ADVERTISEMENT

New proposed 6-class realignment model

SimmonsRatings

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2008
I have created a new 6-class realignment model using just football schools first (smaller 6A and 1A with larger 5A thru 2A) and then adding non-football schools back in. I welcome any feedback you may have. You can find it at http://www.simmonsratings.com under the HS football section.

I have created a new 6-class realignment model using just football schools first (smaller 6A and 1A with larger 5A thru 2A) and then adding non-football schools back in. I welcome any feedback you may have. You can find it at http://www.simmonsratings.com under the HS football section.
Hey man I like it why not present it to the NCHSAA for future consideration it look good.

I was suggesting 6 or 8 classifications several years ago when everone started talking 2017 realignment . Why 8 you may ask ? What do you think we have now 1A - 1AA thru 4A - 4AA is basicly 8 classifications. But 6 would probably work better because of boarderline schools ADMs being up and down every year or 2 ....

I was suggesting 6 or 8 classifications several years ago when everone started talking 2017 realignment . Why 8 you may ask ? What do you think we have now 1A - 1AA thru 4A - 4AA is basicly 8 classifications. But 6 would probably work better because of boarderline schools ADMs being up and down every year or 2 ....

So you want eight state champions in all non football sports? Seems there is good parity in most sports although the 1A class has an issue with the charters, a parochial, and open magnets.

We currently have a state football champion for every 49 schools that field a team. Really would love to see that cut down.

I think the key is not to change the number of classifications but to change the way the football playoffs are set up and figure out something for the non traditionals.

So you want eight state champions in all non football sports? Seems there is good parity in most sports although the 1A class has an issue with the charters, a parochial, and open magnets.

We currently have a state football champion for every 49 schools that field a team. Really would love to see that cut down.

I think the key is not to change the number of classifications but to change the way the football playoffs are set up and figure out something for the non traditionals.
Just football as it is now and no change in other sports need because there is 8 champions now in football ! I do think there needs to be a change. SimmonsRatings 6 classifications combined with your figure out something for the non traditionals sounds great . Lets do it ! !
  1. 1A
  2. 1AA
  3. 2A
  4. 2AA
  5. 3A
  6. 3AA
  7. 4A
  8. 4AA

Last edited:
How about 5 classifications - keep 4, but create a classification for charters/parochials. If you take those out, then divide what's remaining it would shift the ADM numbers enough to ensure parity and you could then have 4 traditional state champs in all sports (including football) plus a state champ from charters/parochials.

Reactions: BK13T-$
How about 5 classifications - keep 4, but create a classification for charters/parochials. If you take those out, then divide what's remaining it would shift the ADM numbers enough to ensure parity and you could then have 4 traditional state champs in all sports (including football) plus a state champ from charters/parochials.

They won't separate the charters etc. I think the 5 classifications would be a real possibility to be honest that would atleast somewhat level the playing field in 1a. I do like the parity of the 6a classifications I just don't see the nchsaa going from 4-6 but definitely could see them in the near future going to 5. Especially with the new playoff system to cut from 64 to 48 teams.

Reactions: Slasher Killer

I feel confident the coaches/schools will never accept four state champions in football. The horse is out of the barn on that one. I honestly believe if they went to five classes many coaches/schools would want to subdivide to ten.

The question that always comes up about the charter/parochial is that does not do anything with WSP among other small schools in urban areas that are magnets and not charters. Charlotte Catholic and Cardinal Gibbons would need to stay in the regular classification although I think there a few other rules I would like to see.

If the state adds another level how would it affect 1A overall? Let's say there are 5 solid levels in the future at some point and the 5th level is for all schools, not just for the charter/other schools. Would the smaller 2A's on the bubble be solid 1A's then or would it stay the status quo?

More classifications depending on how the schools are divided would determine the structure but typically the larger 1A schools would move up.

I like it because looking at his proposal in all classes they are mostly same ADM numbers in each conf. Very few split with low travel.

Football alignment with strong x. Non football alignment the same as it is or back to the 25% split per classification.

You'd have to see split classification conferences if you do up to 6A.. NCHSAA wont do that cause it will create more travel for schools. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-===-=-=-

Six is not happening from everything I have heard over the years. Main reasons I have heard based on various proposals for five and six classes is travel, split conferences, non conference scheduling, and non football playoffs.

Why not keep the 4 classes then split for playoffs just like football and have 8 champs in everything.

Why not keep the 4 classes then split for playoffs just like football and have 8 champs in everything.
I LIKE that proposal but there ain't enough money in doing that unfortunately. More football games means more cash for all.

Basketball does ok.

My fav baseball has the same crowd at almost every game unless you make it to 3rd round or so then it picks up.

Money is always the driving force.

I LIKE that proposal but there ain't enough money in doing that unfortunately. More football games means more cash for all.

Basketball does ok.

My fav baseball has the same crowd at almost every game unless you make it to 3rd round or so then it picks up.

Money is always the driving force.

Just have less teams in.

No reason to have more than 32 in baseball.

The non football sports have had very competitive playoffs where we see smaller schools in the mix for titles. The coaches if those sports have not called for subdividing as the 1A coaches did for the 2001 season.

Football is a game where numbers and depth seem to be more important but I think that a state champion for every 49 schools is ridiculous.

Bottom line, setup a system and alignment fir football and a separate one fir the other sports.

The non football sports have had very competitive playoffs where we see smaller schools in the mix for titles. The coaches if those sports have not called for subdividing as the 1A coaches did for the 2001 season.

Football is a game where numbers and depth seem to be more important but I think that a state champion for every 49 schools is ridiculous.

Bottom line, setup a system and alignment fir football and a separate one fir the other sports.
btango I agree with you to a certain extent. Football does have a lot of championships for the number of teams that play. And yet in the so-called "lesser" sports, that have a larger number of high schools participating, the state championships are reduced?

However numbers and depth are also important in baseball/basketball/soccer. The more athletes you have to choose from, the better the team is. Yes a smaller school can compete with a larger one more easily in such sports sometimes but again those numbers come into effect eventually. In baseball, for example, the new pitch count rules have made depth on the staff extremely important.

I think such a system would be just as good for other sports as well as the all mighty football.

Just have less teams in.

No reason to have more than 32 in baseball.
Why do we need no more than 32? Just asking I realize with 64 many of the lower seeds are just taking a one time trip in the playoffs however last spring in 3A alone 3 teams in the final 16 would not have been in a just 32 team playoff, one of them lost 2-1 in final eight. All I am saying is if you look at the scores of the baseball playoffs of high seeds versus lower seeds they are much more competitive than the 77-0 scores of 1st round football.

Why do we need no more than 32? Just asking I realize with 64 many of the lower seeds are just taking a one time trip in the playoffs however last spring in 3A alone 3 teams in the final 16 would not have been in a just 32 team playoff, one of them lost 2-1 in final eight. All I am saying is if you look at the scores of the baseball playoffs of high seeds versus lower seeds they are much more competitive than the 77-0 scores of 1st round football.

If I had my way,

It would be 32 teams in for baseball

First round would be best of 3 series.

Round of 16 would be best of 3 series.

Once it is down to 8 teams,

There would be a double elimination tournament at a neutral site.

The schools requested the baseball and basketball playoffs be expanded Not the NCHSAA.

Still, it all comes down to that gate $$$ ....

Not arguing that money is always part of the equation but the NCHSAA has put forth several proposals to reduce the number of playoff teams and even number of football champions over the last four or so years. They requested 1A and 4A to drop to 32 teams in 2017 and had requested the same of only 1A previously. I think it has a lot to do with coaches wanting the playoff spot for various reasons.

...I think it has a lot to do with coaches wanting the playoff spot for various reasons.

Even if it has nothing to do with money, most coaches want as much time with their kids as possible. Even in college, one of the biggest benefits of a bowl game is the extra practice time for your kids next year. In HS, if you get an extra week with your kids and even pull up some folks off the JV, then you can develop some momentum and talent for next year.

I think 8 champs is a little silly, but I don't have a huge problem with all these teams making the playoffs (well, except teams 49-64 that they cut off the bottom of the 1A brackets). There are always people who argue against motherhood and springtime, but shouldn't we all be in favor of more football?

It needs to be simplified. We only need two classifications. Big and small. Big is over 1000 students. Anything less is small. Two champs and call it a day. No fuss, no muss... everybody is happy.

It needs to be simplified. We only need two classifications. Big and small. Big is over 1000 students. Anything less is small. Two champs and call it a day. No fuss, no muss... everybody is happy.
So from North Davidson at 1004 to South Mecklenburg at 2970 in "Big" and let's say Andrews High at 280 (not sure which teams are non-football playing at lower numbers) to East Duplin at 996 in little?

Naw can't see where anybody would put up a fuss over that...;)

Might as well just have one class, lol. No fuss????? Yeah right.

With 2 divisions you don't have the Murphys of the world beating their chest over being the tallest midget. If they're really all that they can take it to a school with more kids. Same goes for North Davidson in the "Big" division. Its ridicules to have 8 state champions. 2 is plenty. At least those 2 teams will know they actually accomplished something.

Dude did you see the discrepancy in numbers?

That is like Elon taking on Alabama.

Just ain't right but at least in your proposal a couple of the large schools in both classifications will accomplish something.

Why not just one like was suggested above then?

Make one HS feel big?

Dude did you see the discrepancy in numbers?

That is like Elon taking on Alabama.

Just ain't right but at least in your proposal a couple of the large schools in both classifications will accomplish something.

Why not just one like was suggested above then?

Make one HS feel big?
What SimmonsRating suggested is a good ideal send it to the NCHSAA it means more money for them. Most states already have at least five classifications anyway. NC. is way behind everybody else in football.

What SimmonsRating suggested is a good ideal send it to the NCHSAA it means more money for them. Most states already have at least five classifications anyway. NC. is way behind everybody else in football.
I got no problem with his proposal. It is a lot more equitable than 2 classes.

With 2 divisions you don't have the Murphys of the world beating their chest over being the tallest midget. If they're really all that they can take it to a school with more kids. Same goes for North Davidson in the "Big" division. Its ridicules to have 8 state champions. 2 is plenty. At least those 2 teams will know they actually accomplished something.
Just wondering, would you do away with weight classes in boxing?

Have heavyweights go against flyweights? Or say middleweights up "big" class and everyone else be "little" class?

Think that is a comparable situation. Then Mayweather couldn't be "tallest" midget.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT