen all year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT