ADVERTISEMENT

MEC 2022

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
The MEC is typically and average or below average conference. Being in a split conference will drag down the bigger schools SOS. It is also very hard for the smaller schools to have to play a handful of games every year against much larger schools. We all know this. This conference has been completly dominated by Hoggard and NH. Hoggard has 13 conference championships since 2003 and NH has 3.
The MEC has also struggled over the past 20 years because of Laney and Ashley. Laney had one of the best teams in Wilmington’s football history in 2001-2002. They lost to one of the best teams in the country (Indy) lead by one of the best QB in the country (Leak). Laney was 7-5 and 6-5 the following 2 seasons and then had 6 straight losing seasons by going 23-44. They went 6-6, 8-4 the next 2 seasons before falling off again and going 39-49 before the Luke Little hire. Laney went 2-5 in his first season which was shorten because of Covid but the Bucs were much improved last season and finished 9-3 with wins over DH Conley, New Hanover and FV. Things are looking up at Buctown and football fans in the area are glad. Laney has not been a player in this conference for too long and it makes for better football when Laney is competing for conference championships which they do in just about every other sport. I think Little has done a good job keeping kids from leaving which has been a big problem. If that continues Laney will be a factor for years to come. I expect Laney to be right there this year which will greatly help this conference.
As for Ashley, no school in the area has lost more talent over the years than Ashley. This school opened in 2001 and they just haven’t been able to build anything. Ashley has had 1 winning season when they went 8-4 in 2004. They have a record of 59-164 and they have only won 15 games during their last 8 seasons. The middle schools that feed Ashley and usually strong and they have the talent coming in but have not been able to find the right formula. Ashley should be competing for the conference title every 4-5 years or so but they are one of the worse football programs in the state. Ashley did show signs of improvement last season as they hung in most games for 3 quarters before running out of gas. They have lost some key pieces off that team to transfers this season so I doubt they will take a step forward.
New Hanover struggled last season because they absolutely could not throw the ball. NH had a good defense and actually moved the ball well at times but they just were not good enough to to beat anyone good being so one dimensional. They will be much improved in that category this year and I expect them to be much better overall. I think NH and Laney will battle for second place in the conference this year. It should be a good close game.
Hoggard will be the team to beat again this year as they seek their 3rd straight conference championship. The Vikes return a very strong front 7 and should be very good on the O line. I think their O line next year will be even better. Hoggard has a new QB under center, Hudson Wilharm and he looks great. He looks to step in and continue the great QB play that Hoggard has enjoyed for years. Hoggards biggest concern is at secondary where they are replacing 2 good CB and two good safeties, one who was all state and maybe one of the best defensive plays in school history.

Hoggard
Laney
NH
SB
NB
WB
Topsail
Ashley

The MEC finished the Bash at the Beach Jamboree this weekend and things are looking up this year. I feel the talent level is up across the board and it should be an interesting year. I was impressed with Laneys offense as they moved the ball in the air and on the ground against Havelock. I was also impressed with WB as they came out hot and held on to beat Pinecrest. I know scrimmages mean different things for different coaches but every game in this jamboree was played hard and mostly with starters. All the teams seem to play to win and mixed things up. Not much vanilla play calling which made for some fun games to watch. Below are the scores from each game.

S. Brunswick 38 S. Columbus 24
Laney 38 Havelock 24
Hoggard 7 Rose 21
Topsail 3 E. Duplin 10
W. Brunswick 21 Pinecrest 13
N. Brunswick 13 WRH 0
New Hanover 14 Whiteville 20
E. Bladen 48 Ashley 20

New Hanover comes to Charlotte to play Butler week three. Heard NH has some size and like to run the ball although the QB returns. What do you think?

New Hanover comes to Charlotte to play Butler week three. Heard NH has some size and like to run the ball although the QB returns. What do you think?
NH will try to run the ball but Coach Dimock likes to run a balanced attack. NH could not throw it last year and both of the QB have graduated. NH had a nice transfer from Ashley come in and he will start at QB. He is a gods athlete with a strong arm. He is not the most accurate passer in our conference but NH will look different. They played two QB yesterday and the backup had a nice arm to. Whiteville ranon the Wildcats. Dimock is very creative with his play calling and he will need to call a great game to try and keep Butler off balanced.

Reactions: rrconoldguy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT